Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 launched at Rs 8.84 lakhs

Suzuki Motorcycles India has launched the new BS6 V-Strom 650 XT adventure motorcycle today in India with ex-showroom price Rs 8.84 lakhs. Two colours are on offer – Pearl White and Champion Yellow.

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 launched at Rs 8.84 lakhs-2021suzukivstrom650launch2768x432.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 launched at Rs 8.84 lakhs-suzukivstrom650bs62020launchprice2768x432.jpg

The India-spec model is similar to the one which went on sale in Australia earlier this month. Feature wise, new V-Strom 650 XT gets a smartphone charger, handguards, a semi-digital instrument cluster, a 12-V accessory power outlet and a plastic sump guard. In addition to this, it receives a bunch of electronics including a dual-channel ABS, three-stage switchable traction control as standard and more.

It is equipped with 645cc, liquid-cooled, V-Twin motor that produces 70 bhp at 8,800 rpm and 62Nm of peak torque at 6,500rpm. These figures are almost identical to the outgoing model. This is mated to a six-speed transmission. It also features Suzuki’s Low RPM to assist the system in order to minimize engine stalling by automatically tuning the idle speed at low revs.

Source - Rushlane

Mods: Please merge this to appropriate thread if needed. I couldn't find one.
Deadpool is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:44   #2
BHPian

re: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 launched at Rs 8.84 lakhs

Gosh! Ex-showroom for 8.84.
Too steep for just a BS6 update. Keen to see if this would still be considered as an option over the Versys (though long in the tooth now) considering a huge difference in the price. This would easily cross 10 Lac on-road in Bangalore, not to mention interest rates over a loan duration.

Once the Tiger 850 is launched in India at a respectable price, the people considering V-Strom will have a better option.
aghate is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 Launched in India

Is this just a BS6 update or is this also a more off road oriented version of the v strom. If it is the latter then a price bump for that would be expected.

I am asking because I recall the older vee having alloy wheels while this has spoke ones.

If this is indeed tuned for more off road friendly purpose then the tiger sport actually does not directly compare as it is more road bias oriented. But I take your point as cross shopping is of course inevitable and even the road biased tigers are plenty capable off the Tarmac.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd November 2020 at 16:28.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:42   #4
BHPian

Expensive!! Thanks Suzuki for making Versys 650 even more VFM.

I was closely eyeing on this motorcycle for my next ride but instead of spending 10.5 on-road for this one, I believe Versys 1000 isnt too far away. And then for 25% more money, I get 75% more motorcycle! Choice is clear now.
Zinda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Too steep for just a BS6 update.
Too steep indeed. Increasing ex-showroom price by INR 1.39 lakhs just for BS6 update seems crazy to me, especially in current times when we're expecting second Covid wave possibly. Don't see any other changes, even the color options largely remain the same.

Existing V Strom 650 owners and Kawasaki will be happy with this launch. I expect steep discounts from Suzuki soon on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Is this just a BS6 update or is this also a more off road oriented version of the v strom. If it is the latter then a price bump for that would be expected.

I am asking because I recall the older vee having alloy wheels while this has spoke ones..
The earlier XT version launched in India also had spoke rims. Vstrom has a standard version with alloy wheels but that wasn't launched here. Good opportunity for them to launch the standard version this time to keep the starting price low and appeal to those who are not interested to take V Strom off road so often
camitesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT BS6 launched at Rs 8.84 lakhs

Attaching the full press release -

Quote:
Strengthening its BS6 product portfolio, Suzuki Motorcycle India Pvt. Ltd. (SMIPL), a subsidiary of Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan, today launched the BS6 variant of its ultimate ‘Do-it-All’ motorcycle, V-Strom 650XT ABS. Showcased in 2020 AutoExpo, the V-Strom 650 XT ABS becomes the first BS6 compliant big bike from SMIPL’s portfolio. Built to offer ‘Adventure in all Directions’, V-Strom 650XT ABS is known for its versatility and is best suited for the daily commute, long highway rides, and exploring rough terrains.

Commenting on the launch, Mr. Koichiro Hirao, Managing Director, Suzuki Motorcycle India Pvt. Ltd. said, “V-Strom has made its own following in India. The ultimate adventure tourer has proved its mettle in the highway touring capabilities while exploring different terrains. It is truly a masterpiece with the ultimate balance provided by the natural riding position, comfortable seat and the flexible engine character. This is our first BS6 compliant big bike and we are confident that this cleaner and greener motorcycle will continue to win people’s hearts with its performance and maneuverability as it hit the Indian roads”.

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS is equipped with four stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC with 645cm3 displacement, 90° V-twin engine, making it an ideal and an attractive option for anyone seeking a perfect middleweight adventure bike. The motorcycle has adopted the Suzuki Easy Start System enabling a secure and stress-free start with the push of a button. The middleweight adventure tourer comes with a lightweight Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) offering a controlled grip on the road and trustworthy braking performance in extreme conditions. The lightweight frame provides steady handling and maneuverability. V-Strom 650XT’s three-mode traction control system (2 Mode + OFF Mode), ensures superior control over the engine and is effective in difficult road conditions, preventing rear wheel spin further boosting rider confidence. The BS6 compliant V-Strom 650 XT ABS, is a perfect example of a balance between, performance, power and control.

The BS6 V-Strom 650XT ABS retails at INR 884,000 (ex-showroom Delhi) and will be available in two color variants, Champion Yellow No. 2 and Pearl Glacier White at all Suzuki big bikes dealerships across India.

Key Features:
  • 4-stroke, 2-Cylinder liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90o V-twin engine
  • Light weight ABS
  • Comfortable upright riding position
  • Informative multi-function instrument panel
  • Highly visible and stylish LED tail lights
  • Slim and easy to manoeuvre bodywork
There is no mention of power or torque - even on the Website specifications. Does it remain the same after BS6?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:32   #7
BHPian

THIS IS SPARTA!

Nah, I got that wrong.

THIS IS SUZUKI! (and we are audacious enough to over-price our "Spartan" bikes! Come lap them up you poor people who can't afford British Tigers and African Twins!)

Last edited by GoBlue : 23rd November 2020 at 19:58.
GoBlue is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Too steep for just a BS6 update. Keen to see if this would still be considered as an option over the Versys (though long in the tooth now) considering a huge difference in the price. This would easily cross 10 Lac on-road in Bangalore, not to mention interest rates over a loan duration.

Once the Tiger 850 is launched in India at a respectable price, the people considering V-Strom will have a better option.
Cross 10 Lakhs in Bangalore, you say? When it was about 7.49L ex-showroom or so (approximately), it was already 9.69L on-road in Bangalore. BS6 version is now 8.84 lakhs ex-showroom. Crosses 11 lakhs on-road easily, is my best guess.

From 7.49L ex-showroom to 8.84L ex-showroom for just BS6 compliance (with NO other significant enhancements). Overnight robbery looks less impactful on the matters of the heart.
k_ajay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Earlier bike had tubeless spoke wheels plus traction control - all within a 90k ex showroom difference with the Versys, making it good value.

But somehow with BS6 variants - the difference has creeped up to 2.05 lakhs now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:37   #10
BHPian

The already costly bike become even more costly, versys 1000 is at a stones throw with this pricing. Think this one is dead on arrival
Old 24th November 2020, 00:04   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Earlier bike had tubeless spoke wheels plus traction control - all within a 90k ex showroom difference with the Versys, making it good value.

But somehow with BS6 variants - the difference has creeped up to 2.05 lakhs now.
The new bike too will have tubeless spoke wheels. No major difference except for the colours. By the way, the 90k difference in price will sort of play out again I think. I am pretty sure that Kawasaki is going to up the price of their Versys. Either that, or Suzuki will offer discounts and still make a profit on this bike. Sort of like the 50% of sales in malls. Mark the product up by 30%; then offer 25% off and still make a profit of 5% over and above the profit you were making on the original price before you marked it up.

My unofficial sources at Suzuki tell me that they get a minimum of 3 calls every week for the V-Strom.

Badly priced or otherwise, does anyone feel like wagering if Suzuki will sell out of their inventory? The bike cost 9.6 lacs on road in Bangalore and they couldn’t keep it in stock.

If we have to draw a parallel to the cars market, Maruti and Hyundai keep upping their prices for cars that are utter trash. Still the public keeps buying. Of course the utility aspect is different in cars. But, that said, I am pretty sure that Suzuki upped their price after due deliberations. They can pull this off if they manage their inventory properly. The bike is a stellar machine. Suzuki is the anti-Kawasaki. Where you can readily get a Versys, you have to wait it out to get hold of a V-Strom.

P. S.

The story of this bike in India is similar to Rolex’s approach for their watches - throttle supply to create demand. Until just a couple of years ago Rolex did not even have their own manufacturing facility. And yet, they convinced the market that their product is almost solid gold. People wait years to get hold of Rolex watches that are essentially just average; this when superior products are freely available in the market. Pity that those products are languishing under less capable management and clueless marketing teams.

Last edited by mohansrides : 24th November 2020 at 00:30.
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 00:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow !! Versys 650 is 6.39L ex showroom with a 30K discount and V Strom at 8.84L = almost a 2.5L difference. Case closed for 90% customers looking at these two options I guess.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 07:07   #13
BHPian

Has the BS6 version of the Versys been launched? I’m sure it will have a substantial increase in price.

The real cat among the pigeons will be when Honda launches the CB500X. It’s a class below and more a 390 adventure competitor but more than enough bike for most people. Hope they price it around the 5l range.
Old 24th November 2020, 08:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Has the BS6 version of the Versys been launched? I’m sure it will have a substantial increase in price.

The real cat among the pigeons will be when Honda launches the CB500X. It’s a class below and more a 390 adventure competitor but more than enough bike for most people. Hope they price it around the 5l range.
BS6 Versys was launched in August 2020 at 6.79 lakhs. See the related thread. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...-launched.html (Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched)

The ex-showroom price difference between BS4 and BS6 versions of Versys 650 and Vstrom 650 is INR 10k and INR 1.39 lakhs respectively with both bikes primarily boasting of no other changes apart from BS6 complaint engines. This is where I appreciate Kawasaki for its pricing and absolutely appalled at Suzuki's pricing strategy. To top it off, Kawasaki is presently also offering 30k discount on Versys which makes it theoretically cheaper ex-showroom than BS4 version.
camitesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 10:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post

+1 to that.

The stage is set and the timing couldn't be more perfect for Honda to get the CB500X. The V-Strom is way too expensive now, and the Versys 650 is long due for a major facelift (which should drive the price up). I believe KTM also has plans for a 490 Adventure, and I hope they move swiftly.
MadTitan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks