Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 15:10   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Upgrading from a Corolla Altis | MG Gloster versus Used Ford Endeavour 3.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
How is this relevant when looking a a car's credentials? So JLR is an Indian manufacturer masquerading a brit lineage? You have to weigh the pros & cons against the requirements objectively, and not let prejudices and convictions skew that. Whether a car is Korean/Chinese/Indian/Japanese/German/American as long as the car is competent it should be given fair consideration.
It is relevant for me. It may not be for you. I hope you have heard of "to each his own". I gave my opinion. You just highlighted one section of my post clearly ignoring the other reasons given. Gloster 4x4's off road ability is a joke(which was OP's requirement). Not everyone out there wants a mall crawler.

Now to answer your questions, Tata motors isn't developing and manufacturing JLR products in Pimpri Chinchwad or Gujarat. They are still developed with British heritage in UK and not by engineers from Tata. They are still CKDs in India. Unlike MG which was a British sports car manufacturer not a Chinese jugaad SUVs manufacturer. I have driven the hector and Gloster enough to establish my opinion. If a car is competent, the manufacturer need not hire influencers to shut down people who call out their fake British heritage(Chinese reality) and obviously pay reviewers. At the end of the day both the Gloster and Hector are products full of bling with no proven mechanical robustness. Having seen products from cherry and SAIC, I know the reality of these Chinese products.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 6th December 2021 at 15:12.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest nothing but the Fortuner at that budget if you need a 4x4.

Endeavour, while being a supremely capable vehicle will be a big gamble. Finding a well maintained 3.2 is going to be another challenge.
Old 6th December 2021, 16:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Between two, I would have gone with Endeavour eyes shut if Ford was running operations. Popular global product, an engine that's competent even now and a suspension that will keep both enthusiast and family happy. With Ford exit you need to have good relationship with dealer, slowly you will see some of the service centers shutting shop. While wear and tear will come in quickly, other parts will take time. As for car, Endeavour is a reliable unit overall. Fly on the ointment is the 6 speed gearbox. There are numerous reports of gearbox failures and you should look into this aspect when hunting for used one.

As for Gloster, I recently test drove one, has very good interiors, lot of features. Bucket seats are comfortable at back and there is lot of space too. However I did not like the way it drove. Steering lacked feel, suspension too soft for my liking and there was considerable sideway movement. It will make for a good cruising on highway. Other part is, long term reliability is a bit questionable and I personally don't know how it would fare. It might turn out to be a reliable unit too. I am keeping the brand out equation as its upto each individual.

Between two, I would be slightly be inclined to pickup the Endeavour mainly because its better to drive and has proven offroad credentials.
Since you ruled out Fortuner and need a 4x4, other options I would consider is a Compass(if 7 seater is not needed)/Meridian or wait and get a XUV700.

Last edited by PrideRed : 6th December 2021 at 16:42.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodakank View Post
Dear Team BHPians- I just joined the forum and really bowled over by the depth of expertise, passion and most importantly a community that is so driven to help each other!! I am reaching for your advice to buy a 7-seater SUV.
Looking at the current options available and your primary need for a 4X4 seemingly looks for an all family trips in not so good roads, an AWD should equally do the job well for you in my humble opinion, with options like Mahindra XUV 700 AWD, pre-owned Hexa AWD or if a proper 4X4 with 7 seater is a must, I would suggest a Fortuner 4X4 and get the interiors done to your liking if the interiors are something that's pulling you back. The Alturas G4 is a decent buy too but with such low numbers sold and it being an essentially rebadged version of the Ssangyong Motors, which is parting ways with Mahindra, this again is a calculative buy.

With brands like MG, there is always a risk of long term ownership though they seemingly are customer centric now and looking at the way you held to your 2008 Altis, only explains your next purchase would be a long term keeper. With Ford's questionable service for the future, me being a Ford car owner myself would not suggest you to bet huge amount on a pre-owned 3.2l 4X4 though it is fairly reliable, there definitely were some complaints on the 6 speed AT gearbox and you do not want to be stuck in a situation where anything major comes up since it wasn't you who had owned, driven and maintained the car for years before.
Old 6th December 2021, 17:21   #20
BHPian

I would’ve blindly recommended the Endeavour, if Ford had not exited. It’s a wonderful SUV and is worthy value for money proposition. However the price is just too much to gamble on a company that doesn’t exist in India anymore. Alturas would be the same case considering SsangYong bankruptcy and Mahindra discontinuing the model.

If still tempted to gamble, please read this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...support-8.html (Ford India Exit - What should existing owners do? Worried about spare parts & support)

The Fortuner is the safest bet available on sale today for your particular requirements.

I guess you are not looking at MPV/vans as you mentioned Gloster Vs Endeavour, so I assume you have already ruled out Innova and Carnival.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 6th December 2021 at 17:25.
Old 6th December 2021, 17:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
How is this relevant when looking a a car's credentials? So JLR is an Indian manufacturer masquerading a brit lineage?
Sorry for going off topic;
What you said about JLR would be true, if TATA marketed its Safari with a Land Rover badge.
Beta_Blocker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 20:20   #22
BHPian

My heart says - "find less used Ford Endeavour 3.2L 4X4, at-extremely low price, maintain it at some after market shop"
My brain says - "Putting money in Toyota is good sensible decision"

Pure capability wise, 3.2 Endeavour is better buy but if you want to look at other stuff like long term support ( 5+ years ), Resale value, you will be at peace with Toyota.
Old 6th December 2021, 21:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

I feel the Ford Endeavour 3.2L will be a good bet. A used 2016-17 can be bought between 22-27 lakhs. Even a 50k kms run Endeavour will drive as good as new if serviced timely. I suggest you take a test drive and decide.

What you get- Powerful engine, proper 4x4, safety, tough built, comfortable to drive in any conditions, sun roof, good ground clearance, value for money.

The only downside is Ford not fully operational in India. Parts can be an issue in the few years to come, not availablity but time based.

Above from owning a 3.2 since 4 years.

Most of the cars bought now will give you peanuts resale value few years down the line as India will inch to EVs. So no point in spending 40-50 lakhs now and getting 10 lakhs after 10 years. Better to spend 25 lakhs now and get 5 lakhs after 8 years. Do the Maths.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 6th December 2021 at 21:12.
Old 6th December 2021, 22:01   #24
BHPian

Ford Endeavour
* A big no for this one. Only reason being that FORD has exited India.
* Maintaining it and parts availability after 3-4 years may be a challenge.

MG Gloster
* A very good package. Especially if you plan on changing after 5-7 years.
* Since you would use Brio At for city, low turbo lag shouldn't be a problem. Anyways, I don't think these SUVs are for city.
* If you need hard core 4x4, then you may skip this. I'm not sure how good its 4x4 is as compared to Fortuner or Endeavour. I wouldn't count Farm visits and outdoor camping as hard core 4x4, but you would know better about your requirements. I've done outdoor camping even with our Honda City ( mild off roading ).

Toyota Fortuner
* If you need hard core 4x4.
* If you plan on keeping it for 10 or more years.
* If you don't mind dated interiors.

Jeep Commander / Meridian
* If you're ready to wait.
* Jeep is really good with 4x4, however, we are yet to see what Jeep offers on this SUV.
rAijin_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 08:28   #25
BHPian

I really doubt if Jeep’s Meridian will tick the value box like the Endeavour (did). Looking at FCA (Stellantis) ambitious pricing above segment with the Compass , I reckon it might push above the Fortuner.

Even if sense prevails and they match the segment cost, they might cut down on other aspects and hence value compared to the Toyota.

Lot depends on how long you can wait.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:33   #26
BHPian

Given that you would frequently visit farm and need a 4x4 7 seater SUV, nothing matches the Endeavour and Fortuner. Gloster though a great package is not the right pick for the kind of use you have stated. Since you will be frequently visiting farms you'll probably be encountering a lot of bad roads which is just not suited for the MG Gloster's low profile 19 inch tyres. High chances of puncture.

Endeavour 3.2 is a highly capable vehicle but first and foremost finding a well maintained used vehicle will be a challenge. Once that is addressed you have 2 more concerns to address. If you can live with them, go ahead:
1. Availability of spares will be a problem in the years to come.
2. Keeping that beige interior clean is a big pain in the a**

Fortuner: Highly reliable work horse with great off roading capabilities and built to last. Only thing needed is a good set of off road tyres. Since your Corolla hasn't run much, Toyota should offer a good value in case you exchange it for the Fortuner. Only bummer is ride quality and okayish interiors.

However if you aren't very keen on buying the Fortuner, I'd suggest you take a look at the Alturas G4. It's a jack of all trades. As far as what I've heard, some dealers still have limited units in stock with great discounts on them. Get your hands on them while you can.
Old 9th December 2021, 20:56   #27
BHPian

Gloster vs Endeavour - It's the endeavour any day.

Why Endeavour?
1. Gloster is not unique/special in any way. Yes, it is luxurious, spacious, tech loaded - But isn't this the new normal even from the segment below and above?
2. The driving dynamics, off-road capability, build, reliability of the Endeavour are miles ahead of Gloster.
3. The other most important point that most of them did not highlight is that only the manufacturing part of Ford did shut down in India. Ford has a huge back-office operations set-up that is running in India with them just recently moved to an exclusive and stand-alone centre in Chennai.
4. As per my contacts from Ford, the support/service will continue as is and there is nothing to worry about and panic. And since Ford is taking the CBU product route as the future business model in India, it is a MUST for Ford to support the existing customers here.
5. Even after its shut down, there was no price cuts/discounts given to any of the stocks, which in itself is a testimony.

So given your requirement, the Endeavour is THE SUV for you. Provided you get a "good deal" for a "pre-worshipped" car. I even recommend you consider the current 2L engine as well.

Also, there are other options in the launch line-up - Kodiaq, Commander, Tuscon. However, none of these are a true blue 4*4 (if it is a must for you).
I would still consider Fortuner as another option (even though it is a significantly overrated car in India).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks