Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 20:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Katana launched at Rs 13.61 lakh

The ability to go unnoticed is the best attribute of this bike. I'm just sold on its simplicity, and not seeing another like it. I'll go on a weekday and do the needful.
Thanks for the advice
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Katana launched at Rs 13.61 lakh-img_6346.jpeg  

Sebring is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 21:09   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yesterday's KATANA launch at Aryan was a joke. It was a private breakfast party for a hundred friends of Shiv, the Service Head there, paid for by SUZUKI. Everyone owned a Hayabusa or some big bike and genuine buyers like myself and my friend who are just getting into 'litre class' were ignored. Waited patiently for the test ride but each rider was taking close to 45 minutes. So we left it in a huff, 'MTR vada' in hand (Breakfast was provided). If things are conducted like this I doubt if Suzuki can sell anything at all in this space. I mean, Honda and Yamaha events are legendary,...?
All the dealers are worst in one way or the other. I too faced similar issues with Honda Bigwing in Lavalle road, Bangalore for CB300R. The showroom guys did not reveal the bike for me. They want a famous YouTuber to unveil it. I skipped that showroom and bought the bike from VFM Honda, Jayanagar. You can see the details here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5247005 (2022 Honda CB300R BS6 launched at Rs. 2.77 lakh)
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Saw the first delivered bike this weekend on my coffee run. This thing is TINY!!

For the time being, there is nothing else like this so no comparison is justified.
Hey Rohan!

Understand where you are coming from with your last two lines, however, if you were to compare the Street Triple RS with this one on other parameters besides the power and torque figures and ride feel (if you have not taken a test ride) what do you have to say. Thanks in advance.

Ride safe and do update on Layla

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 18th July 2022 at 22:42.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Everything happens for the better Spoke to a few people at the event and they say the service there is very 'iffy'. I'm seriously looking at other brands now. Thanks
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I couldn't attend it myself. I heard from some V Strom peers that they had a good time. Importantly i missed the MTR idli vada it would seem

Coming to your point, I know it's been barely 3 months since I've been dealing with them, but all I can say and vouch for a 100% is the following -
- James' attitude. He's the manager and I've seldom seen better behaved individuals. He was ready to provide the vehicle for as long a test ride as we needed. He came to my apartment with the vehicle himself. He was upfront and forthcoming with all dealings.
- Shiva Anand is amazing. He's the head of service. He even helped me get my machine serviced in Delhi, even prepare it before my long ride.
- They proactively organize events at BigRock and others too which is amazing!

It was a launch event - I'm surprised anyone even expected to immediately get a long-ish test ride (except that one dude who took it for 45 minutes lol).

My point in mentioning the above is not so that I get better service at Aryan I want people to see clearly, the other side as well before they take a call. I may not have as much people or machine experience, but I do know the power of TBHP and I don't want one perceived negative experience as the be-all and end-all.
shyamg28 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 05:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

I'll meet James and fill you in. Regarding Shiva Anand, I will reserve my comments till I get the service done. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
James' attitude. He's the manager and I've seldom seen better behaved individuals. He was ready to provide the vehicle for as long a test ride as we needed. He came to my apartment with the vehicle himself. He was upfront and forthcoming with all dealings. Shiva Anand is amazing. He's the head of service. He even helped me get my machine serviced in Delhi, even prepare it before my long ride.
Old 19th July 2022, 10:56   #66
BHPian

Overdrive’s walk-around.

GoBlue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:59   #67

Quote:
Yesterday's KATANA launch at Aryan was a joke. It was a private breakfast party for a hundred friends of Shiv, the Service Head there, paid for by SUZUKI. Everyone owned a Hayabusa or some big bike and genuine buyers like myself and my friend who are just getting into 'litre class' were ignored. Waited patiently for the test ride but each rider was taking close to 45 minutes.
Sorry to hear about the horrible experience Sebring. Being a potential buyer they should have treated you and your friend nicely.
Unfortunately, I was also at the launch event and went there for the test ride as it was MENTIONED in the invitation. But they did not even bother to look at anyone other than their ‘GTBians’. Attaching the invite for reference.

As mentioned by fellow bhpian I get it that such events are a place for community building. But my question is how will they build a bigger community if you are not ready to entertain anyone who wants to be a part of their community. Not a single spot booking of the bike was done, from what I remember, maybe it was something to do with the poor sales and management.

My another concern was there was not even a single media person at the launch, was it even a bike unveil or it was just a Suzuki sponsored get together for the GTBians and by chance they had a new bike so they just showcased it.

I know Suzuki makes beautiful and capable machines but then I wonder why the count of Ninja’s and Bmw’s and Triumph’s is far more than the Zuki’s on the road. They cannot just keep selling the bikes based on just how capable the bike is. A lot has to do with the sales and the people management by the company, which I felt was lacking.

I am not raising this issue to belittle someone or a company, This litre-class market is very much driven by the customer experience from the day one a potential customer see’s the bike, and if that goes to toss it genuinely hurts cause these the are the dream machines which only someone who has been dreaming since their childhood would go and buy. Katana is one such name which every Suzuki fanboy will be familiar with.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Katana launched at Rs 13.61 lakh-bf13548e3b734222b89b04a90e45d80a.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2022 at 15:38. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
Zyppher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll meet James and fill you in. Regarding Shiva Anand, I will reserve my comments till I get the service done. Thank you
Sebring - hopefully another one to your garage. Have you taken delivery or booked one? You mention “till I get the service done”, please update Thanks.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th July 2022 at 13:09.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 14:35   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
if you were to compare the Street Triple RS with this one on other parameters besides the power and torque figures and ride feel (if you have not taken a test ride) what do you have to say.
Having ridden Street Triple extensively, taking liberty to reply with static observations (haven't ridden Katana yet):

1. Street Triple feels a size smaller in dimensions.
2. TFT unit on Striple makes a positive impact on product value perception.
3. Ergonomics are far more committed on STriple RS (especially the footpegs), Katana is relaxed/upright.
4. Handlebar wider on Katana.
5. Seat padding more on Katana.
6. Fully adjustable suspension front/rear on both, STriple RS gets Ohlins at rear.
7. 190 section tire on Katana (Dunlop), 180 on STriple RS (Pirelli).
8. Styling is subjective. I like both bikes.
GoBlue is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Having ridden Street Triple extensively, taking liberty to reply with static observations (haven't ridden Katana yet)
Thank you for your observations GoBlue, appreciated.

Please do update if/when you test ride the Katana, would love to hear from you. I don’t get the vibe “I want this bike” from the Katana and dislike the TFT also. Looks wise I prefer my RS any day, anytime. I am biased and blinded with RS love compared to this one for sure

Please also post updates on your Falcon and the Africa Twin too.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th July 2022 at 15:21.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:26   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyppher View Post
Unfortunately, I was also at the launch event and went there for the test ride as it was MENTIONED in the invitation. But they did not even bother to look at anyone other than their ‘GTBians’. Attaching the invite for reference.

As mentioned by fellow bhpian I get it that such events are a place for community building. But my question is how will they build a bigger community if you are not ready to entertain anyone who wants to be a part of their community. Not a single spot booking of the bike was done, from what I remember, maybe it was something to do with the poor sales and management.

My another concern was there was not even a single media person at the launch, was it even a bike unveil or it was just a Suzuki sponsored get together for the GTBians and by chance they had a new bike so they just showcased it.

I know Suzuki makes beautiful and capable machines but then I wonder why the count of Ninja’s and Bmw’s and Triumph’s is far more than the Zuki’s on the road. They cannot just keep selling the bikes based on just how capable the bike is. A lot has to do with the sales and the people management by the company, which I felt was lacking.

I am not raising this issue to belittle someone or a company, This litre-class market is very much driven by the customer experience from the day one a potential customer see’s the bike, and if that goes to toss it genuinely hurts cause these the are the dream machines which only someone who has been dreaming since their childhood would go and buy. Katana is one such name which every Suzuki fanboy will be familiar with.
Zyppher, I dont mean to come across as a Suzuki sympathizer and / or apologist (more so because I recently purchased a Suzuki motorcycle), but Im just sharing some thoughts based on my experience across multiple big bike showrooms in different cities
- The unveiling of these new bikes is usually done by existing owners, in this case by members of team GTB. Its par for course.
- The mainstream media gets invited at the national level, not a dealer level. I havent seen the local media at launch events for superbikes.
- Suzuki doesnt need to sell big bikes to survive in India. Triumph, Kawasaki (less so with the success of the Ninja 300) and BMW do. Suzuki's bread and butter is their scooters and motorcycles division. If we go back a few years, we will find that Suzuki did bring the Bandit 1250, Intruder 1800, Hayabusa, S 750, VStrom 1050, VStrom 650 etc. They were ahead of the curve in launching the Inazuma 250 as well. When it comes to big bikes, could Suzuki have done more? Of course they could have. Did they need to do more? Probably not. Their bottom line wasnt going to swing wildly if they launched another 2 superbikes.
- As far as I can tell, new potential customers were welcome at the said event, provided with a complimentary breakfast and had the chance to check out the Katana. Did existing owners get preferential treatment? That is to be expected. Did everyone get a test ride? It doesnt appear to be the case from your post and Sebring's post. Its just a function of too many "genuine customers" being at the same spot at the same time.

Anyways, a non TBHPian gentleman that I know, has his eyes on the Katana. I am keen to find out which members of the TBHP community have already booked this sweet bike! Reading between the lines of the recent posts, I get a feeling that I know who all are ready to upgrade
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 16:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

There are TWO now!
And am I asking my opinion to be the 'be all and end all'? Can you please take me through a mechanical issue you faced in your bike and the said individual has fixed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
I don't want one perceived negative experience as the be-all and end-all.
@Cyborg, There are two bad experiences that might have marred my purchase. Once I sort it out will go ahead as Home Ministry approval has come in
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 19:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
There are TWO now!
And am I asking my opinion to be the 'be all and end all'? Can you please take me through a mechanical issue you faced in your bike and the said individual has fixed?
Hey @Sebring, I didn't intend to imply your opinion as being the be-all end-all. I implied an opinion should not be the be-all end-all Any one. Mine, yours, anyone out here.

No one need ask for their opinion to be everything. It can still be given enough weightage unknowingly by a 3rd person, that some times they may lose out on an opportunity without having considered all things.

I felt the need to put my opinion out simply so that a reader or prospective buyer, can take that into consideration too.

I repeat, I did not intend to belittle your experience one bit. If it came across as doing that, I apologise dear sir. That wasn't my intention at all.

As to your second question about proof of how qualified they are with regards to fixing issues, I do not believe I have any that might help convince anyone. I am poor at it anyway, even if I had any experience to point out.

Let me however, talk of an experience that I considered positive - my rear tyre needed replacement and Shiva Anand was able to source a Metzeler Tourance Next for me immediately. I was grateful. Maybe I'm stupid. Maybe I'm more thankful than others. That's me. I cannot and will not try to convince a 3rd person. I can however, provide my opinion and a 3rd person can perceive it as they will

Cheers!
shyamg28 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 23:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Cyborg, There are two bad experiences that might have marred my purchase. Once I sort it out will go ahead as Home Ministry approval has come in
That’s great to hear Sebring! As many others have pointed out, don’t let the launch day situation influence your decision on the bike. Forget about it!

After you buy the bike you can push the service people. You don’t have to tolerate any nonsense they give you, set them straight from the beginning. Make it very clear in language and demeanour that you expect quality service, nothing else is acceptable.

Home Ministry approval is all that’s required for a peaceful life . Go and get that bike if you really want it!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hey Rohan!

Understand where you are coming from with your last two lines, however, if you were to compare the Street Triple RS with this one on other parameters besides the power and torque figures and ride feel (if you have not taken a test ride) what do you have to say. Thanks in advance.

Ride safe and do update on Layla

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Having ridden Street Triple extensively, taking liberty to reply with static observations (haven't ridden Katana yet):
Interesting that you ask this, as the owner of the Katana i posted, had a RS too previously on which he toured till Kanyakumari from Delhi.

His observations too are what GoBlue said and I have to agree as well. That K5 motor is bullet proof and has more than enough power for one's needs.

I have to say that when i sat on the bike my first thought was that the riding position is spot on and all it needs is a small wind screen as the wind blast is severe (as reported by the owner).

I have a known soft spot for the RS but given how closely these two are placed (in terms of pricing), i would have picked the Katana up just for how beautiful it looks.

Heck i will go to the extent of saying that i had known this was launching at this price, i would not have picked the S1000RR and kept the RS and got the Katana in silver probably with the red decals. (Sorry Layla!!)

On another note, Layla has been performing flawlessly and has now done close to 3300km. I will pen down my experience with her over the weekend. Sharing a pic

Suzuki Katana launched at Rs 13.61 lakh-layla.jpg

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed