Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 13:31   #31
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT : Adventure bike done just right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post

The biggest factor is the way the engine cylinder heads are positioned. The Tiger's cylinders are positioned way up there, right under the tank which makes it top heavy and gives the feeling of the bike tipping over at standstill or slow speeds and off-road situations, especially for shorter riders. The V-Strom's cylinder heads are positioned significantly lower in comparison which lowers the center of mass and makes it feel so much lighter.

You are absolutely right there. It is the top heaviness of the tiger that makes it a bit overwhelming at standstill. Speaking of which you should check out the KTM 790 adventure video by mototrek. Amazing bike and complete mid segment killer. They have lowered the CG and weight by lowering the fuel tank significantly. Does not look so great but apparently makes the bike feel super light.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:39   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
You are absolutely right there. It is the top heaviness of the tiger that makes it a bit overwhelming at standstill. Speaking of which you should check out the KTM 790 adventure video by mototrek. Amazing bike and complete mid segment killer. They have lowered the CG and weight by lowering the fuel tank significantly. Does not look so great but apparently makes the bike feel super light.
I absolutely love the way it looks... Way way over anything else sold on the market today. Yes, i am loaded on vitamin C not so much on M.

If that bike comes here at about 11 or 12, say a rational good bye to all the other bikes in that spectrum in india.

That said, my biggest issue with such big bikes has been the weight, and an unnecessary amount of power that atleast i only used about 35-40% of on average over a few years. And ofcourse the price of body parts if you try and get too adventurous.

Congrats ranjith, the vstrom would have been my choice as well three years back.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 14:20   #33
BHPian

re: Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Ranjit, out of curiosity, was there any reason as to why you didnt consider the Multistrada 950 / 1200 / 1260? I hear it can take you to the moon and back without worry. Well, you might have to worry about the desmo service that might make you bankrupt but other than that it seems to be a fantastic GS / Tiger challenger.
I felt that the 1260, like the Tiger Explorer, was just way too big and expensive for me. Plus I wanted a motorcycle that I could use as much as possible, not just for touring. Amazing machine but not for a guy of my size and needs.

I felt that the Tiger and the 950 were in the same segment. I have very good friends who have owned Tigers for a while now and I had access to a lot of great feedback on long term ownership. Plus I borrowed one for a month to try out. I knew exactly what owning a Tiger entailed.

Ducati was a bit of an unknown quantity. I had heard stories (anecdotal, not factual) about the expensive desmo service. And finally, Ducati did not give me a test drive. I visited the showroom and they wouldn't let me try any bike, let alone the 950. They had my number and I did follow up. I do get the occasional promotional message from them though

So it came down to the V-Strom and the Tiger 800.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 16:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Ducati was a bit of an unknown quantity. I had heard stories (anecdotal, not factual) about the expensive desmo service. And finally, Ducati did not give me a test drive. I visited the showroom and they wouldn't let me try any bike, let alone the 950. They had my number and I did follow up. I do get the occasional promotional message from them though
This is surprising! I had test-ridden the Multi 1260S last year.

The response from Ducati, Pune was splendid. They got the bike to my home at Kothrud and we went for a 40 km test-ride on the NH48 + city commute (Baner to Kothrud). The only negative was that the SA was riding pillion on that massive beast which resulted in added weight on a bike which I was riding for the first time.

However, it was an amazing experience to ride the machine and realize that it wasn't the right bike for my requirement.

As far as city riding goes, it's not built for that. The heat was unbearable in B2B traffic at signals. Also I didn't have any riding gear then, so was wearing jeans, which resulted into a full blast of the engine-heat. The engine was also noticeably gruff/vibrated a lot in Low power mode and wasn't as silky as the VStrom's. This isn't an apple-to-apple comparison though. Being a litre-class engine I could sense that it wasn't happy going slow (this observation was at 60-70 kph).

PS: the 1260S (and the 2019 950) both have an electronically adjustable rear suspension that reduces the pre-load with the touch of a button, which in-turn lowers the seat. It's a magical feature. My feet gave more love to the earth on the 1260S than they could do on the VStrom 650. Which is saying a lot about how versatile the 1260S is. I love the Multi 1260S and hope to bring one home some day when I'm done with Inline-4's.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Ranjit, out of curiosity, was there any reason as to why you didnt consider the Multistrada 950 / 1200 / 1260? I hear it can take you to the moon and back without worry. Well, you might have to worry about the desmo service that might make you bankrupt but other than that it seems to be a fantastic GS / Tiger challenger.
Ofcourse it can take you to the moon and back .... and in quite some style as well

Quote:
And finally, Ducati did not give me a test drive. I visited the showroom and they wouldn't let me try any bike, let alone the 950.
That's really shocking. VST Ducati here in Bangalore gave a couple of my friends 100km+ test rides on the highway for the 1260S - without any riding pillion as well. SA was following on a 950 - and there were no speed restrictions or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
As far as city riding goes, it's not built for that. The heat was unbearable in B2B traffic at signals. Also I didn't have any riding gear then, so was wearing jeans, which resulted into a full blast of the engine-heat. The engine was also noticeably gruff/vibrated a lot in Low power mode and wasn't as silky as the VStrom's. This isn't an apple-to-apple comparison though. Being a litre-class engine I could sense that it wasn't happy going slow (this observation was at 60-70 kph).
Well said - 1260S is not a city bike. The engine is quite gruff and vibey at low rpms and you feel the heat :-) Once you cross 2.5k rpm though - its another story - you have to be really in control of your right wrist to not do crazy speeds.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 22:26   #36
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations!

Your review reminded me of the Versys in many ways - and I can totally relate to everything you say - the VStrom being a better bike in many ways compared to the now outdated Versys. Wish you a long happy ownership.

@Sukiwa: Looks like you are the powerhouse behind many brilliant ownership reports! Hats off!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
@Sukiwa: Looks like you are the powerhouse behind many brilliant ownership reports! Hats off!
Yes he is. Here's Sukiwa taking that perfect shot. Wet conditions, mud, crows and stray dogs be damned.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-img_5769.jpg
ranjitnair77 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 15:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Sharing few photos that were missed out by me.

Soaking in drizzle
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-_dsc5892.jpg

Peeping through the bushes
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-_dsc5916.jpg

Barkbusters
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-img_8530.jpg

Silent spectator, his master wasn't seen nearby though
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-_dsc5993.jpg

The tool
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-_dsc5973.jpg

In order to reduce repetitive photos, have created GIFs.

Console 1 : Modes for Traction Control
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-console1.gif

Console 2: MID for Range, Battery voltage, Average (Total, Trip1 avg & Trip2 Avg)
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-console2.gif

Hopping onto bike
Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-gettingontobike.gif

Going downhill
Name:  Offroad.gif
Views: 2951
Size:  2.90 MB

When I was clicking this & later on editing it, I was getting reminded of Lancer Cedia images from Joe. Although he has moved on to Wedding photography, he would definitely laugh at this reference, link to his decade old post (Blackhawk, will you be mine? (A different kind of TD report on Mitsubishi Cedia)).

Quote:
So go ahead. Buy that motorcycle you've always wanted
Smile on your face is going to be contagious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
@Sukiwa: Looks like you are the powerhouse behind many brilliant ownership reports!
Glad that you noticed.
Wish to contribute in some measure to different ownership reviews in future as well.

Quote:
Wet conditions, mud, crows and stray dogs be damned.
LOL

P.S. Not all GIF files are displaying as intended, known issue on forum. I had thought it's limited only to previews, hope it gets resolved soon.

Last edited by sukiwa : 24th August 2019 at 15:46. Reason: addition about GIF files
sukiwa is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 19:18   #39
BHPian

Givi AF3112 Airflow Windshield Install.

The biggest ergonomic issue with the V-Strom is the windshield which causes buffeting for me so I was looking for an upgrade. Since I was traveling to the US, I managed to pick up a Givi Airflow for $160 from Revzilla and carried it back with me. They sell bike specific versions of the product.

https://www.givi.it/givi-products/wi...irflow/airflow

Installation was a 10 minute DIY job. The windshield has a base section and the top section which slides up and down. The only thing fiddly was the transfer of the four rubber grommets from the old windshield to the new one.

First Impressions

A few short rides indicate that it definitely works. The screen at the lowest setting has shifted the buffeting from my chin area to above my head. Givi says that the two-part design creates a Venturi effect that causes a nice clean bubble in which the rider sits. The 12cm extension range should help riders of all heights. The shield is solidly built and does flex at speeds but nothing that should bother a rider.

I think I will stick to the lowest setting for now. A longer day of touring will be more indicative of how effective this screen is. I'm very happy with it. Here are some photos.

The front base. I had to remove the front number plate holder as it fouls with the windscreen. I will use a number plate sticker instead.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-frontbase.jpg

The front at the lowest setting.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-frontlow.jpg

From the rider seat at the lowest setting. This is the preferred setting for me.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-backlow.jpg

At the highest setting. It is comically high.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-fronthigh.jpg

And from the back.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-backhigh.jpg

The side view. Flip the two latches to move the shield up and down. It takes a few seconds. Everything seems solidly put together.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed-side.jpg
ranjitnair77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest ergonomic issue with the V-Strom is the windshield which causes buffeting for me so I was looking for an upgrade. Since I was traveling to the US, I managed to pick up a Givi Airflow for $160 from Revzilla and carried it back with me. They sell bike specific versions of the product.
That's a must have accessory for V-strom. And honestly, that's one of the reason for which I am still holding on to the decision of buying V-strom! One question though. With this airflow windshield, do you feel that it interferes with your vision of the road during ride? The main reason of asking it is, since its divided into two panels, the lower panel actually ends somewhere in-between. Just want to understand whether you evaluated the other single panel option and still decided to go with airflow?

https://www.givi.it/my-motorcycle/pr...screen/d3112st

Last edited by ampere : 3rd November 2019 at 14:00. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
With this airflow windshield, do you feel that it interferes with your vision of the road during ride?
Potential buffeting from the windshield is a minor issue with an otherwise terrific motorcycle. You might find that the stock windshield is perfectly fine for you as everything depends on your size and how you sit. Get the bike, ride it on a couple of tours before you do anything.

The lower panel does not affect the vision at all. The upper panel is currently at the lowest setting which has eliminated buffeting for me. It is higher than stock so it is more in the line of vision but it doesn't bother me. The only time I had slight difficulty was when I was riding in the dark, in a persistent drizzle. In such situations, you can completely take the top part off. It's a 30 second job.

I didn't consider a single panel option as I didn't know if it would work without trying it on which was not feasible. With the airflow, I knew that I could adjust it till it worked which was awesome.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 2nd November 2019 at 14:17.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 13:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Potential buffeting from the windshield is a minor issue with an otherwise terrific motorcycle. You might find that the stock windshield is perfectly fine for you as everything depends on your size and how you sit. Get the bike, ride it on a couple of tours before you do anything.
Thanks for prompt reply. When I took a test drive, I witnessed both the issues. Yes, wind buffeting was certainly there. However, more than that, somehow with the stock windshield at the highest position, I found that its top edge was interfering my view of the road. So, until I am able to arrange a Givi windshield from the US, this is going to be a problem for me, if I purchase the bike now. I know, for many folks its a minor issue but somehow its an important point for me to address since its more to do with the safety during ride on highways! Is there any way we can get this Givi windshield in India directly through any channel partner?

Last edited by ampere : 3rd November 2019 at 14:01. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 3rd November 2019, 15:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I found that its top edge was interfering my view of the road. So, until I am able to arrange a Givi windshield from the US, this is going to be a problem for me, if I purchase the bike now.
A few points from my side.
  • If the stock windshield is in your line of vision, the Givi will certainly be in your line of vision.
  • On most motorcycles. No buffeting = windshield in your line of vision.
  • On most motorcycles. No windshield in you line of vision = buffeting.
  • You cannot have both regardless of which aftermarket windshield you put.
  • Your eyes get used to a windshield very quickly. You will barely notice it in a day or two. It is certainly not a hazard.

Givi doesn't sell this in India so you will have to get it down from overseas. I picked mine up from the US.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 20:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
A few points from my side.
  • If the stock windshield is in your line of vision, the Givi will certainly be in your line of vision.
  • On most motorcycles. No buffeting = windshield in your line of vision.
  • On most motorcycles. No windshield in you line of vision = buffeting.
  • You cannot have both regardless of which aftermarket windshield you put.
  • Your eyes get used to a windshield very quickly. You will barely notice it in a day or two. It is certainly not a hazard.

Givi doesn't sell this in India so you will have to get it down from overseas. I picked mine up from the US.
Let me paraphrase it in case if I created some confusion. Its more of where the windshield ends than looking through it :-) From that perspective the options from Givi might be very helpful than stock one. Hopefully, I will be able to catch you on your way to office someday and have a look at your windshield personally to clarify my doubts :-) Had been very patient for last so many months on narrowing down on this decision. So, I better plan for it from all angles! Thanks again.
How is your servicing experience with Dreams Suzuki? I am keen on understanding the servicing time and quality than anything else. Any issues with regular spare part availability? The test bike had a very hard clutch. Have you ever faced issue with it? Have you put a spare clutch cable alongside as a backup for long rides?
Old 3rd November 2019, 23:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Let me paraphrase it in case if I created some confusion. Its more of where the windshield ends than looking through it :-)

How is your servicing experience with Dreams Suzuki? I am keen on understanding the servicing time and quality than anything else. Any issues with regular spare part availability? The test bike had a very hard clutch. Have you ever faced issue with it? Have you put a spare clutch cable alongside as a backup for long rides?
No confusion really, I understood your point. I was talking about the windshield edge too. My point was even if you feel that the edge comes in your line of vision, you will soon adjust and it becomes a non issue.

I've just done one service so I can't really tell. The service experience was okay but I sat in when the bike was being done to ensure satisfaction. There is also Slipstream Performance run by Kunal Bhaskaran who does a stellar job with big bikes so things should be okay on that front if there is an issue in the future. The only spare replaced was an oil filter so I don't know about availability of other parts.

The clutch is not hard at all. Just a two finger pull. I haven't felt the need to carry spare cables. Please feel free to come over and check out the windshield any time you like. Since I couldn't send you a PM, you can email me at firstname dot lastname (at) gmail dot com.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks