Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 21:51   #1
BHPian

BMW X1 or Hyundai Santa Fe

Hi all,

Its that time of the year again.. car buying time!

I'm getting rid of one of my scorpios. ( i have a manual and an auto)

Im torn between the X1 and the Santa Fe.

What do you guys think?

Also any other suggestions?

I only have one requirement - it has to be diesel.

Last edited by Snowman79 : 8th August 2011 at 21:53.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 or Santa Fe

Could you elaborate a little more on what you're looking for in the new acquisition? Basically the 2 vehicles you've selected are far different in characteristics!
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 23:57   #3
BHPian

Well I'd like a SUV type vehicle with a diesel powerplant. Thats really about it, and my budget is around 30 lakhs.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
Well I'd like a SUV type vehicle with a diesel powerplant. Thats really about it, and my budget is around 30 lakhs.
The X1 is NOT an SUV. I think you should drive the X1, if that does it for you then great. Otherwise the Sante Fe has better presence, a more powerful engine too, but the dynamics wont be as good. Another option is the Audi Q3 which may come around diwali.
Old 9th August 2011, 01:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

The X1 is NOT an SUV. I think you should drive the X1, if that does it for you then great. Otherwise the Sante Fe has better presence, a more powerful engine too, but the dynamics wont be as good. Another option is the Audi Q3 which may come around diwali.
+1. You need to drive the X1. It's just raised 3 series. Also it can't off road.
Santa Fe is bigger and being a Hyundai it will be economical, but it's sounds unrefined from outside, never been inside one.

Happy hunting.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:39   #6
BHPian

How about Fortuner and Captiva as both are due for upgrade in Jan 2012.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:23   #7
BHPian

Hi,
Really a interesting question and a difficult one to answer. My personal opinion is that the Santa Fe is being offered at a premium price since its imported as a CBU and attracts 113% of excise duty. So a major portion of the price goes to the government and later goes into the pockets of the corrupt politicos and beaurocrats.

In fact we need to discourage the companies having full fledged manufacturing facilities in India who still prefer to import CBUs and sell them at a very higher costs than what they actually should cost. However the X1 is brought in as CKD and assembled in India so you end up paying less taxes and more for the car.

Comparitively the X1 is better in terms of PTW ratio. The build quality and the feel good factor are better in the X1. However for offroading capablities the Santa Fe is a better option. However if you are concerned about the regular maintenance costs then surely go for the Santa Fe as its less expensive to maintain. Even the quality offerred by Hyundai is very good these days and its earlier CBUs such as the Tucson have proved to be good cars but for their price they did not succeed.

After all a Hyundai is a Hyundai and does not command the snob value of the BMW. So if you can afford to buy and maintain a BMW then go for it and why think about the Santa Fe if your requirement is not off roading.
patil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 11:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are just looking for a diesel and have no other expectation the X1 is the right choice baby. Brand and beauty. Well within 30 lacs.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

The X1 is not a SUV, BMW calls it a Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV). If your daily commute involves decent tarmac roads, go for it! The performance & road holding of the X1 is amazing. However, if you're thinking of going off tarmac on a regular basis, the X1 won't do it for you - not without being prepared to tear up those low profile tyres & damaging those gorgeous alloys

By the way, I did take a TD of a Santa Fe recently & was really disappointed with the interiors - the Wow! factor that I had expected just wasn't there. Its a capable machine I guess though for some reason they have a "On-demand 4x4" which makes it just another soft-roader.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Are you going to be doing any serious off-roading? If so, the X1 will be a silly choice to make and something like the Fortuner or even the Endeavor might begin to make more sense. I'm not sure the Santa Fe makes sense for the premium price it commands. That's even before one answers the question about its off-roading capabilities!

Personally, if you're going to spend serious money like that and you don't really need the off-roading capability, the X1 is a terrific choice. It has a bit of snob value and it's a refined car. It's no SUV though, so keep that in mind. I'm going to echo the sentiments of Akshay and sn1p3r and say you take a drive to see if you really like the car.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Suman; comfort wise Santa Fe gets an extra star right? And space? And service?
Old 9th August 2011, 12:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Suman; comfort wise Santa Fe gets an extra star right? And space? And service?
Space - Yes. Comfort - I didn't like the rear seat incline (not adjustable) & my knees were (surprisingly) pointing upwards, nowhere near as bad as the Endeavour but far worse than what I had expected.

Service - between the two, given the segment, I think the quality would be equal. I'm not sure if a Hyundai Service Center in a remote area would be equipped to tackle a Santa Fe. And the equipment levels are quite basic, nothing that fancy.

Last edited by suman : 9th August 2011 at 12:17.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:09   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Snowman, Please tell us more about your requirements, it will help the BHPians to suggest you a vehicle better suited to you.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is truly confusing as you just want a diesel suv, why? If you just want diesel because of economy but don't really need the extra space that the suv provides i guess within 30L there are far more comfortable diesel cars available.

I would recommend X1 if you are looking for that Oomph factor of a BMW, otherwise there are far more practical and Solid SUV's available with that kind of budget.

If its left to me i would advise Santa Fe or maybe a Fortuner as it offers much more space and is a more rugged SUV than the X1.
Old 9th August 2011, 15:35   #15
BHPian

i guess a x1 is more pleasurable to drive than the santa fe. so if u like to drive then go for the x1 and you wont mind the fairly stiff ride. if you are going to be driven around, then the santa fe is the better of the two.

you have not mentioned what you are expecting from your car, so that makes it kinda vague to give appropriate suggestions. like another member commented, lotsa diesel comfortable cars below 30l if you are sticking to tarmac.

happy hunting!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks