Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So basically you are saying that the cost of the vehicle should be as per size?
In that case if a bolero costs more than a BMW M3, it is reasonable?
Size is one of the "major" factors for choosing a class of vehicle like a SUV which the OP wants, not all automobiles per se'. If SUV is what one wants, even Safari would be a choice. But, then comes refinement and budget of the OP. There he has better choices. My other factors against the company (Skoda) and in favour of Toyota have already been mentioned before.

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd June 2011 at 13:05.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Simply because of the 4wd + Haldex clutch, touchscreen audio system, steering mounted controls. There may be a couple of more features, but its less than the Laura L&K with almost the same features.
It is Rs. 1,60,000 cheaper than the L&K, presumably the difference being the Autobox; I still maintain that despite the 4WD and Haldex clutch, the car is still 1.5-2 lakhs more than it should be. But then I feel the same way about the L&K as well!!

Last edited by imp! : 23rd June 2011 at 15:09.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:22   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
It is Rs. 1,60,000 cheaper than the L&K, presumably the difference being the Autobox; I still maintain that despite the 4WD and Haldex clutch, the car is still 1.5-2 lakhs more than it should be. But then I feel the same way about the L&K as well!!
Well then what about the 320d? Its 5+ lacs more than the L&K and offers 40bhp more, and less room inside.

Every car is overpriced in India.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:36   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Well then what about the 320d? Its 5+ lacs more than the L&K and offers 40bhp more, and less room inside.

hi
please live in china you will find it more expensive than india
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:

Yup, I absolutely agree every car in the 10 L + segment is overpriced, however the Beamer offers a much better drive experience than the Laura, I can see myself shelling out that much more for it. I just can't come to terms with the Fortuner/Yeti/L&K pricing. The L&K pricing especially has allowed Skoda to really fleece us on their ambiente/elegance ATs which have almost a 2 lac premium for the DSG box.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Every car with some foreign component is overpriced in India if we compare prices with certain countries. Some more, some less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hmmm, interesting observations on the Yeti. I would have liked to see the Pros & Cons of the Fortuner too
Suman,

Fortuner pros and cons have been discussed to the death. What new insights are you looking for? I saw that you are undecided about your SUV - I think it will help you if you take 3 long test drives in each shortlisted vehicle.

@ Nitin: you should also look at (at least TD once) Outlander, Xtrail, and GV. Regarding fancy features e.g. rain sensing wipers, auto fogs etc. - you need to decide whether they matter to you. To me, they have very little weightage. My wishlist for the Fortuner include better ICE, a little better ride (without sacrificing capabilities), perhaps better brakes. But I have got completely used to the brakes now, in city as well as highway driving. Oh, and black leather seats and black trim instead of the grey/beige trim - I find black trim + black leather sexy.

FYI, in my recent trip, there is no other vehicle < 30L (maybe 40L?) I would have preferred, given the mix of fantastic highways + bad roads + no roads. But then again, I don't drive 80% in the city. If I did, I would have gone for a GV or Outlander.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 23rd June 2011 at 16:16.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Suman,

Fortuner pros and cons have been discussed to the death. What new insights are you looking for?
From his perspective only - given the pros & cons that he has perceived in the Yeti.
Quote:
But then again, I don't drive 80% in the city. If I did, I would have gone for a GV or Outlander.
And then there's that little bit about cost of Petrol vs Diesel as well.........

Last edited by suman : 23rd June 2011 at 16:12.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
From his perspective only - given the pros & cons that he has perceived in the Yeti.

And then there's that little bit about cost of Petrol vs Diesel as well.........
From my experience, Fortuner first impression is misleading. It grows on you after you live with it for a while or do multiple test drives.

Nitin didn't express strong preference for diesel/low fuel costs - or maybe he did, I might have missed that.
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding fancy features e.g. rain sensing wipers, auto fogs etc. - you need to decide whether they matter to you. To me, they have very little weightage. My wishlist for the Fortuner include better ICE, a little better ride (without sacrificing capabilities), perhaps better brakes. But I have got completely used to the brakes now, in city as well as highway driving. Oh, and black leather seats and black trim instead of the grey/beige trim - I find black trim + black leather sexy.
I completely agree except perhaps the black trims (that's a personal choice). I just love the beige/grey trims on my Corolla which are the same on Fortuner. The ICE upgrade with voice guided navigation is a much needed upgrade for the Fortuner (incidentally OE MMI system is now available for the Fortuner for around 40k with reverse camera, DVD, Bluetooth, Touchscreen and all bells and whistles thrown in; even the steering switches work perfectly with it) and perhaps powered seats aka the New Corolla thrown in. Rest, like rain sensing wiper's etc. does not matter to me at all when I see the other conquer-it-all capabilities of the Fortuner and its sheer size.
Old 24th June 2011, 07:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone!

Indeed this is my personal view of the Yeti, I wouldn't say its a bad choice, just the name Skoda sends a shiver down my spine, though the dealer promises those are history.

I would however appreciate a better engine tuning and a bit more ergonomic in design.

The fuel economy of the yeti is higher than the fortuner.

I have made my choice to move ahead with the Fortuner. The longevity of the vehicle would be much higher and so is the service quality.

There was a post regarding the face-lifted Fortuner, I did enquire this with the dealer and was informed they have not much idea on what its going to be but most likely cosmetic. There is an option to change the front grill so as to obtain the landcruiser look. This grill costs around 14K! I believe Toyota would be introducing the audio system with touch screen, as in the Corolla Altis.

regards,

Nitin
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 08:08   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Good choice! T Fort is a proven performer and you will no doubt enjoy many miles in it. Good luck with the 80% city driving though!
Old 24th June 2011, 08:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hi Noopster,

I've already test driven the Fortuner in the city and found it very comfortable and ergonomic, just like the Innova!

The only sad part is that Toyota seems to have high sales volume for the Fortuner such that there is no discount and a 'don't care' attitude from the showroom sales officials :(

regards,

Nitin
Old 24th June 2011, 08:55   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I have made my choice to move ahead with the Fortuner. The longevity of the vehicle would be much higher and so is the service quality.
Congratulations Nitin!! I had a feeling that the Fortuner will be your choice

What is the colour you have chosen, and when is the expected delivery? Looking forward to a detailed ownership report!

On a separate note, I am a bit perplexed by the purpose of this thread. If Skoda gives you shivers then your only other choice was the Fortuner. So was this really a ‘what car’ scenario?
Old 24th June 2011, 09:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

@vb-san: Wait Wait Wait... I'm in the process of foreclosing my existing lease, getting a proper quote from the dealer & booking. The delivery would take about 3 months. What I feel sad is that there is no discount. I would be opting for the grey color.

The reason for this post was to know the opinion from other members who are either using the Yeti or have experience. Keep in mind the Yeti is cost effective by about 500K and are giving a handsome discount and more feature rich!
Old 24th June 2011, 10:48   #75
Team-BHP Support

If you ask me, your total satisfaction will be much more with the Yeti, with the addition features and quality of the car totally. Coming from an Innova owner - the Fortuner just isn't worth the 10l more, I mean besides the looks and the more powerful engine, its got nothing more (most people won't use the 4wd). The interior does not seem like an upgrade over the Innova V and the ride is more bouncy. Take another td of the Yeti.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks