Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Kia Sonet GTX Plus 128 49.61%
Skoda Kushaq Ambition 130 50.39%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic Crossover: Kia Sonet topmost variant vs Skoda Kushaq entry variant?

Personally, I would prefer the Kushaq.

Reasons:
1. The Kushaq's Traditional Torque Conevertor will be more reliable than the Dual Clutch of the KIA.
We have seen enough instances of DCT overheating in bumper to bumper conditions already. The internet is 'filled' with such screenshots.
2. Kushaq has more space on the inside, and a larger boot.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic Crossover: Kia Sonet topmost variant vs Skoda Kushaq entry variant?

The Sonet is a great package and looks to be the better option here. The Skoda may be better to drive but if it does not matter to the person driving it then there's really nothing else that stands out.

My biggest concern with the Sonet will be safety and though you have mentioned it will be for city use, if the car is going to see even a little bit of the highway, I would suggest the Skoda. This image of the Sonet's structure with 'zero' use of Ultra High Strength Steel (UHSS) is very concerning. We all know the Seltos barely got 3 stars and the Sonet has even less UHSS reinforcement (none at all!). Link to thread (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta)

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 2nd August 2021 at 10:26.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:27   #18
BHPian

The Kushaq, being from a segment above will definitely be a better bet in terms of space, comfort, driving dynamics, road presence and overall build quality. From the opening post, it seems that none of the above points matter to the buyer. However, factors like ease of driving, safety, reliability and equipment levels matter even to non-enthusiasts.

The Kia Sonet will be easier to drive due to compact dimensions, will have more snazzy features and tech and might also be more fuel efficient. The Kushaq on the other hand will be more reliable- firstly, it has a conventional torque converter auto box, which is inherently more reliable than the Kia’s DCT. Secondly, the EA211 engine family has been powering Skoda, VW and Audi cars since 2012 and more than 3 million cars with various sizes of this family of engines have been sold worldwide; these numbers make me feel that the Skoda will be a reliable car. Yes, it might give occasional niggles in other areas, but then Kia cars aren’t free of random niggles either. The Kushaq at least has a more proven engine and gearbox. I also haven’t heard of any major suspension, steering or brake issues in Skoda cars; the same cannot be said about Kia, unfortunately.

With respect to safety, both cars are yet to be tested, but if I had to put my bets on one, I would say the Skoda is more likely to score well, given their past track record and generally well-built cars. Kia-Hyundai on the other hand are not known to perform very well; If the more expensive Seltos managed only 3 stars, then the Sonet is likely to score the same if not lower.

I would buy the Kushaq over the Sonet as I value space, comfort, practicality, driving dynamics and road presence more than tech and features. I am of the belief that once the novelty of these features wears off, you start appreciating the finer aspects of the car, and this is where a higher segment car fares better. I also perceive the Skoda to be safer and more reliable.

Maybe I am getting old, but whenever I see a feature loaded car, the first thought to cross my mind is more gadgets = more things that will break a few years down the line.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 2nd August 2021 at 19:36.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A friend who isn't a car person asks for advice. We just bought my bhabhi a Sonet GTX Plus that she is extremely happy with. Now, my friend was almost sold on the Sonet too after seeing my bhabhi's car, until the Kushaq's launch. She likes brand Skoda & the Kushaq's design, but isn't one to care about build, driving dynamics etc.

The Sonet's top GTX Plus variant is about 15-lakhs OTR Mumbai and comes loaded with all the goodies (fast turbo petrol, smooth DCT, Bose sound, ventilated seats etc.). The Kushaq at a similar price point (16.5-lakhs OTR) is the Ambition 1.0 AT.

Usage is primarily in the city. Family of just three. She, her spouse & a kid. I think she'll enjoy the Sonet more. What say?
Sonet looks like the better alternative for the mentioned usage pattern. Kushaq is out of the question, since driving feel isn't important. Only thing concerning is the build quality of the Sonet.

Might I also suggest XUV300/Ecosport S/Nexon as alternatives? Each of these provides almost everything the Sonet does, however, are significantly better built. They also cost lesser than Sonet, by around a lakh rupees.
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Just a note = picking the torque-converter of the Kushaq for "reliability" is like going to Afghanistan for a "safe" holiday. The Kushaq is a Skoda after all and long-term ownership will have its own set of headaches. Of course, the torque-converter will be more reliable than the Kushaq 1.5's DSG, but I wouldn't buy a Kushaq for reliability, no matter what engine / tranny combination.
I'd highly disagree with this. The TC in the Kushaq is sourced from Aisin (correct me if I'm wrong) and the 1.0 TSI is a well proven engine. I see no reason why the car should be unreliable in the long run and especially more so compared to the Kia.

The way I see it, the Sonet has more electronics, comes from the Kia-Hyundai family which these days is quite widely known for their notoriously low quality standards and has the problematic DCT.

My suggestion would be to go for the EcoSport AT and if not, then the Brezza AT also makes for a brilliant no nonsense machine

Last edited by porsche_guy : 2nd August 2021 at 20:29.
porsche_guy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:20   #21
BHPian

Just a thought. Would buying maximum Extended Warranty help if DCT is into consideration?
From below URL, one can take warranty upto 5 years.

https://www.kia.com/in/service/kia-o...-warranty.html
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

A rare time when I’d recommend Skoda over something else. My vote is Kushaq + max warranty. Service, with oil changes at strictly 10k km intervals and a transmission fluid exchange much before the recommended interval. (Refer international forums/ask someone knowledgeable)
Quote:
Thanks guys. Just a note = picking the torque-converter of the Kushaq for "reliability" is like going to Afghanistan for a "safe" holiday.
Sorry disagree here. I knew someone who had a Vento AT (1.6 + TC) which he used for 110k km without any trouble. On a Skoda, You need to be lucky that parts like ABS modules, sensors, injectors etc don’t fail when the car is out of warranty.

But knowing Kia’s lack of quality, reliability wise- I can’t differentiate between them.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend who isn't a car person asks for advice. We just bought my bhabhi a Sonet GTX Plus that she is extremely happy with. Now, my friend was almost sold on the Sonet too after seeing my bhabhi's car, until the Kushaq's launch. She likes brand Skoda & the Kushaq's design, but isn't one to care about build, driving dynamics etc.

The Sonet's top GTX Plus variant is about 15-lakhs OTR Mumbai and comes loaded with all the goodies (fast turbo petrol, smooth DCT, Bose sound, ventilated seats etc.). The Kushaq at a similar price point (16.5-lakhs OTR) is the Ambition 1.0 AT.

Usage is primarily in the city. Family of just three. She, her spouse & a kid. I think she'll enjoy the Sonet more. What say?
Absolutely, she will love the Sonet more than the Kushaq. And she should go for it!

Reasons, IMHO:-
* Since she is not the one to care about the dynamics per se, then the Sonet GTX Plus variant with its comfortable interior feature set (ventilated + leatherette seats, slew of USB charging points, BOSE sound, Push ignition etc.) might just be sufficient to take the winner's cheque.

* There's also the practical & useful Sonet GTX Plus' feature set like the front & rear parking sensors along with the lumbar support, auto head lamps, and the sunroof

* Being a family orientation, I think the Sonet GTX Plus' safety features like the anti-pinch windows, day-night IRVM, ESP, fog lamps etc will also appeal quite a lot

* There's also the gender familiarity perspective to be considered. Since your friend has already seen your bhabi's Sonet, and if both have more or less have the same expectations from a car, then your friend will be more comfortable going with what she has already seen someone else owning it!

All said & done, if a person is not into a car for the engineering as such, and if there is a certain price bracket to be considered at - then I would think that the lower priced car's top variant (Sonet's GTX Plus variant) with all its rich feature set will be a better proposition as compared to the higher priced car's base variant (Kushaq's Active/Ambition variant).

Last edited by JoshMachine : 3rd August 2021 at 10:15.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
Just a thought. Would buying maximum Extended Warranty help if DCT is into consideration?
From below URL, one can take warranty upto 5 years.

https://www.kia.com/in/service/kia-o...-warranty.html
There are still two problems:
1. If niggles/failures crop up, then it is the Car owner himself, who has to spend his/her 'time' & 'energy' for getting the fault fixed, by running back and forth to the workshop.
2. What happens after warranty period is anybody's guess.

Warranty can save you money, but what it can't provide is peace of mind.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 09:23   #25
BHPian

Kushaq is for someone who cares about driving dynamics and is very well aware of how VAGs feel compared to their rivals.
In most cases, people care about features and when it comes to it Koreans really fly high.
I’d suggest the Sonet.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:46   #26
Team-BHP Support

On a related note, I saw the red Taigun shots on some social media site, with that bicycle mounted on top. Looks absolutely gorgeous. I’m guessing the rear look with its full horizontal light bar will be divisive but it worked for me. At some point I guess that will be thrown into the mix too on these decisions.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 09:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The Sonet's top GTX Plus variant is about 15-lakhs OTR Mumbai and comes loaded with all the goodies (fast turbo petrol, smooth DCT, Bose sound, ventilated seats etc.).
Not sure "smooth" is the term I'd use for the Kia DCT, especially for city driving. I feel both the Sonet and Seltos exhibit a fair amount of low-speed judder.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:57   #28
BHPian

As the above mentioned comment I would say wait for the taigun if she can.
From what I can conclude is it’s all about features and comfort vs dynamics and safety. None is too reliable .
May be taigun gets best of both worlds . ��
Old 4th August 2021, 09:59   #29
BHPian

Cities with Heavy traffic i.e. Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru I would be wary of buying any DCT equipped Car with the number of overheating issues reported.

Aisin sourced 6 speed AT and EA211 1.0 both are tried and tested. Hyundai 1.0 GDi and DCT are relatively new and yet to prove themselves.

Further Kushaq is a bigger and more comfortable car, perfect for a family of 3.

If it were me I would gone for the S cross AT for the sorted and fuss free combo for the lady.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:00   #30
BHPian

Sonet is definitely not worth the price Kia wants for it, and the reasons are following :

• It’s a C-Suv priced in line with the next segment.
• Its about the bells and whistles, the turbo petrol is an absolute slouch in the city and quite frankly not great after that either. Real world drivability isn’t anything too great much like Ford’s earlier eco boost
• Given the safety ratings of the Seltos this in all likelihood will also be a substandard product when it comes to occupant safety
• Best to stay away from that problematic DCT

Also while Skoda isn’t great when it comes to reliability it will atleast come with option of Skoda Shield to take care of any issues later.
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks