Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?

I am looking to get an SUV softroader in the family. Its primarily my wife who is pestering me for the upgrade. Its odd but this is to replace the Hyundai EON that she is using. Other cars in the family are Honda City as well as the Hyundai i10 (AUTO).

Not getting into why the CRV inspite of the high petrol consumption as our usage is going to be low on the car. The issue is most CRVS I am seeing pre owned are of year 2007 OR 2008, and have run at least 60,000 KMS.

They may even be clocked for mileage. I saw a 65K Kms run CRV that ran way smoother than a 37K Kms. The quoted price is in range of 6.5 to 7.25 lacs in Mumbai.

The old cars still had no rattles and i was impressed by build quality. All the CRVs tested had the electricals still working. They used to be CBU imports if I am not mistaken and were built really well.

I am not using the word Pre-Worshipped here, contrary to fashion. Every used car purchase isn't a pre worshipped one. As a percentage of population, few keep their cars in a Worshipped state. I am buying with the mindset that something may need to be attended to.

Now coming to the question. Is it worth putting money in an 8 year old car? How much is an amount to keep aside after the purchase for minor repairs. What will be a fair and reasonable price to pay.

The upgrade is more of a 'want' based than 'need' based.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 13:10. Reason: Removing excessive spacing
manishkapadia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?

Why CRV?
For that budget, you could look for used dusters/scorpios/safaris in mumbai, more recent ones too.
Unless there is a specific reason for looking at a CRV?
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:46   #3
BHPian

For pre owned purchase i dont have comfort outside a honda or a toyota . In extended family we have are using Civic , City and Jazz all of them extremely reliable and hence the CRV. Tata cars i will never buy . Once bitten twice shy . They age in no time . Do not like the scorpio either . And it has to be an Automatic. Duster even if it would have an automatic is just too plastic on the inside for my liking . Does not feel premium like the Crv and that is the whole point of the swap.

Note from Mod: Please only use spaces after punctuation marks, not before. Thanks

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th September 2015 at 18:35. Reason: Please make sure you see the note that has been added to your post & follow the advice in the future. Thanks.
manishkapadia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

I own a 2008 CRV 2.0. Check it out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ml#post3645764

This vehicle is a CBU so originally everything was made in Japan.

Pros:

1) Still looks good. Interior still looks modern.
2) Very spacious. Very practical.
3) Its a class apart in refinement and drivability -Dont bother comparing it to Dusters and scorpios.

Things seldom go wrong in this vehicle - But when they do - They cost a bomb.

Be very clear about one thing : Scheduled service is quite affordable but Parts are expensive. If you have an accident, repairs are expensive.

Worst case scenario, add a safety budget of Rs. 60000 per year for REPAIRS ONLY to your cost of ownership. Compare that with the depreciation of buying a new vehicle in the same segment and the ownership cost doesn't look that bad.

Thats how I think about it and hence have no intention of selling the car anytime soon.
AbhiJ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Not getting into why the CRV inspite of the high petrol consumption as our usage is going to be low on the car.
How much low mileage are you ok with? One of my friends is getting 7 to 8 kmpl for his automatic CRV in the city (in moderately heavy traffic).
Old 18th September 2015, 13:54   #6
BHPian

Abhij - Your Car looks lovely . How many KMS have you run it so far . And after running that many kms does it still drive like new . I think parts availability is not an issue .

Frankly in Mumbai i managed to get an odd part for a 15 yr old Opel Corsa sail in less than 2 hours. So Hondas shouldn 't be an issue.

Graceful ageing is one reason for me looking at honda . A new CRV will cost me close to 30 big ones OTR in Mumbai and franky my head will not allow me to cut a cheque for that amount. Now a 6 lac with another 1 lac to bring it in top shape is fine. I intend to keep it for long ( 5 yrs plus a minimum )

Jinojohnt - 7 or 8 KMPL is fine with me since running will be less than 500 KMS a month.

Last edited by manishkapadia : 18th September 2015 at 13:56. Reason: Update and spelling
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 16:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The major gripe I had with the CRV was mileage. But since youre not concerned about that, I'll just share what my mech shared about it. I had picked out a 2007 white CRV for 7 Lacs about 2 years ago. The mechanic said, you can find all parts for this car, even for the earlier boxy one, easily. BUT, its a 20L plus car. He could fit things at Alto cost, but the parts etc will cost as much as they do for that segment. So I dropped it.

But I agree. The CRV is understatedly elegant.

Just be vigilant with what car you pick out. Your heart is set on a CRV, just dont let it get set on a particular one you see just because you "felt" it, and HAVE to get it. You'll save on your 1 Lac extra that you've put aside if you shortlist a few "buy-able" examples(3-4, ideally), before putting money on the table.

PS:Call up honda service to get true mileage when in doubt
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 16:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Abhij - Your Car looks lovely . How many KMS have you run it so far . And after running that many kms does it still drive like new . I think parts availability is not an issue .
Runs great. The engine still revvs cleanly to 6000 rpm and handles fantastically.

Its run about 47k km or so.

In the last 7.5 years I have spent on.

1) Tyres (This year)
2) AC Fan (2 years ago)
3) AC Compressor (This year)
4) AC Coil (This year)
5) 4 Brake Discs (2 years ago)
6) All brake Pads (2 years ago)

The steering rack had a knocking sound which I got repaired locally. Its now come back.

Very little sound coming from suspension, so that's gonna be a big expense whenever I get that looked into.

Bottom Line: Approx cost of running will be Rs. 22 per km for you. Rs 12 / km is fuel, Rs. 10 / km in Maintenance (Considering 6000 km / yr) .

If that seems ok to you, go for it.
AbhiJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 17:42   #9
BHPian

Honda CRV, mechanically is solid to the core but it's spare parts are expensive and not readily available at most dealers. But on the good side they are not much sought after in the used market like the Scorpio or Toyotas, so a good deal can be expected
Old 18th September 2015, 17:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned an earlier iteration of this, I still have a soft corner for the CR-V. Just wish it had been more economical to own and run. Would have been the right vehicle to keep for a long time.
Old 18th September 2015, 18:40   #11
BHPian

I am aware that parts will not be as cheap as a City / Civic however what i am told is that once a part is replaced then its good to go for long term. In fact a garage owner where i send my cars at times also said why dont i look for a CRV . He swears by its build quality and says its the right vehicle considering our low usage.
Old 19th September 2015, 13:26   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?

The CR-V is one heck of an urban SUV and it has quite a fan following. Yep, the generation you'll get is a CBU, hence you are assured top notch build quality.

The two main downsides are its FE & pricey spares. With short distance running, expect 6 - 7 kpl only. Spares are expensive, but they last a long time and the car is supremely reliable.

That said, I wouldn't advice buying an 8 year old car. That's simply too much. As reliable as the model might be, things (especially rubber, electrical wiring etc.) wear out with time. You'll always have some niggle or the other.

I'd say the max you should go back is 5 years. How about a 2010 for 10 lakhs instead? Keep an eye on the market and you should spot good examples coming up now & then. You clearly don't have a tight budget as such.

Here is a sample CR-V on sale

Wildcard entry: How about an EcoSport AT (new or used)? I have a feeling your wife will like the car. Funky styling, compact SUV, smooth AT, light controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
For that budget, you could look for used dusters/scorpios/safaris in mumbai, more recent ones too.
1. Wife.

2. Once someone is sold on a premium compact SUV (CR-V, X-Trail etc.), they won't consider large & unwieldy Safaris / Scorpios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The mechanic said, you can find all parts for this car, even for the earlier boxy one, easily. BUT, its a 20L plus car. He could fit things at Alto cost, but the parts etc will cost as much as they do for that segment. So I dropped it.
Very, very good point that any used car customer should keep in mind. No matter what price you buy the car at, its spares will be in line with what the model costs new.

You can buy an E-Class for 5 lakhs. But its spares will be in line with a 40 - 50 lakh car.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 13:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why CR-V in the first place? I believe most of Honda's offerings are highly over rated. The CRV gives poor mileage and when folks say it drives fantastically, I think they are forgetting about the Mitsubishi Outlander

The Outlander:
*Puts the CRV to shame in terms of dynamic ability
*Is just as reliable being Japanese
*Is more robust and can tackle rougher patches of road or that unexpected pothole
*Comes with an impressive RockfordFosgate system stock

If you go through a good independent garage, servicing a Jap car will never be difficult so you can wipe away fears of Mitsubishi's presence in our country

PS: if diesel is on your mind you could even look at the X-Trail as an option

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th September 2015 at 13:50.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Outlander? Seriously?

HM is no more. Is Mitsubishi even selling cars in India anymore?

Wouldnt parts availability / service be an issue?
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 22:16   #15
BHPian

CRV is a good choice provided a considerable sum is kept aside for maintaining this car. Spare parts are not easily available with dealers so service delays are to be expected.

Another fine choice would be a Skoda Yeti. A Well built car with quality that can match up to the CRV's. This car is very comfortable and fully loaded with features but due to low demand and brand image a well maintained Yeti can be bought for a mouth watering price. Of course it's not from Japan so just offering a suggestion based on mechanical parameters only.

Outlander may have huge service issues as Mitsubishi now has only marginal presence here but it was a great car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks