Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your pick from this 4x4 choice?
Mahindra XUV5OO 130 34.57%
Mahindra Scorpio 33 8.78%
Tata Safari Storme 154 40.96%
Tata Aria 15 3.99%
Renault Duster 44 11.70%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

Nice thread. My vote- clearly for the Storme 2015.

1. Storme has the best ride quality and comfort like all previous safaris. Moving on the road with families is the most comfortable in this SUV.

2. Driving the Safari Storme is quite better due to great commanding view, feather light clutch and smooth power delivery - i am not speaking about races between the suvs to claim 0-100. Turning radius on the storme is very good and its very easy to drive in city.

3. Offroading - a person like me who is not a hardcore offroader can suffice with the Storme. Storme though not as agile as gypsy or the thar can do lot of varieties off the road with the shift on the fly 4x4 system + low ratio. The articulation is also very good. Also the suspension set up is the best amongst the listed vehicles(aria is same or a bit better)

4. Chassis with RWD - this is my preference for offroad as well as onroad when it comes to SUVs.

Overall Storme is a perfect blend of onroad and offroad breeds. Yes i know it doesnt have gizmos that the XUV has, but i am better of with mechanical upgrades like "Self Adjusting Clutch" " Electronic turbo" " better torque maps" "Strong chassis " " Rear Wheel Drive" than a touchscreen or tpms etc.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:11   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Aren't you comparing chalk to cheese, or oranges to apples, here?

Considering that all 4x4s are not the same in terms of transmission & 4wd mechanism (and chassis construction), this comparison of vehicles with an RWD + part-time 4wd system + low range TC (the Storme and Scorpio - with a body-on-frame structure) against those with a FWD + on-demand AWD system with no low range TC (XUV5OO / Duster AWD / Aria - with monocoque construction) doesn't really portray a proper picture.

The applications which each type of vehicle can be put to are not necessarily the same, and even if one variety wins when comparing the *Likes / Dislikes* and features list, it need not be the right 4x4 vehicle for the type of use the buyer has in mind.
Agree but while it may seem like splitting hairs but Aria should be in a third Ladder on Frame / chassis construction category with RWD + part-time AWD. (It has a permanent 100 % to rear default and upto 20% to front on need basis.) It is NOT Monocoque construction.

But yes even I am not voting simply because of the same reason as the best vehicle would depend on the use and each are great in their own way and for their own applications.

The info provided is great though and can help one make a call on the segment.

Storme vs Scorpio does make sense.
XUV vs Duster too does make sense.
Aria vs XUV also can be a comparison.
But we just can't really compare all.

Also disagree on the notion that Scorio S10 and XUV W10 are seemingly only in a top tier category Aria Pride AWD should have been up there with them in that category. It has some stuff that the other two don't. That said that is actually just a matter of personal selection and outlook.

Your point though is valid even with this bit of data.

Good amount of info on the thread, but we need to also realize that for all practical purposes
1) Storme is gigantic 5 seater,
2) Duster is almost car like to drive but looks like an SUV and also handles rough roads well.
3) Storme vs Scorpio is a really hard call for rough roading.
4) Aria vs XUV is not just about gizmos, but if one can look beyond the problem of Aria's looks it does seem to provide a more rugged package in terms of the construction compared to the XUV. Yet at the other end the Pure and Pure+ Aria 4X2 are better compared with an Innova so do we add that too to the comparison - why not 7 seater and better than cars Ground Clearance. Also why keep the Terrano out if this is not about 4X4's / AWD.

Last edited by ACM : 22nd June 2015 at 16:19.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Oranges and Apples comparison, but i voted for XUV as it suits my requirements better, which are-
  • Full Sized SUV with space for 4 full sized Adults and their Luggage.
  • Comfortable Seating, with recline for 4.
  • Sorted Dynamics with the ability to be thrown around in the corners like a car.
  • Punchy and Efficient Diesel engine, with gearing suitable for highways.
  • Safety Equipment(Might be Bells and Whistles for others, but i care for safety of occupants more than any other feature in the brochure.)
  • Go Anywhere ability(Yet to find a place where XUV wont go!).

For on road dynamics and overall comfort, there is just no point comparing Monocoques to Trucks. After being used to driving a XUV, i have to slow down even a Fortuner/Rexton a lot for the same corner that does not even bother me in XUV. Similarly off the Road, XUV is not as competent as any of the trucks.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:59   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the SUV & MUV Section!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the thread Anurag. But...we can't pick a winner. Very less percentage of voters would have driven all the vehicles listed or driven them. When I said at a particular thread, that the 4WD Scorpio's ride and handling is very good, one senior member didn't buy it because of his pre-conceived notion about a product. I know he wouldn't have driven one. You can't TD as it isn't available and one has to wait for it and the no of 4WD's sold is very less, so fat chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Renault is currently doing average with the Duster as the competition has heated up well and AFAIK, the 4x4 variant isn't pulling out numbers as the 2WD is doing. May be due to the price factor and people aren't too confident to get the 4x4 from Renault.
The 4X4 variant of Duster would pull more no of customers than Storme + Safari combined. I don't have any data, but going by what I have seen.

It would have been really nice, if one would compare the AWD variants of the XUV vs the Duster and the 4WD capability of Storme vs the Scorpio.

A marathon road + some off the road excursion would prove as to which is the one to pick. Have requested earlier as well and no one has tested the 4X4 variants of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is one thing which Tata didn't upgrade = the elephant in the room called "Component Quality". Our test Storme with 4,000 kms on the odo didn't have a working 4x4 low box. Probably a faulty clutch sensor? Barely 100 kms into the test, the service light came on. 50 kms later, the SUV refused to start.
This is why I voted for the Scorpio here as well as with my $$$

I just had the chassis based trucks in my mind and there are couple of places where other monocoques would have scraped or would have suffered from underbody hits.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:56   #21
BHPian

No brainer for me - 2015 Safari Storme

(Not an uninformed decision btw! I have driven most of the cars in question (I drive the XUV very often, I might add). I haven't driven the new Scorpio, but the older one did not really appeal to me.)

Contrary to public demand, I, personally am happy that TATA does not fill up Storme to its brim with electronic bits. Lesser electronics - lesser worries!

Here is why I would choose Safari Storme any given day..
  • Amazing Ride quality. Though Tanveer mentioned that the ride is stiffened a bit, I am pretty sure, it would still be the best in its class.
  • Commanding view of the Road ahead. UNMATCHED!
  • Less electrical components, no need to worry about bits going kaput.
  • RWD!
  • Best in class space (as a 5 seater, not 7!)
  • Last but not the least, The SAFARI LEGECY!

Hoping to own the truck some time soon.. *sigh*

Btw, good to see we have more Safari fans than XUV/Scorpio!!

Last edited by nerd1200 : 23rd June 2015 at 20:01.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Tata Storme is the one for me. Why? Read below:

1. Body on Chassis construction (its not a Monocoque)
2. A true blue 4WD/4x4 (its not a SUV)
3. A real 5 seater and not a people mover (its neither a MUV)
4. Good engine and mechanicals

...and "Apni desi gaddi aa" (its our own Indian vehicle/brand)
Old 24th June 2015, 08:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Safari. Purely a heart's decision. I love the way it looks and I love the commanding driving position having driven one extensively plus it is an effortless long distance cruiser. I wish it was as tough as it looks.
Old 24th June 2015, 12:31   #24
BHPian

Voted for Safari mine has 55K now
Old 24th June 2015, 12:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

How I hope the market results also reflected the views of this poll!
Just look at the votes for Storme vs Scorpio and then glance over the May sales thread :(
Anyway, voted for the inimitable Safari/Storme!

Last edited by rrsteer : 24th June 2015 at 12:49.
Old 24th June 2015, 13:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
How I hope the market results also reflected the views of this poll!
Just look at the votes for Storme vs Scorpio and then glance over the May sales thread :(
Anyway, voted for the inimitable Safari/Storme!
Well, In India is a very loosely used term. How do you define a SUV?
In my opinion, (and I may be wrong) an SUV should offer:

1) "Sporting ability " which I would equate with off- roading since it is not really designed for on road drags which the sedans are more suited to. So AWD/4WD is a must. In India more than 95% SUV's are 2WD which I believe is very different from the rest of the world. It should also have good low end torque.

2) It should be tough. While it may not be necessarily mean a ladder frame chassis, the design should cater to demands like atriculation, approach and departure angles, water wading ability, sufficient ground clearance. It should also not drop body claddings etc when taken off the tarmac.

3)Reasonable ability to extricate itself from mud/ slush. Without 4WD/ AWD a lot of our so called SUV's would fail this test.

4) They should offer a minimum level of comfort. Some of the models based on the older basic designs are very tough but zero on comfort. Eg Gypsy etc and this makes them a no no for all except the enthusiasts.

In India a big car with good GC and an imposing presence which barely leaves the tarmac is the most commonly accepted definition of an SUV.

If I were to go by the factors mentioned above, I find the Storme 4WD to be the best SUV in the under 20 lakh segment.
Old 24th June 2015, 13:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Storme - Why, read below:
Xuv according to me is not a suv. 8 seater tallboy or at best or car on stilts. However, it comes with best in class features.
Duster - AWD is a very good performer on road but from the suv perspective though it can take you places, its not built for the kill.
Aria - good contender as a people mover. Tough build and rugged, but the design looks quite dated even when it was launched and definitely doesnt look futuristic as pointed out in the opening post. Again, long list of features and definitely more rugged than the xuv.
Scorpio - lovely engine and driveability. Lack of interior space, very bad suspension.
Storme - engine performance compares to all the above contenders. Best in class space and comfort. Fit & finish and quality of materials equals and beats some of the other contenders. Best in class suspension. Superb all around view with a very airy and spacious cabin. Tata honours its warranty claims with much more prudence than the competitors.

However, i feel, the Safari & Scorpio being proper ladder on frame suv's with low range gearboxes cannot be compared to the Duster and xuv which are monocoques. The Aria can be compared to the Innova which is a ladder on frame people mover.

Of the above, I have driven all the vehicles.
Old 24th June 2015, 14:28   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Of the above, I have driven all the vehicles.
Hi!
Drove the new gen Scorpio in its 4WD avatar?

I am asking because I have found it be pretty different as far as composure and ride/handling go.

On other counts, I do agree.
Old 24th June 2015, 16:41   #29
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Small correction in the features of ARIA Pure LX

Pure LX does come with tilt steering and rear defogger.

Where as it does not have ABS as mentioned in this thread.
Old 24th June 2015, 19:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!
Drove the new gen Scorpio in its 4WD avatar?

I am asking because I have found it be pretty different as far as composure and ride/handling go.

On other counts, I do agree.
Hi Sheel.
The 4wd Scorpio is not available for test drives.

Ive driven both 2wd and 4wd Storme. The handling and suspension is very much the same on both except for the 4wd being very slightly taut on the front suspension and slightly more turning radius.

A prospective buyer will judge based on what he/she test drives. I believe suv manufacturers making 4wd / AWD options must have these options available for test drives.

On my visit to a Mahindra showroom i was actively discouraged from buying a 4wd saying it was of no use unless you drive in a farm. This, i believe is a wrong notion and im sure anyone who drives / owns a 4wd will disagree. 4wd on an suv is not specifically for offroading. In most cases, and im sure u may agree, its for those 1% possibilities where you cannot push a 2wd 2 ton suv out of a stuck ditch or a situation where you may get stuck on a muddy shoulder on the left of the road which any suv allows you to drive through.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks