Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 15:36   #76
BHPian

sitting pillion -on any bike!

What was drilled into our heads as kids was that as a pillion you need to sit like a sack of potatoes!
And as Rtech says - no sudden movements! DONT even try to lean into the curve it could unsettle the bike/rider!

PS Women make better pillion riders! They know where to hold on!
Gerardfdz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2007, 15:57   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
If you sit pillion on a superbike, you're a braver man than I!
Rtech and Zeeshan, You bet guys... i had this experience of sitting pillion and hence the question.

Well Just a little offtopic: The experience itself was hardly a minute or two but yes.... that scared the hell out of me but still i was sitting tight...(in those two minutes i recited all possible prayers )
Started from the Signal After aria the one which is at Gold's Gym. All The local Superbikes were at the signal, me along with my friend with his white beauty (GSXr1300). The Timer on the signal starts clicking towards the lower numbers and our local bikers vrooooming.....and twisting the throttle... and my friend slowly puts the white beauty on the 1st Gear ...Thak and asks me to bend a little more towards his back...3-2-1-0 Zooooooom we take off 1st gear reaches to 85kmh apprx and then second and we reach the 1st bend in not more than 10 secs, and then my hand and body starts pulling off ,grips go loose, eyes start closing , cheeks are pulled behind with the force of the air we were cutting thru,i bend more and then the last thing i saw on the digital meet was 182kmh and i closed the eyes to recite all the prayers. Suddenly the haji ali signal is closing in and i just turned my head back and no trails of our indian Superbikes Whoaaa. The best experience ever on a pillion. So thought i could take some more tips. Thanx guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
PS Women make better pillion riders! They know where to hold on!
Exactlyyyyyyy Gerard totally agree with you

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th July 2007 at 23:35.
SohailPistawala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2007, 16:24   #78
BHPian

If you wnana have a nice time watching the view when on high speeds get a nice pair or clear Glares so ur eyes wont flutter about, and trust me its looks like a video game, everything going past as if ur flying
Old 19th July 2007, 16:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Lets put an end to this guesswork. I finally found some accurate information on this. Here goes:.....

Customs duty for vehicles which had been registered abroad (Used vehicles)
Cars:
Basic duty: 105%
Addl. Duty: 24.48%
Total Duty: 159.87%

Motorcycles:
Basic duty: 105%
Addl. Duty: 16.32%
Total Duty: 142.64%

Customs duty for vehicles which had not been registered abroad (New vehicles)
Cars: **
Basic duty: 60%
Addl. Duty: 24.48%
Total Duty: 102.16%

Motorcycles: **
Basic duty: 60%
Addl. Duty: 16.32%
Total Duty: 88.70%
** if brought in Completely Knocked Down (CKD) condition, Basic Duty will be 20%. # Education Cess of 2% imposed in the budget has been considered.
did you say accurate???
sorry!
I am confused even more now!!!
the duty is higher for the used vehicles???

Quote:
Value of these vehicles for the purpose of levy of customs duty is CIF value, where C stands for the cost of the goods, I is the insurance and F is the freight. Cost in the case of new vehicle is the transaction value between the seller and the buyer. However in the case of old and used vehicles, cost is arrived at by taking value of the vehicle in year of manufacture and after allowing depreciation at the following rates.

(i) For every quarter during 1st year - 4%
(ii) For every quarter during 2nd year - 3%
(iii) For every quarter during 3rd year - 2.5%
(iv) For every quarter during 4th year - 2%
and thereafter subject to a maximum depreciation of 70%
And also the percentages thingy is a bit controversial thing, for example
(i) For every quarter during 1st year - 4%
does it mean that a bike costing 4lakhs, after a year its value is 3.36lakhs (16% depriciation) or is it 3.39lakhs(4% depriciated for every quarter over the previous price, that comes to 15.065%)

Can any one explain me the calculations taking an example of a new bike costing 4 lkahs abroad. Also with a used bike costing 4 lakhs abroad.

P.S. Sorry if I frustrate some one with this post.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 19th July 2007 at 16:46.
Old 5th August 2007, 10:40   #80
BHPian

Riding gear

Quote:
Riding boots
Hence, do not underestimate the benefit of a good riding boot.

If you can’t get purpose made riding boots, I would suggest a good pair of ankle length, steel toed shoes like Dr.Martins or Cats.
Robin, Where can I buy a good pair of waterproof riding boots in aamchi mumbai, which doesn't cost a bomb. Am leaving for Leh this weekend and realised yesterday that the pair I have gets soaked through in an hour of riding in the rain. Are the "Dr. Martins" and "Cats" waterproof and if yes, available in Mumbai? A lot of riders I know do have this question and I thought the responses would help a lot of us. However, feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

Thanks a ton.

Rajesh
Old 5th August 2007, 20:01   #81
Team-BHP Support

For genuine cats and similar brands you could lookup 'adams' and another store called 'touch', both are in heera panna, second lane left side, if you enter from the main entrance.
In bandra, one could try Cobbler, well known boot maker, and could surely help you out. This is a couple of shops down in the famed Golden Moments lane, heading towards Hawain Shack.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 5th August 2007 at 20:09.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2007, 10:32   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where can I buy a good pair of waterproof riding boots in aamchi mumbai, which doesn't cost a bomb.
Hmm. Frankly, I don't think you will find any purpose made riding boots here. As manson mentioned, you can find original Cats etc. in Heera Paana, but those are not the heavy duty ones, more the dress up, night out on town types, so I doubt they will be waterproof.

An option would be to check out the safety shoes sold at shops near Ballard estate. They are not only water resistant, but resistant to oil and other chemicals as well. But, while they may be fine for riding, I don't know how good they would be for hiking around in th mountains.

Another option would be to try and get hold of the boots the army uses. Not sure where those are available though. And make sure you break in these boots properly before any long distance riding.
Old 6th August 2007, 10:49   #83
BANNED

Rtech is theres any restriction to import used bikes?as i heard it should be registered in importers name for atleast 3 years or something like that.
If 143% is the total we have to pay for 2nds bike then i am game to get some beasts from abroad.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:53   #84
Team-BHP Support

Ajay, one cannoth import a used bike older than four years unless he is bringing it down on TR, transfer of residence.
If one wants to get a vehicle down on TR, he has to own the same for a minimum period of one year before moving to the country.

manson.
Old 6th August 2007, 19:28   #85
Senior - BHPian

OT:boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpanicker View Post
Robin, Where can I buy a good pair of waterproof riding boots in aamchi mumbai, which doesn't cost a bomb. Am leaving for Leh this weekend and realised yesterday that the pair I have gets soaked through in an hour of riding in the rain. Are the "Dr. Martins" and "Cats" waterproof and if yes, available in Mumbai?
I have karrimor KSB - Brit army spec. 60 GBP. Waterproof in ankle deep water - all day tested.

By far the biggest mistake I did for leh. Once they are wet, nothing in hell/heaven dries them out completely. Although my feet sweat very less in them.

Just take usual adidas 2-3k level shoes. You don't need any better. Carry enough newspapers to dry them out overnight.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:26   #86
BHPian

manson: the places you mentioned they leave a deeep hole in the pocket.... lols...the guys from touch and heera panna shops... get you tempted to buy but the price tag.... flushes your dreams lols.

i would suggest puma reason being they are light and easy on foot. I dont think its the Biking shoe but the car race shoe... you the one with anklets, the one we see on formula1 driver's feet.. what say any take on that... i guess they are priced decently under 5k
Old 7th August 2007, 11:40   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i would suggest puma reason being they are light and easy on foot. I dont think its the Biking shoe but the car race shoe... you the one with anklets, the one we see on formula1 driver's feet.. what say any take on that... i guess they are priced decently under 5k
NO way! Those shoe's would not last very long on a bike. Firstly, you use your toes to change gears, so the thin suede will not only wear of really soon, but will provide little to no protection nor will it be comfortable changing gears like that.

Puma do actually make amazing riding boots and riding shoes that are lightweight but offering good protection. However, don't expect to find any of those in your local Puma showroom here.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:45   #88
BHPian

rtech: they are available.... in stores of puma, i am a happy Puma fan for their liight weight shoes. My wifey gifted me a pair without anklets it costed are Rs.2999/- and i have fallen in love with her all over again and the shoes . Yeah currently they are kinda out of stock since they were one of the best selling products.
This was my gift.
http://www.formula1mall.com/images/Shoes/30061501.jpg
One can always get it from abroad, it will infact be slightly cheaper
Old 7th August 2007, 11:51   #89
Team-BHP Support

Sohail, you read it wrong. I did not imply that the shoes you mentioned are not sold here. I meant that they are really not the best for bikes. Puma does make rider specific shoes though, and those are the ones that are not sold here.
Old 7th August 2007, 12:02   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
rtech: they are available.... in stores of puma, i am a happy Puma fan for their liight weight shoes. My wifey gifted me a pair without anklets it costed are Rs.2999/- and i have fallen in love with her all over again and the shoes . Yeah currently they are kinda out of stock since they were one of the best selling products.
This was my gift.
http://www.formula1mall.com/images/Shoes/30061501.jpg
One can always get it from abroad, it will infact be slightly cheaper
wow!! those are a wonderfull pair of shoes. for 2999/- its a VFM product. And also with that kind of vibrant color its a good gift somebody can give me .

I am getting it from abroad through my BIL.

How good are they for Touring on bikes (and also for long drives in the car)??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks