Honda City ZX Petrol CVT 10 9.62%
Skoda Rapid Style AT TSI 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 20:02   #1
BANNED

Replacement for my Toyota Innova

Hello BHPians,

I am looking to replace my Innova 2.5 GX that has run over 2.4 Lakh km in 10 years. The link can be found here (Review: 2013 Toyota Innova Facelift) for the Innova's ownership review.
I will keep the options considered concise and crisp.
This lockdown has really changed my requirements and the considered options considerably.

Requirements:

Fuel - Any
Transmission - Automatic
Daily usage - 40-50 Km
Who will drive it - Only me (44). Hence, low seating wouldn't matter.
Backseat usage - Primarily by my son.
Sunroof - not a must but would be accepted with open arms.
How many people will travel together - 95% times only 3 and occasionally 5.

MAJOR REQUIREMENT IS RELIABILITY.
I guess all these 4 options considered are reliable.

Options Considered:

Budget is 21.5 Lakhs max on road.

1. Toyota Innova Crysta GX Diesel AT
2. Hyundai Creta SX (O) Diesel AT
3. Honda City ZX Petrol CVT
4. Skoda Rapid Style TSI AT

Only these cars are the final contenders in my list. I know that there is nothing much common in these cars and belong to completely different segments.

Options Considered and dropped:

1. Tata Harrier -
Don't want to spend 20 Lakhs and still expect niggles.

2. MG Hector -
A big NO. MG are not proving out to be reliable

3. Tata Hexa -
Same reason as the Harrier.

4. Kia Seltos -
Brilliant car, but I personally prefer the Creta over it.

5. Toyota Yaris -
Don't like the way it look. Prefer the rapid and City over it.

6. Hyundai Verna -
Backseat would be a big downer as per me.

Last edited by Tachyonites : 17th November 2020 at 20:25.
Tachyonites is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:07   #2
BHPian

re: Replacement for my Toyota Innova

Fun to drive - Rapid
Comfort and practical size with lower maintenance - City
Large and easy to maintain family mover - Innova
Pseudo SUV that fits most scenarios - Creta

Just go with whatever your heart says. Or your mind, that works too.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:13   #3
BHPian

Go for the New Crysta. You're probably used to the reliability and comfort of the Innova. The new Crysta will last you as long as your Innova did.
Plus the face-lift is launching next month, which will be another reason to go for it.

All the best!
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your requirements, Honda City CVT seems to be a good option.

I'd have suggested the Innova Crysta also but then what's the point of lugging around 3 rows when you won't use them often?

The new City is poles apart from your current ride in almost every aspect but you'll love the experience.

Also, why are you not considering sub-4m SUVs? There are a lot of good cars in that segment like XUV300 and Sonet.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:32   #5
BHPian

Used suggestions- Fortuner, Endeavor. Recent models (2017+) would still have company warranty.
New- Innova Crysta.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:34   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Fun to drive - Rapid
Comfort and practical size with lower maintenance - City
After driving them what I feel is that the City does a good job in the driving department too. There is not much difference between the driving pleasure of these two cars as both of them would leave you grinning. I am a bit reluctant of the 3 cylinder engine though I know its incredibly punchy. The 1.5 unit in the City is much more refined. All in all, both offer great driving experience and makes this tough decision even tougher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Plus the face-lift is launching next month, which will be another reason to go for it.
Honestly when I first saw the Innova facelift, the first words that came to my mouth were - "Cheee! Whats this??". After seeing more pictures of it, I now love this new design so much. Same is the case with the Creta's design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I'd have suggested the Innova Crysta also but then what's the point of lugging around 3 rows when you won't use them often?

Also, why are you not considering sub-4m SUVs? There are a lot of good cars in that segment like XUV300 and Sonet.
It's just that I am used to driving the Innova and I feel quite comfortable driving it.
Space at the back is a priority and since I am considering the Creta, I have give the sub-4m SUVs a miss.
Old 17th November 2020, 20:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
Hello BHPians,

I am looking to replace my Innova 2.5 GX that has run over 2.4 Lakh km in 10 years.
I know it's not in your shortlist, but since "fuel = any" in your post above, do check out the XL6 AT once before you make the final decision. It seems to fulfill all the criteria you have mentioned.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Maruti XL6 : Official Review)
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:55   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Used suggestions- Fortuner, Endeavor. Recent models (2017+) would still have company warranty.
Not considering used cars at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I know it's not in your shortlist, but since "fuel = any" in your post above, do check out the XL6 AT once before you make the final decision.
I am trying to avoid Maruti due to its build quality (have experienced it in my SX4). Though I like the design of the XL6, its Ertiga under-pinnings deter me from considering it.
Old 17th November 2020, 21:21   #9
BHPian

Well,we are also in the same situation as we are also planning to replace our 2011 Innova with a Diesel AT car due to similar reasons mentioned above.

Though,we are not considering the Crysta due to some reasons but we are considering Creta Diesel AT or Seltos Diesel AT as the replacement for our almost 10 year old Innova.

My suggestion is to get the Creta Diesel AT as your running will 40-50 Kms and since you will be doing the trips rarely with your family or low seating is not an issue,then I suggest you to get sedans like Rapid or City.

City iVTEC would be a best bet as it is quite reliable and easier to maintain as well(we also own a Honda City too,but Diesel version).My dad and myself prefer to drive the Honda City whenever we feel the Innova is cumbersome to drive in the city traffic.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 22:05   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
My suggestion is to get the Creta Diesel AT as your running will 40-50 Kms and since you will be doing the trips rarely with your family or low seating is not an issue,then I suggest you to get sedans like Rapid or City.

City iVTEC would be a best bet as it is quite reliable and easier to maintain as well(we also own a Honda City too,but Diesel version).
I too have noticed that driving a sedan in the bumper to bumper traffic of NCR-Gurgaon is relatively easier than an SUV/MUV. On the flip side, both the City and Rapid are a lot longer than the Creta. Creta with its light steering would be a breeze to drive in such conditions.
Tachyonites is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 22:12   #11
BHPian

None!! Go for a sparsely used 2.8 ZX AT(by sparsely I mean Toyota-level sparsely i.e 40-50k). It's fast, reliable, pretty loaded and ofcourse a Toyota.

Your current budget calls for a segment above these options, any reason you're shying away from...say a compass AT?
Abhi5868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 22:20   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Your current budget calls for a segment above these options, any reason you're shying away from...say a compass AT?
I had considered that option of the 2.8 ZX AT but dropped it as I had a firm decision of not buying used cars - even if they are sparingly used.

Compass on the other hand is not considered. A car like the Creta and Seltos makes the Compass feel terribly overpriced. The other reason is the links of Fiat and Jeep moreover has not proved to be reliable enough to spend 25-30 big bucks on.

Last edited by Tachyonites : 17th November 2020 at 22:30.
Old 18th November 2020, 09:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacement for my Toyota Innova

My pick would be the Creta AT out of the choices listed above. Ideally I would have recommended the Innova again as only it can replace an Innova or at best would have told you to check out the Kia Carnival. But then since your usage has changed and you are not looking for an MPV per see, go for the Creta. Proven and reliable vehicle, fully loaded, has that panoramic roof you want, offers more space than the other choices and lastly has higher GC which is a must in NCR region and also for those occasional highway drives. That would have been my choice out of the list above.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:55   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
go for the Creta. Proven and reliable vehicle, fully loaded, has that panoramic roof you want, offers more space than the other choices and lastly has higher GC which is a must in NCR region and also for those occasional highway drives. That would have been my choice out of the list above.
Hyundai too have prove to be very reliable in India. The plus points of the creta that you have mentioned are a hundred percent true. After driving the 1.5 D, I do feel the difference between it and the older 1.6. The absence of 15-20 HP is definitely felt from behind the wheel. Other than that, the Creta is a brilliant package.
Old 18th November 2020, 10:18   #15
BANNED

Crysta any day, it's more than just a car with many features (Creta). Second choice would have been Creta, but 3 aspects are there where it can't come close to Crysta:
1) Reliability, and hence, maintenance costs and resale
2) Comfort and flexibility
3) Safety, there is a big question mark on Creta too now, with Seltos's results out

As a reliable and supremely comfortable point to point mobility option, nothing comes close to Innova for the said budget. Hence, Crysta any day over everything else. BTW, I too was in same state these days last year. I simply picked up an AT van with a truck engine (guess which one)!

Last edited by VKumar : 18th November 2020 at 10:21.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks