Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2022, 10:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Keep or sell our Tata Safari Dicor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Hello everyone!

We have a Tata Safari Dicor 2.2, a 2008 model which has given us so much pride and happiness over the course of 14 years with 75000km.

keep our safari or go for one of these options
If Safari is not your primary car, keep it else sell it off. I had kept few safari's right from TCIC to Dicor to Storme. Dicor will give you maintenance issues over a period of time and wont be as reliable with age. If you just want to keep it for weekend fun and occasional drives then it is fine. Getting its fitness done after 15 years is neither a complex task nor its costly (although Govt is increasing fee from April 2022).
If you want to replace it with any other car, take a TD of Hexa and most probably you wont like any other car in the category. It is just perfect and more refined version of storme. Going preowned route is better only if you get a car directly from an owner.
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 10:50   #17
BHPian

I would suggest you to get the necessary repairs done and sell the car off in a better state. Given your run and requirements, it seems you use a 7 seater for long family trips and not for regular daily drive. You've averaged out only about 5k kms a year in a Diesel car. That doesn't justify a diesel mill! Rather I would suggest you to abandon the idea of another 7 seater given your low run and get a good Petrol car for daily use!
For your long family trips, hire a cab or a rent a car.
If you still need a car for personal use, I would suggest you to look beyond and consider Toyota Innova. It does offer a good long term reliability and good comfort.
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Given your requirements and usage pattern, I'd book an XUV700 petrol (variant depending on budget) and keep the safari till the XUV700 is delivered. Even the MX (base XUV700) will feel like a massive upgrade over the safari and at 17L onroad Bangalore (assuming another 50k rise) its great bang for buck!
govindasrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 14:05   #19
BHPian

While I don't own a Safari, I do own a Tata and to me it seems that apart from the issues with the car, you don't have any other reason to sell off the car. Your usage cannot be a reason since your car has just scratched the surface in terms of capability.

Would your car currently qualify as a lemon? How frequently does it visit the service centre? If it is going frequently, get rid of it, by all means. Other BHPians have given good suggestions for a replacement and you can decide based on your requirements. If your car does not visit the service centre often, and you are thinking of selling it only because of the current situation where the service centre is unable to resolve the issue, please rethink. I can tell you of my experience - in 2019 I started having a unique problem where suddenly my car would not start despite cranking. Plus the water in fuel indicator would come on. The bigger issue was that the problem did not recur consistently. 9 times out of 10 the car would start without trouble and then on the 10th occasion refuse to start. It would eventually start after a few tries so I was never stranded, but it was worrisome all the same.

The service centre said it was a problem with adulterated fuel and cleaned the fuel tank and the fuel lines, but the problem persisted. They also checked the battery, fuel pump and starter motor (which were fine) and then replaced the glow plugs. None of these resolved the problem. I visited the service centre thrice and every time my car was kept there for at least a day, if not more. After the problem wasn't resolved after the third visit (when they replaced the glow plugs), I decided to go to a different TASC despite having a more than 8 year relationship with this one from the time that they were a Chevy SC.

I went to another TASC and they diagnosed it as a problem with the ignition and categorically assured me that the problem would be resolved by changing the lock set (made by Minda). It has been 3 years since the lock set was replaced and the problem has not recurred. Hence the learning from this episode is that not all Service Advisors are equally knowledgeable - you should try another service centre if the current one is not being able to solve your problem. It's not that my original TASC did not try to solve the problem or had the wrong attitude - they tried and failed because of inadequate knowledge. Had you lived in Calcutta I could have put you in touch with my current SA who is really knowledgeable. However, other Tata owners in Bangalore can put you in touch with the best SAs in Bangalore, and there are already suggestions on BHPians you can reach out to, so I won't repeat that. Am sure that a good Service Advisor will be able to identify the root cause and resolve the issues. Of course this is applicable only if your car is not a lemon and these issues are a one off - if it is a lemon do get rid of it asap.

Last edited by Neversaygbye : 11th February 2022 at 14:08.
Neversaygbye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 15:05   #20
BHPian

I also have a 2.2 VTT 2012 Safari and am in exactly the same boat as you.
Mine has done 1.25 lakh kms and is showing some signs of wear and tear like the indicators stopped working yesterday.

The problem is what do I replace it with, the resale value will be a little over 2 lakhs and any new car will be for at least 20 L + and will still have to compromise on the ride comfort.
I did not like the new Safari, maybe will check out the new XUV 700 , I am also inclined towards getting a used Hexa AT if I ever get one as the 2nd car.
Then maybe I will keep both.

Looking forward to what your decision will be.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 15:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I am also inclined towards getting a used Hexa AT if I ever get one as the 2nd car.
In your case, things look a little simpler. Replace the Dicor with a Hexa. Your outgo should be about 9-10L. Adjust that with the costs of maintaining both, and possible spares/maintenance issues with the Dicor. You get a vehicle that is as large and better than the Dicor, at half the cost of a new SUV. When you are ready with a replacement you like, you could get a new one.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 17:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I did not like the new Safari, maybe will check out the new XUV 700 , I am also inclined towards getting a used Hexa AT if I ever get one as the 2nd car.
Then maybe I will keep both.
We have new safari and harrier at home. comfort and space wise there is no comparison between old and new safari (its just extended harrier with last minute change in name). Although I do not own Hexa but I have sat few times and drove few times. Its an awesome car and no other car (including Innova Crysta) comes close to its space, comfort and feel.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 23:23   #23
BHPian

Recently, I took test drive of Creta. As compared to my Storme, very high road and wind noise inside the cabin on highway. Relatively, Storme feels very quiet on highway.

No other modern vehicle will match space, comfort, commanding view of Storme/Dicor.

So my advice is keep Safari for highway run and purchase small car for the city commutations.

I'm not against Hexa, but it has high turning radius that becomes cumbersome taking turn on narrow road.

Last edited by IP_Man : 11th February 2022 at 23:35.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 04:49   #24
BHPian

I was in a similar dilemma some 4 months ago about my 2008 Safari 2.2VTT Dicor. The difference was that it had done 1,35,000 KM by then, still in impeccable condition. Sold it with a heavy heart. (My kid still blames me for selling it as he grew up with the vehicle).

Needless to say I bought an Alcazar Prestige(O) 1.5D AT 7seater, since the new Safari felt no VFM any more. Driving happily ever after with no complaints. As a lot of fellow members mentioned, keeping the fingers crossed on how the long term upkeep cost would be for these new generation vehicles. Safari 2.2VTT was easy on maintenance and insurance that way.
sunil_k_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 07:04   #25
BHPian

My suggestion is to keep the Safari and book the XUV700.
mr_robot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 13:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Hello everyone!

We have a Tata Safari Dicor 2.2, a 2008 model which has given us so much pride and happiness over the course of 14 years with 75000km.
====
These are the options we have considered. Please do advise if we should keep our safari or go for one of these options

What about all new XUV700, but you may have to wait for another 11 months to get it delivered.. Since you have an year left on your Safari, so may be you can wait..
In my opinion don’t sell your account old Safari. Get it is licence plate renewed and do a few modifications. That vehicle is pure old gold in the eyes of people who value it. This is just my personal opinion.. you can decide what is best for you..
Kaus2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 15:33   #27
BHPian

1. Safari Dicor was a solid and capable car. By no means the current Safari is an upgrade except for the sophistication, driving dynamics, and looks.
2. 75000kms in 14 years for a diesel car is a total injustice. This means that you don't need a Diesel car at all. Go for a petrol car.
3. You won't fetch a good value if you sell it now. But still holding on to the car more is also not rightful thinking.
4. So better sell it and buy another car. From your choice, Hexa is the best choice. But the challenge is that it is really tough to get a pre-worshipped car.
5. Alternatively, you can try the Innova Crysta and XUV700 (if you are ready to wait).
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 23:19   #28

Your Safari seems clean and well maintained and 75k is very low for a big diesel suv, maybe your running is less I suppose. Since the car is already 14 years old it would be better for you to sell it and move on to something newer rather than holding it. Hexa is a good choice as a MPV with superb ride quality, but availability of spare parts can be a question mark (depends from place to place). Considering the fact that you are also open to used cars I would also suggest to have a look at pre-owned Toyota Fortuner (2014+) or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (2015+) and also the Innova Crysta, if you find a 2.8 Automatic Crysta at a good price, I’ll say pick it up, Eyes closed. Xuv500 is a great choice no doubt but it feels a little bit old, obviously due to the launch of its successor the Xuv7OO. Here’s my suggestion for you, hope this helps.

Regards
Vedant

Last edited by Vedantoyota75 : 21st February 2022 at 23:35.
Vedantoyota75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 18:23   #29
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give you all an update on this thread. We have decided to Keep the Safari for another 2 years and Since the future is Going to be electric, It does not make sense replacing it, after a lot Of thought.

Thanks everyone for the Advice!
arnav17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 09:28   #30

Hi I am also in Same Situation I am Proud Owner of Tata safari Vx top Model 2012 Manufacturing, 92000 Km, Now I want to keep it for 1-3 years, So far it has been great Now started Giving Issues. Online Portal are offering me 2 lakhs for it However My heart doesn't allow to sell it.

My safari got an Issue its engine is Shaking side by side and substantial loss of power i.e. even not able to climb a inclined road. My Trusted Mechanic is not able to diagnose the problem, Any Idea what can be an issue, and anybody recommend a good mechanic in Navi Mumbai Area?. It will be great help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks