Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Bolero or Thar for Mom?

Hello again folks,

This time I have a rather interesting topic on which I need your advice.

My mom is turning 60 next month, and that's a milestone indeed and I've thought of gifting her something special.

But first a little prolougue : Mom currently drives a 2010 Scorpio, and given the NGT ruling in the NCR, it reaches its end of life this December.
Mom wants another Mahindra Car, but not a Scorpio again, she has also rejected the idea of owning either of the XUV brothers or their little cousin the KUV.

She is retiring a few days before her 60th, and has agreed to spend half the month at a village college near Dharamsala to teach the kids there as part of the "doctors beyond barriers" initiative, which means the upcoming purchase would be driven extensively on village roads in the hills. Though 4WD will pretty much never be used.

So coming back to the car, Mom loves her SUVs and is a big fan of cars like that look like the Thar but recently she had a chance to take a TD of the Bolero as well and she found that also pretty good. Much more utilitarian however the ergonomics were a little off, for example the clutch was far too raised in the car.

In the case of the Thar only the AX variant comes in my budget and wait times are not a concern as a close friend works with Mahindra and he says he can arrange either car within a week, we are looking at either cars in the Diesel Manual Avatar.

Would really love any advice on picking between the two from Moms perspective.

Thank You all.
armaan_singh is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:41   #2
BANNED

re: Mahindra Bolero or Thar for Mom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
So coming back to the car, Mom loves her SUVs and is a big fan of cars like that look like the Thar but recently she had a chance to take a TD of the Bolero as well and she found that also pretty good. Much more utilitarian however the ergonomics were a little off, for example the clutch was far too raised in the car.
Definitely Thar over Bolero any day!!

The new Thar is definitely a lot more upmarket now and offers goodies like touchscreen and auto ac.
Bolero on the other hand is decades old now and looks a bit boring too. Thar feels solidly built.
The reasons for you to consider the Thar over bolero are many, naming a few -

1. Much better, newer and fresher design.
2. No comparison between the equipment levels as the Thar just trumps the Bolero on this.
3. Much more powerful engine and a slicker gearbox.
4. Ease of driving is a lot more in the Thar and can couple up as one's daily driver too

Hope this is of help.
Tachyonites is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thar any day if it is no more than a 2-3 people carrier. Plus the far better interiors. The only thing I'd think would be a bit off would be the high step to get in but I guess she is used to these vehicles so should not be a concern.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Your mom should start a youtube channel so our moms can "like, subscribe and hit the notification bell"!
androdev is offline   (154) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:52   #5
BHPian

Its the new Thar.

The only problem is the current waiting period for Thar. You may take a look at pre-owned Jeep Compass.
shashi792 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the Thar hands down if no more than 3 people are to travel in it, it is much better than the old Bolero now. Both Bolero pickup and the regular Bolero are a common sight in rural areas due to their fuss free, low maintenance and load carrying ability, so the Thar is a better bet for exclusivity.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't know the new Thar, but old Thar is definitely not for senior citizens unless one is used since childhood. May be ok for short distances but a big no for long journeys. I think TUV 300plus might be a good option if size is not a concern. Also do note Thar AX bookings have been stopped and as I know is available AX(opt) and above.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

What a cool Mom you have to drive the likes of an SUV. You should definitely go for the Thar as it looks better and more upmarket than the Bolero which is more utilitarian. Do get extended warranty as this is a freshly baked product. The upside of the Bolero would be that it may be more readily available than the Thar which will have a significant waiting period.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 14:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Your mom should start a Youtube channel so our moms can "like, subscribe and hit the notification bell"!
Forget that. She needs a honorary team bhp membership so we can see her thar ownership thread in full glory!

See what I did there
Red Liner is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would really love any advice on picking between the two from Moms perspective..
If 4wd isn't a requirement, how about the TUV300? It's more well-appointed than the Bolero, but not as expensive as the Thar.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 14:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...My mom is turning 60 next month......
Advance wishes...

Quote:
Would really love any advice on picking between the two from Moms perspective
If 4WD isnt a must (like you said) you may also want to plonk in safety in your perspective. Nexon or XUV300 with airbags all over may be a wise choice considering the roads and hills the car may see. They are equally good off-the-regular-road'rs and modern and safe too.

Mum is Mum, no compromises!
Old 18th November 2020, 14:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Advance wishes...

If 4WD isnt a must (like you said) you may also want to plonk in safety in your perspective. Nexon or XUV300 with airbags all over may be a wise choice considering the roads and hills the car may see. They are equally good off-the-regular-road'rs and modern and safe too.

Mum is Mum, no compromises!
For my mom XUV300 and Nexon are just small cars on big wheels, if we didn't have a budget she would gladly go for the Isuzu pick up truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If 4wd isn't a requirement, how about the TUV300? It's more well-appointed than the Bolero, but not as expensive as the Thar.
She has kind of zeroed in on these two for some reason, last thing I'd want is to spend the moolah and still have an unhappy parent !

Last edited by Eddy : 18th November 2020 at 15:31. Reason: Merged
armaan_singh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Truely a T-Bhpian mom who deserves a "distinguished" badge

Thar is a no brainer, especially the new one is better in tech and in every other aspect. So my vote goes to Thar. Only place where Bolero perhaps scores would be more practical space compared to Thar(two seater+boot only). I hope that is not a deal breaker.
rajshenoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 16:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

Wow, I could not believe my eyes and read the title of the thread twice. I have a 2012 Bolero LX 4WD and a 2014 Thar CRDe and I love both. But it is easier to drive the Thar. The new Thar is a much improved vehicle and the Bolero has not changed much since launch, I think it will be better to go for the Thar.
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 16:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the case of the Thar only the AX variant comes in my budget.
If you can somehow stretch the budget to the AT variants of the Thar - this would be a no brainer choice for her. Considering she is 60 plus, MT cant be a keeper in the long run, especially the rough Bolero.

Whereas the Thar AT is going to keep her smiling for a long time to come.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks