Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 17:58   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 or Santa Fe

Here's a thought. How about the Outlander? I know its not a diesel but its a brilliant car. Besides you might be able to get a good deal on it and if cost of running is the only reason you want a diesel then you might want to consider the capex savings as an offset to the higher running costs of the outlander.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:43   #17
BHPian

Hi Snowman:

Since you have mentioned two specific vehicles, I presume you have considered and rejected other "SUV type vehicles with a diesel powerplant" such as Captiva, Endeavour, Pajero and Fortuner.

As mentioned by others, it really boils down to your priorities. Let me share my views on some parameters I consider important:
Interiors
X1 is better. I agree with Suman that the interiors of Santa Fe are disappointing.

Performance
X1 has an edge as far as on road performance is concerned. Bad roads and off-roads is where Santa Fe will be better.

Ride and Handling
This is the easiest. X1.

Maintenance
Santa Fe

Comfort
X1

Space
Santa Fe

Safety
X1

X1

Quality of Build
X1

Cost of Ownership
Santa Fe

I have never understood why Hyundai cars above 7 lakhs have not met with any success. Be it Elantra, Sonata, Tuscon or Terracan. You may also wish to consider this before making your purchase decision.

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2011, 20:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
Here's a thought. How about the Outlander? I know its not a diesel but its a brilliant car. Besides you might be able to get a good deal on it and if cost of running is the only reason you want a diesel then you might want to consider the capex savings as an offset to the higher running costs of the outlander.
@Hkap; I think he said Diesel only; I believe Outlander is Petrol only, please correct if i'm mistaken.

Snowman - X1 is not an SUV and it does not have the road presence. SantaFe does have better Presence but less feel good factor. IMO SantaFe will be easier to maintain cost wise.

Why not Fortuner/Captiva, both will be in the same ball park.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Another option is the Audi Q3 which may come around diwali.
+1 on that from me. Since you have barely given any substantial requirements I would suggest you wait for this one. This might bring out an altogether new person in you, I mean the one with Quatro drive, simply awesome, personally I am a BMW man but Q3 is really making me think twice. Q3 will give you by far the most superior 4X4 experience, X1 is all about road dynamics. And if you are looking for space, just look elsewhere. In my opinion since you already have the Scorpio, you will not miss the space with your second SUV, in my words make it large (not space wise), get a true blue compact SUV for your money, If I were you I would wait for Q3 and even if the 4X4 costs a little more say 34L, I would still buy it.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would never call a BMW X1 a SUV. Santa Fe maybe, though I have not driven it. But being a Hyundai it should be a VFM package & light on the wallet for maintaining it.

If you are not in a rush look at the Q3. From what I have seen & heard it is a little better than the X1 !! Simply coz 3>1 !! LOL no but seriously I think the Q3 looks more in tune visually & otherwise compared to the X1..

Do look at the Santa Fe carefully - as many a Tucson owners have spent nothing but fuel & oil in like a 100k kms of running. Some did burn out the clutch though !!

Cheers
Old 9th August 2011, 21:41   #21
BHPian

Hey by the way anyone got any idea about the ground clearence of the X1?
Old 10th August 2011, 10:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishygk View Post
@Hkap; I think he said Diesel only; I believe Outlander is Petrol only, please correct if i'm mistaken.

Why not Fortuner/Captiva, both will be in the same ball park.
I'm aware that he said diesel only. Which is why I said in my post that I know that the outlander is not a diesel. Also if economy is the only reason to get a diesel then it might be a good idea to save money upfront on the outlander and then spend the saved money on petrol.
Old 10th August 2011, 14:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hey by the way anyone got any idea about the ground clearence of the X1?
193 mm
Old 10th August 2011, 15:41   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X1 or Hyundai Santa Fe

The diesel SUV scene is full of ironies; after the 10 lakh rupee Scorpio & Safari, there's nothing in between. It's a straight jump to 20+ lakhs, and even there, no SUV is perfect. The Fortuner (my favourite, but has a stiff ride, utilitarian interiors and no rear disc brakes), Pajero (old, outdated and under-powered), Endeavour (old, outdated and bone-jarring ride), X1 (a 3 series on stilts, weird stance, stiff ride, at best a 4 seater) and Captiva (weird ride & handling, massive lag for the city) have their own set of short-comings.

If you are looking at an "on-road" SUV, I suggest:

Captiva (facelift should be coming soon)
Pajero Sports (to be launched soon)
Audi Q3 (might be worth the wait)

If you are looking at a work-truck to replace the Scorpio, look no further than the Fortuner.
Old 10th August 2011, 16:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The diesel SUV scene is full of ironies; after the 10 lakh rupee Scorpio & Safari, there's nothing in between. It's a straight jump to 20+ lakhs, and even there, no SUV is perfect. The Fortuner (my favourite, but has a stiff ride, utilitarian interiors and no rear disc brakes), Pajero (old, outdated and under-powered), Endeavour (old, outdated and bone-jarring ride), X1 (a 3 series on stilts, weird stance, stiff ride, at best a 4 seater) and Captiva (weird ride & handling, massive lag for the city) have their own set of short-comings.

If you are looking at an "on-road" SUV, I suggest:

Captiva (facelift should be coming soon)
Pajero Sports (to be launched soon)
Audi Q3 (might be worth the wait)

If you are looking at a work-truck to replace the Scorpio, look no further than the Fortuner.
X-Trail and Yeti also need to be in the list
Old 15th August 2011, 21:12   #26
BHPian

First off - thanks for all the responses guys!

Lemme elaborate a bit more

I did initially look at the
Captiva
Endeavour
Fortuner
X-Trail
Yeti
Santa Fe
and the X1

However most of them fell badly short of what i was looking for

The Fortuner is a lovely looking car - however it falls very very short in terms of interior comfort and looks. its like an innova inside.

The Captiva - just didnt do it for me. In the sense sure it has a nice engine and its an ok piece of kit. But for some reason it just didnt excite me

The Endeavour - is just too old

The outlander - looks really i mean really good. but i only use diesel engines.

The X-trail - Again a nice bit of kit - but very unexciting. I mean atleast for me. 30 lakhs isnt a small amount and i want a smile on my face everytime i look at my car.

The yeti - Personal Opinion here - its UGLY!

That leaves the Santa Fe and the X1

I dont really go "offroading" or anything like that. i just prefer SUV type vehicles as roads are bad and a slightly higher Ground Clearance is always needed. Also should i ever need to go to my farm the car should be able to take me there. (not that im ever gonna drive it to my farm i have other vehicles for that)

The santa fe is a nice looking car. I have an Elantra and a Santro CNG so i know how good hyundai engines and how well made their cars are. They lack the THUD factor so many people go on about - but theyre very well made. The only thing i dont like about the Santa Fe is that its very expensive.... i mean this is a car thats worth about 12lakhs brand new abroad (approx) or even less.. so it kinda hurts me to plonk down close to 30 for it.

The X1 isnt a real SUV. i know that. However its really nice looking (especially in that brown colour) and hey.. its a bimmer.. whatever said and done Id be really happy looking out of my window and seeing a BMW standing in my car parking. However its only fits 4 to 5 people. and has a very harsh ride

Whichever car i do buy. I intend to keep for 5 years and easily do about 100k kms on.
Old 15th August 2011, 21:37   #27
Team-BHP Support

X1 will be far better than a Hyundai - have a look at any of there premium segment offerings including SUV , not just residuals are low spares & services will be a concern .

Quote:
Id be really happy looking out of my window and seeing a BMW standing in my car parking.
BMW will surely give a different feel to you as well your neighborhood !

Quote:
However its only fits 4 to 5 people
If you need to fit in more people and want a no nonsense large SUV - Fortuner is the best , you can easily ignore small complaints .
Old 17th August 2011, 11:03   #28
BANNED

I recommend the Santa Fe.

It is a Hyundai so it is affordable to maintain, easy on the long run and most importantly, more reliable than the Beemer, in Indian conditions.

It also has, IMO, 8 airbags and another big list of safety features compared to the X1 which is basically a cost cut vehicle.

Also, the Santa Fe has been hugely successful in the US and has won many accolades.

Unlike the X1 which is a miniature BMW, it is a full blown spacious vehicle which commands a decent amount of road presence.

Coming back to India, Hyundai has a wide service network, good technical know how and
Old 17th August 2011, 13:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It also has, IMO, 8 airbags and another big list of safety features compared to the X1 which is basically a cost cut vehicle.
The Santa Fe has 6 airbags, not 8 - the X1 has the same. Also, do go through the Santa Fe brochure & let me know which of the "Safety" options given there are missing on the X1 (maybe with the exception of the Rollover sensor but then the X1 doesn't topple )
Old 17th August 2011, 13:49   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
let me know which of the "Safety" options given there are missing on the X1 (maybe with the exception of the Rollover sensor but then the X1 doesn't topple )
You are right, it doesn't topple, since it is too low and too small to topple.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks