Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2018, 08:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The return of Godzilla - My Kawasaki Versys 650

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 08:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Great choice. I use the slightly similar ST603 for my Z800. The only problem I found was that on high speed riding, the outer ring of the tank lid has started to veer away from the mount causing the tank lid to go offset. It takes some effort to lock the tank lid after refuelling.

The return of Godzilla - My Kawasaki Versys 650-f2c262a5eaa342b582b246ea7f344551.jpeg

Congrats on the bike V12! The Versys 650 is a great bike.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st June 2018 at 08:45.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 15:57   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the wishes Moralfibre! I never knew you bought a Z800 - where is the ownership thread?

Which flange kit are you using? The BF26 or the BF04?

You have a lovely bike with a sweet exhaust. Are you going to be putting up an ownership thread?
Old 1st June 2018, 16:31   #19
BHPian

Congrats on another Kawasaki!

Since you've owned and ridden Z800 and now the Versys, I would want to ask you a couple of question. Is it really difficult to go from 4 cylinders to 2 cylinders? Or does the superb comfort of the Versys makes up for the 2 less cylinders? Do you miss the Z800?

I am sort of in a similar predicament. Still holding on to the Z until I am sure that Tourer is the way to go.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:47   #20
BHPian

Congratulations v12.

You are going to love owning this machine, wish you happy and safe miles on your new steed!
atul.ktm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 17:16   #21
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Congrats on another Kawasaki!

Since you've owned and ridden Z800 and now the Versys, I would want to ask you a couple of question. Is it really difficult to go from 4 cylinders to 2 cylinders? Or does the superb comfort of the Versys makes up for the 2 less cylinders? Do you miss the Z800?

I am sort of in a similar predicament. Still holding on to the Z until I am sure that Tourer is the way to go.
Thanks Anshuman! Yes, I still miss the Z a lot. For me the Z800 was not about performance or high speed. It was more of a dream come true than anything else. More than anything else, I miss the smoothness and the sound of the Z800. The comfort of the Versys does make up - but you will still miss all that in the Versys.

To have the best of both the worlds, I believe the Versys 1000 or the Triumph Tiger would be an ideal upgrade. Versys 1000, however is outdated - the new Tiger seems to be the ideal option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.ktm View Post
Congratulations v12.

You are going to love owning this machine, wish you happy and safe miles on your new steed!
Thanks Atul!!! Your thread and videos did help me make this decision.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 17:20   #22
BHPian

Congrats on your new machine and wishing you many miles of fun on it. How does it compare with the D390 in the city? I find the gear ratios of the D390 unfriendly for our city roads, now that you have both bikes, is the Versys better?
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 19:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Allen, your Versys looks fabulous with the classy add-ons. Wish you many, many miles of joy and happiness.

I will be looking to buy a naked bike once I am back towards the end of this month, will get in touch with you then.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 18:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Allen. This is a bike that will beg you to start doing longer haul trips.

Enjoy!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 13:13   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on the bike.

Ahura is a bikers paradise on Sundays. It's like a bike exhibition and you get to see every bike available for sale in India.

You can also try these routes:
Charoti -> Jawhar -> Igatpuri: Basically you go down NH 48 and return via NH 160. The roads are broken after Jawhar, but should not be a problem for Versys

Mahim beach, Palgar: You can ride on the beach, also the route is scenic and not much traffic.
sumithb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 20:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations V12 on your marriage and bike!

Fabulous review of your Godzilla and relevant assessories. A real switch from the Z to the V.

Could you please elaborate on the acceleration difference (seat of the pants feel if you will) between the Z and V.

Are you a fan of The Phantom? Loved your start "For those who came in late"

Wish you tons of happiness in life with both your wives!

Ride safe.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 14:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great thread for a great bike. Keep it revving now.

And many Congratulations

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 17:48   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Congrats on your new machine and wishing you many miles of fun on it. How does it compare with the D390 in the city? I find the gear ratios of the D390 unfriendly for our city roads, now that you have both bikes, is the Versys better?
Compared to the Duke 390 - the Versys is more rideable within the city. In normal traffic, on the Versys you could still crawl through in 2nd gear - but the Duke, you had to be in 1st. The Duke also got very much heated in traffic. The Versys does get heated too - but not as quick as the Duke. And more of the heat if dissipated at the lower half of the bike. So this happened when I was just around my house and was wearing floaters - felt a lot of heat on the right side near the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Congrats Allen, your Versys looks fabulous with the classy add-ons. Wish you many, many miles of joy and happiness.

I will be looking to buy a naked bike once I am back towards the end of this month, will get in touch with you then.

Cheers
Thank you Hiren! Its been a long time since we last met. Let me know when you are down and we can catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Congratulations Allen. This is a bike that will beg you to start doing longer haul trips.

Enjoy!
Thank you RedLiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Congratulations on the bike.

Ahura is a bikers paradise on Sundays. It's like a bike exhibition and you get to see every bike available for sale in India.

You can also try these routes:
Charoti -> Jawhar -> Igatpuri: Basically you go down NH 48 and return via NH 160. The roads are broken after Jawhar, but should not be a problem for Versys

Mahim beach, Palgar: You can ride on the beach, also the route is scenic and not much traffic.
Thank you Sumit! Yes, Ahura is like a bike exhibition - you get to see all the types and brands of bikes there in the morning. The roads towards Ahura are awesome and there is hardly any traffic on either sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations V12 on your marriage and bike!

Fabulous review of your Godzilla and relevant assessories. A real switch from the Z to the V.

Could you please elaborate on the acceleration difference (seat of the pants feel if you will) between the Z and V.

Are you a fan of The Phantom? Loved your start "For those who came in late"

Wish you tons of happiness in life with both your wives!

Ride safe.

Cheers
Thank you Cyborg! The difference between the Z and Versys is like night and day. To put it into figures, the Z800 can hit the ton in 3.5s - whereas the Versys takes around 5s. I haven't tried these figures since I have hardly even touched these speeds . But in simple words, you can feel the rush and acceleration in the Z800 and its scary - whereas the Versys the acceleration is very sedate.

And yes, I am a big "Ph"an of The Phantom comics series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Great thread for a great bike. Keep it revving now.

And many Congratulations

Cheers...
Thank you very much Dkaile Sir! More than your bike - I love your thread and detailed descriptions.

I had a query for you - since you have LED'ed your N1000 - I needed your advise on the LED bulbs that I would need for the Versys :

Headlight (powerful and bright LED bulbs which will be a direct fit and not need any cutting of the plastics)
Turn Signals (Do I also need to change the flasher)
Pilot Lights
Number Plate light

I did go through your thread and I feel that the bulbs you have used should be the same for the Versys - but need some guidance.

Thanks a lot in advance!
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 18:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Compared to the Duke 390 - the Versys is more rideable within the city. In normal traffic, on the Versys you could still crawl through in 2nd gear - but the Duke, you had to be in 1st. The Duke also got very much heated in traffic. The Versys does get heated too - but not as quick as the Duke. And more of the heat if dissipated at the lower half of the bike.
Thank you very much for this update. 12 months and only 2000 kms on my 2017 D390 should tell you how much I hate riding the bike in the city. Trust me post 4-5K rpm the bike sings beautifully but having to drop to 1st gear every 100mtrs has taken the joy away from riding the bike. Needless to say I will be looking at my options to upgrade/replace shortly so your observations help
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 20:37   #30
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Thank you very much for this update. 12 months and only 2000 kms on my 2017 D390 should tell you how much I hate riding the bike in the city. Trust me post 4-5K rpm the bike sings beautifully but having to drop to 1st gear every 100mtrs has taken the joy away from riding the bike. Needless to say I will be looking at my options to upgrade/replace shortly so your observations help
Agree with you deepfreak - I too had covered similar mileage on the Duke during the one year that I had it. I would suggest you to wait for the VStrom 650, the 310 and the 390 Adv and then make your decision.

Coming to the LED conversion, I went through this video on YouTube and below are the bulbs / flasher that were used. Planning to order the same.

Flasher / Relay
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...cycle/787/842/

LED Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075Q9RGZW...vert-amazon-20

Last edited by v12 : 18th June 2018 at 20:38.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks