Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 12:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson introduces SuperLow @ 5.5 lacs!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
i saw the iron yesterday , beautiful , blue in colour and an lovely rumble at idle.
The iron only comes in Matt black. I am guessing it was a single seat and had black exhausts with the four digits being the same of the registration no. If its the same bike then its a 1200 and not a 883.
Old 21st December 2010, 23:31   #47
BHPian

Are the 883 and the 1200 bikes very different in how they feel, deliver the power, etc? Can someone who has ridden both post some riding impressions.

Maybe it is a matter of perspective, the 883 has always struck me as a really small bike and does not have the street presence one expects of a Harley. 883cc in absolute terms is a substantial engine, but in Harley terms sounds puny. The 1200 seems to be more desirable. Setting aside prejudices for a moment, I would be keen to know if the 883 and the 1200 are significantly different. Riders impressions wanted.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The iron only comes in Matt black. I am guessing it was a single seat and had black exhausts with the four digits being the same of the registration no. If its the same bike then its a 1200 and not a 883.
umm yep it was a single seat with black exhaust , didnt look at the regn no, is it the same bike with a bigger engine or a completely different thing?
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Maybe it is a matter of perspective, the 883 has always struck me as a really small bike and does not have the street presence one expects of a Harley. 883cc in absolute terms is a substantial engine, but in Harley terms sounds puny. The 1200 seems to be more desirable. Setting aside prejudices for a moment, I would be keen to know if the 883 and the 1200 are significantly different. Riders impressions wanted.
I Agree the 883 range really do not give you the feel of a cruiser, and some might say it does not have poser value. When my wife looked at the 883 range she was like "this costs 9lakhs" . Even for her the 1200 Sportster felt better looking than the 883 bikes. Another reason would be the all the other bigger siblings shadow the smaller bikes at the showroom, maybe the mind is playing a trick.

But for the price of a HD coming down to 5.5 and 6.5 well I think that will be a deal breaker for most.
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:19   #50
BHPian

Take a look at this review

2010 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 Low Review - Motorcycle.com

Seriously sounds like riding it on Indian roads will be a problem. Even though its lower than the earlier price, I don't think people will plonk down 6-odd lakhs and then be happy to discover that the pipes and footpegs scrape the ground on even a moderate lean.

This article

Shootout: 2010 Honda Shadow RS vs. 2010 Harley-Davidson 883 Low - Motorcycle.com

describes a shootout between the Super Low and the Honda Shadow RS and I quote

'This still didn’t prevent us from quickly grinding half of the H-D’s left peg feeler on some local canyon roads. We went to work on the right feeler too, but the solidly-mounted exhaust was getting scraped and caving in, and threatened to lever the wheels off the tarmac. Its low-slung chrome pipe – now freshly scuffed – kept us from whacking it over on that side with as much abandon.

The Shadow RS struck down too, but its broader limits made it far more able to go faster on twisty roads without worrying. We consider this part of the enjoyment of riding, even on cruisers, and it’s arguably a safety issue. If a rider over-cooks a corner, he or she would want to not have to be concerned whether there’s enough latitude to avoid an oncoming car, or make it through a tighter than anticipated corner, if needed.'

Sounds pretty scary considering these reviews were done on American roads.

I wonder what'd happen on Indian roads..

Also, apparently it was very uncomfortable even for a guy who is 5 feet 8 inches tall. People who are even average height are not going to enjoy long rides on this baby.

I quote again

the 883L made 5-foot-8-inch-tall testers feel cramped, and 6-footers couldn’t wait to get off the thing.

Last edited by RT13 : 22nd December 2010 at 17:23.
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
umm yep it was a single seat with black exhaust , didnt look at the regn no, is it the same bike with a bigger engine or a completely different thing?
What you saw is the XL 1200N Nightster with after market exhausts. The bike even though looks similar to the 883 is a whole different bike but is from the same sportster family, so shares the same design elements.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:58   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Take a look at this review

2010 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 Low Review - Motorcycle.com

Seriously sounds like riding it on Indian roads will be a problem. Even though its lower than the earlier price, I don't think people will plonk down 6-odd lakhs and then be happy to discover that the pipes and footpegs scrape the ground on even a moderate lean.

This article

Shootout: 2010 Honda Shadow RS vs. 2010 Harley-Davidson 883 Low - Motorcycle.com

describes a shootout between the Super Low and the Honda Shadow RS and I quote

'This still didn’t prevent us from quickly grinding half of the H-D’s left peg feeler on some local canyon roads. We went to work on the right feeler too, but the solidly-mounted exhaust was getting scraped and caving in, and threatened to lever the wheels off the tarmac. Its low-slung chrome pipe – now freshly scuffed – kept us from whacking it over on that side with as much abandon.

The Shadow RS struck down too, but its broader limits made it far more able to go faster on twisty roads without worrying. We consider this part of the enjoyment of riding, even on cruisers, and it’s arguably a safety issue. If a rider over-cooks a corner, he or she would want to not have to be concerned whether there’s enough latitude to avoid an oncoming car, or make it through a tighter than anticipated corner, if needed.'

Sounds pretty scary considering these reviews were done on American roads.

I wonder what'd happen on Indian roads..

Also, apparently it was very uncomfortable even for a guy who is 5 feet 8 inches tall. People who are even average height are not going to enjoy long rides on this baby.

I quote again

the 883L made 5-foot-8-inch-tall testers feel cramped, and 6-footers couldn’t wait to get off the thing.
The reviews actually confirm that it is indeed a smallish bike. The low GC is a deal breaker. On my LB500, my biggest worry has been the foot peg ploughing into the pavement and taking me out. I definitely do not want more of this. Evidently the XR1200X also scrapes rather easily and this is the bike with the most sporting prentensions in the sportster line up. It is obvious the 883L is not meant to be ridden even at moderate lean angles, which leaves me wondering as to what the philosophy is here. Unsurprisingly, the Shadow walks away with the honors.

The only scenario that I can think of where this bike would be at home is on the freeways that are now being built such as the NH7 between Bangalore and Hyderabad. On most back roads and state highways it would be a handful and kill the fun factor. I agree, it is cheaper than before, but for that price what we need is a tourer than can do it all.
Old 27th December 2010, 23:58   #53
BHPian

Here is the correct review link for 2011 Superlow 883:

2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster SuperLow

Feels better, but would still have the cornering issues.
Old 28th December 2010, 00:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Saw the ad in the Autobild magazine. Bookings open from Jan 1st.

Initially, i was keen on the Superlow, but after looking at the Iron, now i am tempted for that one. Though my office is next to the showroom, have not gone there as yet. I work at UB City. Another friend of mine is also keen, will visit maybe this weekend
Old 28th December 2010, 00:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Saw the ad in the Autobild magazine. Bookings open from Jan 1st.

Initially, i was keen on the Superlow, but after looking at the Iron, now i am tempted for that one. Though my office is next to the showroom, have not gone there as yet. I work at UB City. Another friend of mine is also keen, will visit maybe this weekend
I had been to their showroom today. If you work in UB City, you should probably go on 3rd Jan. There might be some more models on display
Old 29th December 2010, 17:33   #56
BHPian

Called up the Mumbai dealership. The Sales consultant said, there are no bikes for display yet. They haven't worked out the financing details with ICICIBank (partnering with HD for financing their bikes in India). The booking amount is 50k. The bikes would make it to the showrooms in March-April time-frame.
Old 31st December 2010, 01:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
That is great. Will try to be there. was planning to go there on Saturday

Do you work at UB City?
Call them before going as they might be closed for new year...
Old 29th January 2011, 21:49   #58
BHPian

Guys what the news after that, is it going to be or not to be?
I am really freaking out here holding the booking amount, at the same time I am proud to be an Indian consumer, will never buy anything for the brand name unless it is value for money.
Old 30th January 2011, 01:42   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I am really freaking out here holding the booking amount, at the same time I am proud to be an Indian consumer, will never buy anything for the brand name unless it is value for money.

They going to start booking from the second week of Feb , that's the latest from HD showroom in Delhi..cant wait for it .. yeah proud indian consumer .. west used to mention it in the other way .. " we pay money for value"
Old 31st January 2011, 22:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Booking are in progress. Why are you still holding your amount? Go to Tusker showroom on Lavelle Road and speak to Zac or Srinivas. Which one are you planning to book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_DNA View Post
They going to start booking from the second week of Feb , that's the latest from HD showroom in Delhi..cant wait for it .. yeah proud indian consumer .. west used to mention it in the other way .. " we pay money for value"
Booking are open. 2nd week of Feb is mostly for test rides.

I have booked Iron 883

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks