Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 15:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

What should replace an Innova?

Have this question from quite some time now since our Innova is getting old. Well getting old old on paper. Let me share some details of the vehicle and requirement.

Vehicle: Innova G
Model: 2008
KM's in Odo: close to 1.2lacs.
Issues: Nothing really. However lack of safety features is a concern.

What Innova does for us:
1. Mode of transport when there are more than 5 people travelling.
2. Transport agricultural goods from our farm. Its a muddy road to the farm and does get slushy during monsoon. Innova has Flat bed rear, and has ability to carry 700-800 Kilos of goods!. Cant afford to keep goods on top of folded seats.
3. Mode of transport to places which dont have proper tar road.

Why I like in Innova:

1. Trouble free. The engine still feels new.
2. Superbly spacious,comfortable ride.
3. Decent FE, can much miles after miles. Stable at 3 digit speeds.
4.T Badge.

What is expected from replacement car:
1. Should perform all the above without compromise.
2. Should have ABS and dual airbags. Any additional kits are most welcome.
3. 4X4 is not a necessity, but good GC is a big plus. Preferably ladder on frame chassis.
4. Good resale value.
5.Prefer the car not to have fancy electronics.Manual and reliable stuff should be more than sufficient.
6. Reliability is a major requirement.
7. Should not compromise on comfort and space.
8. Price preferably to south of 20lac mark, but dont mind stretching a bit.

Consideration as of today:

New Innova
Pros:
1. Meets all requirements.
Cons:
1. Nothing significantly different from current one.
2. Not worth investing on close to 10 year old model.

Fortuner
Pros:
1. Meets most of the requirement.
2. Butch presence.
3. Will be a good upgrade.
Cons:
1. Bumpy ride is an absolute no.
2. FE is towards the south of 10KM/l.
3. Bigger than Innova.

Pajero Sport
Pros:
1.Does most of the things which Fortuner does.
Cons:
1.Availability of parts is a concern besides resale value.
2. FE is again not that great.

Currently only car which seem to be suiting the requirement is the All New Innova which is planned to be launched in 2016. But would definitely be happy to know more on this from folks in here if at all there are any other options that I can consider which meets the requirement.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: What should replace an Innova?

Ideally, you ought to wait for the new Innova. You can also consider the new (slightly updated) Aria. The old one was fine but there were several reports of poor reliability. Tata now offers a big warranty on the car, clutch, belts etc. so that ought to be a testament to how well they might have sorted out issues. You could also check out the new Mahindra Scorpio which isn't just a facelift but an all new car with a new, stiffer, more safe construction and reports say it has better ride quality now

If not, go for the Paj Sport. Sure sourcing parts might be an issue, but it is just as reliable as every other Japanese marquee and so I doubt anything major will pop up.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th September 2014 at 16:19.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:04   #3
BHPian

If you want a perfect replacement, answer is pretty simple and straight forward - Another Innova. One major reason is that occupant travel comfort might be compromised in the other 2 alternatives compared to that of Innova. It also fulfills almost all other requirements listed too, better than the other 2.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:09   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2014 at 14:46. Reason: Added text
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2014, 16:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Actually Fortuner ticks most of the boxes, except for the bumpy ride which works against it.The 2.5L Fortuner which is due for launch very soon seems a good option had Toyota given one with better ride quality.

The Aria on paper looks good but still i am not able to build confidence on this product, particularly when I travel midnight in ghat sections.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

You have not mentioned the reason for selling your car !! AS of today only an Innova can replace an Innova.

Innova is built to last isnt it ? 1.2 L kms is nothing. Also your car is just 6 years old. I feel you can safely stretch it till 2016 and get yourself a shiny new Innova which is going to be modern and next generation.

I doubt the resale of Innova will dip so much anyway.
rajshenoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

Currently only car which seem to be suiting the requirement is the All New Innova which is planned to be launched in 2016. But would definitely be happy to know more on this from folks in here if at all there are any other options that I can consider which meets the requirement.
I have no doubt in recommending another Innova to replace the current one. It is the best possible option for your described usage.

The good part is that your current steed will easily do duty for another couple of years. Hang on to it until then and replace it with the all new Innova (you're right no point replacing it now with a model that is 10 years old). It is no doubt pricey but then you know it will do duty as long as you require it to. Can easily be kept for 7-8 years as well.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
You have not mentioned the reason for selling your car !! AS of today only an Innova can replace an Innova.

Innova is built to last isnt it ? 1.2 L kms is nothing. Also your car is just 6 years old. I feel you can safely stretch it till 2016 and get yourself a shiny new Innova which is going to be modern and next generation.

I doubt the resale of Innova will dip so much anyway.
The main reason for sale is lack of safety feature and fear of losing good resale value which i would be getting now. The car is getting quotes close to 8 lacs as of today!!
Old 30th September 2014, 17:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main reason for sale is lack of safety feature and fear of losing good resale value which i would be getting now. The car is getting quotes close to 8 lacs as of today!!
Hmmm. Classic resale value problem then.

Think of you selling it and buying another car now !! What will be the resale of that ? all cars above 10 lakh depreciate super fast(Even if you buy another innova now, when next gen comes out, it too will depreciate for sure. We are not living in Qualis era anymore)

So If you are worried about resale now, i am sure the same worry will hit you after another 5-6 years
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 17:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Keep your old car.

Check the resale value of a 6 year old and 8 year old Innova G here: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/used-car-price-check/

The difference between both values is not that HUGE. Even if you sell in 2016, am sure you will get 5-6L or so easily. If you put the money (which you'd have spent on a new vehicle right now) in a good mutual fund, you can recover the difference in the resale amount.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th September 2014 at 17:15.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 17:25   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
What should replace an Innova?

If your point about 5+ passengers wasn't important then the Safari Storme is probably the best SUV under 20 lakhs. It has a good GC, is comfortable and will give you decent FE too. So if you are fine with a car having 5 usable seats and a big boot then the storme should be a strong contender.

If not the safari then the Aria is a good upgrade. The new aria is good and TATA's support has become better. But if you really want an 'upgrade' then it has to be the Pajero Sport. The car is comfortable, handles well, can seat 5+ passengers and has decent FE. I don't know your source of information about Pajero Sports FE but all the Pajero owners I know get 10+ km/l. About spares and service check with existing Mitsubishi customers in your circle about the nearest dealer and his services. If found good then the Pajero Sport should be a real good upgrade.

Lastly avoid the Fortuner. The ride is too bumpy especially in the middle and last row. Considering the fact that you are upgrading from an innova, Fortuner really won't be an upgrade.

Slightly OT- The New Scorpio is out. Do check it out. As reports suggest M&M has tweaked the suspension to improve the ride quality.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 30th September 2014 at 17:27.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 17:43   #12
BHPian

There is really no contest here . If you want an innova replacement , it has to be only the innova. Ertigas do not even come close to the amount of load and abuse Innova can take . A loaded Ertiga with lots of luggage bottoms out on bad roads , and frankly does not even have the torque / pulling ability.

I have sat in a fortuner a couple of times and didnt enjoy the ride as much as Innova .

I would go upto the extent of saying that most people who have a need for an Innova kind of vehicle if they buy something else they will repent and would wish they had bought it in the first place.
Note that i own neither of the cars above but everyone has extensively used Innovas as transport vehicles .

Whether or not the new Innova would be substantially better or not than current is not known , But seeing toyota prices it will definately be substantially more expensive than current one . See the New Altis . A top end costs close to 20 Lacs now .
If your car is doing ok , keep it . If you have to buy an immediate replacement, buy another innova.
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 18:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

After the recent updates, the Tata Aria seems to be quite a reliable offering. IMO you should seriously consider it, it's quite under-rated for the car that it is.

The 200mm GC with 150PS & 320nm of raw power is quite impressive, also IIRC it scores much better than Innova on safety. The rear bench folds flat. They've managed a low floor board for easy ingress and egress.

Resale : I don't think the Innova would command any decent resale after 5-7yrs, by then it'd be an old out-dated model, also it's really underpowered with just 100bhp of power.

Even in terms of Mileage, the new Aria claims a figure of 15kmpl, I don't think Innova crosses 13kmpl.

Insulation, compared to the Innova, is a class apart in the Aria. The top end comes with a Harman Kardon music system. It also comes with 6 airbags, ABS, EBD & TCS.

They've recently cut the price and AFAIK the top end 4x4 version is offered at ~15l in Bangalore.

Anyway, you may choose any car you like, but do give the Aria a fair chance.
Rgds.

P.S.: I guess this thread should be moved to the 'What Car' section.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 30th September 2014 at 18:16. Reason: *by then*
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 19:13   #14
BHPian

Why not have a separate vehicle for the farm duties; Isuzu D-Max? A powerhouse with comfort & more.

And then moving to a 5 person mover you have many choices, be it a Hatch/Sedan/SUV suiting you usage pattern.

If not the Isuzu MU 7 can also be looked at as a two in one but might take you a bit north of 20L

Cheers
HZS
HuseinZS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 06:49   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Simple answer - there is absolutely nothing in the Indian market at the moment which can replace an Innova, except for another Innova.
They've got that end of the market sewn up so tight that nothing and no one, no matter what they may try, can get close.
A friend/acquaintance/colleague of mine recently went through the same conundrum when looking for a replacement for his 8-9 year old Innova.
He did a bit of hunting about and in just a matter of three days of thinking, made up his mind and went and bought himself a brand new Innova as a replacement. Nothing else comes close.
The Ertiga, Xylo, Aria and Mobilio are not at all to be even considered as potential replacements. They just won't make it past the door in my considered opinion! The Fortuner is a great vehicle by itself but it is dreadfully uncomfortable in the middle row and most certainly does not come close to the comfort delivered by an Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
There is really no contest here . If you want an innova replacement , it has to be only the innova.
If your car is doing ok , keep it . If you have to buy an immediate replacement, buy another innova.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks