Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 AT SUV? Ford Endeavour 3.2 vs Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Yes I will be doing multiple test drives to get the feel of both vehicles on the road. I guess Compass would be a clear winner in this department.
Given your requirements, I would suggest a new Jeep Compass 4x4 over a pre-owned Endeavour 3.2 for following reasons:
  • Size: Compass can very easily double up as your daily city drive and highway cruiser, whereas the Endeavour will be a pain to drive in city traffic on a regular basis, more so the 3.2 with it's lethargic gearbox and abysmal FE
  • FE: Compass will be more than twice as fuel-efficient as the Endeavour 3.2
  • Driving dynamics: A monocoque like Jeep Compass is much superior when it comes to comfort and handling, compared to a ladder-frame SUV like the Endeavour

Do note, however, that boot space is not as abundant in the Compass as in the Endeavour (with third row folded down). So, if that is a deciding factor and the Compass falls short for you in that department, you might want to look at a 7-seater.

As for off-road capabilities, the Endeavour outshines the Compass to an extent, given the low-range transfer case, better GC, lockable rear-diff, etc. BUT if I were you, I would not indulge in hardcore off-road activities with a ~30 lac car. For those offbeat tracks you might end up taking during your outstation drives, the Compass 4x4 should be more than capable.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd May 2021 at 14:33.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 16:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Given your requirements, I would suggest a new Jeep Compass 4x4 over a pre-owned Endeavour 3.2 for following reasons:
  • Size: Compass can very easily double up as your daily city drive and highway cruiser, whereas the Endeavour will be a pain to drive in city traffic on a regular basis, more so the 3.2 with it's lethargic gearbox and abysmal FE
  • FE: Compass will be more than twice as fuel-efficient as the Endeavour 3.2
  • Driving dynamics: A monocoque like Jeep Compass is much superior when it comes to comfort and handling, compared to a ladder-frame SUV like the Endeavour

Do note, however, that boot space is not as abundant in the Compass as in the Endeavour (with third row folded down). So, if that is a deciding factor and the Compass falls short for you in that department, you might want to look at a 7-seater.

As for off-road capabilities, the Endeavour outshines the Compass to an extent, given the low-range transfer case, better GC, lockable rear-diff, etc. BUT if I were you, I would not indulge in hardcore off-road activities with a ~30 lac car. For those offbeat tracks you might end up taking during your outstation drives, the Compass 4x4 should be more than capable.

Hope this helps!
Given my requirements, the perspective you shared helps a ton. I have read your ownership reviews and related posts on your Endeavour. It was really helpful and enjoyable. Wish you many more happy miles in your Everest!

Due to the resurgence of pandemic and lockdowns all around, my test drives are still pending. Hope that we come together as a nation in these difficult times to beat the deadly virus.

I shall update this space on my test drive experience as soon as I get to it.
Cruiser_D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 22:05   #48
BHPian

For off road behavior, may be details can be taken from experts who has used them extensively for off-roading. And there are many videos from Anshuman Bishnoi which suggests how each vehicles behave. And if you want hard core off-road vehicles, you can still take up some pajero sport/ SFX, spend couple of lacs to modify it and they will become a hardcore off-roader with decent comfort, all within 10 lacs.

I test drove new compass diesel 4x4 auto and did not like it at all. As many people say, the gearbox is a major let down with no paddle shifters or sports mode. So if you are not much concerned about predictable quick acceleration, compass does the work for you.
THAR has bouncy ride and hard plastics (if that bothers you). Tucson (too old) and VW Tiguan (only petrol) are the other AWD vehicles which can be checked. We don't have a 4x4 SUV, which is competent in both off-road and on-road for less than 40 lacs.

I have not driven Endeavour. How is Compass vs Endeavour in highways? Stability might be better for compass, but which is more engaging and exciting to drive?

Most Viewed