Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 10:10   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Sujai : I am super happy with my PR4 and downsized Michelin for rear and you may want to consider this combo priced at INR 14K.

Versys has become even more lithe and nimble and bends more eagerly into corners and not to mention the ridiculously high life of these tyres and will easily last you 20K kms for sure. I have done some good speeds on trails and in the off-beaten paths and the confidence levels are satisfactory (compared to the stock, ofcourse)

P.S : You are doing 2000kms in 2 weeks? Where you heading? Looks like you are in a hurry to wear them existing tyres off and get the new ones
Old 28th February 2018, 12:06   #167
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sujai : I am super happy with my PR4 and downsized Michelin for rear and you may want to consider this combo priced at INR 14K.
Hi Avi,

Michelin PR4 itself costs 14k now and Pilot Street 150/60 R17 is costing near to 5.5k. Hence there is no price advantage. Not sure when the prices went up!

At similar prices - I figured I'm better off sticking the stock sizes. Else PR4 is an absolutely amazing rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S : You are doing 2000kms in 2 weeks? Where you heading? Looks like you are in a hurry to wear them existing tyres off and get the new ones
VBR Bangalore Anniversary Ride this weekend ~ 450 kms.

~1300 kms overnighter planned the next weekend if all goes well. Long time since a really long trip that makes us fall in love with Versys again and again.

Will update soon once plans are confirmed.
Old 1st March 2018, 20:15   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
~1300 kms overnighter planned the next weekend if all goes well. Long time since a really long trip that makes us fall in love with Versys again and again.
Wife has given an ultimatum to purchase riding boots before this ride, if her approvals are to be provided for my plans. Infact, she has offered to sponsor the boots.

Best time to pick one up and retire my trusted pair of Woodlands from riding duties.

Choices (in order).

1. Dainese TRQ Tour GORE-TEX - 26k.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-images-9.jpeg

2. Triumph Alpinestars Toucan GORE-TEX - 26k.

(Although it will be outrageous wearing Triumph boots on a Kawasaki. )

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-fe614def6c597899b2784056cc1ef02c_orig.jpg

3. Forma Adventure Dry-Tex - 17k.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-images-8.jpeg

Need to try all of these in person over the upcoming weekend.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st March 2018 at 20:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 21:03   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wife has given an ultimatum to purchase riding boots before this ride, if her approvals are to be provided for my plans. Infact, she has offered to sponsor the boots.
====
Need to try all of these in person over the upcoming weekend.
The Alpinestars Toucans are good, really worth the money if you can put up with the Triumph logo (the originals cost somewhere between 40-50k IIRC).

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2018 at 12:13. Reason: Trimming the quote. Thanks.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 21:34   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wife has given an ultimatum to purchase riding boots before this ride
If this is your first pair of proper riding boots, then it is best to go for something that is mid shin or similar to ankle length boots like the Dianese in your pics above. And goretex is a good material to go for in the riding boots. It is airy as well as waterproof so good to use it both in summer as well as occasional rains.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 21:41   #171
Senior - BHPian

I would like to suggest to you the Italian Sidi Aria Goretex Black waterproof touring boots to you. One of the best in the business and very comfortable over time -

https://bikegear.in/sidi-aria-gore-t...s-online-india

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 22:22   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
The Alpinestars Toucans are good, really worth the money if you can put up with the Triumph logo (the originals cost somewhere between 40-50k IIRC).
Thanks Anil. Alipinestars one costs 32k on bikegear.in. Triumph branded one is more expensive internationally - but is interestingly more VFM here.

Will surely take a call once I visit the Triumph showroom on Saturday. On my Versys.

Hopefully they wont convince me to upgrade bike instead. Customer service and followup is absolutely amazing at Keerthi Triumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If this is your first pair of proper riding boots, then it is best to go for something that is mid shin or similar to ankle length boots like the Dianese in your pics above. And goretex is a good material to go for in the riding boots. It is airy as well as waterproof so good to use it both in summer as well as occasional rains.
Yes Abhinav. Thank you.

This would be my first and only pair of riding boots. I had purchased everything else when it comes to riding gear but had to adjust with my tractor Woodlands till now due to some budget constraints.

Have an excellent experience purchasing a Dainese jacket - so this one stands a good chance. Goretex, solid shin and heel protection, angle twist protection etc are major highlights.

Moreover - Looks like a riding boot for all days and all seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would like to suggest to you the Italian Sidi Aria Goretex Black waterproof touring boots to you. One of the best in the business and very comfortable over time -

https://bikegear.in/sidi-aria-gore-t...s-online-india

Cheers...
Thanks Dhiraj.

Very nice option that I completely missed during shortlisting. Infact - I had a couple of other Sidi models in my shortlist, most of them were just too off road oriented.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st March 2018 at 22:25.
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:43   #173
BHPian

I am using these boots for the past 8 months, got them from US for 19k, it's 23k here. Waterproof but not as breathable as the Goretex version. Will take few riding days and not hours to break in as any ADV boot will take more time to break in as compared to the sport oriented boots.

https://bikegear.in/riding-boots/alp...s-online-india
atul.ktm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:00   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.ktm View Post
I am using these boots for the past 8 months, got them from US for 19k, it's 23k here.
Thanks Atul.

You got a very nice deal at 19k. Corozal is really one of the best mid budget shoes out there.

But the same VFM doesn't apply here unfortunately. At 23k, it is way too close to the Triumph Alpinestars Toucan GoreTex which is their premium boot above the Corozal. GoreTex, Aluminium buckles, Hinged and movable hard shin protection as against fixed ones on the Corozal seals the deal.

They have an ~200$ price difference in dollars - so 3k is just pocket change in comparison. Not sure how the Triumph one is much cheaper than the Alpinestars in India. But I'm not complaining.

This review really explains the two -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd March 2018 at 11:07.
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:33   #175
BHPian

Quote:
They have an ~200$ price difference in dollars - so 3k is just pocket change in comparison. Not sure how the Triumph one is much cheaper than the Alpinestars in India. But I'm not complaining.
Yes, a friend got full set of triumph riding gear while buying his Tiger, even I was surprised to know the price.

Nevertheless, for 26k, you cannot get a better boot than this!
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:08   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

All this is fine. Remember that breaking in these boots is going to be hell. I had to wear my tcx for 10 days around home just to break them in.

Secondly, the stiffer boots will make it very difficult to walk in after getting off the bike. True adv boots are extremely stiff, going over to the mx style.

Do your research and get something thats more malleable so you can walk a little. Revzilla talks about this point independently on each boot review.

Further for standing up riding, i would choose an adv boot with lugs and not the sport touring versions. The part between the heel and the balls of your feet need to be strong to support your weight when standing and not flex. Also lugs means they will not slip when the pegs are wet.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd March 2018 at 12:18.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 23:49   #177
Team-BHP Support

Sneak preview of the weekend event -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20180304_075545_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0164.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Praveen KM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Do your research and get something thats more malleable so you can walk a little. Revzilla talks about this point independently on each boot review.

Further for standing up riding, i would choose an adv boot with lugs and not the sport touring versions.
Thanks Ramana.

Visited Triumph, Biking Spirit, Dainese Brand Store and Orion Motors yesterday and none of them had my size for whichever shoe I liked. Well, that did leave me a bit confused as well - because I don't see myself going to offroading soon and footpeg riding will be limited to very rare occasions.
I do ride a Ninja 650 at times as well, and also might pick up the N1000 over a more adventure focussed machine when the upgrade opportunity presents itself. So yeah, I'm certainly more highway tourer than offroad enthusiast and hence the preference has gone back to Dainese TRQ Tour once again.

Got a couple of days to decide, while I wait for stocks to arrive at these shops.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20180303_120311_1600.jpg
Forma was available in my size.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20180303_120343_1600.jpg
One of the softer 'adventure' boots and much softer than the Alpinestars Toucan. Still is too stiff to use on motorcycles other than adventure tourers.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20180303_121414_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20180303_121420_1600.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20180303_175207_1600.jpg
Dainese TRQ Tour Goretex on the left. Not available in my size. Dainese Freeland GoreTex on the right. Not impressed.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img_20180303_180213_1600.jpg
Trying the Freeland GoreTex to check for Italian size and comfort. Was certainly one of the 'cooler' shoes I tried on, possibly due to the GoreTex membrane.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th March 2018 at 00:10.
Old 4th March 2018, 23:52   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Good, you are really thinking this through.

I would get the Dainese tour for sport touring. Sidi makes some great options there too and dare i say better, worth a check.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 10:56   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Sujai : I would not recommend you to get those tall boots with those fancy buckles in the name of ADV touring boots as they would be really uncomfortable to wear and will take real long time to break them in

Though the budget you have kept aside assuming is 25K for the boots is quite a lot. I think you will get great shoes in the 7k-12K range and should be more than sufficient for touring needs

What you really need with respect to protection and comfort are :

Toe Protection
Heel Protection
Shin Protection (Shin length is enough)
Airy so you feet is not hot from wearing it for long hours
And, ofcourse good quality for durability

I am using these for last 4+ years and they are just fantastic and great value for money (I paid 10K or less when I personally got them from US).

They are easy to wear and keep them on for long hours. Didn't take much time to break them in and best part is I dont walk in them like a bodybuilder or a robot

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...o-air-rr-boots

To summarize, look for ones that can do a job and dont get confused by too many fancy options. Check the Puma shin length ones too as some of my friends wear them and are quite good
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 11:02   #180
Team-BHP Support

Versys Bangalore Riders 2nd Anniversary Meet

Some more pics from the event - which was easily one of the largest in India (excluding HOG) in terms of gathering of 'superbikes' of a single make (and brand).

5:15AM - Assembling at Hebbal, for people coming from North Bangalore -

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0142.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Pramod

At Neelamangala Meeting Point - 6 AM.
One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0157.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Praveen KM

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0076.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Bobby

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0161.jpg

Breakfast stop - Hotel Mayura

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0035.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Sandeep Kammar

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0039.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Murali Ram

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0102.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Bobby

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0131.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Pramod

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0159.jpg

Final location - Shettihalli Church.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0060.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Vishal Vishwambaran

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0066.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Bobby

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0075.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Bobby

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0077.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Bobby

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0125.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Pramod

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0126.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Pramod

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0162.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0166.jpg

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0169.jpg

Your's truly.

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0117.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Pramod

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0092.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Bobby

One bike to tame them all! 'Black Panther' - My Kawasaki Versys 650. Edit: Now sold!-img20180304wa0091.jpg
Pic Courtesy - Bobby

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th March 2018 at 11:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks