Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

By the way... will the Scorpio fit into your specified budget (8.5L ceiling)? I mean recently an acquaintance of mine picked up a base model scorpio and it costed him well over 8.5 OTR!
Old 3rd April 2006, 16:31   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Check out the Delhi Price ... http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/scorp.../BG_Price.aspx

I think DX will fit 8.5L easily....

I haven't gone out shopping yet.... but I think some discount is always there...

Well if finally the heart says scorpio... then... a few more grands won't stop us from buying it.
Old 3rd April 2006, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
I haven't gone out shopping yet.... but I think some discount is always there...
no. it is not available everytime.
you can haggle for a disount only when a product has been in market for sometime.
new scorpio has just hit the showrooms so no abnormal discount is available.
however, you can sure jerk off some bucks if you know the art of negotiations and knows several names in other dealerships near to the one where you are standing.
Old 3rd April 2006, 18:37   #19
BHPian

Why not consider Ford Fusion?
Old 3rd April 2006, 19:40   #20
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Why not consider Ford Fusion?
Seriously, a good.. suggestion!
never though of it!

Seems like a good fusion (car+SUV)... but.. have slight concerns about the fuel economy... when the car weighs.. 1100+kgs. With a "ford" 1.6L engine (not known to be the most efficient)

Any information on its FE?
Old 3rd April 2006, 19:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

The key words seem to be "bigger/better car", "4.5L to 8.5L", "daily running is about 40-60kms", "Ride & Comfort more imp than hardcore handling", "Performance- REQUIRED", "My preference would be the Baleno", "a family of 4", "nothing below 80-85bhp", "Fuel Economy is a concern", "As for now it’s going to be the Swift".

Going by your needs and with only 1 person in the car most of the time, I really do not think the Scorpio is a match. I am not sure how the new Scorpio is in ride comfort - have been on the previous version and in the city it is a real pain in the A**. The Swift sounds OK and so does the Baleno, but going by daily usage, IMO a diesel should be ideal. I have no idea about the diesel CRDIs from Hyundai - maybe members who know about these cars could shed some light on their suitability.
Old 3rd April 2006, 19:50   #22
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
IMHO, if your dad is in civil engineering field (like site development,etc) then Scorpio kind of tough looking vehicles are okay.
but if your dad is in some executive position (like a CEO, etc), then Scorpio kind of MUV doesnot gels properly with the personality of such a man.

and you being a young gun (!), can manage in any vehicle.
No, not in civil construction .
Self employed professional.

The work/dealing is not as sophisticated as a CEO....

and traveling is not from point A to point B.
His office is about 12kms away... so a round trip should be 24kms.. but the car travels 40-60kms.. that gives you some idea.

Last edited by SLK : 3rd April 2006 at 19:53.
Old 3rd April 2006, 20:37   #23
BHPian

Fusion should give you 12 km/L
Also I think t-bhpians mentioned here that one can get a good discound in Fusion nowadays!

see here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ghlight=fusion

Old 4th April 2006, 10:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
No, not in civil construction .
Self employed professional.

The work/dealing is not as sophisticated as a CEO....

and traveling is not from point A to point B.
His office is about 12kms away... so a round trip should be 24kms.. but the car travels 40-60kms.. that gives you some idea.
my sincere suggestion, go and test drive both Fiesta and Aveo, alongwith your family. with your priorities, i am sure, you'll not look again towards Swift and Baleno.
4.5-8.5Lakhs is a very good budget.

and your driving of 40-60 kms calls for petrol cars only. diesel needs to be run atleast 60-70 kms daily without fail, to give you something in return.

that's all with me, rest is upto you and your mood.
Old 15th April 2006, 13:00   #25
BHPian

Ford Fusion has an economy of only 7 - 9 kmpl. (Source Overdrive etc magazines) Which is quite low. At least Ford and Aveo's FE are better. FE cannot be completely ignored also.

For longer km per month, diesel Ford 1.4 is best.

For Looks wise Aveo has best glossy stylish looks, however its EuroNCAP rating for crash is quite low at 1.5 / 5 hence hgh risk for chest injuries.
Old 15th April 2006, 13:09   #26

Scorpio if You are considering MUV's & SUV's!
However a family sedan suits your needs.You should try the Aveo1.6 as well as the Fiesta1.6!
I prefer the Fiestas ride to the Aveos. Only the airbag option beats Fiesta.
The Elantra design is hated by quiet a lot. Else it is a good car.
Or the OCTY is always there accordig to your engine requirement.
Check the new cedia as well!!
Old 4th July 2006, 00:19   #27
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Its been a long time...
I was out of town.. so not much development on this front.

Firstly thanks for all the responses...

Now the second phase...

Scorpio seems to be out.... too much to handle... no actually the effort involved in driving that car was considerable.... to rule it out.

Yesterday test drove the AVEO 1.4 and 1.6.... and Baleno ... + my father drove the NHC.

Aveo 1.6 was effortlessly FAST... ... though the 1.4 wasn't bad.
BUT it can't be Aveo coz... I can't sit on the rear seat. My head is hard pressed against the roof!!!..
Though talking about the rear seat ... I can actually.. count the number of times I must have sat on my WagonR's rear seat in 5+ years.
Still... Aveo is out.... not paying 6++ lakhs for a car without rear seat.

Ahh.. now Baleno... drives well.... very good a/c ... good low seating....THATS IT.
After sitting in an AVEO baleno looked like a poor car... really poor. I somehow like the exterior look of that car.... but the interiors!... man.. I really had to think!... is the wagonR better?

Finally my father drove someone's NHC (same day)... and he's impressed. He has all reasons to be so...
Till now I am totally.. against that... .... man 77bhp... are you kidding me!!!

Though we have this going in mind...
A rarely used NHC... for same price as baleno... .. or a Baleno itself... (talking about Vxi's cost... about 6.5L)

Tell me guys.... shall I let the ultimate drive's car (in this segment at least) go by and lose to a 77bhp Honda! for the comfort of everyone at home!!! :(

Remember this is not my car.... its my father's... but,, I’ll get to drive it very often.. so I have my interest
Old 4th July 2006, 09:20   #28
BHPian

SLK,
felt gud to see that you found out all the pros and cons of almost all cars in your budget!
such a detailed verification is necessary these days!
your opinions about Scorpio and Baleno are echoed by everyone out of this forum.

Aveo is gud and so is Fiesta.
NHC with 77 bhp is gud considering sedate driving. but since you've enthu enough to rip it often, better go for VTEC one.
imho, NHC ZX VTEC is one complete family car, although a bit overpriced but thats the case with all honda cars!

Go for VTEC.
Old 4th July 2006, 09:46   #29
BHPian

I am bit surprised no one suggested the Fiat Adventure. Terrific value for money (~6.5L), VERY different, more than adequate power, good ride and handling, so-so mileage but the price difference will make up for that.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 4th July 2006, 13:47   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Scorpio seems to be out.... too much to handle... no actually the effort involved in driving that car was considerable.... to rule it out.
SLK, could you shed some more light on this. I too am looking to buy a SUV/MUV in a couple of months. From what I heard, it seemed like the Scorpio was easy to drive within the city especially when compared to the Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks