Volkswagen Tiguan 28 5.57%
Hyundai Tucson 26 5.17%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.39%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 14:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Looking for SUV in 20-40 range

Looking at the details you have shared , the Fortuner would be a great choice for you.
  • Reliable like your Honda. Maintenance costs will be reasonable too
  • Fairly powerful and spacious interiors and reasonably good auto-box
  • You can hold on to it for a long time - it will serve you without too many issues for years
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 15:10   #77
BHPian

If I summarize your requirement = SUV + Diesel + Automatic + easy to navigate traffic + own for a long time + service/reliability/costs like Honda

There is a thread about Citroen C5 AirCross and the media embargo ends 15th Feb 2021. the USP seems to be its magic carpet ride which is much needed for the Martian city of Bengaluru!
AirWind is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 15:33   #78
BHPian

If you can wait, the Kodiaq will be relaunched by June. If you can't, then at least wait for the C5 AirCross, it would provide a comfy ride, that's for sure.
Old 11th February 2021, 15:40   #79
BHPian

I would suggest to include the Kodiaq as well in your list and retain only the Fortuner, Compass and Endeavour from your list given the budget you have. I would have suggested the AirCross as well which seems to be a great product from what's out yet but the service part of it remains an unknown for now. If you are willing to take a risk on that front, then you should have that in your list too
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:13   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiguan is still available, albeit in limited quantities / colours and at smaller discounts than those that prevailed in December. Believe they may reintroduce either the Tiguan 5 seater or the All Space in Q2. Believe the Kodiaq and perhaps the Karoq may also be reintroduced.

So you do have a broad set - though a decision on Body on Frame VS Monocoque would help make decision making simpler
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:55   #81
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions.

Citroen is something I hadnt thought, so will add that. Although I am guessing it wont meet my cutoff date.

Surprisingly, didnt see anyone suggest X1, is it because its not good enough or there are other reasons?

This weekend doing the Test drive for Kia/Fortuner/Endeavor. Will post my feedback.
Pseud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:58   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud View Post
I need a vehicle that gives me the comfort and ride quality of a sedan as well as the presence of a SUV.
While all the SUVs you have shortlisted are more or less good choices and I do not think you can go much wrong with any of those, let me point out that the above statement is a myth :-)

I am a sedan guy myself, but also love SUVs for what they offer. But every time I have driven an SUV, especially at highway speeds, I could not ignore the body roll, the picthing and sideways movement, and the apparent lack of stability compared to a sedan. Even the relatively best riding SUVs do suffer from body roll and pitching on highways and in ghats.

Thus, there is a definite compromise in driving the SUVs compared to sedans. However, SUVs can make up for that by their abilities to go anywhere and handle any situation. But then that requires 4x4/AWD. If you drive just a FWD SUV, then you are giving up way too much of driving pleasure for not much in return apart from high GC.

Therefore, I would suggest that you consider either a good sedan or else a 4x4/AWD SUV.

And then the first two or three options (and also the last option - X1) from your list get eliminated.

Further, the upcoming 2021 XUV5OO might be a great option. It will be a monocoque (with relatively good dynamics for an SUV), 4x4 with AT, and loaded with features and gizmos. That might just be the perfect vehicle to buy in 2021. I would certainly wait for that if I were in your position.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 11th February 2021 at 19:11.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 19:11   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I need a vehicle that gives me the comfort and ride quality of a sedan as well as the presence of a SUV
Hehe, this is not possible in your stated budget without a compromise on something.

The only cars that I can think of are - Porsche Macan and Porsche Cayenne. Both are out of budget for 99% of the population in India

For the rest, Kodiaq seems to be a good option if you want the SUV characteristics but a comfortable drive and good interiors. Better to wait for it. That still will not drive like a Sedan though.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 10:13   #84
BHPian

SUV - 20l to 40l range

Looks like my thread got merged with this one. Although the Kodiaq is one I am not considering as I dont trust the Skoda brand for ASS.'

So hopefully, I can talk of cars other than Kodiaq and continue discussing on this thread.
Old 12th February 2021, 11:02   #85
BHPian

Quote:
We are a 4 member family, so a 5 seater should be enough. However, I sold off my second car, so the occasional extended family visits and trips (post COVID) would be better via a larger vehicle.

The list of vehicles I plan to research and test drive and select (all by March end) are

1. Kia Seltos
2. Tata Harrier
3. Hyundai Tucson
4. Jeep Compass
5. Ford Endeavor
6. VW Tiguan
7. Toyota Fortuner
8. BMW X1

Let me know if I am missing any car worth searching as also things to take care.
Since you are already considering the cars the size of Fortuner and Endeavour, may I suggest you to check out the Kia Carnival too when you go for the Seltos TD?

That car despite being too large will leave even more expensive cars behind in terms of comfort.

Oh, and speaking about comfort, how can we forget the Citroen C5? Team-BHP’s review might be up in 3 days.

However, TD the BMW X1 and you are sold. Unless you find the premium too expensive, you won’t find any other car good enough, whether it’s in terms of luxury, performance, or even snob value — (there, I said it).

Definitely, a sedan like drive/ride and road manners but SUV like presence, just what you need. I’m sure the X1 drive will leave you impressed.

What you need to calculate here, is the long term costs in the ownership of a premium German crossover.

Buying an X1 would probably cost you more in the long run than a Seltos, or even a Fortuner.

You could also try the Safari, but I don’t think you need those two extra seats.

Any reason for not considering the offerings from MG — Gloster, Hector, Hector Plus?

Will expect an update from you after the TDs this weekend.

Last edited by EightSix : 12th February 2021 at 11:03.
EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 10:40   #86
BHPian

Ford Endeavor Test Drive

Test Drove the Ford Endeavor 4*4 Titanium+ AT (they didnt have the 4*2 for TD)

Disclaimers
This is practically my first SUV,very little AT experience (except for the few international trips) and very little on Diesel too.

Looks
I have sat in the earlier 3.2l version and the 2.0l version is still very impressive and has a nice, butch look. From the side trims and the minimal loud tags which seem a trend and I find a bit tacky. This one does have a commanding presence.

Space
Drivers seat is very comfortable, the elctronic seat adjustments were good. Although, coming from the Civic, I almost felt I was standing and driving

The middle seat is also fairly comfortable looking but the thirs row is a joke. I am not sure if even my 12 year old will be comfotrable. Also, the boot space is missing if you use three rows. So practically, a 5 seater, unless you have a journey with very little luggage.

Drive
Coming from a sedan,I didnt expectmuch, but the drive was very nice. The seating position takes some getting used to but it does make you feel like the King of a castle.

The 10 speed gear box is very nice, although it does expect very frequent changes in Sports mode. The geat box and steering wheel were the right feel and size and superbly comfortable. The transition from regular drive mode to Sports was super easy and smooth.

The engine does take its time to accelerate ( I am a bit used to hard acceleration, esp. to overtake) whichI felt was a bit difficult.

Over speedbreakers and bad roads, the drive was super smooth. Engaged the mud terrain mode on a mud road patch, but frankly couldnt make out the difference as I dont typically speed on such roads.

The brakes are super good and it gives one a lot of confidence.

Wasnt used to the new beeping sounds post 80, which is super irritiating, esp if you are hovering around that mark and keep crossing it.

Overall, loved the drive quality, the susension was good, but felt it could be better (but I am no expert and its my first TD in ages.)

Others
Loved the information being given in the dashboard, lots of useful info. Easy mobile connect using Carplay and Auto. Didnt hear the music system which was a big miss but I am sure I will TD again the car.

Overall, very happy with this car and will shortlist it for the next round ( and its only my first TD).
Old 14th February 2021, 19:39   #87
BHPian

Kia Seltos Test Drive

Post the Endeavor, TD the Kia Seltos Turbo Petrol Automatic. Chose this one as the Diesel Automatic at 115PS I thought would be a few notches lower than the Civic itself.

Looks
Although this was the 2019 variant, its still a smart looking car/crossover/SUV. The extra badges is something I am not too fond of. But the lights and the design seemed nice.

Space
It seemed a comfortable car, rather than a typical SUV and the space in the boot was very good. Didnt check the back seat legroom,as I did the TD alone.

Drive
The ride quality was a bit of a downer after the Endeavor and the cabin noise was very high. The engine being petrol was peppier but both brakes and the gear box seemed hard and dont inspire a lot of confidence. While the sales guy kept saying its because its a TD vehicle, I am not very sure. The gear shift was very plasticky and just didnt give a good feel whenyou hold it. The steering wheel, seemed kind of odd but I cant really place what was wrong.

Handling of the car was ok, but nothing to write home about. The car didnt seem to have much better Fuel efficiency than even the Endeavor which to me was a surprise. It consistently hovered around the 7-8, the Diesel would be better, but I am not sure.

Others

The features from connectivity as well as the dashboard display is full of additional features. The current model does come with ventilated seats. The seat adjustment is manual vs electronic in the other SUV's.

Overall, not very impressed, unless my final budget constraints force me. I dont think I will shortlist this.
Old 14th February 2021, 23:10   #88
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner TD

Test drove the Older Fortuner, but drove to the showroom to feel the new Toyota Fortuner.

The new ones have front sensors like the Ford Endeavor, has almost 34 PS more power and higher torque. The DRL's look nice and the touchscreen is much nicer alongwith the speedometer and odometer.

Looks
I like the overall looks of this generation of Fortuner and it doesnt look as bland as the older ones. The gap between the frame and the tyres look too much. Maybe it works for 4*4.
The seating is nice with much easier to access the third row, unlike the Ford, which needs some serious gymnastics to reach.
The leather (although they claimed its from Stanley) didnt look as nice as the Endeavor. The gear box is nice but I liked the one in the Endeavor.
The third row has much more space than the Endeavor.

The steering wheel is better than the Kia but not as good as the Endeavor. The slight bulge for more grip needs some getting used to. The wooden portion looks odd to me.

Drive
When you initially accelerate the vehicle it does seem more responsive than the Endeavor. The gear change with the cutouts is a bit of a pain and does seem very tight. Engaging sports mode isnt as intuitive as the Endeavor. However, the paddle shifts are much nicer, and easier to use. The traction control is always on unlike the endeavor which you need to control through a knob.

The older one had power and eco mode, but the position of knobs is such that you have to start your car with that mode as its far too awkward to change it later from a layout perspective. The newer one had Power, Eco and Normal modes. Dont know the difference, but the power efficiency does improve significantly with the eco mode.

The ride quality is nice and I felt the engine more refined than the Endeavor. I didnt drive over 90, so dont know the higher speed shifter in the Endeavor may make a difference.

The Noise in cabin seemed much higher than the Endeavor (i could measure between 105db to 110db in regular traffic).

This time I did in the second row, and the roll is quite significant esp. over bad roads or on speed breakers. I am not sure how better or worse was it to the Ford.

Others

The music system (JBL 11 speaker) in the new one is much better than the current system. The front sensors, didnt seem as responsive as in the Ford, but it could be because we were stationary.

Overall, a great package and with its resale value and its low maintenance cost and a great engine, it gets shortlisted to the next round.
Old 16th February 2021, 14:43   #89
BHPian

BMW X1 Test Drive

Did the Test Drive of the BMX X1 SportLine Petrol version

Looks
Overall exterior looks nice to me. The Kidney grill in the white vehicle looks nice (not sure how it would look in a blue car). Space in the front is adequate, and rear is quite nice. The boot space with the detachable cover is quite good.
The seating position is very odd (reminded me of my Wagon R ), while the seat adjustments are all electronic. The wood trim looks nice, the dash touchscreen is small, but looks very modern. Although in the Sport trim, none of these are there, so a bit concerned (as that mught be more affordable). Width of the rear seat is lesser than even my Civic.

Drive
The moment you sit, you realise this is no SUV but a crossover. The seating position is low, the steering wheel is light. Its not necessarily a bad thing, as in city traffic, its probably the easiest to manage. The power in sports mode is really nice and the paddle shift is convenient. The gear shift in eco mode is smooth, but felt a lower power in lower RPM.

Cabin noise is quite high, not as bad as Seltos, but worse than Fortuner and much worse than Endeavor.

Unfortunately, I chose TD at peak traffic times, so didnt do much, so would be TD the diesel engine too. The trims are better in Diesel, so will check it out.

Others
Connectivity is a bit silly with only Apple Carplay and no support for Android Auto. The speakers and sound quality is quite good. AC is fine and the modes and the gear shift are quite nice.

Overall, I am now in a quandry. Although my primary driving is in city and zero off roading, the feel of driving this versus the Endeavor or Fortuner is very different.

The Skoda and VW again have no stock. The Jeep Compass is available for TD next week onwards. But the new Compass is at 36 lakhs, seems overpriced with what it has to offer.
Old 21st February 2021, 00:24   #90
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq vs the others

I did a second TD of the X1 and the fortuner. The driving ease of the X1 and the responsiveness of even the diesel is much better than the fortuner. Unfortunately, the X1 back seat js uncomfortable, it doesn't recline or have enough thigh support. My wife hated sitting in the back. Front seat she felt was amazing. Most of my driving is in the city and occasional long rides. We will be only 4 people most times. So still not very sure. Will check the Volvo xc40 next. I hit another dealer offering test drive of the Tiguain so will try that too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks