Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 08:29   #31
BHPian

Re: XUV-W8 OR Ford EcoSport ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav007_007 View Post

His need is city driving, mostly alone and sometimes with spouse and one kid. Once in a quarter he travels to distant places.. 500+ KM...
His monthly mileage is around 1500-1600 KM and primary need is Driving Pleasure...
(He is a Mechanical Engineer by education.. and a Software-Pro by profession and a wanna be Rally driver... )

Please advise...
  • Driving pleasure if fuel cost is not a concern (being petrol). Linea T-Jet. Period.
  • Diesel car needed - Vento.
  • Or go preowned - Honda Civic.
  • Stop fiddling with the cars on stilts.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 08:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(He is a Mechanical Engineer by education.. and a Software-Pro by profession and a wanna be Rally driver... )
If he has the wanna be instincts stay away from EcoSport.
He could try Vento TDI, a well balanced sedan.

Cheers!
Old 10th July 2013, 09:27   #33
Mik
BHPian

Wanna be rally driver eh!
Then i see only three options

1. Tjet
2. Ford Fiesta Classic
3. Figo D

But, if he has that SUV bent of mind then its best to keep the XUV since it will get heavily depreciated in todays market. Maybe he could check the going rate - might be a shocker to jolt him out of Ecosport dreams.
Old 10th July 2013, 09:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Looks like he is fascinated by the newest launches in the market. Why does he want to sell the XUV? What is that he doesn't like or isn't available in the big Mahindra? That will help decide what the next purchase should be like.

And like others say, he should definitely look at a sedan if likes to throw cars around corners
Old 10th July 2013, 09:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am worried if you are in the right direction. Selling a Wagon R and buying EcoSport makes more sense.

You should do it only if XUV is too bulkuy for your usage. Personally I feel its a trade off to swap your W8 with a Ecosport Diesel. Better get an inexpensive small car for a city use like a Nano or M800 or Micra Activ or Checy spark.
Old 10th July 2013, 10:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Going by what you've given as requirements and who the occupants of the car will be other than your brother, I'm inclined to recommend neither vehicles.

If your brother can wait, then the Fiat Punto Abarth edition that 'MAY' come will be a good option. Should come with great power and the handling is always brilliant in that car. Should satisfy his rally-styled driving desires. Also, manual transmission rules.

If he cannot wait, maybe the VW Polo 1.2 TSI Auto then. Both cars can seat 4 very comfortably.

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th July 2013 at 10:11. Reason: Correcting a grammatical error.
Old 10th July 2013, 11:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My brother is driving an XUV-W8 for last 1.5 years and is looking for alternate options..

Is it advisable idea to replace it by Ford EcoSport diesel top variant.

His need is city driving, mostly alone and sometimes with spouse and one kid. Once in a quarter he travels to distant places.. 500+ KM...
His monthly mileage is around 1500-1600 KM and primary need is Driving Pleasure...

Please advise...
What are his core requirements where the XUV disappoints and Ecosport is going to be good? Or is it just a impulsive urge to upgrade to the latest craze in the market?

Practically thinking, this will turn out to be a bad decision. All the cars depreciate the most in the initial few years, so by now XUV has already depreciated a good amount. It does not make sense to me to sell a XUV for as much for a price of Ecosport and buy a car from lower segment (Unless one has some major concerns from the XUV!)

Quote:
Does he intend to use this new Ecosport to polish his rally skills . If he wants to be rally driver, ask him to join a good rally school and practice his skills off the public roads.

If driving pleasure in a purer form is what he is seeking, ask him to buy some FTD Sedan/Hatchback like Linea T-Jet, Laura TSI, Cedia, Fiesta...

In terms of handling and driving involvement XUV is no boat. For a desi SUV it is fun to drive, it dives into the corners(though has prominent understeer) with lots of enthusiasm and handling balance is really safe and predictable for such a high vehicle.

It also has lots of scope for further tuning/modification. Take cues from Super XUV, you will know what i am talking about.

Check out this:
http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...super-xuv.aspx

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th July 2013 at 11:43.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 16:10   #38
BHPian

Upgrading to XUV from a Scropio M-Hawk

I looked at some existing thread but didn't see anything that catered to my need. I've been eying this 'kitten' for a while now. I currently own and drive a 2009 December Scorpio. He's been an absolute pleasure to drive. No issues whatsoever. Some people think I'm crazy to let him go. He hasn't driven too much - just 35 K in almost 4 years. I have a buyer who's willing to 'adopt' him for 8.5 lakhs. I did some research to see what I'm getting for another 7 lakhs. And here's the list
  • Projector Headlamps plus cornering
  • Flat foldable 2nd and 3rd row and last row can be split
  • Much better leg room in second room
  • Higher max speeds
  • ESP and EBD
  • Integrated Head Unit with Maps
  • All 4 Disk Brakes (Biggie)
  • Better mileage
  • Better handling
  • Climate Control
  • Hill Descent and Hold
  • Conversation Mirror
  • 6 speed gearbox
  • 6 Airbags (front side and curtain)
  • Remote tail gate opening
  • Flip key
  • Mobile charging points in all 3 rows
  • 6 way adjustable driver seat
  • Telescopic Steering
  • Folding rear view mirrors
  • Paw door handles (makes a big difference to kids)
So, does it add up to 7 lakhs? Hmmm... I don't think so. (I started a different thread so that it is easier for those who are in my particular situation to make a decision.) So did I miss anything in the comparison, do let me know? I've left out all features that are already present on the MHawk.)
I did some ground work the T-Fort as well as I can stretch the budget. But at the end of the day, our kitty is hands-down more VFM.
So will I buy? Hell yes... I wouldn't be on TBHP if the answer was a no
More proof? I haven't even test driven this brute as yet!

Note from Moderator: Post moved to existing thread. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th July 2013 at 17:57. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 18:09   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Scorpio vs...

^ More than the features and gizmos you have listed the real upgrade lies under the skin, the real improvement comes in almost every aspect, like Ride, Handling, Seating, Ergonomics...

In comparison the Scorpio feels atleast a decade old, the upright seating, the utilization of space, the Suspension setup with unsorted Ride and Handling.. it all comes with major compromises at this point of time. They do not sell it cheap either. The only saving grace is proper 4wd system and ability to take on more abuse(mainly due to chassis based construction).

Please read our official review on XUV-500, it was penned down by Manson who owned a Scorpio at that point of time, that report thoroughly covers the point.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 08:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^ More than the features and gizmos you have listed the real upgrade lies under the skin, the real improvement comes in almost every aspect, like Ride, Handling, Seating, Ergonomics...

In comparison the Scorpio feels atleast a decade old, the upright seating, the utilization of space, the Suspension setup with unsorted Ride and Handling.. it all comes with major compromises at this point of time. They do not sell it cheap either. The only saving grace is proper 4wd system and ability to take on more abuse(mainly due to chassis based construction).

Please read our official review on XUV-500, it was penned down by Manson who owned a Scorpio at that point of time, that report thoroughly covers the point.
Guys, this thread was very useful for me as I am considering moving to either a 2014 Scorpio, which has just come out, or an XUV. Test drove both yesterday, and I have to say that while the Scorpio came across as sturdy but uncomfortable, the XUV really surprised me with the middle row comfort and the tractability of its engine in traffic.

I had almost made up my mind to go for the XUV when I saw on the motorbeam website that a facelift is due for the XUV is due March 2015. That has put my buying decision in limbo. Does anyone know if this is true? Showroom is vehemently denying any facelift next year. Said that an automatic will be launched but that's it.

Price wise, I'm looking at 13.2 L OTR for the Scorpio S10 2WD, 13.3 OTR for the XUV W6, and 15.2 OTR for the XUV W8. I need to take a call as all 3 vehicles are currently available with the dealer.

I would have gone for the AWD/4x4 versions just for the added advantage but nothing's available currently.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 6th November 2014, 09:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock View Post
Price wise, I'm looking at 13.2 L OTR for the Scorpio S10 2WD, 13.3 OTR for the XUV W6, and 15.2 OTR for the XUV W8. I need to take a call as all 3 vehicles are currently available with the dealer.
Get the W6, you won't regret it. Apart from the butch SUV looks, the XUV trumps the Scorpio in everything else - ride, handling, comfort, leg space - you name it. Plus you get a little more premium treatment at the ASCs.

As for the facelift, no one knows when & if it will happen. So as the cliche goes, a bird in the hand etc etc.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Get the W6, you won't regret it. Apart from the butch SUV looks, the XUV trumps the Scorpio in everything else - ride, handling, comfort, leg space - you name it. Plus you get a little more premium treatment at the ASCs.

As for the facelift, no one knows when & if it will happen. So as the cliche goes, a bird in the hand etc etc.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks for the input, Vikram..

The vehicle will be used extensively by my wife who is concerned about the dimensions of the XUV and the ease of use in cramped streets. For example, we took the TD vehicle to another house we have in the city. There are a lot of vehicles parked on the street there, leaving a clear passage of about 10-12 feet. I had to go back and forth 3 times until we managed to get it through the gate . A fact not greatly appreciated by the car waiting to pass me, I'm sure.
Old 6th November 2014, 12:50   #43
BHPian

Hey SUV's are supposed to be big and space consuming. However if that's your main criterion then opt for hatch ( New ALto K10 can be an option). Coming back to topic, take the W6 as Vikram has suggested. Negotiating through apparently impossible places will be lot lesser sweat producing in the XUV W6, and less heavy on your wallet. How do I say this? I own one that's why.

Btw: If you ever want to check on the validity of my statement "apparently impossible......" 6 months down the line once you are comfortable, take the car to Bhagalpur during peak traffic hour and try to cross the town.

Those who have experience, must be having goosebumps.

Enjoy!

Regards
Sid
Old 9th November 2014, 14:08   #44
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock View Post

I had almost made up my mind to go for the XUV when I saw on the motorbeam website that a facelift is due for the XUV is due March 2015
I think the showroom guys maybe right. An AT and a petrol engine is expected. They may just add a few more variants of the car. I just think it's a midlife facelift and not a new generation. So go for the XUV 500 now.

Quote:
Surely the XUV 500 W6 is more VFM than the scorpio. The XUV 500 is a great car and ages ahead of the scorpio.

About the variant, it's upto you. Choose the best one considering the features and your budget.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 16:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Hey SUV's are supposed to be big and space consuming. However if that's your main criterion then opt for hatch ( New ALto K10 can be an option). Coming back to topic, take the W6 as Vikram has suggested. Negotiating through apparently impossible places will be lot lesser sweat producing in the XUV W6, and less heavy on your wallet. How do I say this? I own one that's why.

Btw: If you ever want to check on the validity of my statement "apparently impossible......" 6 months down the line once you are comfortable, take the car to Bhagalpur during peak traffic hour and try to cross the town.
Excellent advice. I'll definitely go for the Alto K10.

Coming back to topic, picked up a W8 yesterday as the W6 has quite a few things missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I think the showroom guys maybe right. An AT and a petrol engine is expected. They may just add a few more variants of the car. I just think it's a midlife facelift and not a new generation. So go for the XUV 500 now.

Surely the XUV 500 W6 is more VFM than the scorpio. The XUV 500 is a great car and ages ahead of the scorpio.

About the variant, it's upto you. Choose the best one considering the features and your budget.
Thanks D4D. I went for the W8 as I mentioned above. My wife's concern was addressed by adding the reversing camera, and she seems to be happy with it for now. Let's see how the ownership experience goes!

Thanks for your input!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks