View Poll Results: What should I buy?
Kia Carnival Prestige 103 37.73%
Toyota Innova Crysta VX 159 58.24%
Something else 11 4.03%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Carnival Prestige vs Toyota Innova Crysta VX - Which to buy?

Agree with the general sentiment here. While reliability wise they might be close, Crysta is more suited to our driving environment than a monocoque people mover especially given that you are going to use it hard. Crysta is basically a Fortuner/Hilux underneath and they are known to go forever with just basic maintenance even if abused.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you want to stick to only 2 options between Carnival and the Innova Crysta, then Crysta is the way to to - to add to your 3 Toyota car garage!
However, if you are keen to expand this list, then a pre-owned Hexa or an Endeavour might be worth a dekko.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 22nd July 2021 at 09:45.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I took a longish test drive of the Carnival in the city yesterday. Took it to a shopping area to test how easy is it to park, also took it around all the roads we commonly traverse in the city. To be honest, I could drive it around without any complaints. But it didn't escape my attention that I am not the only driver, my wife and sometimes my mom too drives. For them Innova can be a handful at times, driving the Carnival will be a task. So the size is a big deterrent.

The test car in itself was a year old, driven 28k kms and I was impressed by its condition. The interiors were sort of dirty but felt 'tight'; mechanically I didn't sense anything out of place, the tyres had even wear etc. Overall, we so liked the vehicle that we were ready to buy it for use only on highways and city runs where we know the roads well (which would be 70% of our use case). But thinking a bit more, everyone questioned whats the point in spending so much on a vehicle which we can't drive freely. So sadly, had to look away from the Carnival.

Coming to Crysta and after having experienced the Carnival, I feel its overpriced by a huge margin. The VX variant doesn't even get an auto tranny. And Crysta VX actually costs more than Carnival Premium variant (apologies for the error in the title. It should be Carnival Premium variant and not Prestige. Also pointed to by Richie4u). So, we are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The one that we love is impractical and creates doubt, the one that is practical and seems trustworthy, doesn't appeal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Since you are considering the Crysta VX, why not consider Safari XZA+, which has better looks (especially that Adventure Persona variant), and the engine performance of the new Safari is miles ahead of the Crysta.
I had a Safari before the Innova. I like the new Safari too, but the issues reported in T-Bhp about Harrier (same platform) caused me to ignore it.

Last edited by rrsteer : 22nd July 2021 at 12:57.
rrsteer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
So, we are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The one that we love is impractical and creates doubt, the one that is practical and seems trustworthy, doesn't appeal!
I understand the situation. Why not think of XL6 from Maruti Suzuki? It will be easily manageable to being driven by your family members and shall be well within the budget.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:33   #20
BHPian

With respect to rural roads, I’ve seen many Innova Crystas going strong on them without a fuss. In addition to that Innova can travel on the hard agricultural fields soil as well(for instance, when you’re done harvesting wheat and fields are left free for 1.5 months, one can travel on them using any body on frame vehicle). Plus the loading factor, which, again warrants a body on frame vehicle for taking abuse and still being reliable.

So, my vote goes to Innova Crysta as Carnival is only a highway cruiser and will fail miserably here.
sarav100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
The new Crysta is not the same fill it, shut it, forget it type of a car that your 2012 Innova has been. They are just not the same cars anymore, Crysta is not as well built, well put together and the worst of all it does not even ride as well as the older Innovas. The Crysta also now comes with a whole bunch of electronics as compared to your 2012 Innova that have the same chances of going wrong as in a Kia.
Have you faced any electrical issues with your Crysta? I am asking because my friend has a 16’ Crysta the initial batch 17inchers ZX AT and he has completed 2 Lakh kms, without any hiccup other than the tyres initially which Toyota replaced at their expense. And he had upgraded from the previous Gen Innova. He has always told me it is a fill-it, shut-it and forget-it car!

In terms of electronics gadgetry, the Innova Crysta is absolutely obsolete in today’s scenario. No unnecessary electronics are there as compared to the Kia’s electric side doors, bootlid, sunroof, heck Innova still doesn’t even get a auto IRVM, so honestly I don’t really see some electric component failing in an Innova Crysta.

Also the 16inch wheels of the Crysta are close to what the 15inch older Innova offered in terms of comfort, a marginal difference if I must add. The 17inchers in the ZX trim with low profile tyres are a different story.

But if you have experienced any such failure please mention the same.

I would suggest the OP to buy the Crysta eyes closed for the use case mentioned! Also I was offered a discount of 40-50k on the GX AT and 60-70k on the ZX AT last week when I had visited the showroom, so do ask for discounts.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd July 2021 at 10:26.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just sign the cheque for the Crysta and you won't regret it.

Kias don't have a stellar reputation for reliability worldwide. They are decent to good, but not spectacular like Toyota. Kia's long-term quality, reliability, and service response are unproved.

If you were a mall-hopper with long trips and had the choice to buy a Honda Odyssey, this thread would make for an interesting debate.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:24   #23
BANNED

Innova owner will love to get another Innova as a replacement as he/she would be spoilt by it's reliability, Toyota's service standards and the overall peace of mind that the car brings in the ownership. And I am yet to see a Innova/Crysta that is sub 1 lakh kms run car for sale.

I feel Crysta is the best bet for you however good the Kia Carnival is. The Kia can never match the reliability, ruggedness of the Crysta or for that matter any other ladder-on-frame car.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
But, we have been spoilt by the space that Innova offers and ultimately Camry felt a bit cramped. Just couldn't imagine doing a long road trip in a Camry.
Later on, you will be spoilt by the space that Carnival offers.

Quote:
Overall, we so liked the vehicle that we were ready to buy it for use only on highways and city runs where we know the roads well (which would be 70% of our use case). But thinking a bit more, everyone questioned whats the point in spending so much on a vehicle which we can't drive freely. So sadly, had to look away from the Carnival.

Coming to Crysta and after having experienced the Carnival, I feel its overpriced by a huge margin.
When 70% of your use case is on good known roads, then I would say get Carnival.
You aren't a bad user, taking good care of your cars and for this monocoque chassis is enough.
jeygani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:46   #25
BHPian

I voted for the Innova.
I am not sure how narrow the roads/parking space etc. are in the areas you frequent. Or whether you will be driving or be driven around. A colleague here in Bangalore has the Carnival and it looks huge when parked at the office. It is an open and spacious parking lot (like the ones you see in suburban US) and I have seen him a couple of times having difficulty getting the car into the box. The rear still hangs out of the painted lines on the tarmac. I suspect he has difficulty driving it around too.
I don't see a Carnival on the roads in Bangalore that often. If I see 10 white board Innovas on average per day, I see 1 Carnival in a month. Delhi might be different.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
While my head says buy the Crysta, my heart has been swayed by the Carnival (I can listen to my head, more often than I like).
I absolutely understand what your head and heart says. If I were in your situation, I would go by the decision of my heart and pick the Carnival.

In my humble opinion, Innova is very overpriced as a "car", compared to the Carnival. The Carnival feels like an expensive product. Though there is nothing really wrong with the Innova, it feels to me as a normal car. When you buy an Innova, you basically pay for the car, the peace of mind and the Toyota brand's goodwill. Whereas, Carnival charges you for the product, and does not include goodwill or peace of mind . This means that you get "more car" for your money with the Carnival. I might be stupid with the reasoning .

Another reason why I would pick the Carnival is that, I prefer new things to experience. I would not pick another Innova, just because I want to see how another car feels like to own. If possible, I generally pick cars from other brands - we have used Maruti, Tata, Fiat, Ford and VW in the family and just booked a Kia.

On a last note, I had gone on a vacation to South Korea in 2016, when a Carnival was rented for commutes (I did not know Kia as a brand existed). I was impressed with the car immediately, and the impression stays till date! It is a tried and tested car in other countries and what we get here is a world class product - so I would not be worried. On the auto closing rear slide doors - none of the rented cars which we used in Korea had issues with it (we rented one at each location, and had used 3 cars in the trip). It can be manually opened and closed as well, in case battery fails or if the ignition is not turned on.
NotanF1driver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:03   #27
BHPian

My 2 cents.

Carnival is a big NO if you travel on rough roads.

Innova though best in its segment is absurdly overpriced for what it offers.

I would suggest you go for Mahindra Marazzo, usage on rough roads is in their DNA, the interiors are very car-like, a good engine with a good amount of torque, spacious and you will save a good amount of money upfront as well.

Service touchpoints will be way more than Kia, however will never be in the league of Toyota, no matter which car you choose other than Toyota.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:12   #28
BHPian

I would listen to the heart and go with the Carnival. I am pretty sure the family will be happier too.

As for matters of the mind, I think some of what other members have said might be true, but some of it could be speculation too. Would be ideal if you can validate any concerns you have around the Carnival with actual Carnival owners (or go through the Team-BHP forums for Carnival problems).

Very few cars can provide the feeling of moving-up from the Innova, and based on my limited time in both cars, I definitely feel that the Carnival beats the Innova every time you step in.
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
With the introduction of the '10 Year rule' in Delhi, I am forced to sell my very well maintained, and a vehicle I am very fond of - my 2012 Innova. Although it has done over 2.22 lac kms, it runs without a squeak or a rattle.

Anyways, we have shortlisted two cars for our next purchase. Its either a Crysta VX or a Carnival Prestige. For sometime I flirted with the idea of retaining the Innova and buying a pre-owned Camry. But, we have been spoilt by the space that Innova offers and ultimately Camry felt a bit cramped. Just couldn't imagine doing a long road trip in a Camry.

While my head says buy the Crysta, my heart has been swayed by the Carnival (I can listen to my head, more often than I like). In contrast, my mom and wife have fell for the Carnival, hook, line and sinker. But ultimately, cars being 'my department', they have left the decision to me.

Now my question to the wise folks here, will Carnival be the right choice given the following:

1) Like the current Innova, want the next car to do duty for us for the next 9-10 years (bear in mind Carnival is diesel engine only)

2) 9-10 years of ownership would mean crossing the 2 lac mark on the odo. Its not about raking up the miles, but how the car rakes them up. E.g. I don't like the condition of my friends Scorpio that just crossed 2lac kms. He is as devoted to his cars as me, if not more.

3) Innova never visited the service center apart from the mandated scheduled service, can the Carnival approach this in terms of reliability?

4) The Prestige variant inspite of it being the base variant in the Carnival, carries just too many features for my liking. I fear how long will they work without trouble? e.g. imagine the electric motor of Carnival's rear door conking off!

5) My cars are well maintained, but I do put them to hard use, e.g. travelling on cobbled rural roads, no roads, carry heavy load at times, and at the same time expect them to stay rattle free, just like the Innova did.

6) I like an odd-numbered list, but let me add one last point. Servicing a Toyota is a breezy affair. I have 3 Toyotas at the moment, and for each its just a no-hassle, drop the car and pick up the car at the designated time type of a thing. The whole servicing experience, is generally marked by a level of certainty that I just don't get to experience anywhere else, even across other consumer products and services. I don't expect Kia to be Toyota, but given the concession I am already making, how much more is needed or not needed?

PS: In terms of price, believe it or not, both the Crysta and Carnival are turning out to be as costly to purchase. All things adjusted ( e.g. sale of the Innova) I will have an outgo between 18 -19 lacs, should I pick either.

Finally, before I end, if there is any likelihood of Toyota launching a hybrid Crysta by end of next year, I will postpone this purchase.

Before giving my 2 cents, premium is the base variant not prestige. For prestige if you haggle hard the discount is 2.5 and premium it is 3.75, atleast in my place.

My relatives own both the 2.4 mt and 2.8at of Innova and I’ve travelled extensively in both, especially the 2.8. We recently took a test drive of Carnival and came away really impressed.

1. Definitely Innova is time - tested when it comes to reliability. The 2.8 has run 1.2lakh exclusively driver driven and used to transport farm stuff too. As said by many here, there is no rattle and other than routine service not one extra rupee. Carnival is popular in US and very reliable too. It gives a 7 or 8 year warranty there. So if well maintained I think the reliability should be 90% as good.

2. If you travel on cobbled roads more often, though the body-on frame of Innova might weather it better, I would put my comfort over hardiness, and no comparison here. Carnival definitely has superior ride quality. I find the Innova has a lot of side to side movement and ride is busy at all speeds. Coupled with the engine refinement and smoother gearbox you will definitely travel in more comfort in Carnival. Even for the driver it’s a better drive.

3. The prestige model seats are a notch down on comfort compared to Limousine and has lesser thigh support than Innova too because of the high floor. But definitely interior quality is a notch up and space is huge. If you use the 7 seats regularly and need the luggage space for the large family too, Carnival is a no brainier.

4. If you’ve considered Carnival alongside Innova, I’m sure you would have factored the large size during manoeuvring and parking and the added cost too. If you are fine with both I think Carnival is definitely the much better car hands down.

PS : Lastly if you are going ahead with the Innova, why VX and not ZX. If not for other features, atleast for the 6 airbags ?

Last edited by spkrnh : 23rd July 2021 at 15:11.
spkrnh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 17:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova Crysta anyday over the Carnival.

Reasons : (Comparatively)

1. More abuse friendly
2. Better reliability
3. Easier to manage in tight spaces
4. Absolutely superior resale value
5. Less complex mechanicals/electronics
6. Cheaper to run and to maintain
7. 5 lakh km is an easy milestone
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com