Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 07:48   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2020 KTM 890 Duke R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Same old aesthetic. All the KTM Dukes are almost indistinguishable from each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That’s a very Indian prejudice. The countries where these bikes are sold the most, people who buy them usually don’t care.
I guess its a valid feeling to feel as such. Personally I don’t care and I would pick a street triple all over again if I had the inclination and not care it looks punier than many smaller bikes as long as it ticks the box for me. But I can understand if it matters to some people. Buying a big bike is a sense of occasion for nearly everyone who buys it here unlike overseas where they genuinely simply use it as their daily commuter.

When I think about it actually I realise this is just how the market is now. Back in the day, a big bike looked snazzy, had great lines and looked like - well - a BIG bike. And commuter bikes in contrast looked like a Hero Honda Splendor. There was an immediate and very apparent distinction between the two.

Two things have changed since then. Indian commuter and commuter plus bikes have started looking really snazzy as well as “chunky”. Take any pulsar for example and it looks like a big posh bike - “definitely male”. Same for the dominar. Place a Dominar next to a Street Triple 765 and they both look equally imposing, the dominar might arguably look chunkier actually.

The second thing that has happened is that big bike manufacturers who make smaller engined bikes too have the same look across a given nomenclature model. A Gixxer across various CC from 1000 to 150 (/ whatever is their smallest CC) has the same look. Intruder comes in the litre class engine size as well as a commuter engine size. Same with Honda CBR bikes, Yamaha MT 01 / commuter MT; Honda Forza scooter 750 to 350 to 125 look the same. Burgman 125 is identical to their bigger engine.

Same with some car manufacturers too. I have to sometimes squint to see the badge sometimes to figure out whether I am seeing a 3 series or a 5 series. So I guess this is not KTM specific but a trend we will have to accept.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th January 2021 at 07:59.
Axe77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 09:36   #32
BHPian

I can certainly say that it is all subjective about what one likes. So there can’t be any universal standard on what is correct or wrong. For example, many people in India have an obsession to own an I4. Is that a problem ?. Not at all. Psychologically, having a feel good factor of owning I4 is also a part and parcel of biking experience for some people. As long he/she feels happy about owning I4, what else matters ?. Similarly it is all subjective about looks as well. There can be ‘N’ number of reasons for me to either like or dislike the looks of a bike and we can’t fix a universally accepted standard.

Every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences, tastes, etc. In short, different strokes for different folks.

I would even say there is nothing irrational or rational about certain things. Any thing which gives me happiness and satisfaction and deciding to stick with that is a rational thing to do.

Last edited by shan_ned : 26th January 2021 at 09:43.
shan_ned is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 10:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Same old aesthetic. All the KTM Dukes are almost indistinguishable from each other. For anyone buying a big bike, that is a big downer. I don’t want to pay 10 lacs and look like I am on a 2 lac bike. Sorry. I know that sounds shallow. But I am very very shallow and very very proud of it. Thank you very much.
When the Duke 790 was still being sold, I had gone to the KTM showroom in Cochin to check it out and even I felt that it looked almost indistinguishable from the Duke 390. Axe77 has hit the nail on the head - smaller capacity bikes are getting bigger (visually) and the bigger capacity bikes are getting more compact. It will take a trained eye to notice the differences between the 390 and the 790. I wont be surprised if cops stop a 790 owner and say that it is a modified Duke 390!

I remember mentioning the visual similarities to the sales guy and he had said that that was one common complaint from many potential buyers and this single fact had lost them quite a bit of sales.

With KTMs overlapping design philosophy, the new 250 looks the same as the 390 which looks the same as the 790 and the 890. The 1290 seems to be a XXL, so at least that has some visual differentiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
I've been considering a middleweight naked and while the 890 Duke R was on the top of my list, I think I'll be paying for a lot of track features that I just wont use. So the base version the Duke 890 looks more attractive as aa package for me.

Still, thee Kawasaki Z900 is topping my list because of its simple dynamics, riddeaeable nature and minimal electronics.
Globally, the Duke 790 was infamous for having several niggling issues. Even the international motorcycle media, which never craps on any bike, had to call it out at the launch of the 890. Closer home, it is believed that not all the trained mechanics are trained enough to be adept at dealing with and fixing issues on the 790. So if the 890 is on your list, pleases do some careful research before hand.

As for your listed criteria, a Street Twin seems to fit the bill better than a Z900.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 10:57   #34
BANNED

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th January 2021 at 08:45. Reason: See note in post.
mohansrides is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th January 2021, 14:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Small capacity bikes appearing bigger helps folks who perhaps may not be able to own bigger bikes (whatever reason) to feel they are riding a bigger bike as perhaps they are not so evolved in their riding experience to understand power to weight ratio and the goodies light weight brings to the table.

Bigger bike manufacturers are really (normally) reaching out nowadays to the evolved biker who wants a rocket. Light weight, compact build, more power, agility and all goodies associated with that.

Keep having fun

Cheers

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th January 2021 at 06:59. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks