Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 19:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fortuner or XL6 as a reliable family car?

If you are using the six seats, do you really want a two airbag car? I'd say this is the XL6's dealbreaker.

The Innova, Fortuner, Marazzo, Carnival, etc all suit your heart and head better, since you are not too price sensitive.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 19:21   #32
BHPian

If you want a VFM beater car, then XL6 will do justice but if you don't mind shelling out more, then Crysta is the one to go for. It also would look good in your stable. But if your heart says Fortuner, and you are determined to have one, now or later, then may be you can take an XL6 now and the new Fortuner later. We Bhpians give a lot of importance to our hearts along with our minds when choosing our cars. After all, for most of us an automobile is an emotion, and not just a means to ferry us from point A to B.
Old 5th December 2020, 19:38   #33
BHPian

Please don't buy any Maruti product with zero safety rating. You are planning to ferry your family around, do you want them to be unprotected in a tin can? The ideal car would be a Hexa automatic, but I guess it is currently not on sale. A marrazo or an innova would be a far safer option. A fortuner is extremely bumpy in the third row, take a long test drive before finalizing
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 19:56   #34
BHPian

If your budget is flexible, then why don’t you look at the new MG Gloster. Though it’s yet to prove its reliability, it’s a very good proposition IMO. Also, the XL6 has a decade old 4 speed automatic gearbox, and I don’t feel that the last row of seats are usable for adults. As for the Fortuner Facelift, I don’t think there’s much of a difference as compared to the current model. Also as GTO has suggested, a Carnival is also a good proposition but it surely can’t handle the abuse a Fortuner or an Innova can
So according to me, go for either of these three:-
1. MG Gloster
2. Toyota Fortuner
3. The face-lifted Crysta
Old 5th December 2020, 20:30   #35
BHPian

If I had to choose an MPV, I would go for the Innova over XL6 any day.
If you prefer an SUV with butch appearance and road presence, but don’t mind to sacrifice comfort on last row go for the Fortuner.
Old 5th December 2020, 22:07   #36
BHPian

XL6 simply does not belong in your garage.

Then there's the whole issue of crash-testing, safety etc, regarding which Maruti has a poor track record. You do not want to put your family in an unsafe vehicle.

Fortuner isn't the most comfortable; buy it only if you really really want it, because for your requirements the following cars are more apt:
  1. Innova Crysta -- comfortable, extremely reliable
  2. Kia Carnival -- extremely comfortable. Should be reliable, but verify this from people who know more about this
  3. Mahindra Marazzo - suits your requirements, cheaper than the above two options, and has 4-star GNCAP crash rating (Mahindra Marazzo gets 4 stars in the GNCAP crash test). A nice workhorse.
Stay away from European SUVs because extreme reliability is your requirement, although I hear reliability has improved. They would also have been a better fit in your garage.

Having said all that, if you have the budget consider the XC90. It has 7 seats, and might even readily replace one of your existing cars.
Old 5th December 2020, 22:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
VW Tiguan All Space - VW is giving the extended warranty. The automatic is the best in the business. Good engine and decent reliability. Wont look out of place in your garage
Definitely this option.

There is a brand new ownership review that has just come in our forum as well -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ew-upkeep.html (My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep)
Old 6th December 2020, 00:06   #38
BHPian

Hmmm... interesting question. I hetherto thought these are mutually exclusive events i.e. People who consider the Fortuner won't consider the XL6 and vice versa, simply because of the devide the size of the Pacific between the class the two cars belong to, be it affordability, brand image or build quality.

But all analysis aside, I just see 2 key lines for decision making -

if I do go with an XL6 right now, we'll just get a fortuner when it's time to get rid of one of our other cars.

So the Fortuner it is... as the XL6 is clearly not satisfying all present and future needs and/or wants

But the caveat is this requirement -

HAS to be 3 row (Not looking for a 5 seater, definitely needs to be atleast a 6 seater)

Hope all six occupants are not full size adults. Speaking from my limited experience as a passenger in the second and third row seats in a Fortuner, the second row seat is stricly for 2 avg built adults if you do not like rubbing shoulders with co passengers. And someone my height ( 5'9") will be sitting knees up in the third row which might not be comfortable on the longer runs. If these aspects are not a dealbreaker, the we have a Winner! Else, all the best!

Will not suggest the Innova, since I have a feeling it is not cutting it for you, as far as the purpose-aspiration-value triangle is concerned.

P.S.- I would have suggested to wait for the Marazzo Auto, as test mules have already been spotted. But your need to get the car within a month makes this option a non-starter.

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 6th December 2020 at 00:15.
Old 6th December 2020, 07:52   #39
BHPian

Other than the fact that the long wheelbase and the ground clearance on offer relative to said wheelbase on the Carnival make it not much better than a sedan over the giant speed-breakers and potholes that so cheerfully proliferate our roads, the Carnival is by far the top choice.

It completely blows the Innova out of the water. But you MUST take a test drive of the Carnival and check the GC/Wheelbase aspect out for yourself.

Otherwise the Innova makes a solid second choice. Despite being a 2WD MPV, that thing can seriously go places in the right hands - the point being that city/highway/rural imperfections won't trouble you. Sorry for banging on about this, but given your current garage and the state of Indian roads, that's what sticks out to me most prominently - forget the nonsensical worldwide crossover and cars as digital appliances trend; Indian roads make higher GC a purchase point (and hence high-riding, dynamically poor Crossovers make sense - this is just a digression; the Innova obviously isn't a crossover, and at least the ride quality is decent). *shrugs*

While mid-size ladder-frame trucks/wagons are nowhere near as un-liveable on-road as a small wheelbase Jimny/New Thar (yeah, I said it), and they can be used as daily family vehicles in not just reasonable, but high comfort these days, the Fortuner is by far the worst of the lot when it comes to ride quality (the lot of mid-size truck based SUVs, that is). There are other options in the segment that could do the job of ferrying family in comfort and style VERY well, but they don't satisfy one or the other criteria laid down by you. IMO buy yourself your dream, butch 4x4 separately. Not for ferrying your family around.

The XL6, while well-packaged, remains a Maruti, i.e., a flimsy bread-box on wheels spawned from sheer capitalist greed, government apathy and consumer illiteracy - which no one who understands safety/knows better should touch with a barge pole. Not to mention, that antiquated 4 speed AT.

I'd say pick between the Carnival and Innova - the Carnival is highly unlikely to trouble you reliability-wise (hasn't been in the local market 2 years, so I've used "is highly unlikely to" instead of "will not") - should be at least as good as Toyota in the long run. Other than confirming the Carnival GC issue, pick between the two based entirely on your preferences after seeing the 2 vehicles PROPERLY - you can't go wrong with either.

And remember, don't take anyone's word for it (even mine about the Fortuner above, for instance) - Test drive, test drive, test drive!

Last edited by Mu009 : 6th December 2020 at 08:03. Reason: Corrections
Old 6th December 2020, 08:32   #40
BHPian

Please do revisit the Endeavour. The suspension and driving feel are leagues better than the Fortuner's. When driving sedately or pushing it. You may feel it's slightly underpowered but honestly, I felt the same way with the Fortuner. I owned the 3.2 Ford and have now driven the 2.0. It's definitely less power, but the low end feels as good, and I didn't find any issues cruising on the highway between 100-120. Beyond and you feel the weight, but honestly, the 3.2 wasn't a massive burner after 120 either.

You get a much more connected feel when driving it than with the Fortuner. And if long highway runs with some fun driving is the plan there's nothing better.
Old 6th December 2020, 08:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

It’ll now be interesting to see what the OP thinks or where his heart is set out to.

An interesting question has seen a fantastic perspective of responses and should be able to get the OP solve this dilemma.

Dumdum- Very curious to now see what your plans are.
Old 6th December 2020, 11:43   #42
BHPian

It should be a Crysta AT instead of a Fortuner. Fortuner is a great car and you can get that itself if you want to fulfill your 'wish' of owning one.

But taking into consideration the factors like Proper 6 seater, better ride comfort etc. , it is better to get the Crysta instead of a Fortuner. And the XL6 needs to be ruled out considering multiple aspects and moreover your S-Class needs a capable partner in the garage.

If you have some time to play with, wait for the upcoming Gavitas and BS6 Hexa as well. Specifically HEXA is an unbelievable all rounder.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 12:22   #43
BHPian

Though I am not an expert in car reviews or having driving experience of various types, sizes and capacities; I would like to share some preferences as an user.

Due to professional requirements we travel a lot in various types of roads-good highways, terrible roads, world's worst roads like Gurgaon, no roads, and travels in himalayan roads-Lahaul & Spiti, Uttarakhand etc. We always prefer the Innova and in recent times the Innova Crysta. During lockdown we had to travel Gurgaon-Aligarh, Gurgaon-Lucknow many times. The hired Innova Crysta can always take the no-road, broken road, knee deep water etc. On 19th or 20th Aug this year entire Gurgaon was under water. But our Crysta was such a reliable vehicle, it could pass through all those roads under 2 feet of water. Crysta easily takes us through huge under construction industrial plants and highways, bridges, flyovers. And the turning radius of earlier Innova and even this new Innova Crysta (new Crysta dimensions are bigger) is very tight. It's a bliss to have Crysta in service in such demanding situations.

Note: It's purely user experience- mostly in professional front, and some personal trips in Himalayan mountain roads.
Old 6th December 2020, 16:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Like everyone else stated the Crysta goes more in line with your garage.

Imagine having to drop your guests in the XL6 (No offense to the owners).
But having a S-500 and XL-6 doesn't seem to go together. Also the Crysta will last a lifetime and take all the abuse your drivers or someone else throws at it.

Most ministers, MLA's, celebs are seen ferried around in Innova's. I take it, It will do the job well on all aspects.
Old 6th December 2020, 17:32   #45
BHPian

If it really had to be one of the two, then Fortuner, anyday. I think by now we are all familiar with the kind of build quality that msil offers in most of their cars, and the xl6 is honestly ( no offense to any xl6 owners ) incomparable to the Fortuner in terms of sheer build quality. The difference in quality is just gargantuan. Then there are other factors like the brand value of the Toyota badge, the image of the Fortuner itself etc

If it doesn't have to be one of the two, then I would suggest the Crysta. All factors considered, as a people carrier, nothing quite comes close really. There's a reason why the Crysta, which costs many times what the original Innova was, still manages to sell decently. You have the Toyota brand to back it up, and with it comes reliability and no-nonsense dependable aftersales.

If I had to pick between the Fortuner and Crysta, excluding all other factors like off-roading capabilities, the price difference etc etc and only considering the fact that you have to carry 6 passengers comfortably, it would be the Crysta anyday. Especially with the facelift bringing updates that should've come a long time ago, like Android Auto/Carplay ( considering even some 5 lac cars have it now ) it has pretty much completed the package.

Last edited by SaiSW : 6th December 2020 at 17:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks