Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 15:25   #1

Mahindra XUV500 vs Scorpio vs...

HI Friends,

I am contemplating between XUV500 W6 vs. Scorpio SLE. Not sure which one to go for.

On one hand I am tempted to go for XUV since its a new product and amazing looks but the niggles are somewhat discouraging.

On the other hand Scorpio is a reliable product but is an old product with pretty average interiors and is due for an upgrade in 2014 as per the rumours.

The purpose of driving would be mainly city commuting ( office back and forth) and around 4 times outside Delhi for excursion.

Would appreciate if any help is on the way to reach a decision

cheers
Amit
Old 20th December 2012, 15:55   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Scorpio vs...

Hi Amit,

I have gone thru the same problem. Having booked an SLE, and then opting out and buying a XUV500.

The reasons :

a) The engine is in a better state of tune, hence power and torque is better.
b) overall drive is like a sedan ( having primarily driven a baleno & esteem the FWD was familiar).
c) Definitely better handling ( cornering, body roll etc etc).
d) Overall more appealing than the Scorp.
e) Since I was very skeptical about the electronics & M&M ( I still am), I went for the W6.
f) Its undoubtedly a great highway cruiser.

Having said that I would say inherrently a Scorpio is a much sturdier vehicle and came take on abuses in a much better way.

But going by your requirements I think you can safely opt for the XUV5oo. Whatever you end up buying, wish you many miles of hastle free rides

Regards
Sid
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 16:13   #3
BHPian

If it is between the Scorp and the XUV, it should be the XUV! The scorp now looks dated with unwanted height! The Duster is worth looking too. The underpinnings are robust and the engine is extremely reliable and efficient. Looks decent and the Interior quality is better than the scorp. The 85ps Option pack should fit your requirements.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 16:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Amit, What exactly are you looking for?

Compared to the chassis based Scorpio the monocoque type XUV is has better Ride, Handling and Stability for Road usage, but Scorpio is more rugged.

Another area where XUV is ages ahead is seating, the seats(front and second row) are much more comfortable and cabin has more usable space, compared to it the Scorpio's more upright seating is less flexible and quality of support is not as good.

Performance wise Scorpio gets a detuned 120hp version of the same mhawk engine as the XUV. Performance is good in both these SUVs, XUV with taller gearing and one extra cog feels less stressed on Highway speeds.

For offroading and abuse, Scorpio with the chassis based design and better ground clearance is better. It can also be bought in 4x4 spec, which has proper offroading hardware with low range.

Duster is another option you might like to consider.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 16:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Scorpio with the chassis based design and better ground clearance is better.
Hi Anshuman, just curious. I think the GC of Scorpio is 180 against 200 for XUV. Won't XUV be better in that respect?

Amit, as Anshuman rightly says above, XUV for more on-road and Scorpio for more off-road. However, for mostly city driving and occasional excursions (not off-road) XUV is much much better than Scorpio on ride, handling, comfort. Its a highway cruiser.

One prominent aspect of XUV is the braking. This is a vast improvement over Scorpio and helps a lot in controlling the vehicle even at very high speeds. This was one prime aspect alongwith the others as said above when we bought XUV for my friend.

Additionally, the cornering ability of XUV is way better than Scorpio for highway driving, not having to slow down at corners.

Also, speeds north of 120 right upto 160-170 are just a piece of cake for XUV which would be difficult in Scorpio. Ofcourse, do not intend to promote such high speeds but in case needed, it has the capability without giving a hint that it is doing those speeds.

Last edited by parsh : 20th December 2012 at 16:35.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:12   #6
BHPian

IF "The purpose of driving would be mainly city commuting ( office back and forth) and around 4 times outside Delhi for excursion."
You'll be satisfied a Scorpio but very delighted using XUV. Minor niggles can be ignored as the product is very competitively priced.
Scorpio in itself is a very good vehicle but your needs call for XUV.

Last edited by bijuiser : 20th December 2012 at 17:14.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Hi Anshuman, just curious. I think the GC of Scorpio is 180 against 200 for XUV. Won't XUV be better in that respect?
That's just a paper spec, just have a look at the underbody and you'll know what i am talking about.
Old 20th December 2012, 18:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amit, What exactly are you looking for?

Compared to the chassis based Scorpio the monocoque type XUV is has better Ride, Handling and Stability for Road usage, but Scorpio is more rugged.

Another area where XUV is ages ahead is seating, the seats(front and second row) are much more comfortable and cabin has more usable space, compared to it the Scorpio's more upright seating is less flexible and quality of support is not as good.

Performance wise Scorpio gets a detuned 120hp version of the same mhawk engine as the XUV. Performance is good in both these SUVs, XUV with taller gearing and one extra cog feels less stressed on Highway speeds.

For offroading and abuse, Scorpio with the chassis based design and better ground clearance is better. It can also be bought in 4x4 spec, which has proper offroading hardware with low range.

Duster is another option you might like to consider.
Anshuman,

I am also in a similar dilemma. Could you please help me in evalating two more contendors in the critique above - the ertiga and innova.

If you could just rate all 4 (XUV, Scorp, Innova and Ertiga) in order for performance, ruggedness/abuse tolerance, comfort and perfromance

Would really appreciate your help
Old 20th December 2012, 19:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's just a paper spec, just have a look at the underbody and you'll know what i am talking about.
Frankly, I came to think of XUV's GC to be much similar to Innova's inspite of it being specified to be 200mm but yet to find appropriate GC diagram for XUV which would confirm some practical things.

For e.g. Innova's GC is practically spec'ed/rated as below:

Mahindra XUV500 vs Scorpio vs...-toyota-innova-features-high-gc.jpg
Old 20th December 2012, 19:53   #10
BHPian

With the Ecosport's launch so close, why not wait for that as well. As per today's reports, Jan end OR early Feb is when it will be launched here. Only, if you can wait!

http://www.gaadi.com/blog/exclusive-...d-aggressively

I would suggest the XUV5OO solely for it's good looks and for it being luxurious/ comfortable as compared to the Scorpio.

Also the Duster but, that when compared to the XUV5OO looks too spartan though, i would not want to shadow it's positives. No prices for guessing, why it's selling like hot cakes in the market.

Last edited by MetalBuff : 20th December 2012 at 19:57.
Old 20th December 2012, 20:10   #11
BHPian

If it has to be between the two Mahindras, I'd say go with the XUV solely for it's clutter-breaking good looks and equipment list over the Scorpio. The Scorpio looks a bit jaded compared to her more with-it younger cousin, no?

Also, I think the Duster and Ford's soon-to-be-launched Ecosport should also be on your consideration set. The Duster is already a well-established product here and if international reports are anything to go by, the Ecosport will also tick most (if not all) boxes for you. Something tells me this Ford's compact offering will be a real FTD car. Provided you are willing to bide your time, of course!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 20th December 2012 at 20:17.
Old 20th December 2012, 20:23   #12
BHPian

I have been driving a Scorpio a lot recently. All I would say is, for everyday city use, the Scorpio will not be comfortable at all. The suspension is very bumpy and jerky. I do not like it at all. If you have an option to go for the XUV, don't think. In general I am very dissatisfied with the Scorpio for the comfort.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 20:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Anshuman,

I am also in a similar dilemma. Could you please help me in evalating two more contendors in the critique above - the ertiga and innova.

If you could just rate all 4 (XUV, Scorp, Innova and Ertiga) in order for performance, ruggedness/abuse tolerance, comfort and perfromance

It is unfair to compare all of these UVs directly as all 4 of them have different body type. Scorpio is good old Chassis based SUV with solid rear axle and long suspension travel, XUV again is a SUV but not as Macho being a monocoque with Independent suspension, Innova is a MUV but carries on with old rugged chassis type construction but with quite well calibrated stiff springs and Ertiga looks like a UV but under the skin it is a stretched hatchback.

Performance- XUV>Ertiga>Scorpio>Innova

The XUV with mhawk 140 engine has wide spread of torque and good choice of 6 ratios, making it a good balance for city and highway driving, at speed it is quite relaxed. The engine pulls well almost all throughout the rev range with good amount of pep.

Ertiga has just 90hp and still second in this comparison? Yes, because it is based on lighter car platform, it weighs much less than the other UVs compared here. Turbo lag is bad, it struggles in the low end when loaded, midrange and top end quite peppy though.

Scorpio has the same engine as the XUV in a lower state of tune, the gearing is shorter to compensate for lower grunt and higher weight. This engine never fails to impress but in this state of tune it isn't as free revving and eager as XUV. Low and Midrange has good amount of grunt. My only concern with Scorpio's performance is the short gearing which begs for a sixth gear, hopefully at the time of refresh it might get the six speed 'box from XUV.

Innova does not much for us enthusiasts when it comes to performance, the engine does not love to be revved, it sounds crudest here and good amount of vibrations and noise filter into the cabin. But the power delivery is linear and there virtually no turbo lag, it starts pulling right from 1200rpm whith whatever torque it makes. Gearing just like the Scorpio is short and it gets pretty loud beyond 100kph. Innova is all about longevity, low maintenance costs, reliability... this thing is made to last forever.

Ruggedness- Scorpio>Innova>XUV>Ertiga

Scorpio is based on a chassis on a ladder frame type platform, which might not help it with dynamics but surely gives it ruggedness of a truck with huge GC and long suspension travel.

Innova again is based on chassis on ladder frame type platform, but compared to Scorpio it has much lower suspension travel with much stiffer springs which are tuned for on road dynamics, not a match to the proper SUVs but this thing is pretty tough.

XUV is a true crossover, with monocoque chassis and stiffer springs it is more about on road dynamics than off roading ability. Even the springs have lower travel range and they are stiffer. Even actual usable ground clearance is much lower than the Scorpio. The AWD system(in W8 AWD) even with all those electronics is not a match to the old world full blown 4X4 system with low range and rear solid axle.

Ertiga might not take abuse as well as the other UVs here, look at it as a stretched Hatchback with necessary reinforcements thrown in but end of the day the GC is low, suspension travel is limited and underbody is isn't as tough.

FE- Ertiga>XUV>Innova=Scorpio

It's mainly all about weight here.

Ride Comfort- Ertiga>Innova=XUV>Scorpio

Ertiga has the flattest car like ride on good roads, just because under that UV(or LUV) disguise it actually is a stretched hatchback. On the bad roads it isnt anywhere close to the other UVs here.

Innova with stiff springs and lower suspension travel(compared to SUVs) has the ride sorted really well for a chassis type vehicle and even handling for this body type is really nice. Even at speed the ride stays pretty composed.

XUV being a crossover should have been at the top of this list but i feel with some tweaking XUV has a lot of scope for improvement. Though nothing much to complain about, overall ride is very composed and flat especially on good sections.

Scorpio with the looong suspension travel and soft springs can often eat really deep potholes and quite tall humps, this is where the appreciation ends, most of the other times it stays bouncy and rocks like a boat, the aggressively setup dampers make it a very unpleasant experience for 2nd and 3rd rows. The top heavy feel requires some getting used to for sedan/hatchback drivers.

Seating- Innova=XUV>Ertiga>Scorpio

Innova gets my first spot because of the flexible seating and it has optional captain seats(bucket seats for second row). The last of seats can be individually folded. Overall shape and support of seats is very good. I love the fact that all rows in both seating configurations can be reclined, a big advantage for long journeys.

In XUV i love the cushioning and back support in first and second rows, the seats feel so much like sofas, very much Euro car like. Second row of seats recline as well.

Ertiga has impressive front seats, very similar to super comfy seats in Dzire. Middle row is also good but reclining option but with last folded flat the middle row stays too upright which i feel is uncomfortable.

Overall seating in Scorpio is too upright and to make matters worse the seats are placed too close to the doors(quite surprising since there is good amount of free space between the seats. Padding and support is just about okay, nothing special to write here. The captain seats option is a lot better than the bench option but this is only available in top of the line VLX variant.

PS: I have not traveled on last row of seats in most of these UVs, so no direct comparisons.

Hope it helps
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 21:07   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Anshuman,

Let me try:

On road Performance: XUV>Scorp>Innova>Ertiga though the Ertiga and the Innova are quite close to each other unless fully loaded.

Off Road Performance: Scorp 4WD>XUV>Ertiga>Innova.

Abuse Tolerance: Scorpio = Innova >XUV = Ertiga. Scorpios and Innovas are very tough. If you want a clear winner, it will be the Scorpio due to its underpinnings.

Comfort: Innova> XUV> Ertiga> Scorpio.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 21:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
[u]

Performance- XUV>Ertiga>Scorpio>Innova

The XUV with mhawk 140 engine has wide spread of torque and good choice of 6 ratios, making it a good balance for city and highway driving, at speed it is quite relaxed. The engine pulls well almost all throughout the rev range with good amount of pep.

I can definitely vouch for thee xuv performance. The turbo kicks in early and really really kicks in. The pick up is unbelievable. In traffic it handles like a sedan and you dont feel tired even after spending a good hour in peak traffic. The lumbar support for the front row is awesome.

On the highway it is a great cruiser. The 6th gear is great for both mileage and cruising at constant speed.

Overall it ticks most boxes of comfort and performance.

Most Viewed