Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 22:22   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Innova or Alcazar - In search of a comfortable "Big" car

DPF clogging in city use is a bigger issue with the smaller BS6 diesels that rely purely on exhaust temperature and pressure to burn the accumulated soot. Engines with the Adblue/urea injection fare better. Innova in particular has an additional button to manually run a cleaning cycle. So yes, I’ll say your fears of DPF are a bit exaggerated. Still, a new diesel Innova or Safari should theoretically have less DPF clogging issues than a new Creta or Alcazar.

Coming for a history of Fords, it is obvious that you’ll find most cars lacking in the handling, steering feel and high speed composure departments. The Innova Crysta is is not the last word in high speed manners but is acceptably stable within its limits. Certainly better than many pseudo premium 10-20L sedans. You should give it another go.

Appreciate that you see the benefit of going to pre loved way.

As a happy Hexa owner myself, I’ll strongly suggest that a low running pre owned Hexa is your best bet. Especially the top end with the captain seats. There is no car under 40L that is as spacious or comfortable. The vehicle itself is rugged and reliable with generally sorted mechanicals and top notch part quality. Yes the 19inchers are a pain to replace in terms of options. You either have the lousy stock MRFs or high end Pirellis that cost 25k apiece. Just before the lockdown, I got a new set of Triangle tires, stock size for 10k each. Initial impressions are very positive, much quieter and grippier than the MRFs.

Second choice should be a pre owned Innova 2.8. Even if the car you buy is a bit older than you’d like, 10 years is still a long time away. And that anyway is the full life of a new diesel car for us Delhi guys. So, take the win!

Fortuner is a strict no-no for anyone who is objective and looking for back seat comfort.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 31st May 2021 at 22:27.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 00:17   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
TATA HEXA (Pre owned)
Although I don't speak well about Tata every day, but this one has actually faced injustice in our market. My statement may offend many Harrier or Safari owners, but they both are nowhere as well appointed a package as the Hexa is, in all fronts - be it ruggedness, comfort, or practicality. Hexa has been a very nice product let down by poor marketing and slightly inconsistent quality

The 2.2 is a reliable workhorse, well proven. No excessive electronics, and the ride quality is phenomenal in every manner, it simply dismisses the road undulations. But you need to take care of it a bit, some minor flaws will be there, you will have to live with them - it's indeed a rewarding car to own. I know guys from both ends, the ones who just don't want to sell theirs, as well as the ones who want to sell theirs - but, none of the two hate it. You may like it, or be neutral about it, but it has nothing to hate about. It's a simple, no nonsense, calm and sober SUV, dressed as a van. Note this down, other than the length of front overhang, it has the SUV traits with the kind of rugged chassis, front suspension, stupendous wheel articulation, sublime ride quality.

This pic was uploaded by me only in another forum, and it's my favorite - it gives a clear idea of what is the difference between then fake/pseudo SUVs, Vans, and how the suspension of a real SUV works:

The perfect 7-seater SUV / MPV under 25 lakhs-tatahexarearwheelarticulation.jpg

Quote:
Toyota Innova Crysta (2.8 Pre owned)
Hexa offers ride and more torque on paper, Crysta ZX 2.8 offers you the brute power and finesse. Hexa gets better ride, Crysta gets better seats, Hexa feels solid, Crysta is luxury biased.

But, the 2.8 is a proper truck engine pulling a van. It does that speed at 2000 rpm, which I am not allowed to mention as per the forum rules.

Quote:
was losing it’s composure. I lost confidence and dialed down my speed. I surely want to check the Tire Pressure on this car (I don’t suspect the Wheel Alignment due to less KMs) but BHPians please pitch in here. I’ve driven the Previous gen Innova and never faced this issue. Maybe I should drive an another Innova Crysta ?
What you have observed is partially true. Crysta is tighter than Hexa and previous Innova, the empty car has a bouncy rear, particularly when you cross 'bigger than normal' rumble strips as well as poorly constructed expansion joints at higher 2 digit and lower 3 digit speeds. You can easily feel that the rear is losing the line, but it doesn't.

Older Innova was softer, so is Hexa, they will feel better doing this at 100 kph, Crysta will do it better at 25-30% higher speed - simple mechanics.

Quote:
Safari (New)
Bring this in picture only if you want the panoramic sunroof, else it's nowhere close to the above two in both comfort and utility. I read that you take bicycles with you for a 1000 kms trip too.

Quote:
New XUV 7oo (New- To be launched)
Worth waiting

Quote:
Innova (2.4 GX Auto)

-Concerns over DPF clogging
Already perfectly addressed by Shreyans.

Quote:
Alcazar (1.5 Diesel/2.0 Petrol) (New- To be launched)
No offense to Creta owners, but with the above two being in consideration, bringing this one into picture is like asking a Tibetian Mastiff Dog to play in the cage of Lions, just because it looks healthy, has long hair, and strong jaws.

When the car is not as much capable, and has nothing comparable to offer in terms of comfort too, one needs the features to keep themselves involved.

With the two on the top, Crysta and Hexa; you will confidently plan even a Himanchal and Leh trip, with Safari or Alcazar - you won't feel as much confident. Coming to city drive, I believe that everything above 4 meter is big, and every car gets its space on the road.

Last edited by VKumar : 1st June 2021 at 00:24.
VKumar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 00:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to drive a Ford Fiesta 1.5tdci – it was a gem of a car.

1. Am I missing any other car on my list ?
I don't think you are missing any other car on your list. The only other real competitor would've been the Kia Carnival, which is priced around 30L for the base model. (OTR, Chennai)

Quote:
2. Is my fear of DPF over hyped ? (Spoke to some of my friends driving BS6 diesels – they are not confident yet about their BS6 diesels as their city drives have been minimal during the past year largely due to lockdowns)
Yes, as has been pretty much cleared by Shreyans.

Quote:
3. How good is the handling of the Innova Crysta over bridge joints at above 100 KMPH ? (Could it be an issue with this particular car ?)
For this, although I can't give you much first hand experience, I will say this from the few days I've spent in rental Crystas that the ride is pliant. It does tend to bounce around, but not something that is out of control. It might be a case of higher air pressure or Wheel Alignment. Maybe after the restrictions ease, you could book a Crysta from any self-drive agency and experience it yourself.

Quote:
4. Should I buy a diesel when it’s still available ? (I love the torquey diesels)
Completely up to you. Diesels are more expensive to maintain, but your head might speak over your heart sometimes

Quote:
5. Would buying a Alcazar prove to be an expensive experiment in the long run ? (I’ve huge respects for Hyundai/KIA for what they have achieved in the past decade or so but still this thought lingers at the back of my mind)
I don't think so. Considering the Alcazar is nothing but a 5-seat Creta with 2 extra seats/ a huge boot attached to it, it shouldn't be much trouble. However, as you rightfully pointed out, this might probably be the heaviest car the 1.5L diesel does duty on. Also, with respect to your requirement for safety, this would not be the best.

According to me, your list should be something like this:

1. Toyota Innova - 2.8 (Bulletproof reliability, punchy diesels and most comfortable). Update the system to a newer one with Carplay.

2. Tata Hexa (BHPians swear by it's ride quality and I'm no different)

3. Tata Safari

Last edited by akash_v12 : 1st June 2021 at 00:56.
Old 1st June 2021, 01:38   #49
BHPian

Do give a look at the Mahindra Marazzo too. While it doesn't compete in the class of the Innova and Safari, it is just as comfortable and mighty cheaper too. It's a seriously underrated car that is ignored by everybody (including mahindra themselves). But I strongly feel you wouldn't regret your decision if you go for it.

Additionally, as has been proven, it's a very reliable machine with hardly any niggles reported and paired with captain seats and a frugal diesel, it satisfies your requirements very well indeed.

You'd easily be able to get a new one for about the same price as a 4 year old Hexa which is just absolutely brilliant value proposition in my opinion
sodapop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
As a happy Hexa owner myself, I’ll strongly suggest that a low running pre owned Hexa is your best bet. Especially the top end with the captain seats.

Second choice should be a pre owned Innova 2.8. Even if the car you buy is a bit older than you’d like, 10 years is still a long time away.
Thanks will keep an eye for XTAs. True, 10 years is a long time. Looking at my history, I should be happy if I could the car for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
The 2.2 is a reliable workhorse, well proven.
Hexa is on my list purely because of that awesome AT and ride quality. If the engine is reliable, it can only get better. I agree with your point : less electronics = better reliability.

Quote:
But, the 2.8 is a proper truck engine pulling a van. It does that speed at 2000 rpm, which I am not allowed to mention as per the forum rules.
Now I'm really tempted. Please DM me the number.

Quote:
Older Innova was softer, so is Hexa, they will feel better doing this at 100 kph, Crysta will do it better at 25-30% higher speed - simple mechanics.
Why would a firmer car need higher speed for better stability ? I'm not able to get the point here. Could you please elaborate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post

1. Toyota Innova - 2.8 (Bulletproof reliability, punchy diesels and most comfortable). Update the system to a newer one with Carplay.
That is given. Can't drive around without Carplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Do give a look at the Mahindra Marazzo too.
Would have definitely considered it, however it's lacking Automatic option which is a must for me.
Old 2nd June 2021, 01:04   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The perfect 7-seater SUV / MPV under 25 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
I recently plonked 22 big ones and got myself a mid variant of the Harrier. I was also considering safari, but due to sparingly used 7 seats, which I dint need, I went for the Harrier. Every time i look at Harrier, from inside the house or the terrace, or parked on the side of the street, my heart is full of happiness. This is one good looking car. Yes Toyota may last longer, but at the end of a decade, maybe there wont be any buyers for a diesel SUV. Yes, there are kinks in it's armor, but, you will forget that once you sit behind the wheel!
Quote:
Please listen to your heart. Can you stand the ugly looking Crysta? Or would you love to sit in the drop dead handsome Safari.
Neither is the Innova trying to be a SUV nor is it going out to win a beauty contest. It’s use case is pretty well established in the 15 years that it has been on sale. A pretty strong statement then ‘ugly looking’. It was and is still a MPV at the end of the day. The price at which it sells makes it compete with the so-called SUVs, yet the so-called SUVs are FWD whereas the Innova is a RWD, in sticky situations we all know who will find it easier to get out irrespective of what ESP modes are there. Looks are subjective to different people so let’s leave that out of context. You may find the Harrier very good looking, I do too; but no need to diss the other in the process.

Quote:
The drab, boring interiors of Innova, are not as inviting as sitting behind the wheel of the brute Safari.
First of all, the 2021 Safari is no longer a Storme or Dicor to be called a brute, it’s nothing but a Harrier XL. Both Innova and Safari 2021 can be slid into without climbing into them. So even the 2021 Safari is not that inviting compared to an Innova. Again interior design is subjective to the viewer.

Quote:
In the past one month, vehicle has been good, no niggles. munches bad roads or no roads, like it's nothing. Bangalore's non existent roads are not my concern anymore.
No doubt the Harrier and Safari flatten roads beautifully and have a really composed ride. But at the same time an Innova at 50,000kms will still feel a lot more newer than a Harrier/Safari which have covered 50,000km. Regarding niggles it’s pretty well documented in the Harrier thread. A used 2.8L Innova at 50,000kms will just have completed it’s run-in period and at the same time it’s performance will leave others in the dead.

Innova is expensive no two ways about it, has lesser features than it’s competitors. Competitors which are selected more on the basis of price bracket than use case. The 2.4L engine is not winning any prizes in the power department also. No doubt then Safari/Harrier have stronger engines, more features and of course the looks, but at the same time Innova’s strengths are much more than it’s faults; (faults in the sense high price, less features, etc.) excellent space, good ride quality if not the best, RWD, trusted mechanicals, excellent after-sales, lesser electronics so fewer failures.

The heart may find the Innova ‘ugly’ but at the same time the head will always remain at peace.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 2nd June 2021 at 01:10.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
1. Am I missing any other car on my list ?
2. Is my fear of DPF over hyped ? (Spoke to some of my friends driving BS6 diesels – they are not confident yet about their BS6 diesels as their city drives have been minimal during the past year largely due to lockdowns)
3. How good is the handling of the Innova Crysta over bridge joints at above 100 KMPH ? (Could it be an issue with this particular car ?)
4. Should I buy a diesel when it’s still available ? (I love the torquey diesels)
5. Would buying a Alcazar prove to be an expensive experiment in the long run ? (I’ve huge respects for Hyundai/KIA for what they have achieved in the past decade or so but still this thought lingers at the back of my mind)
Hi vaasscit! You've penned down your requirements really well, and since you've been spoiled by Fords, I'd recommend you to give the pre-owned Endeavour a second thought. You've rightly mentioned that the second row comfort could be better (due to the high floor), but it is extremely competitive in every other criterion you're looking for, especially the 5-cylinder 3.2. A pre-owned Hexa or Innova Crysta 2.8 are also great choices, as discussed earlier in this thread. Just that finding a mechanically sound Hexa and a low-mileage Crysta is a task. The cars missing from your list within the set budget are a new MG Hector Plus(if you can get over the Chinese pedigree and sloppy handling) and a pre-owned Mahindra Alturas G4 (that I don't recommend due to maintenance woes in the future, owing to Ssangyong's misfortune).

Quote:
Although I don't speak well about Tata every day, but this one has actually faced injustice in our market. My statement may offend many Harrier or Safari owners, but they both are nowhere as well appointed a package as the Hexa is, in all fronts - be it ruggedness, comfort, or practicality. Hexa has been a very nice product let down by poor marketing and slightly inconsistent quality.
I couldn't agree more! The Hexa is actually more accomplished, engineering-wise, and there's little to fault it as a product. Too bad Tata didn't get its ducks in a row and give it the marketing and ASS support it deserved.
RoverX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Looks are subjective to different people so let’s leave that out of context. You may find the Harrier very good looking, I do too; but no need to diss the other in the process.

First of all, the 2021 Safari is no longer a Storme or Dicor to be called a brute, it’s nothing but a Harrier XL. Both Innova and Safari 2021 can be slid into without climbing into them. So even the 2021 Safari is not that inviting compared to an Innova. Again interior design is subjective to the viewer.
Hi sorry if I hurt you, but I meant no disrespect to any current or prospective owners, but it is only my opinion that Innova is ugly.

The huge front grills, the puny looking tires compared to the bulk on the sides and the unremarkable rear. When parked a few spaces away from my Harrier, I see it everyday and. Wonder why the van looks so bad, when they could have come up with a better design at that cost, and this is my opinion and wonderment.

Even the OP in his opening post has mentioned the looks of Safari as a plus, so, I thought it may matter to him. There may be hundreds who love the chromed Innova, the huge grills, I have nothing against them. GTO to lot of other forum members have spoken about the oddball design of Creta, so I don't see why I can't call out the looks of Innova.
For me the looks and design of the vehicle does play a major part in deciding my car, so I just put in this thought for OP to consider. If you are spending a bomb, may as well want to admire the looks of it, if the OP does not think of it as important, he may and will very well ignore my comments.
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
We still plan to keep it around for urban duties owing to its endearing ability to squeeze through the tiniest of gaps and narrowest of lanes. With the family growing in age as well as size, as well as the addition of a couple of members, we have decided that it is prudent to upgrade to a 7-seat SUV or MPV.
We considered similar options when we went out to buy a 7 seat SUV/MPV. Though we decided we would not buy the Crysta because we already have had 2 Innova’s before and decided to go for the Fortuner, We ended up buying the Crysta The Crysta is a really beautiful MPV and a very comfortable one too. Though i’ve heard the new 2.4 AT is more sublime than the previous 2.8 AT. I personally didn’t like the Safari. One my dad’s friend bought one and even he himself has mixed feelings about his car.
If you can find a good 3.2L used Endeavour then it will be a good VFM car and you’ll adore it. The Fortuner just doesn’t feel good to drive and the car wobbles and has bumpy ride which will cause a lot of issues in the city.
I’d say the Crysta or the Endeavour to you. If you want a MPV then the Crysta and if you want a SUV then the big Endeavour. Both the cars can run 10+ years and you will have a trouble and fuss free experience with these beauties.
Cheers!

Last edited by navin : 15th June 2021 at 16:39. Reason: entire post quoted
speedfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 17:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
REQUIREMENTS:
Budgetary constraint: Cannot extend beyond ₹ 25 lakhs OTR. I'm open to both new cars as well as well-maintained used examples.
While the third row of seats is going to see occasional usage, it will still be occupied by adults. So it has to be moderately accommodating and comfortable.
We plan to keep the vehicle for at least a decade, so it must be reasonably future-proof (gimmicky gizmos like wireless charging pads notwithstanding). This is the reason I'm eyeing the top variants of most cars on my consideration list. Also, we're not big fans of sunroofs, given the weather in Mumbai.
Good interior quality would be really appreciated, both in terms of form and function. Our i10 has one of the best interiors in the segment for its time (except for the beige dashboard) and they've held up really well over the years.
Preferably one with a diesel engine. I'm aware that the fuel prices have practically negated any economic gains of owning a diesel vehicle, but I am a stickler for a powerful and torquey turbodiesel motor. Also, convenient as they are, I don't care for automatic transmissions. A good ol' manual 'box with a strong turbodiesel engine (I'm still open to considering one, though).
The car must ride well, be safe, well-built, and be dynamically sorted. While it is unreasonable to expect big 7-seat cars to be great handlers, it must exhibit safe and predictable behaviour sans any nasty surprises.
Reliability and peace-of-mind are really important. We acknowledge that the maintenance costs today would be significantly higher, owing to the increased complexity of the machines, but I have neither the time nor the energy to tend to frequent unsolicited service station runs.

Each of your requirements added upto CRYSTA in my head

The 2.8Z AT is a delight under any circumstance, and might even satisfy the enthusiast in you. I say this having owned one for 4 and a half years myself. The AT Gearbox might disappoint in kickdown accelerations, but it trumps where it really is required- Cruising and comfort. Moreover everything feels fairly luxurious, doing the job of having your family comfortably on board whilst being quite premium too.

You'll find lot of early examples (2016-2018) well below the 20 Lakh mark, and I know since even I recently sold mine. Do consider it.

Cheers,
Arnav612
Arnav612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 19:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
We will finalise the decision to purchase after the pandemic situation subsides (hopefully), and by then, there would be newer vehicles to consider, like the Hyundai Alcazar and the Mahindra XUV7OO. We'll definitely revisit our choices then, but it would be a great help if the awesome crowd here could weigh in on the choices!
Hyundai has priced the Alcazar really well IMHO, but has expectedly goofed up on the variant-to-equipment spread! I continue to be flummoxed by the automakers' step-motherly treatment to the 7-seat variants in this segment, be it the Alcazar or the Innova Crysta. I'm pretty sure there is a huge unmet demand for the top variants of these vehicles in 7-seat guise, but they're compelled to settle for the Platinum / VX trims, instead!
RoverX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 06:19   #57
BHPian

The perfect 7-seater SUV / MPV under 25 lakhs

Ah ha!
This segment is my unicorn! The one I couldn't get.

Disclaimer- long emotional post.

2 years ago, I was in the same boat. Took a lot of test drives, a lot of advice and had not there been 2 unfortunate incidents( firstly my father's demise- I only realised how great he was after he was gone, fathers are irreplaceable and secondly the COVID pandemic) the innova would have been sitting in the garage of my rented apartment. But I heeded my father's last wish and plonked my savings into buying a house. Now, I am reading reviews of the vitara brezza. Tell me about it. Haha. Life's too short and twisty. But as I type this reply sitting on a soft velvet couch in my plush drawing room- I realise- THE HEART IF OPINED MAY GIVE YOU HAPPINESS. THE HEAD- IF TRUSTED WILL HAVE EVERLASTING SATISFACTION. Do keep this in mind/head wherever.

Anyways sorry for the emotional rant but as you would have guessed, I miss my dad- a lot.

Ok coming to the ponderous dexterity of the choice of options and delivering my fruitful opinion here.

The innova is a winner- somehow whatever you buy, you will always have an innova running circles around your mind. The 2.8 no wonder has the punch but the 10 year deadline is what gets my goat. In the same money you are getting a new 2.4.

The 2.4 in that magic created by the power mode button is something that has to be experienced to be believed. Trust me. I have driven almost all these cars. But the kick and the exhilaration that the 2.4 brought in the power mode is simply- mind blowing. Drove my boss's 530 d last week. And I was wondering when was the last time I felt like a gleeing child- hint-2.4 power. I know it's an improper comparo but just my point.

But- the 2.4 will make you realise;the driver and the driver only; with its dancing gear knob and pedals humming to the tune of the engine and the slight massage of the hands on the steering what speeds you are doing. Every km of it. This is nitpicking but isn't that what we bhpians do. The passengers will be ensconced in luxury. Totally unaware of it all and will be fresh at the end of the trip, every time.
The reliability and ruggedness is in another league.
Not to mention- BOF and RWD.
The Hexa is the sweetest car. It's like that child that does his homework neatly without giving you much to complain. But if I were letting go of 2 million I would rather have it new.

For a detailed comparison of the endeavour and fortuner and innova too- see @pridered s thread. He owns all 3. Plus a Thar. And he writes the truth.

But then the scent of a new car is something so mesmerising. Why would you buy used ones- and have them for 10 years or so.

But they are great cars. T-fort fares better.

The xuv500 has the smoothest engine. But it lacks quality. It is soon ending its life cycle. It is being offered with nearly 2 lakh discount on road now. But it is not wise to get a car ending its lifetime.

Alcazar- a seven seater should have a 2 litre engine or more. Period. No replacement for displacement. The comfort of an unstressed big diesel equals comfort of long ownership as in your case. I would steer clear.

Saving the best for last- being a self proclaimed car guru in my circle- I have the pleasure to be a part of all discussions on what car to buy and deliveries as well.

The Harrier/ Safari is a stellar option. Safari with those chrome bits on grill is eye candy for years.

Plush interiors and a wonderful ride aside- it drives well too.

I was driving my colleague's Harrier which of course I was instrumental in the purchase of, so; I was driving and kept shifting gears at around 1800 rpm since the car was new till I reached the sixth. We were conversing till we realised that somehow we are overtaking everything on road. And then I realised that I was at 2000 rpm, in sixth gear, city mode. The car was flying yet it masked the speed so well and silent engine. Yes the new harrier is very silent below 2500 rpm. I was blown. Unlike the innova which made me experience every increment of the speedo needle, the Harrier just blew me away with the package that it is.
How it holds on down the years is something we all are yet to see but then it's so well put together. If Tata sends you a good one from the factory and this is your luck.
By the way- I tried engaging the sports mode- it glitched/ failed one time out of three. But the way the car drives stress free even in the city mode will not have you reaching for the sports every so often.

To conclude ( long post till now- but didn't you want detailed opinions in the first place); what is beautiful is not fully known in its long term. What is known in long term is not beautiful. And comparatively crude. What is both- costs double or is not virgin. Eventually this decision boils down to head over heart. What makes things excruciatingly painful that you have only one chance to get it right- or else the next 10 years will be spent mulling. Personally if I had the money, I would have bought the innova, upgraded the stereo and speakers, fitted bigger tyres but wait- isn't that exactly what the Harrier offers by default. A difficult decision this is. Very difficult. Gives you sleepless nights. Now you understand why I bought a house.

The cars I didn't mention- don't deserve a mention.

Apologies. But this is my opinion.
Happy hunting.

Last edited by knrn : 19th June 2021 at 06:31.
knrn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 13:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
A pre-owned Hexa or Innova Crysta 2.8 are also great choices, as discussed earlier in this thread. Just that finding a mechanically sound Hexa and a low-mileage Crysta is a task.

I couldn't agree more! The Hexa is actually more accomplished, engineering-wise, and there's little to fault it as a product. Too bad Tata didn't get its ducks in a row and give it the marketing and ASS support it deserved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
2. Tata Hexa (BHPians swear by it's ride quality and I'm no different)
Quote:
Although I don't speak well about Tata every day, but this one has actually faced injustice in our market. My statement may offend many Harrier or Safari owners, but they both are nowhere as well appointed a package as the Hexa is, in all fronts - be it ruggedness, comfort, or practicality. Hexa has been a very nice product let down by poor marketing and slightly inconsistent quality

The 2.2 is a reliable workhorse, well proven. No excessive electronics, and the ride quality is phenomenal in every manner, it simply dismisses the road undulations.

Hexa offers ride and more torque on paper, Crysta ZX 2.8 offers you the brute power and finesse. Hexa gets better ride, Crysta gets better seats, Hexa feels solid, Crysta is luxury biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
As a happy Hexa owner myself, I’ll strongly suggest that a low running pre owned Hexa is your best bet. Especially the top end with the captain seats.
Folks, I've brought home a 2017 MY HEXA XTA (6STR) with 35K kms home today. Drove 500 kms - The Truck felt like a Tank on the highway and the entire family is praising it's ride quality. Strong A/C, Good Noise insulation, Excellent Audio System and MID shows 14.9 Kmpl for 500 kms. With the current fuel prices, this is very soothing

I'm just missing Apple Carplay.
vaasscit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Due to the NCR 10 year rule, I am being forced to replace my Innova which turns 10 in July next year. Its our primary car. What do you upgrade to from Innova - no prizes for guessing - the Crysta!

My question to members here:
- Is the petrol Crysta as good as the diesel? My usage pattern will be similar to my current Innova - 225k kms in 9 years, 80-20 biased towards highways, trips to places like Ladakh, Spiti done regularly.

- Even before that, is it worth spending 22-23 lacs on the Crysta now? What if the next gen comes with a hybrid engine, say in 2 years time? If the chances are high, I can wait for the car. Still have a year before my car is banned from Delhi roads.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I've brought home a 2017 MY HEXA XTA (6STR) with 35K kms home today.
Congratulations on your ride, vaasscit! Wishing you countless more trouble-free miles with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
My question to members here:
- Is the petrol Crysta as good as the diesel? My usage pattern will be similar to my current Innova - 225k kms in 9 years, 80-20 biased towards highways, trips to places like Ladakh, Spiti done regularly.
- Even before that, is it worth spending 22-23 lacs on the Crysta now? What if the next gen comes with a hybrid engine, say in 2 years time? If the chances are high, I can wait for the car.
My guess is the petrol won't feel as effortless as the diesel (even the 2.4, for that matter) in the lower end of the powerband, so driving it in the city could be a handful. But since your running is mostly on the highways, it shouldn't be an issue. This will also bode well for the fuel economy of the big petrol, which isn't great to begin with (especially in the automatic).

I highly doubt Toyota bringing in the hybrid powertrain for the Innova, since it would push the price envelope much further on this already expensive vehicle, thus making it a deterrent. Also, as long as the regular variants keep their cash registers ringing, they'd hardly bother with that kind of investment!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks