Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 01:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to selecting a bike for India here are my criteria:

1. It HAS to be air-cooled if it is more than 600cc multi-cylinder.

2. Compression ratio lower than 11:1 - otherwise running lower octane fuels will be difficult. Lower the compression ratio, lower the power output but vehicle is less sensitive to fuel quality. MT-01 has a comp ratio of 8.4:1

3. Sealed brake/clutch master cylinders to avoid tampering by curious numb-nuts.

4. No fairings - to attract less attention.

5. Bent metal rod handle-bar - NO clip-ons that will break if you fall. Handlebar can always be bent back to usable shape.

6. Underseat storage space for documents.

7. Dual disks up front for stopping power.

8. Instruments to include trip-meter (at least 2), Odometer, Speedo/Tach, Fuel gauge (accurate) and temperature warning LED / digital readout.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2010, 06:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant report on a subject it is hard to find a decent one about. I have always had concerns about the range of these bikes, and I see that it is an issue on this one as well, to use it on highways without periodic rises in blood pressure. A 400 kms range would be really useful. On my Bangalore - Pune car drives, I remember that the first decent pump on the main highway was as far away as Ranebennur, close to 300 kms from Bangalore.
Are you saying that you did the Mumbai Bangalore run in 30 minutes less on a Karizma?? Or was it the other way around? Are you losing so much time in the top up stops?
The other question is which of the two bikes tired you out more at the end of the ride? Both mentally and physically.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th August 2010 at 06:34.
Old 8th August 2010, 08:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well the range definitely is an issue on a road you are not familiar with because the anxiety keeps rising once the Reserve indicator comes on. This means you have about 40-43 Km to go until the tank is dry. There have been situations where I have gone up to 40 Km and the bike has stuttered at which point I switched it off and phoned a friend. This was when I was riding to Bangalore from Mumbai and fortunately I ran out of gas just 6Km from his house so he showed up with the fuel that he kept in a can for his R1.

I have had close calls on NH4 because sometimes you may fill up at a bunk about 180Km from Chitradurga and when you pass Chitradurga you still have a comfortable 40 Km range but now the fuel light comes on and the next clean fuel pump may be outside the 70Km range. At this point I take the decision to fill up 5L of WHATEVER fuel I find on the roadside in the hope that it will be reasonably clean and unadulterated and enough to take me to a good gas station. So far, fingers crossed, I haven't had an issue with bad quality fuel even from the most deserted looking gas stations. I usually ask them up front "Is the fuel quality good. I just want clean fuel...don't want to interfere with your business. If it is not clean please tell me and I will go ahead". They usually smile and tell me not to worry...and they've been right so far.

Yes the Karizma is definitely faster on Indian roads and mostly because of it's superior range and our bad roads. See on the MT-01 you can reach higher speeds but they are VERY difficult to sustain because we don't have elevated highways in many states (MH has elevated highways to bypass towns and villages in some places). There is always the fear that someone or something is going to come out of that break in the median and ruin your day and maybe even your life. Automatically you slow down and adopt a very cautious approach.

I can categorically tell you that less than 20% of the SBK riders you see will survive a 1000Km highway trip given the way they ride during their 100Km excursions. It takes a paradigm shift in your thinking, awareness and you cannot have the aggressive and balls to the wall riding style that they demonstrate. Even on an Indian bike it requires a circumspect approach because in the event of a collision between a bike and something as small as a dog crossing the road - the biker loses out BIG time and can even lose his/her life.

The MT-01 is a heavy machine and once it is up to speed, the stopping distances increase exponentially with every Km/h you add to the numbers on the display. You have to keep looking further and further ahead and reacting to scenes that are playing out 500m to 1000m ahead of you. It can be very stressful and fatiguing and there are times, when riding through MH and mostly the NH7 from Hosur to Chennai via Vaniyambadi that I have regretted the decision to ride through. The highway is used by the villagers as a "Mela Ground" and for some reason everyone on one side seems to want to be on the other side. Why can't they decide once and for all and just stay put? It sounds funny but the chances of an incident are VERY high on the roads of TN and the consequences are dire.

Given all these facts the average speeds you can maintain on the Karizma vis. the MT-01 become nearly identical and with the condition of the roads about a year back, the more nimble, cheap and easy on the wallet (in case you break it) Karizma edges ahead of the MT. Today may be a different story because Ranebennur bypass is operational and the stretch from Haveri to Chitradurga isn't as bad as it used to be. In a year's time maybe the MT will have the edge due to outright speed and the fact that gas station quality is improving on this stretch.

I am sure that on the Mumbai - Delhi stretch the MT will be faster.

This isn't a dig at SBK riders...they just get their fix in a different way from me and although I can ride with them, I truly believe they will have to put on a different helmet if they want to do the kind of rides that I do. It is no longer a journey of fun and frolic but a journey of survival.

On the last question, the MT-01 is easier to live with mentally and physically. Usually the body follows the mind but in this case the mind follows the body. You get physically uncomfortable and have a feeling of insecurity on the Karizma far more easily than on the MT-01. I have been in so much pain once on a Mumbai - BLR trip on the Karizma that I've stopped 50Km from Tumkur at a Kamats and called my friends for help. That they didn't show up if a different issue I still rode it all the way through the pain but it wasn't pleasant.

Oh and please carry a clear visor if you are going to use a tinted one...made that mistake once and every minute on the road was a horror film because of poor visibility and random road-crossing, overturned lorries with no warning...etc.

Yes sometimes situations can get out of control and intimidating but it is well worth the moment when the rays of sun illuminate the vast green plains and mountains and the view takes your breath away...moments like these makes it all worth the trouble.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2010, 10:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Yes the Karizma is definitely faster on Indian roads and mostly because of it's superior range and our bad roads. See on the MT-01 you can reach higher speeds but they are VERY difficult to sustain because we don't have elevated highways in many states (MH has elevated highways to bypass towns and villages in some places). There is always the fear that someone or something is going to come out of that break in the median and ruin your day and maybe even your life. Automatically you slow down and adopt a very cautious approach.

I can categorically tell you that less than 20% of the SBK riders you see will survive a 1000Km highway trip given the way they ride during their 100Km excursions. It takes a paradigm shift in your thinking, awareness and you cannot have the aggressive and balls to the wall riding style that they demonstrate. Even on an Indian bike it requires a circumspect approach because in the event of a collision between a bike and something as small as a dog crossing the road - the biker loses out BIG time and can even lose his/her life.

Yes sometimes situations can get out of control and intimidating but it is well worth the moment when the rays of sun illuminate the vast green plains and mountains and the view takes your breath away...moments like these makes it all worth the trouble.
Thanks for another very detailed response that will be very valuable to many on two wheels. Or even four for that matter, even in a car I am paranoid about the median strips/hedges hiding people and animals that may dash out in your path at any time. Even if the car may save me, I would not want a death of another human on my conscience for the rest of my life.
Riding a big bike at even their cruising speeds on Indian highways will be a no no for quite a few more years, I'd say.
And a big to the last part.
Old 8th August 2010, 10:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsFerrari
Given all these facts the average speeds you can maintain on the Karizma vis. the MT-01 become nearly identical and with the condition of the roads about a year back, the more nimble, cheap and easy on the wallet (in case you break it) Karizma edges ahead of the MT
I initially wrote a huge para debating your points, but this one is most aptly put. The average speed on ZMA & MT01 will vary only marginally on long drives. Somehow I refuse to believe ZMA reaches more quickly than MT. If that is true, then the Indian manufacturers are right on their approach on R&D as well as new launches; I'll stop saving for a SBK & buy a ZMR right away.

Point - A Tvs 50 in good hands reaches faster than a Busa in wrong hands.

Quote:
Even on an Indian bike it requires a circumspect approach because in the event of a collision between a bike and something as small as a dog crossing the road
+100000...

Quote:
You have to keep looking further and further ahead
That is peripheral view. You're right that it increases as the speed increases.

Quote:
Why can't they decide once and for all and just stay put?
Who told you they don't decide? Only thing is they come to the middle of the road & then decide what to do instead of thinking before the cross

Quote:
It sounds funny but the chances of an incident are VERY high on the roads of TN
Sorry, its very less compared to AP & not to mention the maniac drivers in KA. The lowest of all is KL. Only good thing is, in TN, most roads are good compared to other 3 states in South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer
even in a car I am paranoid about the median strips/hedges hiding people and animals that may dash out in your path at any time
Its a sad state or truth. Try to drive/ride in the middle lane when in doubt. In the NH4-NH46-NH7 stretch between Chennai-Bangalore, when taking turns, this happens where in the median has lots of plants blocking our vision. I always make a point to have a visual before reaching forward. If I don't have visuals, I'd better slow down & take the visuals before moving forward.

Last edited by aargee : 8th August 2010 at 11:03.
Old 8th August 2010, 11:13   #21
BHPian

Very inspiring post (don't know if it was meant to be!)

Even when people can a vehicle for approx 10L, they'd rather choose a car. It is quite bold of you to follow your dreams.

I drive an R15, and it is quite a fun bike - But, I quite curse myself in road GPs for the lack of power is evident - A ZMA, P200, P220, RTR 180 can give a lot of trouble! Everytime I push the limits of R15, I decide to buy a much bigger bike!

Now, if I do buy one, I know whom to blame :-)

Excellent bike, even better write-up and an even more AWESOME TBHPian :-)
Old 8th August 2010, 11:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great writeup Guru. Posting a few pics would make it more interesting. Thanks!

Spike
Old 8th August 2010, 11:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sriram - going fast gets boring VERY soon. I've done 285 Km/h on my Busa and it wasn't any more exciting than doing 50 Km/h going around a roundabout with the pegs scraping the ground. I suggest you hook up with Indimotard for their trackdays and after just a couple of laps around the track you will give up riding fast on the roads and develop an appetite for the track. Even crashing on the track is more exciting than crashing on the road which is almost always unpleasant. Please don't try to validate my last statement.

If you want to buy a Superbike - by all means go for it. There is a certain thrill in the way it accelerates and the quality feel of the suspension and tires and it definitely offers an overall experience that you just don't get from a smaller bike.

But if you are thinking of going cross-country or touring then you can do a lot worse than hooking yourself up with a ZMR, Pulsar, R15 etc. They may not be the big ticket to blockbuster entertainment but sometimes low budget films can also make a huge impact. And anyway...I am no big Kahuna when it comes to biking...I can assure you.

Glad you guys liked the write-up. I'll try to answer your questions as and when they come.

I've posted links to the pictures on the first post. Have fun!

Last edited by gsferrari : 8th August 2010 at 11:57.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

That is an inspiring thread to own a high end bike in India.
During a recent G2G, we were debating whether a R1 makes sense for indian roads and climate conditions. I think your choice makes more sense.

I was skeptical about Yamaha service after reading Rossitier's experience. It seems that I was wrong.

I think a Suzuki Bandit 1250 would make a great tourer.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi GSF,
You are certifiably nuts.
It would be a pleasure touring with you.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th August 2010, 10:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

I know rossiter very closely and he is one of my best friends. He has had MAJOR issues with Yamaha's service and I think you will find CBU owners on both sides of the field. I've had a good run with them so far and I hope it will continue once the more serious service requirements start to come forward that require greater technical expertise.

I never trust anyone to do a good job unless they are compelled by a contract, commission, threat to their life. In all other cases I make sure I am around to supervise and put things on the right track. I have heard of CBU customers complaining about issues with Yamaha's service but I, frankly, have never faced this issue. Please also note that MOST of the complaints are with reference to the Yamaha R1 motorcycle. Issues ranging from missing fairing fasteners to short-cut service methods.

I don't have the issue with fairing fasteners because the MT-01 doesn't have fairings. I don't let them take short-cuts because I am always breathing over their shoulders to make sure things are done correctly. If I find out that they have tightened certain vital bolts without using a torque wrench I immediately call the service head who blasts the living daylights out of them.

It is human/Indian tendency to avoid reaching for a tool if it is more than a gentle stretch out of arm's reach. There is no other reason why we are the kings of "jugaad". That is when you step in because your bloody life depends on the job being done correctly! If the brakes are not bled correctly you will be pulling the lever into the throttle without any stopping force...this can be fatal at high speeds. If certain fasteners are not tightened correctly or if the frame bolts are not periodically tightened you may be left flying along at 100+ km/h with just the handlebar in your hands and no bike beneath you.

Why take that chance?

Rossiter's case is echoed by several other owners. There was a known issue with the 2007 R1 and Yamaha India is disinclined to acknowledge it. They grudgingly gave a partial warranty as if they were doing him a favor and since then it has been a downhill slide for him and his experience with the marque. I don't imagine he will be purchasing another Yamaha CBU anytime soon.

I don't imagine I will be purchasing any other motorcycle soon because I am having an absolute HOOT on top of the MT at the moment and until BMW comes in with the S1000RR and R1200GS Adventure, my money is going to sit firmly in the bank. For those of you who are on the fence...I just say GO FOR IT. If you are a working professional like I am, your paycheck only gets bigger and soon the EMIs will become insignificant. It is the same story wrt buying a house...start soon and what seems like a monumental EMI will soon become a minor expense.

There are plenty of things in life to regret at a later point in time. Don't let your dreams and your home fall into that list...go get sorted NOW!
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 11:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

First off, an excellent write-up summarizing your life with the MT. Its one year of your life, not just another ride and you have detailed each area exceptionally well.

Quote:
I am not your typical SBK rider who does 100Km on a Sunday, installs every accessory available on the face of the earth and shies away from bad weather and bad roads. I am the enthusiast who rides 1000Km in a single day and likes to do distance everytime I take the trouble to suit-up and head out.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Ear-Plugs are a MUST regardless of what bike you ride because the wind-blast can turn you deaf after a long ride like this. It also becomes VERY irritating and if you don’t believe me, I invite you to try it out (please carry ear-plugs in your pocket all the same). Sometimes I swap out the ear-plugs for my Shure E2c or E5 and listen to some music. I now have the Razer Moray+ headset which can also be connected to my mobile phone to take calls on the go which is useful for me if I have taken leave from work. More recently I have installed the Cardo BT headset on my helmet which connects to other rider’s helmets and also to the mobile phone. This beats wearing a IEM (In Ear Monitor) and I can make do with just ear-plugs. I still wear ear-plugs and the Cardo speakers are loud enough to be used even with earplugs in use.
Doesnt music / phone calls interfere with concentration while riding at high speeds? Moreover a split second distraction can be disastrous.

I got earplugs with my lid but never used them so far since I dont want to block important sounds... Some people drive like they are shitting their pants. They honk and dont wait till you move over and are almost running over you.

Quote:
Don’t laugh! Nivea cream is your best friend when it comes to postponing the effects of saddle-soreness. Apply liberally to the glutes, thighs and crotch and it will keep you comfortable for the entire trip where otherwise you would be shifting around and writhing in agony within 5-6 hours. Once the pain sets in then every minute you spend on the saddle becomes a NIGHTMARE so don’t take this lightly. I carry a large tub of nivea carefully marked “For Guru’s Privates” so nobody else takes a dip in it. If you visit me at home and see a tub of Nivea please ask me before you “dip” into it because once you do…it might be too late
Funny but true. I havent done any really long rides so never had the opportunity to use Nivea or the likes. I plan to do some long rides in the near future and am working my body towards it. Will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Quote:
The best part is that you can sneak up quietly into a gaggle of unsuspecting commuters and then whack open the throttle and watch their eyes go wide in horror as you belt away at triple digit speeds. It is ENORMOUS fun and a total hoot to ride in the city…
ROFL. Sadistic but very nice. Would love to do this, see the look on their face and then accelerate away while laughing away like a moron inside my lid.

Quote:
I suggest you hook up with Indimotard for their trackdays and after just a couple of laps around the track you will give up riding fast on the roads and develop an appetite for the track. Even crashing on the track is more exciting than crashing on the road which is almost always unpleasant. Please don't try to validate my last statement.
Badly want to ride on the track but scared of crashing and damaging my bike. Will give it some more miles so I understand the dynamics much better so my chances of a crash are significantly lower. Craving to knee down on turns but scared again.

Quote:
If the brakes are not bled correctly you will be pulling the lever into the throttle without any stopping force...this can be fatal at high speeds. If certain fasteners are not tightened correctly or if the frame bolts are not periodically tightened you may be left flying along at 100+ km/h with just the handlebar in your hands and no bike beneath you.

Why take that chance?
Totally agree. I even got the oil changed in my presence and was supervising the whole activity.

Quote:
If you are a working professional like I am, your paycheck only gets bigger and soon the EMIs will become insignificant. It is the same story wrt buying a house...start soon and what seems like a monumental EMI will soon become a minor expense.

There are plenty of things in life to regret at a later point in time. Don't let your dreams and your home fall into that list...go get sorted NOW!
So true. Very nicely written and thoroughly enjoyed reading your experiences. Have fun and ride safe bro.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:08   #28
BHPian

A very level-headed thread. Enjoyed it. The Suzuki Bandit is interesting me. Anyone own it on the forum?
Old 9th August 2010, 17:49   #29
BHPian

Just wonderful!

Well, I am not into bikes, more of a car guy. But this thread has definitely caught my attention! It's a wonderful write-up on your experiences with the MT-01. A very very interest read and I compliment the effort you have put in to explain everything so well. Great job gsferrari! Waiting for more from you.

Last edited by vjabraham : 9th August 2010 at 17:50. Reason: spelling mistake correction
Old 9th August 2010, 18:39   #30
SDP
Team-BHP Support

@gsferrari, absoultely brilliant writeup with amazing amount of detail about the intricasies of owning and living with a true cruzer in India.
Congratulations to you for living your dreams. The thread is truly inspirational !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks