Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2022, 18:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Confused dreams of a Middleweight | Trident v/s Street Triple R for 2 lakhs more?

Ninja 1000 is a decent bike with good pillion comfort which can be had in a budget of 8-9L.

Single owner 2-3 year old bikes done less than 10k shouldn’t be hard to find.

Read OP suggesting Street Triple/Trident as shortlisted candidates for a two up riding use case. Well any naked bike which has a tiny seat can be ridden two up, it’s just a question of time after which the annoyed pillion would start wanting to get off that perch.

CBR650R/F is not a suitable candidate as far as relaxed ergonomics are concerned. There are folks who may claim it’s comfortable for them, but that’s a personal take. While choosing a machine for touring, it’s best to to chose comfortable ergonomics rather than adjusting to discomfort later.

GSX S750 doesn’t even have a grab rail for the pillion to hold. Aftermarket options are available. In either case, naked bikes which have rear grab rails have them positioned such that the pillion has to hold them behind their seating position. Not a comfortable situation perhaps.

Bikes that offer upright ergonomics are much better when touring two-up. There’s a sound reason why folks prefer ADVs for this use case.

CB500X would be good, a V-Strom 650 would be perfect. Not too difficult to find 1-2 year old bikes.

My recommendation would therefore be either the Ninja 1000 or the V-Strom 650 (pre-owned given the budget constraint). Try to find owners who invested in hard cases for the Ninja and panniers for the V-Strom and buy the bike with all accessories.

Last edited by GoBlue : 15th August 2022 at 18:09.
GoBlue is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 18:43   #17
BHPian

Re: Confused dreams of a Middleweight | Trident v/s Street Triple R for 2 lakhs more?

My last two bits..

If it was a tossup between 120BHP and 80, it's more likely that 80% of the time I will use not even half of it.. other than to leave everyone behind as soon as the light turns green. And that's for appx 30sec till the next one. So 80 works just great for me.

Since your's is a duo-travel requirement, do please look for a comfortable and safe ride. Rest all be damned.

ps: I don't know about this delay in throttle response bit about the Trident. There are two modes- Rain/Road, and there is a whole world of difference between them. Also post 1000kms service, it's a whole new bike with a drastic change in throttle response. I am relearning.

Goodluck Pratik.
Shanmd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 20:07   #18
BHPian

I agree with goblue on choosing the Ninja1000.

Barring ADVs and the CB500X, there are not many options that let you enjoy pillion riding.

The Ninja1000 has ample pillion space, and u can add the panniers and take it for long runs.

There are plenty of good used Ninja 1000s. Spareparts and servicing is plenty in the metros. It's a fuss free bike. I had one and I enjoyed the commuting on it.
no_fear is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 22:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Main thing is take your time! Don’t be in a hurry even though our heart does not want to listen to the head where bikes are concerned at the very least
Cheers
It is funny how I held off the upgrade itch for the last 4-5 years and now that I have made up my mind, I am getting impatient and greedy. I have to think clearly
I misread Vasuki's comment earlier and realized it just now. Noted that it would be better for the bigger bikes will need cleaning and lubing every 500 kms. In case of my CBR, I get both the steps (adjustment and lubing) done locally every 1000 kms.

The reason I keep overthinking the weight aspect is because I have dropped my CBR twice during the initial days. Once while the bike just shut off while I was taking a tight u-turn in a small inner lane and second time while halfway into a turn, someone suddenly came in front of me and i had to hit the brakes mid turn to avoid collision. Both the times, before I could react, the bike had reached a point of no return. I carefully had to lay the bike on the ground to avoid damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
You are absolutely right and you're going to laugh at this. I always meant to say the Street Triple
Hope it helps in clearing some air and apologies if it kicks up more dust, like the Speed Triple fiasco earlier
I understood which bike you were referring to after your second comment, and it was simple miss. Nothing serious. Please don't apologize, your replies do really help.

With regards to the experience you shared, I hope I don't end up with a similar dilemma. In my case, this will not be my one final bike, fingers crossed and that is why I opted for a gradual path of upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Ninja 1000 is a decent bike with good pillion comfort which can be had in a budget of 8-9L.
My recommendation would therefore be either the Ninja 1000 or the V-Strom 650 (pre-owned given the budget constraint). Try to find owners who invested in hard cases for the Ninja and panniers for the V-Strom and buy the bike with all accessories.
Hello GoBlue, first and foremost congratulations on your wonderful Hayabusa, it looks absolutely beautiful.
I thought of going for a naked because of ease of use in the city and wouldn't be that bad for weekend rides. Buying an ADV would mean that I would just have to go for long trips regularly. I want to do that but if for some reason I don't, I'd feel really guilty.

The CB500X and V-Strom are definitely on the list of vehicles being considered. But in the last 2 months, I have only seen 1 V-Strom listed on OLX and not a single CB500X. Once I have test ridden all the options, that's when I'll start asking how to source one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
I agree with goblue on choosing the Ninja1000.
I had one and I enjoyed the commuting on it.
Hey no_fear, I gotta admit, you surely have a drool worthy garage. Must be really difficult every day deciding which bike to take out.

I completely agree with you, shancz and GoBlue that the Ninja 1000 is an amazing bike at a very tempting price point. I have read KathikK's thread on the amazing beast as well.
As tempting as the Ninja 1000 may sound, I would really think multiple times before jumping to a 1000 cc class. This is surely going to be a completely different ball game. But will test ride it for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
My last two bits..
Goodluck Pratik.
The comfort bit is what makes this purchase realy tricky since majority of the bikes have a challenging pillion seat. An ideal bike would be a multi cylinder (inline 3 or 4) middleweight bike, with a relaxed riding position and at a decent price point. Something like a CB400 with ABS maybe. But let me stop myself here because I have started to wander off topic.

Regarding the throttle response, it was said by a few people that the ride by wire has made the throttle a little too safe while some were not at all bothered by it. I am glad that you are really enjoying your bike. Happy mile munching.

Here's the check list for next weekend:
1. Honda CB650R
2. Ninja 1000
3. Versys 650
4. KTM ADV 390

I need to check on the V_Strom 650 test ride again. CB500X will make us wait for a really long time. The next few days of office are going to be very difficult.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th August 2022 at 01:12. Reason: “i —> I” please. Only the teeniest “shift” needed. :) Thank you.
pratik_terni is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 01:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

Don’t know how I missed the Ninja 1000. Great suggestion there by GoBlue and No_Fear and fully second it. You can get used examples in strike range of your budget and it’ll combine stonking riding pleasure with touring comfort to boot, specially with the made for Ninja side panniers.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 11:14   #21
BHPian

I have never experienced a Ninja 1000 but doesn't it need 95 octane fuel to run without any stalling issues? Even the Z900 too.?
Sman999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:04   #22
BHPian

If stretching the budget is not a constraint, the street triple R has no competition. Also try looking at the Z900 since it's pretty much the same money as a triple, and is an inline 4. The smiles per throttle will be immeasureable with a big bike, while underpowered bikes tend to lose the lustre
ubermensch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_terni View Post
The CB500X and V-Strom are definitely on the list of vehicles being considered. But in the last 2 months, I have only seen 1 V-Strom listed on OLX and not a single CB500X.
Connect with the Suzuki dealer/bike group in your city. They usually have information about owners who are selling.

Quote:
As tempting as the Ninja 1000 may sound, I would really think multiple times before jumping to a 1000 cc class. This is surely going to be a completely different ball game.
The current bike has a Low Power mode. In that the power delivery would resemble that of a CBR650R. Docile, nothing much to worry about.

It helps to have a bike that one grows into, yet doesn’t get bored of.

Once you get accustomed to Low Power mode, the Normal mode can be used to enjoy the natural litre class power delivery.

Last edited by GoBlue : 16th August 2022 at 12:13.
GoBlue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:58   #24
BHPian

Sorry to repeat the facts but here is my take on middleweight naked bikes.

They do not serve the purpose of touring as good as the sport tourer bikes.

They are obviously not dirt bikes. Some have attempted it on bikes such as the Ducati Scrambler but it is only a joke.

Most are not good for cornering, aggressive riding, track days as the riding / handling dynamics are not meant for that purpose.

Leaving all of the engine's potential totally wasted and the motorcycle being used for rides to Starbucks.

There are a few exceptions though. Such as the 890 Duke "R". All for its handling and racing characteristics. IMHO these are the only naked bikes worth any money. For everything else, there are much better bikes out there.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 16:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Here's the check list for next weekend:
1. Honda CB650R
2. Ninja 1000
3. Versys 650
4. KTM ADV 390

I need to check on the V_Strom 650 test ride again. CB500X will make us wait for a really long time. The next few days of office are going to be very difficult.
I'd also add the Tiger Sport 660 to the list, it has the Inline 3 symphony Triumph bikes are known for in a sport touring like package. It's essentially a Trident 660 with slightly more suspension travel, a longer swingarm and a different subframe to accommodate a pillion and touring luggage.

Ninja 1000, Tiger Sport 660 and the V-Strom 650 would be my personal top 3.
Old 16th August 2022, 17:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Leaving all of the engine's potential totally wasted and the motorcycle being used for rides to Starbucks.

There are a few exceptions though. Such as the 890 Duke "R". All for its handling and racing characteristics. IMHO these are the only naked bikes worth any money. For everything else, there are much better bikes out there.
Well my thinking is exact opposite, the only bike which fits well into the Indian context is the middleweight naked. We don't have tracks -just the 3 which is generally accessible. Most tarred surface is not well laid. Highways these days generally are if you know which route to take but then they don't really have too many corners/chicanes.
So sportsbikes are little more than ornaments.
Coming to big sports tourers, again too heavy and too much power for our road conditions. Although they make more sense than a sportsbike, but only if touring is done routinely.
Which brings us to the big ADVs. It's generally accepted that true greenlaning is best done on dirt bikes or smaller ADV bikes like a Himalayan or may be a Vstrom or versys. The 300 KG monster ADVs are an overkill even in the west.
So all things considered the middleweight naked is the best bike if you really have to buy a superbike. Engine doesn't stack up all the power beyond 10k rpm, you are not killing your back all the time on our pothole ridden roads and less weight makes it easy to manoeuvre compared to the big burly sport tourers.
I personally prefer committed riding position of a sportsbike, but sadly even after paying so much road tax and toll all you get is potholes and badly laid roads. It's hard to make peace with but it's what it is here in India.
doga is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
In case of my CBR, I get both the steps (adjustment and lubing) done locally every 1000 kms.
I think this whole thing of cleaning and lubing every 500kms is to make sure that plenty of expensive cleaning products get sold. Chain maintenance is the same across all motorcycles unless you have a shaft driven one

Chain looks slightly dry and you hear some noise? Just lube it. Looks slightly dirty/dusty? That's mostly fine. Looks moderately dirty? Probably time to clean it which takes 5 minutes with a chain cleaning brush. I've usually just lubed the chain with a few squirts every 500kms or so or the next morning after a long riding day. Cleaning is usually every 1000 to 1500kms and sometimes even less frequently than that on tours. I've never needed to adjust anything unless there is play, which has not happened outside a regular service. The sprockets have stayed fine throughout.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 21:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I think this whole thing of cleaning and lubing every 500kms is to make sure that plenty of expensive cleaning products get sold. Chain maintenance is the same across all motorcycles unless you have a shaft driven one

Chain looks slightly dry and you hear some noise? Just lube it. Looks slightly dirty/dusty? That's mostly fine. Looks moderately dirty? Probably time to clean it which takes 5 minutes with a chain cleaning brush. I've usually just lubed the chain with a few squirts every 500kms or so or the next morning after a long riding day. Cleaning is usually every 1000 to 1500kms and sometimes even less frequently than that on tours. I've never needed to adjust anything unless there is play, which has not happened outside a regular service. The sprockets have stayed fine throughout.
What you say is true. But chain adjustment varies from bike to bike. In your case, being VStrom power delivery is quite linear, hence chain adjustment cycle is long. When I had Z800 it also was the same scenario. But with Multistrada, need to do chain adjustment at much shorter intervals. The service booklet mentions within 1000 Kms. I do it @ 2500 - 300 Kms intervals. And yes shaft driven is the best.
Old 17th August 2022, 07:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
Which brings us to the big ADVs. It's generally accepted that true greenlaning is best done on dirt bikes or smaller ADV bikes like a Himalayan or may be a Vstrom or versys. The 300 KG monster ADVs are an overkill even in the west.
So all things considered the middleweight naked is the best bike if you really have to buy a superbike.
I should have written sports tourers / adventure tourers. I agree to your view given the road conditions, etc that nakeds make some sense. I still doubt a powerful naked will ever be utilized to it's potential (whatever that potential is given the mixed handling characteristics).

If I have to buy a motorcycle in India, it would very well be something on the lines of 390 Adventure (2022 production units are quite refined) or the V Storm 650 if it has to be that powerful and so on. Enough power and the better suspension / ground clearance, lesser wear and tear, etc. Really dislike RE because I know there are going to be serious issues and bundles of minor niggling issues combined.
iron.head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 16:43   #30
BHPian

Hey Pratik, reading through your posts I feel that there is a certain nervousness and hesitation on getting on to the bigger bikes in terms of power, size or weight. Perhaps this is a a subconscious response based on a couple of slow/static falls in the past? But you've already done test rides for some of them so what's holding you back I wonder.

Even the most experienced riders fall once in a while, it's okay and a part of what we do. In fact the more challenging the bike the more fun you'll have on the longer run. I don't see any reason to restrict yourself by bhp/torque - the throttle is always (and should be) in your control. I would rather have the horses in hand and use them sparingly than not having them at all, especially after 6 months of riding the bike.

On the size/weight front, again it's a mindset. I know people who have been taking their Tigers and GS1250 to work everyday in the crazy Bangalore traffic, and are fine with it. In fact, they've even sold their smaller bikes which they thought they would keep for city commuting.

Not having skills to handle bigger bikes is better than not having the confidence to ever develop them. As a normal healthy person, age no bar, and with basic riding experience under your belt you can easily build your skills on any new big bike with patience. There are people in the world whose first bike have been litre class.

Re-thinking on these parameters may help you with your choices.

Coming to the bikes, due to past experiences I tend to stick to new bikes. I would go for the D390adv in this budget, save some. On the used front, personally I would straight off go for the Street Triple as I am solo rider. However, I think the N1K is perfect for your requirements, especially 2up+ touring. Alternatively the Trident 660 is also a good choice, a tad bit more suited for shorter rides. Neither of the bikes would attract too much of attention as well.

A pre-worshipped Trident660 black, done just around 1K was available recently with Keerthi. You could check with them if still available.

Good luck on your journey!
Slash is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks