Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Which AT Compact SUV for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Looking forward to your suggestions on the same. Also, kindly excuse if I have missed to point my requirement accurately or list down the relevant details accurately.
Looks like your query came just in time for all the Auto channels to answer, in addition to TBhpians

4.5L is a steep price to pay, or save! (depends which side you look at it)
In addition to the technicalities already discussed above and through the channels, just check with your risk appetite as well! (Coming from an owner of Nissan Kicks 1.5 D)
Diesel_Drives is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:59   #17
BHPian

Between Magnite and Sonet,I would recommend the Sonet only if you are going for Diesel AT.The Diesel AT in Sonet is way much better than others like Nexon and XUV300 and even felt better than the Seltos due to being lightweight.Even after being aware of Hyundai/Kia issues and crash test result,I still recommend you the Sonet only if you are going for Diesel AT.Not that I love the car,I felt that Diesel AT is the best one in the segment,where AMT Diesels like Nexon and XUV300 can't even match that combo.

If its Petrol,then go for premium hatchback like Polo GT TSI only if A.S.S is not a concern for you and I won't recommend the AMT's as my cousin had a bad experience with the transmission in his 2015 Celerio.

But,I won't recommend buying the Brezza due to its old 4 speed AT and it became too old as well.
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Not to undermine fans of the Sonet, but I rejected the Sonet for certain specific reasons when I was scouting for a C-Suv last year:

You would be much better off with the Magnite/ Kiger, or the other alternatives mentioned above. At the very least, you will save a potful of money and get a solid value for money car at the same time.
Beats me why people even ask if they should choose a Sonet over Magnite. Tope-end dual-tone Magnite CVT is 11.15 L (O.R.) in my town. Top-end Sonet DCT is almost 16 L. Over 4.5 L difference is huge on 11-12 lakh rupee cars and it works out to 40 per cent extra on Magnite's price. Plain rip-off.

Even in performance, I found Magnite CVT super smooth and jerk-free which I can't say about Sonet DCT. Didn't drive Sonet DCT but I drove Venue DCT and I'm sure both are the same. Also, Magnite is 4-star rated in safety. Don't know about Sonet.
pgsagar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:28   #19

I test drove a Magnite and a Kiger back to back. The first with the CVT and the second with the underpowered NA engine and an AMT. In the city, even the latter isn't bad, especially in sport mode. The Magnite CVT was really good - smooth and responsive.

I loved the Kiger's interiors and design more, but the baffling lack of safety features is off-putting.

Since I'm moving from a segment lower, I might not be best placed to comment, but I find the comments around Magnite's poor finish or high NVH surprising. The test car I drove was quiet even in the midst of traffic. The plastics are hard and the build felt light as compared to a Hyundai, but everything seemed to be well made and there was nothing off-putting about any part of the car other than the tiny rearview mirror.

I'm planning on booking the Magnire despite the near 4 month waiting period
vishys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:07   #20
BHPian

[quote=Vasanth;5013707]Between Magnite and Sonet , personally I would go for the Magnite
Reasons to pick Magnite :

3. 4 star safety rating

I don't think there has been GCAP test for the Indian car hence not sure about this rating. I could be wrong but still personally I feel the Sonet is more sturdier than Magnite. Well perceptions change and I would hold my own here since I own a Sonet
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:12   #21

Nissan India have confirmed that the car tested in the ASEAN NCAP is made in the same plant and is the same as the one sold here. There's a good thread around this topic:

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/nissan...old-india-safe

and the video makes for a good watch as both front and side impacts were tested. Despite the lack of side or curtain airbags, the Magnite did well on the side impact test.

While I was looking at the AMT Nexon earlier due to the 5 star safety rating, this was sufficient to convince me to jump ship for the CVT Magnite
vishys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:00   #22
BHPian

If I would be in your position, I would buy either a Magnite / Kiger, and most probably a Magnite as I feel Kiger is a bulked-up Kwid. I have driven the CVT version of Magnite and the Magnite CVT is a good car for city usage and occasional highway trips with good safety ratings. Instead of investing an additional 4.5 L on a Sonet, I would rather save that money for FUEL. With that money, you can run the magnite for approx 50-60K KMS.
igemini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

We have been speculating Nissan will shut shop since years. Honestly, not sure if it's going to happen any time soon. So maybe you should worry less (not saying don't worry).

Also, suggest you buy a car you think is right and tugs your heart. You have to feel good about your choice cause you will live with it. Rest has been said in a lot of detail already and you have a short list already.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No point buying a Vitara Brezza today when its all-new next-generation replacement is coming in 12 - 18 months. The car also feels old & outdated. Not recommended when the OP wants to keep his purchase for 10 years. These are the kind of mistakes that lead to selling a car early & taking a big depreciation hit.
Agreed, I was just choosing between the choices OP mentioned. I personally don't think Sonet is worth the money Kia is demanding, not a bit. 15L+ for a CSUV is overkill, even with the Diesel AT they offer. And lower variants have a very weird feature distribution.

If someone has the money to stretch till 15L, we have many more options to look at. Maruti 4 speed AT is ancient but reliable. If not Brezza, may be S Cross or even XL 6 is still a good option. If one is ready to cross shop for other body styles, we have very competent Sedans in Rapid, Verna, City with proper automatic in similar price range too.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:28   #25
BHPian

OP, I'm in the same boat. My current ride is an Ecosport 1.5 TDCI and I'm struggling to make a choice between SCSUVs and CSUV that feel like an upgrade. Test drove all the cars you listed and some more (Compass, Seltos, Creta). Barring the Compass (which I felt was overpriced and beyond my budget), none of the cars came close to making a great impression. The Sonet diesel felt good but I've settled on waiting it out for the launch of the Kusaq / Taigun before putting 16 big ones on that car.

Last edited by throttlehead : 3rd March 2021 at 17:29.
throttlehead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:33   #26
BHPian

1. If it is diesel AT, Sonet wins hands down. There’s no competition here since Sonet is the only car that offers a 1.5 Diesel and Torque converter combo in the CSUV segment.

2. If it is petrol AT, Magnite CVT is the all-around car among Venue DCT, Sonet DCT, and Kiger CVT. With Magnite you save ~4.5 lakhs and you could use some money to customize the interiors

While the CSUV segment is getting crowded, there is still scope for manufactures to enter this segment with the right engine/gearbox combination.

Wish we had the following cars available in the market

• Honda WRV 1.2P+ CVT / Honda WRV 1.5D+ CVT
• Tata Nexon 1.2P+CVT / Tata Nexon 1.5D+TC
• Mahindra XUV300 1.2P+CVT / Mahindra XUV300 1.5D+TC
• Ford Ecosport 1.5D+TC
• Ford Freestyle 1.5D+TC
swoosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:56   #27
BHPian

The modification on the Magnite makes it look like it belongs to an upper segment. While the Magnite is still a great VFM package, the drawback is with a cold response from their Service advisors. At least in Bangalore, there was no response for enquiries or test drive after request for almost a week. Also, the recent price hike is just a reminder of things to come, given the sudden spike of bookings.

For potential diesel option, Mahindra Xuv300 with DCT or TC, if offered, could be a great contender.
karavadi143 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:57   #28
BHPian

Magnite is the flavor of the season whereas you are looking at an evergreen offering, good enough to make you a proud owner for a decade.

Magnite is excellent as a VFM vehicle no doubt, but the problem of being the flavor of the season is that the next season may bring on buyer's remorse - which can be avoided.

Well, all you have to do is to wait a few months(no, not forever!) and several new launches will make it clear whether Magnite or Kiger can indeed withstand the test of time, even though it is a mini test period.

In any case, I old school enough to say that it is better to wait for 6 months to a year after a launch to allow any niggles or major faults to surface. Recalls are good, but they can be pain too, from my personal experience. Depending upon what the recall is for, it can even alter the nature of your car.

Besides, after the hype and excitement of a launch dies down, the picture always becomes clearer.
Tarrodie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
The others don’t have their refinement and plush feel for sure though. It’s all a toss-up. I’d actually say look at the Rapid and Polo which seem like stonking value today but for older folks they may not be as high (for ingress/egress) as desirable. Maybe wait for the new launches in the coming months?

One comparatively less exciting option would be the S Cross. Same petrol engine and gearbox as the Brezza in a nicer package imo.
I don't see any interesting options coming soon in the SC-SUV space, apart from the Citroen, which for sure will be priced at a premium; and the Vitara Brezza, which I doubt will have a good TC / CVT box.

I never quite liked the S-cross. Also, we're lookign for a Sub-4m car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Also considering you are going for an automatic, do you really need a pseudo SUV? I understand that it gives a better view of the road, but with an autobox taking care of the gears, do you really feel like you need that view in order to aid your driving? I would suggest looking into the premium hatchback segment instead and saving other road users from having their view of the road ahead, blocked
Like I mentioned in my opening post, the car is also for my parents and hence the requirement is a higher seating; not necessarily a SUV. But none of the good hatchbacks offer higher seating. Even the 3rd Gen Swift has lower seating compared to the 2nd gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If you can wait, the Tata HBX might be an interesting choice that is both VFM and safe, although buying a Tata in the first year of launch is a gamble too.
I had considered the HBX, but the fact that TATA is launching that with AMT compelled me to give it a pass. Also, I doubt TATA will launch that with a DCT, if at all they plan to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
My experience with an AMT Brezza was horrible, but Nexon is a different ball game, even in city mode. In the sports mode it is
I have driven the Nexon AMT & didn't quite like it. I know not all AMT's are the same; but somehow I don't consider them in the league of automatics. No offence to anyone owning one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
In addition to the technicalities already discussed above and through the channels, just check with your risk appetite as well! (Coming from an owner of Nissan Kicks 1.5 D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Between Magnite and Sonet,I would recommend the Sonet only if you are going for Diesel AT.The Diesel AT in Sonet is way much better than others like Nexon and XUV300 and even felt better than the Seltos due to being lightweight.Even after being aware of Hyundai/Kia issues and crash test result,I still recommend you the Sonet only if you are going for Diesel AT.
This by far is the biggest USP for the Sonet. The Koreans have seriously nailed it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishys View Post
I loved the Kiger's interiors and design more, but the baffling lack of safety features is off-putting.
Totally agree with you. I too test drove the Kiger NA and found it decent. But the lack of safety features in Kiger for a premium over the Magnite is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
We have been speculating Nissan will shut shop since years. Honestly, not sure if it's going to happen any time soon. So maybe you should worry less (not saying don't worry).
That is another dilemma. This is exactly what I mentioned in my opening post. Nissan's future is India is still not so clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
OP, I'm in the same boat. My current ride is an Ecosport 1.5 TDCI and I'm struggling to make a choice between SCSUVs and CSUV that feel like an upgrade. Test drove all the cars you listed and some more (Compass, Seltos, Creta). Barring the Compass (which I felt was overpriced and beyond my budget), none of the cars came close to making a great impression. The Sonet diesel felt good but I've settled on waiting it out for the launch of the Kusaq / Taigun before putting 16 big ones on that car.
IMHO Kushaq and Tiguan are definitely worth the wait. I would definitely prefer the Germans here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karavadi143 View Post
While the Magnite is still a great VFM package, the drawback is with a cold response from their Service advisors. At least in Bangalore, there was no response for enquiries or test drive after request for almost a week.
This is a pan-India problem with Nissan dealers. Seriously wonder how will they cope with the service part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
In any case, I old school enough to say that it is better to wait for 6 months to a year after a launch to allow any niggles or major faults to surface. Recalls are good, but they can be pain too, from my personal experience. Depending upon what the recall is for, it can even alter the nature of your car.
Fully agree here. I have had my fair share of learnings of buying a freshly launched product.
Old 3rd March 2021, 22:42   #30
BHPian

I've been using a Venue SX + Dct 2019 model and covered 31k kms. All the cars we currently own are automatics, ranging from torque converters to CVT to Dual clutches. The sole reason I went for Venue is for its 1.0 litre turbo motor mated to DCT combination. And the handling is much better than any other Hyundai's I have driven in the past. I must say the looks grew on me later and I'm very pleased with the purchase and performance.

Since I own a CVT and DCT, I'll mention my brief view on both. CVT is best and smooth option for city limits ie. speeds upto 80km/hr. No lag, no actual gears for shifts to happen . Hence seemless in performance. And very smooth. It's here the DCT falls behind. For speeds up to 50km/hr, the DCT is slightly slow to respond. Too many gearshifts for it to be in the right power band. Lag and jerks might be there. But when you hit open roads you'll thoroughly enjoy the 1.0 litre turbo and DCT combination for speeds north of 60km/hr. It's simply effortless and brisk. And the current Venue has paddle shifters on offer too. Something I wish to retrofit in mine because I thoroughly enjoy the manual shifts in my DCT out on the open road. Here the CVT strains. You'll have to bear the engine whining continuously at a higher rpm and wait for the needle to climb. So with this, if your purpose is primarily city or low speed commutes I feel CVT is smoother and if it's DCTs I wouldn't advise if it's for bumper to bumper traffic. If you've a lot of highway trips, go for the DCT with 5 year warranty and you'll enjoy that motor.

We did consider magnite for our garage and was impressed by its striking looks. However it's the sheer Economy sort of feel from the driver seat that put me down. What you need is there but it's not plush, or well calibrated and you'll feel you're driving a vehicle from a segment below even though they claim to be in same segment as Venue in comparison. I was pretty annoyed by the steering not returning to its centre position after a U-turn especially. But then again you're paying only so much and it is a really good VFM product at the end of the day. Sonet had the hype for first 2 months. And now it's regarded as over priced. And in that regard, Venue is positioned well for now.

Last edited by littlebrother : 3rd March 2021 at 22:50. Reason: Correcting the typos
littlebrother is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks