Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2019, 21:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

All,

My 9-year old Honda Jazz is running absolutely fine but we need a second car for my wife. I am looking for a mid-size SUV/crossover with a budget of 20 Lakhs OTR.

Here are my requirements -
1> High GC, underbody protection, rugged suspension to tackle bad roads - this is the primary reason for looking for a SUV/crossover

2> Relatively powerful petrol engine. Performance should be at least as good as a Honda City if not better. My usage is only 10K-12K kms per year.

3> Manual transmission. Dont need automatic. Also, the FE and additional maintenance might be a pain

4> Highly reliable, reasonable maintenance - I have been spoiled by the Jazz. In the 9 years of ownership, there has not been a single issue outside the scheduled maintenance. Also, the maintenance cost has been very reasonable.

5> Not too big in size, reasonable turning radius, easy to live in the city.

6> Should be loaded with features as I dont want to do aftermarket mods. Also, I keep the car for a long time and I need the features to stay relevant in the long run.

7> Good quality interiors

8> good safety features - ABS/EBD 6 airbags. ESP disc brakes etc

----------
After considering the current available cars in the market, I think Kia Seltos GTX suits my requirements. I have only 2 issues with the Seltos - <1> not sure about reliability and A.S.S. ALso, the 1.4 turbo petrol engine is not very well-known in terms of reliability etc <2> too much bling - though it looks attractive, it has too many design elements which is not too my taste.

I checked the Hyundai Creta but it was way less features compared to the Seltos and the new car is due in 2020. The new Creta looks terrible to me and not worth waiting for.

Honestly, that's where my options end. I can wait 6-9 months but not more. I was planning to wait for the VW T-cross and Skoda Kamiq but those are not coming before 2021 which will be too late.

I also started looking at a segment higher. I test drove the Compass but I find it highly overpriced for the features. Also, the refinement is not that great.

I also test drove the Octavia 1.4 TSI. I loved the car for the driving position, great performance and premium quality. Among all cars I have seen/driven, this was clearly the best. However, I am not sure if it will satisfy my topmost requirement regarding tacking bad roads filled with potholes and craters.

I checked out the Tucson but it didn't appeal to me with the bland interiors which did not feel premium at all.
The MG Hector and Tata Harrier are ruled out due to the size and reliability/quality concerns.

So, please let me know if I should wait any longer or go for the Seltos? Is there are other car I should be considering?

Last edited by adimicra : 9th September 2019 at 21:29.
Old 9th September 2019, 21:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
All,

My 9-year old Honda Jazz is running absolutely fine but we need a second car for my wife. I am looking for a mid-size SUV/crossover with a budget of 20 Lakhs OTR.
Hey adimicra,

I think the new Suzuki XL6 fits your requirements at least the points 1-5. Not sure about points 6,7,8 though. Also since your budget is 20 lakhs OTR it falls way inside your budget.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 22:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Is there are other car I should be considering?
If rear seat space is not a concern, why not check out the EcoSport? I feel it would satisfy all your 8 points.
Old 9th September 2019, 22:21   #4
BHPian

You want a high GC SUV, powerful petrol engine, manual transmission and rugged suspension. I can think of 2 such cars from 2 very different segments :
1) Ecosport S 1.0: It has everything you want. It is compact but apart from that it has you covered in terms of performance, GC, 6 airbags and features and a tough suspension.
2) Jeep Compass sport plus 1.4 multi air : You would miss on some features though as this engine with manual transmission doesn't come in higher variants but it is one tough SUV with excellent ride and handling. And performance wise it is pretty good if not as good as the diesel counterpart. There is one new thread where someone has bought the exactly same variant.

Seltos is also a great choice and the 1.4 turbo engine is fun too but it's not something I would call as rugged.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hey adimicra,

I think the new Suzuki XL6 fits your requirements at least the points 1-5. Not sure about points 6,7,8 though. Also since your budget is 20 lakhs OTR it falls way inside your budget.
I hope you are not serious. It is almost the opposite of what I am looking in my next car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
If rear seat space is not a concern, why not check out the EcoSport? I feel it would satisfy all your 8 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
You want a high GC SUV, powerful petrol engine, manual transmission and rugged suspension. I can think of 2 such cars from 2 very different segments :
1) Ecosport S 1.0: It has everything you want. It is compact but apart from that it has you covered in terms of performance, GC, 6 airbags and features and a tough suspension.
2) Jeep Compass sport plus 1.4 multi air : You would miss on some features though as this engine with manual transmission doesn't come in higher variants but it is one tough SUV with excellent ride and handling. And performance wise it is pretty good if not as good as the diesel counterpart. There is one new thread where someone has bought the exactly same variant.

Seltos is also a great choice and the 1.4 turbo engine is fun too but it's not something I would call as rugged.
Good suggestion about the Ecosport though it is a segment or 2 below compared to what I am looking at. I did test drive the Ecosport a few years back and I crossed it out due to the following - felt cramped (compared to Jazz), interiors were just about okay nothing premium and the ride quality/back seat comfort was poor. Also, currently, I can extend my budget up to 25L OTR. So, I am looking for something more premium.
I haven't been able to get hold of the Seltos GTX manual test drive yet. Will do that once the initial euphoria dies down. But I am having concerns on this engine from Kia. Has this engine been used before in other cars?

As I said, I don't really need a SUV. I need good ground clearance and underbody protection to tackle bad roads. I am very impressed by the Octavia but I am not sure about this aspect.

Should I look at second hand cars from premium brands? Are there any launches in 2020 which I should wait for?

Last edited by adimicra : 10th September 2019 at 08:58.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

It's a tough choice and one which I was thinking of as well to replace my dad's corolla. I figured 20L would be a good choice but other than Seltos could not find anything else to match.

However now that you mention 25L, I would very strongly consider the Jeep Compass. Yes it is overpriced for the real estate/size but you have to look beyond that. The build quality, solid feel, ride, dynamics everything which cannot tick a box on paper like features or space.

You can even consider the 160BHP 1.4L turbo petrol manual if not the diesel. The pick of the lot would be the diesel.

There are many unsold 2018 cars and most are being sold at 3-4L discounts. I went with a friend to check out a 4x4 Limited (O) diesel 2018 Compass which after discounts is under 25L.

Initially his requirement was space and bigger size but one drive and his decision changed.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you can wait for 6-9 months and like the current Gen Creta, buy it at the transition period with great offers on stock clearance!

I agree with the Ecosport recommendation above. Though technically the car is a segment below, apart from the engine, it has all the bells and whistles. After reading your post, did feel that you are looking for a driver oriented car, hence the engine compromise can be done without noticing. (This will feel as good or better than the JAZZ 1.2 petrol by the way).

As bonus you will save atleast 5 lakhs!
Old 10th September 2019, 15:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's a tough choice and one which I was thinking of as well to replace my dad's corolla. I figured 20L would be a good choice but other than Seltos could not find anything else to match.

However now that you mention 25L, I would very strongly consider the Jeep Compass. Yes it is overpriced for the real estate/size but you have to look beyond that. The build quality, solid feel, ride, dynamics everything which cannot tick a box on paper like features or space.

You can even consider the 160BHP 1.4L turbo petrol manual if not the diesel. The pick of the lot would be the diesel.

There are many unsold 2018 cars and most are being sold at 3-4L discounts. I went with a friend to check out a 4x4 Limited (O) diesel 2018 Compass which after discounts is under 25L.

Initially his requirement was space and bigger size but one drive and his decision changed.
I test drove the Compass top-end diesel along with my family. It didn't work out for me due to the following reaons
1> Performance, ride and handling were top-notch but I didn't like the engine refinement. I am not a diesel person anyways. I probably should try out the petrol model but I hear the performance is not very good and the mileage is terrible. Also, the petrol manual does not have features present in cars worth 1/3rd the price. So, the only option is to go for the automatic petrol. May be I should give it a try

2> A big thumbs down from wife. She was in the back seat and absolutely hated it due to poor thigh support, upright seat, poor visibility etc.

3> Interiors did not feel premium for the price.

I think Compass diesel makes sense for the enthusiast mainly focused on driving pleasure and ability to take on rough roads with ease. For me, I need more of an all-rounder 'jack of all trades, master of none' car which does most of the things reasonably well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
If you can wait for 6-9 months and like the current Gen Creta, buy it at the transition period with great offers on stock clearance!

I agree with the Ecosport recommendation above. Though technically the car is a segment below, apart from the engine, it has all the bells and whistles. After reading your post, did feel that you are looking for a driver oriented car, hence the engine compromise can be done without noticing. (This will feel as good or better than the JAZZ 1.2 petrol by the way).

As bonus you will save at least 5 lakhs!
I think the Ecosport is a decent choice within 10-14L budget but I kind of rejected it for the reasons mentioned above. I think I should be getting a more premium and spacious car with my budget.
One option is to wait for the next gen Creta though the design looks bad from pictures. I think the next gen Creta will be very similar to the Kia Seltos, not sure if there will be any major USP of the Creta over the Seltos (other than brand, A.S.S.) and I don't think it will be cheaper than the Seltos. I am willing to wait but question is why?
Old 11th September 2019, 10:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

I guess there's not much choice since you've also ruled out the Hector, which is a decent option atleast the petrol Hybrid MT. Size wise it's big but not really balky to drive.

Your only other decent choice is to wait for the S-cross to come out with the 1.5L smart hybrid option.
Old 11th September 2019, 15:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, everyone.
I think the Seltos is best for my current needs unless I am willing to wait till 2021 for Skoda Kamiq and VW T-Cross. I don't have much hopes from the next-gen Creta.

I will go for a detailed test drive soon and update about my findings.
I am also planning to look for a entry-level luxury SUV in the second-hand market in the coming few weeks.
Old 21st September 2019, 08:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Okay, my plan to wait for the Skoda and VW SUVs is not going to work out as family needs another car soon. Is it worth stretching my budget for the Tucson?
I already TD'ed the Compass Diesel and didn't find it worth the price because of space, features, back seat comfort, NVH etc. I didn't TD the Compass Petrol because the reviews indicated the performance to be not as good as the diesel and FE would be terrible. I am thinking if Tucson would be a better bet.
Also, Skoda will release the Karoq in Q1 2020 which will be another interesting option but I am not sure about the pricing.
adimicra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 13:06   #12
BHPian

Yeah Tucson Diesel is a great car and would be my pick if you can stretch the budget. Has good discounts going on it reading from the Tucson thread.
Old 21st September 2019, 14:10   #13
Team-BHP Support

May I suggest you the new CR-V, there are 4L discounts on it. You are one happy Honda customer. Whatever you spend now, will sure last you for 10+ years for sure.

If you can manage, I will suggest the CR-V.
Old 21st September 2019, 15:58   #14
BHPian

If you jack of all trades car and petrol only option then you can also check and take a test drive of Innova crysta petrol. Maybe a little big in size but comfort and reliability is assured.
Old 21st September 2019, 18:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
May I suggest you the new CR-V, there are 4L discounts on it. You are one happy Honda customer. Whatever you spend now, will sure last you for 10+ years for sure.
If you can manage, I will suggest the CR-V.
First of all, I started with a 20 lakh budget and as you can see, its already gone to 25 lakhs. CRV on-rad price in Hyderabad is >36Lakhs for the 2WD version (diesel). I am not considering the petrol CRV due to CVT gearbox and mediocre engine. Even with 4lakhs discount, it is well above 30 lakhs. Also, the 120 bhp engine on a 1.6-1.7 tonne car is terribly underpowered. Who would like an underpowered engine after paying >30 lakhs. I am not sure what is the target market for Honda CRV with its current pricing and engine options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Yeah Tucson Diesel is a great car and would be my pick if you can stretch the budget. Has good discounts going on it reading from the Tucson thread.
I just had a test drive of Tucson and came back with some mixed feelings. This is still under consideration and there are some great discounts available. Will share more detailed thoughts soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
If you jack of all trades car and petrol only option then you can also check and take a test drive of Innova crysta petrol. Maybe a little big in size but comfort and reliability is assured.

Innova is huge and an absolute no-no for me. And I don't like MUVs at all even if the car might be the best.

Given my options are not that many, I will like to be flexible here. I wanted petrol as my usage is 1000 km per month and I like the refinement of petrol. However, given the limited options, I am open to considering the diesel as long as refinement and NVH are taken care of. For example, I found the Tucson diesel to be refined enough and the NVH well controlled. At the same time, I found the Compass diesel to be not refined enough for my taste.

Right now, The Octavia and Tucson are in consideration along with the Seltos.

Last edited by adimicra : 21st September 2019 at 18:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks