Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:46   #46
BHPian

Re: My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads

Congrats on the Multi. The bike looks really good in white. I can't imagine it being anything other than sublime for munching those highway miles.
And I'm very happy to hear you had a good experience with the Ducati Bangalore team, I happen to have a different experience a few years back when I went with my friend to look at the scrambler they lost a potential sale that day but enough of that.
Wishing you lots more fun miles on the multi!

Slightly OT: Did you pick up that Arai lid from India by any chance. If so I'd really appreciate the shop/store name.

Cheers
Ride Safe
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Slightly OT: Did you pick up that Arai lid from India by any chance. If so I'd really appreciate the shop/store name.
Performance Racing sells Arai helmets in India, but they are frightfully expensive. Shoei helmets are priced much better in India and there are a couple of official distributors.

The best way to get an Arai is during a trip overseas.
VellVector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
The bike looks really good in white. I can't imagine it being anything other than sublime for munching those highway miles.
Thank you for your kind words. I agree all it takes is one bad sales person to suck away the joy of a new purchase. Hopefully you have a better experience if you do plan to visit them again. The sales staff keep changing so you might not have a bitter experience again.

Quote:
Did you pick up that Arai lid from India by any chance.
I picked it up from My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads-pic.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
The best way to get an Arai is during a trip overseas.
Like VellVector mentioned the price difference is absurd , you will end up paying double and if you are buying more than a helmet it works out cheaper even if you were to fly to another country and buy it from there.
deepfreak15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:14   #49
BHPian

A friend is flying to Thailand to pick up a full complement of gear and helmets. Even with the flight tickets and poor exchange rate his savings are enough to get a free diving holiday out of the deal.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Thank you for your kind words. I agree all it takes is one bad sales person to suck away the joy of a new purchase. Hopefully you have a better experience if you do plan to visit them again. The sales staff keep changing so you might not have a bitter experience again.

Like VellVector mentioned the price difference is absurd , you will end up paying double and if you are buying more than a helmet it works out cheaper even if you were to fly to another country and buy it from there.
Very true about the salesperson part.

Yeah, pricing here is absurd, buying when overseas seems to be the best option.
How would you say the wind-noise, ventilation is with the lid and the vision, is it restricted to a narrow range or is it wide enough? I currently use the AGV K1 and find it very restrictive to the sides.

Cheers
Ride Safe
Krishna
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shoei helmets are priced much better in India and there are a couple of official distributors.
This is news to me - who is Shoei's official distributor in India ?
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:36   #52
BHPian

Quote:
How would you say the wind-noise, ventilation is with the lid and the vision, is it restricted to a narrow range or is it wide enough? I currently use the AGV K1 and find it very restrictive to the sides.
CorsairX (US) Or RX7V (Europe) is the top of the range in Arai. Ventilation and wind-noise is way better than AGV and there are no issues with field of vision. I will rate it better than AGV. A helmet should always feel a bit restrictive (not tight). Apart from the regular "shake your head side-to-side test" you should not be able to chew gum without ending up biting the insides of your cheeks. That said the Arai does come with removable layers for a custom cheek fit. I can confidently say the Arai is leagues ahead of the AGV because my other helmet is the AGV K5. Apart from the profile ,I hate the roundness of the Arai- but that's their safety USP, there is nothing the AGV does better. By the way the AGV is a really loud helmet.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Ventilation and vision on the Arai's are very good. However, wind-noise is a bit dependent on the type of bike you ride - I find the Arai reasonably silent on my sports bike where your head is leaned forward but it becomes a lot noisier when I'm riding my Harley where you are sitting completely upright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
This is news to me - who is Shoei's official distributor in India ?
I think the distributor is called Moto Store Madness, I'm sorry I don't remember their name. I've been to their store - it is in Arjan Garh in Delhi.

Last edited by VellVector : 22nd January 2020 at 18:44.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
CorsairX (US) Or RX7V (Europe) is the top of the range in Arai. Ventilation and wind-noise is way better than AGV and there are no issues with field of vision. I will rate it better than AGV. A helmet should always feel a bit restrictive (not tight). Apart from the regular "shake your head side-to-side test" you should not be able to chew gum without ending up biting the insides of your cheeks. That said the Arai does come with removable layers for a custom cheek fit. I can confidently say the Arai is leagues ahead of the AGV because my other helmet is the AGV K5. Apart from the profile ,I hate the roundness of the Arai- but that's their safety USP, there is nothing the AGV does better. By the way the AGV is a really loud helmet.
By restrictive i meant about my vision with the helmet on while riding a supersport, I had been using the Nexx XR2 for several years prior to his which has a really good field of vision, maybe I miss that part a lot and that's why i feel restricted with the K1.

And as far as the fitment points you mentioned, that is spot on. Wish more people knew that while choosing helmets, I have personally seen many friends take helmet one size above their correct size because the cheek pads were snug .
Well, my brother uses the K5 and he is not very happy with it, it is indeed very loud and he isn't happy with the ventilation either.

Both of us are looking out for new lids and Arai is been something that was gettign overlooked just becuase of the price factor.

Cheers
Ride Safe
Krishna
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the distributor is called Moto Store Madness, I'm sorry I don't remember their name. I've been to their store - it is in Arjan Garh in Delhi.
A few guys do parallel import and sell - but there is no official distributor.

https://www.shoei.com/worldwide/

Check here - no listing for India
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:51   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
A few guys do parallel import and sell - but there is no official distributor.

https://www.shoei.com/worldwide/

Check here - no listing for India
I did look at that, they had a dealer certificate from Shoei. I believe they were importing them from Shoei Singapore. But anyways, the pricing was more reasonable than the Arais I've seen in India.
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:23   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By restrictive i meant about my vision with the helmet on while riding a supersport, I had been using the Nexx XR2 for several years prior to his which has a really good field of vision, maybe I miss that part a lot and that's why i feel restricted with the K1.

And as far as the fitment points you mentioned, that is spot on. Wish more people knew that while choosing helmets, I have personally seen many friends take helmet one size above their correct size because the cheek pads were snug .
Well, my brother uses the K5 and he is not very happy with it, it is indeed very loud and he isn't happy with the ventilation either.

Both of us are looking out for new lids and Arai is been something that was gettign overlooked just becuase of the price factor.

Cheers
Ride Safe
Krishna
1. The AGV is no match to the Arai. I have the k5 too and also use a quantum x.
2. The top end race lids from ARAI are only meant for full tuck track positions. They have an upright touring lid called the quantum and signet which works better for the road touring set up. View port is also better on the q and s series when compared to the race lids.
3. If you want the widest field of view, the best are the dual sport or adventure lids. No street lid will give you as much of a view or eye port.
4. I always wear earplugs when touring whatever the helmet be, so noise should be a non issue for anyone.
5. There is a YouTube video from Arai about how to measure yourself for the right Arai size. Look it up, measure yourself at home.
6. You either have an Arai head or a shoei head. Both make helmets for vastly different head shapes. So try both on and see which one is more comfortable. I am an absolute arai head. The AGV is more towards the shoei end of things as far as head shape goes.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. The AGV is no match to the Arai. I have the k5 too and also use a quantum x.
6. You either have an Arai head or a shoei head. Both make helmets for vastly different head shapes. So try both on and see which one is more comfortable. I am an absolute arai head. The AGV is more towards the shoei end of things as far as head shape goes.

Not a huge fan of earplugs, I was using them before but it started getting a bit uncomfortable for me. Also, I mostly ride along with my brother and we stay connected using the SENA systems we have and since we keep the volume on the SENA down earplugs is again a problem.
I did try out ARAI lids when I had gone to Germany and absolutely loved it, but buying a lid at that point was not an option I had so it looks like I'll have to wait and get one in time.
And for the field of vision goes you are right, the K1 was a stop-gap purchase when I had decided to retire the Nexx after using it for about 4 years or so.

Thanks for the points though.

Cheers
Ride Safe
Krishna

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd January 2020 at 19:31. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes. Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:53   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Performance Racing sells Arai helmets in India, but they are frightfully expensive.
Quote:
I picked it up from Attachment 1959812
Not to perpetuate an OT discussion. But just a couple of points.

I have personally interacted with the proprietor of Performance Racing. He is a super nice guy who is not at all pushy. In fact, he expressly suggested to me that for my particular requirement, it would be best if I sourced the helmet from the US.

Yes, helmets from PR are very expensive. But the notion of sourcing from abroad only makes sense if one actually does enough travelling. In my case, I hardly ever travel abroad and so I would have gladly paid the mark-up and bought my Arai from PR. It does not make any sense to me to spend money on travelling abroad just to buy gear. Unfortunately for me, PR couldn’t fulfill my requirement. That brings me to the next relevant point.

PR carries all Arai helmets from the company’s European distribution infrastructure. If you are using popular sites like Revzilla to do your research on gear, then be advised that most of what you see is US market centric. Granted that most items are carried over to international markets by the manufacturers without changing the model names or numbers. But in Arai’s case, they do not carry all items in all markets; plus even on the items that they do carry across markets, they rename the models, and said items’ product descriptions on European sites do not match what’s written on sites like Revzilla. Even if the picture of the item is identical across the manufacturer’s Europe and US sites, it is hard to be completely sure. This surety would not be a factor for small items. But the delta in product descriptions will be a nag when it comes to big and expensive items like helmets.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Not a huge fan of earplugs, I was using them before but it started getting a bit uncomfortable for me. Also, I mostly ride along with my brother and we stay connected using the SENA systems we have and since we keep the volume on the SENA down earplugs is again a problem.
I used to hate earplugs as well, but then I got a set of surefire earplugs and am very happy with those. They are also designed to let voice through so they work pretty well with the Sena while drastically cutting down on wind noise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks