Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 14:25   #46
J.Ravi

Re: Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?

Coming to the topic of switching off ESP, the XUV 500 FWD owner's manual recommends it in some driving conditions.

Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?-img_20151112_135101.jpg

I didn't switch off ESP at Zuluk [snow], Sela Pass [snow] and Badrinath [gravelly and bouldery], resulting in some nervous moments that needed external help. Switching off ESP might have helped, perhaps.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th November 2015 at 14:31.

Old 15th November 2015, 17:03   #47
BHPian

3 days with the XUV and here is my short take on the vehicle..
Big note of Thanks to all who helped me close the decision on the variant

What I liked

- tonnes of space (see attached pic for two dogs sitting in the rear and enough space left to host a bunch of friends and a game of Poker)

- Engine noise and overall NVH levels are way lower than expected , at par if not better than the oil burners from the German trio

- Nothing new with this but the Engine does not disappoint at all. Good levels of torque at all rpms and the post turbo boost is adequate to never make you feel that the vehicle is underpowered - As long as you Don't expect it to be a beast on steroids

- AC until the third row and better than expected seats for the last row

What's alright

- The interiors are just about OK - The quality of the seat leather is quite decent, most storage spaces are padded however most of the plastics are of very poor quality - whether it be the instrument panel buttons or the door handles. Almost all plastic parts feel flimsy

- The HU and the speakers do their job alright but there is a clear lack of bass (C'mon, it wouldn't have been that hard to add an underseat Sub when you are pricing a significant premium over the base variant) - The midrange is also poorly defined

- Ride and Handling: The suspension is soft and pliant, unfortunately with the tall stance, it makes a dent on the handling prowess of the vehicle. Lane change Manoeuvres at 80+ can be felt clearly having an effect on the stance and stability of the vehicle.
I prefer driving safe and from what I have experienced so far, I doubt of I will ever feel comfortable driving this at 100+ speeds

What's bad
- The clutch has a very long play, It'll be painful to drive this vehicle in bumper-to-bumper traffic
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?-img20151115wa0009.jpg  

abhi182 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 12:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Coming to the topic of switching off ESP, the XUV 500 FWD owner's manual recommends it in some driving conditions.

I didn't switch off ESP at Zuluk [snow], Sela Pass [snow] and Badrinath [gravelly and bouldery], resulting in some nervous moments that needed external help. Switching off ESP might have helped, perhaps.
That is why the ESP off switch if provided, When your driving on snow, Sand or going offroad, Since any traction loss detected the ESP will reduce the engine power, I got the ESP off switch for my jetta as well, Since it was impossible to drive the jetta on the beaches with the esp ON, Since it was just cutting down the engine power all the time, Cant wait to take the cheetah to a few such places.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:22   #49
BHPian

I had a similar learning with my RWD X1
I got it stuck in mud once and the vehicle just wouldn't budge
What I had not realized is that ESP kept cutting off the power to the rear wheels the moment they started slipping in the mud

Once I switched ESP off, the vehicle came out without a complaint
Old 27th November 2015, 02:38   #50
BHPian

Nice and bright sunny day here today
Time to pull out the camera and get the beasts to pose !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?-img_20151126_134557-1.jpg  

abhi182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 09:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think the answer to this puzzle lies elsewhere. I own an XUV, albeit FWD. However I also own a Duster AWD. And I had a similar confusion with the Duster! Now it has that nifty dial system to chose 2WD, 4WD and Auto modes. My thought was that when you select 2WD it should drive like a pure 2WD vehicle. Apparently not! When it was lifted up and then they gunned the engine in the 2WD mode with the 4 wheels in air to my surprise all the 4 wheels started turning and then even picked up speed! I was zapped initially. However, I think one of the fellow moderators showed me that Duster/Terrano have a transmission that detects and transfers torque to the non powered wheels (behaves like 4wd) even in 2WD mode if the system detects 0 traction. In my case the wheels were in the air. Now, something as simple as a Viscous Coupling could cause this to happen or it can be something more elaborate.

Check if the XUV AWD also has something similar.

I have a Chevy Captiva AWD. From what i understand and have observed is that its an all wheel drive when it starts up and becomes FWD when it goes off the 1st gear. Its a bit more difficult to make out in my car as its an autobox
Old 1st February 2016, 14:25   #52
BHPian

The more i read the more i realise how i should i have stuck to buying the AWD version. And not listen to the RM who convinced me against it.

Is it possible to modify the FWD version and add the AWD to it?

I love driving and plan to conquer Leh with my Monster, will it be possible? Specially after my first attempt with the Punto ended with a broken clutch lever and driving back from Pang in a truck.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:23   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarjeetphukan View Post
The more i read the more i realise how i should i have stuck to buying the AWD version. And not listen to the RM who convinced me against it.
A word about these nincompoops

A mechanic or a service adviser, at most times, will unnecessarily rev an engine, especially after filling in new engine oil or when the engine is cold. Do they have any idea as to what are they doing? Most if not all do not follow any of this

And sales guys...? Less said the better.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:04   #54
BHPian

Gentlemen,

Does anyone know the gross weight difference between the FWD and the AWD option of the facelifted XUV?

Cheers,
Sting
Old 24th July 2016, 18:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Gentlemen,

Does anyone know the gross weight difference between the FWD and the AWD option of the facelifted XUV?

Cheers,
Sting
Dear Sting,

I remember it vaguely - 2510 and 2610 kg for W10.
Please feel free to correct me....

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:46   #56
BHPian

From the manual:
Kerb Weight:
FWD : 1785+-15kg
AWD : 1860+-15kg

Gross Vehicle Weight:
2450kg all models.
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 10:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to modify the FWD version and add the AWD to it?
To be short on my answer, I do not think so.

Too many technicalities involved in retrofitting.

Quote:
I love driving and plan to conquer Leh with my Monster, will it be possible? Specially after my first attempt with the Punto ended with a broken clutch lever and driving back from Pang in a truck.
Well, if regular Civics and Lineas and Xcents can conquer Leh, why not your XUV? Just be careful of not being too adventurous just because you have some additional ground clearance.

I think you will do fine even in a FWD XUV if go via Srinagar-Kargil-Leh route.
Old 13th January 2017, 16:08   #58
BHPian

Greetings,
I own a XUV W6 since last 5 odd years & been to kind of difficult terrains during these 5 years (Spiti, Kinnaur, Jalori, Tirthan, Amritsar, Jaisalmer, etc). Apart from one single instance during heavy rains on a steep incline of Jalori Pass where my vehicle struggled a lot when it got stuck in a small pothole sort of thing. Because it was slippery & continuously raining from past few days, it was way too difficult for me to get it off that hole/ small ditch.
On that particular day, I decided to buy the next vehicle as AWD/ 4*4. I may change the vehicle in 2017 depending on circumstances.

Need advice from fellow XUV Owners on below choices:
1. New W8 AWD (should be a good choice, as I don't mind driving XUV again as its very comfortable vehicle & I have tested it to almost all types of mountains in Himachal, etc).
2. HEXA AWD, if it gets launched with a good Price. But, as they say Tata Support either remains a hit or flop - no one knows.
3. An old Pajero Sport 4*4 (may be an year old or a bit more) if it comes around 16-17 L.
4. An old Fortuner 4*4 (may be an year old or a bit more) if it comes around 16-17 L.

Before suggesting on above points, please consider these points:
a. My budget is max 18-19L.
b. I am a frequent traveler to Himalayas & would prefer a vehicle which can serve me better on mild/ medium level snow. [Would specially request Anshuman to respond on this, since he owns XUV AWD on how that vehicle responded to snow rides - as I am sure he would have been to those terrains, that I am talking about]
c. If the Govt allows the new rule of 10 year Diesel Vehicle to be scrapped, then I would prefer a new vehicle (as it will allow me to keep that vehicle for many more years, as compared to an old one) without thinking to upgrade it again after a few years.

Suggestions awaited.
Old 20th January 2017, 08:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Naveen i would suggest you to go for xuv awd instead of any second hand suv. Reason as you stated, scraping of 10 year old cars.
Hexa now launched and pricing too seems ok ok, is another choice you can look at. BUT its a new car so there would be issues like xuv did.
Duster awd is a gem of a car but the interiors are way too outdated. But if you can live with that then its a perfect capable suv in this price range.

PS: me too thinking of replacing my 5 year old xuv
Old 20th January 2017, 08:43   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Need advice from fellow XUV Owners on below choices:
1. New W8 AWD (should be a good choice, as I don't mind driving XUV again as its very comfortable vehicle & I have tested it to almost all types of mountains in Himachal, etc).
Since you have owned the XUV-500, you know the car, I need not tell you about the car except the AWD system. Most of the things I thought needed to be fixed in old XUV were fixed at the time of facelift.

Quote:
2. HEXA AWD, if it gets launched with a good Price. But, as they say Tata Support either remains a hit or flop - no one knows.
Its a good car, I drove it last month, many things about Hexa are really good including the ride quality, overall comfort, Interiors... But XUV scores over it in Performance, probably in Fuel Economy, Handling, Ownership. Also, I still do not see any good reason why this car will not be another Aria, both in terms of reliability and resale value.

Quote:
3. An old Pajero Sport 4*4 (may be an year old or a bit more) if it comes around 16-17 L.
4. An old Fortuner 4*4 (may be an year old or a bit more) if it comes around 16-17 L.
Almost impossible to find these cars in your budget.

Quote:
b. I am a frequent traveler to Himalayas & would prefer a vehicle which can serve me better on mild/ medium level snow. [Would specially request Anshuman to respond on this, since he owns XUV AWD on how that vehicle responded to snow rides - as I am sure he would have been to those terrains, that I am talking about
I have done all kind of difficult terrains in my XUV including many Snow drives and for last few months my car even goes to OTRs, they have mention in my ownership thread. It is good for a Crossover but you need to learn to play with clutch at Altitude, without damaging it, I've learnt it and my car goes to places where low range is required and still has smoothest clutch at 75k kms.

Have a look at some of my videos-

.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks