Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 12:08   #16

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 launched at Rs 8.84 lakhs

IMHO this is insane!!
Adventure 390 offers bang for buck with little off-roading capabilities too.

PS - I am not associated in any way with KTM, its purely based on my riding impressions of Adventure, a close friend owns it.
Mahen_8060 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 12:54   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
The ex-showroom price difference between BS4 and BS6 versions of Versys 650 and Vstrom 650 is INR 10k and INR 1.39 lakhs ....To top it off, Kawasaki is presently also offering 30k discount on Versys which makes it theoretically cheaper ex-showroom than BS4 version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan View Post
../The V-Strom is way too expensive now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Wow !! Versys 650 is 6.39L ex showroom with a 30K discount and V Strom at 8.84L = almost a 2.5L difference. Case closed for 90% customers looking at these two options I guess.
The “undeservingly expensive” new V-Strom 650 launched just yesterday and this morning Anzen in Mumbai accepted two bookings for the bike. This when the prospective customers have no visibility on when they will actually get the bikes.

Like I said, if anyone wants to wager on whether this bike will succeed at this price, feel free. My bet is firmly on Suzuki.

I strongly believe that if Suzuki had priced the new V-Strom even at 5 lacs, people would crib and say that even that price is unwarranted as the bike is unchanged from the previous model. Most people want something for nothing. Good on Suzuki to have stuck to their guns. Suzuki may not want volumes. But they surely want to be in a position to dictate terms on pricing.

Last edited by mohansrides : 24th November 2020 at 12:59.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 14:31   #18
BHPian

Nothing changed beyond BS6 engine. They have just added two color schemes. That's all!

No adjustable USD forks, no LED lights, no digital instrument cluster, no ride by wire.. nothing..

That's how company takes Indian customers for granted! :-(
prajakt_23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 15:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
... this morning Anzen in Mumbai accepted two bookings for the bike.

Like I said, if anyone wants to wager on whether this bike will succeed at this price, feel free. My bet is firmly on Suzuki.

I strongly believe that if Suzuki had priced the new V-Strom even at 5 lacs, people would crib and say that even that price is unwarranted as the bike is unchanged from the previous model. Most people want something for nothing.
Good for the people who booked it, afterall heart wants what it wants and there are many people for whom price or VFM factor isn't a big priority.

Don't know about people cribbing had Suzuki launched the VStrom at 5 lakhs but I can bet the bookings would have been atleast 10 times if not more.

The real question to me would be how many bookings Kawasaki receives for the Versys 650 now that Vstrom is back and the sticker price is known. Only time will tell
camitesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 15:58   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Good for the people who booked it, afterall heart wants what it wants and there are many people for whom price or VFM factor isn't a big priority.

Don't know about people cribbing had Suzuki launched the VStrom at 5 lakhs but I can bet the bookings would have been atleast 10 times if not more.

The real question to me would be how many bookings Kawasaki receives for the Versys 650 now that Vstrom is back and the sticker price is known. Only time will tell
I have no doubt that you are right about lower prices driving volumes. But, my guess is that Suzuki doesn’t care about volumes. As it is, India, with its nightmarish rules is tough for big bikes to ensure supply in large volumes. If they back that play, the they could be stuck with huge inventory that they would have to heavily discount and sell at a later date. Instead, it is better to sell fewer bikes at higher profits. I think that that’s what they are thinking at Suzuki India.

The Versys and the V-Strom are often compared. In my opinion, the V-Strom wins that comparison hands down. I won’t list the features to impress anyone, suffice it to say that the V has a few over the Versys in that department. But, what’s important is how the two bikes feel. The V-Strom with its lower CG feels super planted, while the Versys undoubtedly feels top heavy.

In any case, I have a sneaking suspicion that Suzuki are laying the ground for the bigger V-Strom 1050 XT, whenever that comes to India. If the smaller V-Strom is 8 lacs on road, then the bigger V-Strom would need to be in the range of 13 or 14 lacs on road. I think that that figure does not float Suzuki’s boat. I think that they are looking to build a foundation from which to price the bigger V-Strom at around 17 lacs on road; especially considering that the smaller displacement Tiger GTs are 17.5 on road (after you add the accessories that the XT comes with), and the Rally Pro is 18.5 on road.
mohansrides is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 19:26   #21
BHPian

The BS4 VStrom was approximately 9L on-road. This one is going to be roughly 10.5L OTR. Maybe more. For no real feature updates. Does this suck? Yes it does. Is Suzuki being greedy? Probably. But here's the thing.

The VStrom is kind of standing alone at the moment. I wouldn't buy a Versys. And the next best ADV bikes are the Africa Twin and the Tiger and they are 18L on-road or more. That's a lot of money for a motorcycle. So unless the other manufacturers get bikes in this category and at a competitive price point, we are stuck with this take-it-or-leave-it situation. We need the 790 ADV and the Tenere 700 to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post

The Versys and the V-Strom are often compared. In my opinion, the V-Strom wins that comparison hands down.

In any case, I have a sneaking suspicion that Suzuki are laying the ground for the bigger V-Strom 1050 XT, whenever that comes to India.
I was talking to someone associated with Suzuki and the opinion was that the Katana might come in first. They felt that the possibility of the 1050 launch was low (which is a shame). The reason being that the older Versys 1000 never sold so they might not get any meaningful volume with the new 1050. So why bother?

All of this is, of course hearsay, so do take it with a huge helping of salt.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 24th November 2020 at 19:28.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Cause there is nothing else between the Versys, V-strom and Tiger / Multi, pricing the Vstrom like this is telling people to walk away from the ADV segment, or settle for Himalayan / KTM twins or look the pre-owned way. I seriously think new Vstroms will be hard to come by except those who don't care about the price and are fixated on virtues of the bike. Terribly disappointed!

This is Suzuki doing a Ducati with BS6 launches! But Ducati brought in their complete range and the ADV bikes got massive updates. Suzuki brought new colours (?).

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 24th November 2020 at 22:21.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

It is pretty easy to get under 2 year used tigers inside 10 lakh (with a lot of extra adv essentials pre loaded). To my mind that is an infinitely better buy than a new versys or new v strom both

First time bike / big bike buyers sometimes hesitate to buy used but for anyone who has been riding recently will understand the incredible value the used bigger ADVs present over these overpriced 650s.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 11:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
It is pretty easy to get under 2 year used tigers inside 10 lakh (with a lot of extra adv essentials pre loaded). To my mind that is an infinitely better buy than a new versys or new v strom both

First time bike / big bike buyers sometimes hesitate to buy used but for anyone who has been riding recently will understand the incredible value the used bigger ADVs present over these overpriced 650s.
Buying a used Superbike is a pretty big minefield to navigate through for a new buyer. Most people who buy their first sbk simply don't know how to ride one properly so when they test any used bike they haven't a clue what to look for and looks can be very deceptive in the sbk world. Thankfully with options like Triumph offering pre owned bikes with warranty such things should improve in future. But as of now it's not a great experience buying used when quite a few people sell sparingly used but badly maintained bikes to unsuspecting buyers.

Plus financing a new bike is very easy while it's a lot more difficult to get a decent loan for a used bike.

The Suzuki is most definitely overpriced but sadly nothing else exists in the market in its price range brand new. The only hope is KTM launches their adv 790 or Triumph comes with their 660 Tiger variant soon.
bf1983 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Cause there is nothing else between the Versys, V-strom and Tiger / Multi, pricing the Vstrom like this is telling people to walk away from the ADV segment, or settle for Himalayan / KTM twins or look the pre-owned way.
This is where the Honda CB 500X will slot in! It is surely on the cards, but with Honda's typical slow moves - only a matter of when!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The VStrom is kind of standing alone at the moment. I wouldn't buy a Versys. And the next best ADV bikes are the Africa Twin and the Tiger and they are 18L on-road or more. That's a lot of money for a motorcycle. So unless the other manufacturers get bikes in this category and at a competitive price point, we are stuck with this take-it-or-leave-it situation. We need the 790 ADV and the Tenere 700 to come in..
Exactly my point, at launch pricing it was still a good motorcycle with tubeless-spokes, riding modes and a more conventional ADV styling. But now its just not VFM.

Also I always felt that Suzuki's marketing effort was never up to the mark so I don't feel bad for Suzuki when they say low sales but I do feel bad for that good motorcycle.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 16:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The VStrom is kind of standing alone at the moment. I wouldn't buy a Versys. And the next best ADV bikes are the Africa Twin and the Tiger and they are 18L on-road or more. That's a lot of money for a motorcycle. So unless the other manufacturers get bikes in this category and at a competitive price point, we are stuck with this take-it-or-leave-it situation. We need the 790 ADV and the Tenere 700 to come in.
Doesn't the BMW F900XR slot right in between at about 13-14 lakhs OTR? Pretty well specced too.
Old 26th November 2020, 23:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Doesn't the BMW F900XR slot right in between at about 13-14 lakhs OTR? Pretty well specced too.
The BMW F900XR is like the Versys which is more sports tourer than off roader. Any off road biased bike like the V Storm will have a larger front tyre like a 19 or 21 inch front and 17 inch rear set up. This helps the bike perform better off road and all serious road biased adventure tourers have similar setups (Like the Tiger, BMW 850GS, Multistrada etc). Second the BMW in addition to having 17 inch wheels at the front and rear, the wheels are alloy wheels which are great on tarmac but a problem off road which is why spoke wheels are always preferred for off road biased bikes like the V Storm. The only bike that is really comparable to the V Storm is the Tiger, Africa Twins and the like. At the V Storms price point there is precious little to compare with if you are looking for a more serious off road bike.

For riding on well paved tarmac roads bikes like the BMW F900XR that you mentioned or the Versys 650 are better suited for such roads.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 03:39   #29
BHPian

Suzuki is left with literally one big bike to sell in India and they goof up like this on pricing? For me, the Strom is a better bike than Versys. But will I ever pay 2 lakh+ more for it? Nope!
Should help the BS4 VStroms get better prices in the used market.
I am sure Kawasaki will now push more volumes on the Versys thanks to the help from their friends at Hamamatsu.
narula123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:28   #30
BHPian

This popped up in my Instagram feed today. Did Suzuki realised it's potential pricing folly already within a week from the launch, since I don't recall them having these introductory offers worth INR 1 lakh on the launch day? Doesn't matter, good for the customers who booked or are looking forward to book this beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 launched at Rs 8.84 lakhs-screenshot_20201204131940.jpg  

camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks