Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 17:24   #16
BHPian

re: Mahindra Bolero or Thar for Mom?

Way to go girl!!! Attaboy...

Here I'm still contemplating to TD the Thar, actually waiting for the AT to do the same.

Please @GTO call her and honour her.

Regards
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:42   #17
BHPian

If Mahindra is listening, they will definitely want to grab the opportunity to user her in their marketing campaigns. Imagine a 60 year old lady driving the Thar, this will definitely grab a lot of attention.
diwa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:07   #18
BHPian

I don't know which car your mom will eventually pick. But just the elation and hope I got from the thread seeing the choices of your mother is beyond words. Our nation surely needs more such mothers if we want to prosper. More power to you and your mother and may your mother get her hands on the deserving car. God bless!!!

My vote goes to Thar. In your case, it matches the stature of the owner.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Bolero for the hard top, otherwise Thar all the way. It is more comfortable ergonomic and spacious compared to the cramped interiors of the Bolero. Mechanicals are also a generation newer in Thar, so if you can manage to pull the strings for delivery and stretch it to the hard top variant... nothing like it.

Regards to your mom, awesome to see an SUV lover in her and the very best to her on her new endeavour.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 19:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
She has kind of zeroed in on these two for some reason, last thing I'd want is to spend the moolah and still have an unhappy parent !
Very true. Better spend a couple of lakhs more now, than endure a lifetime bombardment of "I told you so"!

Do let us know what you chose finally, along with an ownership review by the lucky owner.

Good luck!
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 19:50   #21
BHPian

I suggest you to get the Thar over the Bolero.

And yes,my mom,whose age is 50,also loves to drive the car,especially the manual transmission car.She everyday drives the Honda City to her workplace,which is 25 Kms up and down.But,since the COVID,I've been using the car more than her whenever she is working from home.

She used to drive a Maruti 800 till 2013 while she also drove the cars like Swift(our old car and brother's car as well),Innova(our present vehicle),Dzire(family friend's car),Zen(cousin's car),Celerio AMT(cousin's car),Vento(our previous car),Tigor(cousin's car),Qualis(our old car),Ford Ikon(our old car)and Honda City(our present vehicle).

Except Celerio,the cars she drove are Manual.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 18th November 2020 at 19:54.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...... last thing I'd want is to spend the moolah and still have an unhappy parent !

All the more reason to consider the AT with a Hard Top. Are you financing the vehicle? If yes then it will be a very small amount in the monthly EMI.
If you're buying it outright, I'd still suggest go for a finance option so that it won't be a burden for you and your mom can have a vehicle she can cherish for a long time.

You wouldn't want to be in a situation in a couple of years where you look back and think that you should have got the AT and Hardtop.
Old 18th November 2020, 21:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If you can somehow stretch the budget to the AT variants of the Thar - this would be a no brainer choice for her. Considering she is 60 plus, MT cant be a keeper in the long run, especially the rough Bolero.

Whereas the Thar AT is going to keep her smiling for a long time to come.
Mom isn't a fan of automatics at all, as per her she feels like a computer is driving the car. She used to be a pseudo drag race driver back in her medical college days, so you get the affection for a manual and the utter disdain for an automatic
armaan_singh is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 22:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Mom isn't a fan of automatics at all, as per her she feels like a computer is driving the car. She used to be a pseudo drag race driver back in her medical college days, so you get the affection for a manual and the utter disdain for an automatic
Thar all the way ! A nice commanding view,better looking interiors. No one will mess around specially being a Thar and most importantly your mom being a drag race driver
PS - Get a drag racer sticker on the rear windshield
Looking forward to the ownership review.
Regards to your mom.

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 18th November 2020 at 22:05.
hareshjethwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like your mom wants only a body-on-frame UV. In that case, Thar over Bolero. Bolero will be a downgrade for someone who has owned & driven a Scorpio.
Quote:
Mom isn't a fan of automatics at all...She used to be a pseudo drag race driver back in her medical college days
I understand, but try getting her to drive both an MT and AT on long test drives. I hear only good things about Mahindra ATs these days.

While my mom was no race driver, she was extremely skeptical about driving an AT. She wasn't open to the idea after having driven a Qualis, followed by an Innova for 16 years. A few months later, she enjoys her Ciaz AT.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The decision is between 2 door and 4 door , is there a need to have 4 doors? If yes then you are out of luck.

I say this because my Wife did test drive the new Thar and while she loved it for sure , it was not capable of taking 5 to 7 people around for work or haul equipment around the different offices she has to visit as part of work. 2 doors and small cabin is not practical for her purpose which her Scorpio has been doing well for the past 6+ years. The visibility is better in Scorpio as well.

So if your mother needs 4 doors and space for people and equipment, Thar is off the list. If there is time to wait, there are some new launches coming up next year including 4 door version of Thar we hear.

On the contrary If 2 door is okay - Book the Thar , it's an easy decision to make and the Mhawk is going to keep her happy, plenty of power.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 01:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Take my advice as a fellow doctor and stick with Thar. Regardless of the qualities of Bolero, it is too utilitarian for a lady professor of a Medical college. I mean no offence to Bolero owners. I am saying this just in this specific context only.

New Thar (v3) is an urban lifestyle product, shall age well, keep your mom attracted to it (one mod/year starting with Jeep grill) and will also not look out of place in a professional's parking of an academic institute (I believe her social circle will remain same in that medical college)
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 09:09   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Bolero or Thar for Mom?

Most definitely the Thar! Let her turn into a senior citizen in style. Recommendation = red colour, hard-top and AT are a must. You have such a cute Mum - only the best variant & gearbox for her.

When I read the thread title, my response was "none", but then saw the opening post which speaks of her driving a Scorpio and loving these kind of cars . Make your Mum read this thread too.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 11:13   #29
BHPian

Sorry, I don't have any advice on Thar vs Bolero except that the latter is a much older car.

This thread just keeps getting better and better. I just wanted to say your Mom is super cool. When I read the title of this thread I was like what?
First of all, driving a Scorpio and wanting nothing less than a proper SUV at 60 is something else... Kudos to your Mom. And now you say she was kind of a drag racer back in college. I'm sure not many of our Distinguished members here can flaunt that claim.

Whichever car she chooses, please have her write an ownership report, like so many others have already requested.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:10   #30
BHPian

As an update to the Original Post : Me and mom had a long animated discussion on the Car, and we are going to book the Thar 6 seater AX ( Soft Top Diesel MT). She had no idea about the variants, but after we carefully examined all of them on YouTube and other platforms, the following was her rationale for picking this variant :

1. It had to be a Diesel manual, as mentioned earlier she hates automatics and doesn't feel connected to the car at all.
2. She will be spending most of her time at the village in the hills, so a variant with too many high end electricals and gizmos was neither feasible in case a repair is needed and neither desirable given the nature of the humble college she was going to teach in, she would rather that the Thar looked like a utilitarian jeep as opposed to a flashy 15 lac car with too much bling. She has chosen the brown color which she thinks blends into the trees
3. She needed the 6 seater variant because at times she might be ferrying more than a few people to and fro from the college given the scarcity of vehicles in the area.
4. She is somehow convinced that Saregama (the ones who launched the Caravan music player with 5000 preloaded Hindi songs) are soon launching a similar music player in the form of a car stereo where old Hindi songs would keep playing on their own, so she didn't want a car with a pre-installed infotainment system least of all one with Android Auto and Apple Car play.
5. She wants a soft top because the air is much cleaner in the hills and she wants to keep the roof off, also as per her that's what the Jeep experience is all about anyway.

I have called a friend whose brother in law works in Mahindra, to see how quickly we can get it into our garage, will keep you all posted with further details as and when the process moves forward.

And yes the 10 year old Scorpio with 158K on the Odometer will now be joining my dad in Amritsar, as do all our cars after their validity expires
armaan_singh is offline   (33) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks