Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Keep or sell our Tata Safari Dicor?

Hello everyone!

We have a Tata Safari Dicor 2.2, a 2008 model which has given us so much pride and happiness over the course of 14 years with 75000km.

There have been many issues like the car not starting when cranked and the AC not cooling even though the car has spent almost 10 days a month in the workshop (where it currently is).
Currently, we are faced with 2 questions:
1) Is it worth keeping the safari? We have had issues with spares and trustable mechanics to work on the car and since Bangalore still has no rule of the 10 year old diesel car ban, we are still not sure.

2) If we decide to sell it, which of the following would be better? We are looking for a 7-seater for family trips.

Options considered :

1. Tata Safari 2021
Was the default choice at first, but after a closer look at the car, didn't really like it and it didn't feel VFM at 25L OTR.
Keep or sell our Tata Safari Dicor?-frontleftside47.jpg

2. MG Hector Plus
Loved this car, but a bit of a dilemma about this, considering that there will be a new model this year with ADAS and other features, which we would not like to miss out on.
Name:  mghectorplus8e897b2a.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  28.9 KB

3. Used Tata Hexa
Having had an excellent Tata, it somehow compelled us to go back for another. But not sure about spares so need your advice.
Name:  download 13.jpeg
Views: 1123
Size:  10.9 KB

4. Used XUV500 2nd gen
Personally, I love this car for its looks and features, but not very sure about a 6-year old Mahindra.
Name:  mahindraxuv500facelift01.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  102.7 KB

These are the options we have considered. Please do advise if we should keep our safari or go for one of these options

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2022 at 07:31. Reason: Spacing, typos
arnav17 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 14:10   #2
BHPian

re: Keep or sell our Tata Safari Dicor?

My advice keep it. I sold my Safari Storme in Feb 20 and bought a Hexa. While the Hexa is nice, nothing quite matches a Safari. And you are right about the spares shortage on the Hexa. My Hexa is currently in service with a damaged intercooler from a sharp rock hit awaiting spares that are rarer than Unobtainium!
Ferruccio is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 14:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

14 Years and only 75000km .. you did it and yourself a dis-service. This is a vehicle that must be driven, enjoyed. Both for all the comfort it provides, the space, etc - and for the low resale value it normally gives.

Considering that it is 14 years, and close to FC renewal: the resale value will not be much. However, do think about the space + insurance + basic maintenance costs, vs what offers you get. If the deal looks fair, give it and get the 2021 Safari. Or a Harrier AT - since you are in Bangalore. Exchange with dealer for any new car you may pick. Do remember, Tata dealers themselves will quote a lower price, more so because this is a Dicor.

One option is - wait for the FC to be done and then sell it. That way, a buyer cannot use that as a bargaining point to lower the price. But then again, the price will be a little lower if you wait that long.

Hexa spares are not that much of a problem - it shares parts with Storme, and even some models of the Winger. There was a 2017 XE with 33k listed in the classifieds, asking 10.5L. You could look at that. Lower purchase price, and its a BS4.

Btw, if you had listed a small car, I would have said keep it and use it as a beater. But this one's a Safari. Every time I used to visit my uncle in my Storme, he used to tease me if I came by a VRL (bus)

XUV500 - it's old now, and per posts here on TBHP, 500 would be discontinued.

Hector - no comments. Lots of electronic gadgetry.

Last edited by condor : 9th February 2022 at 14:27.
condor is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

One suggestion from my side - If your usage is less, please look at purchasing a petrol 6/7 seater and preferably new if you are going to keep it for a long time.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:31   #5
BHPian

If you have the luxury of parking another vehicle at your place, then retain the Safari and buy another new vehicle.

Get the issues you mentioned sorted at a Tata Authorized Service Centre and from what you mentioned, they don't seem to be big issues.

Main reason, I am suggesting not to sell, is due to its really poor resale value. I am of the opinion Tata Safari is a gem of a vehicle to be sold at the resale value it commands.

I have a 2007 Tata Safari 3.0L Dicor and was in the same dilemma, I decided against selling it and retained the vehicle.
I never had, touchwood any major issues with my Safari, barring minor niggles here and there, starter issue I too had and that needed replacement. I never had the concern of 10 days in the garage.

You are the best judge of whether it is worth repairing your Safari versus selling it.
ajithvpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:37   #6
BHPian

Our ritz stands in the 2 parkings available. So it wont be possible to retain the safari if we go for a new car
Old 9th February 2022, 21:53   #7
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Is it the case of seeing your car racking up the maintenance bill without actually being that productive? If so, owning the examples you mentioned will make you feel so even more.

Maintaining and repairing these new gen cars is a totally different ball game. Gone are the days of 6-7k annual service bills.
-Use of synthetic oil in the Safari/Hector alone adds close to 5k to the bill.
-Larger wheels 17”, cost almost 10k a piece to replace.
-Add the cost of almost 12-14k for replacement of disks and pads.
-Maintaining DEF levels along with the Diesel or the car won’t move. And with low running like yours, you’ll be wasting fuel going through regen to keep the DPF healthy.
-Insurance at close to 60k every year.
-Parts are expensive: headlamps easily over 20k a piece, windshield approx 12-15k, bumpers easily 9-10k a piece, fuel filter almost 3k, Clutch job almost 40-55k due to Dual Mass Flywheel Needing a change too
Consider these costs and consider that your Dicor engine has close to nothing on the ODO compared to what it is capable of, let me indulge you in the following thought:
-Cost of repairing the Safari would be equal to first year’s insurance on a new car you plan to buy.

-Cost of RC renewal for 5 years would be equal to a oil change on a new vehicle.

-If it is the bells and whistles you are missing, consider getting a smaller car as a daily driver to replace the ritz. Keep this truck for outstation trips.

-All the examples you mentioned are also not tested by NCAP so you’re not even getting the safety advantage with these options.
I would suggest you give your Safari a good once over, get the FC renewed for the coming 5 years and use it for venturing outside the city. In the next 5 years, who knows? You might be tempted to go for an EV and would also have these options you considered establish themselves in the market.
Tgo is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 23:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Is it the case of seeing your car racking up the maintenance bill without actually being that productive? If so, owning the examples you mentioned will make you feel so even more.
+1

Say my Hexa for example, which completed 2 years in January. We had to shell out 27k for insurance (add 3rd party next year onwards, min 8k) and 11k for 24 month service. That's a 38k expense in a week's time. Don't forget, service cost of Hexa is low, as per my SA, compared to Safari/Harrier. Insurance premiums too seem to be ticking up.

If usage is low, i wouldn't bother with a new car, especially if I'm owning something like a Safari. Better to revamp it and put it to good use. Ignore what people say, inclusive of on this forum that Tata cars are unreliable and don't last. I see Hexa owners racking up miles, 80k to 1lac kms+ in less than 3 years with normal servicing, no major issues. Get hold of a good TASS or a really good FNG and restore the Safari.

With EVs around the corner, i would stick to the Safari and wait it out, like BHPian Tgo says. Really looking forward to the Sierra EV.

If there's a genuine itch to get something new in the garage, go for the Hexa, post 2019 one. Get necessary things changed under warranty. And enjoy it. IMO, the sitting position and off road ability of the Safari aside, the Hexa is a way more refined version of the Safari. Technically what the Storme should have been in the first place.

Last edited by TROOPER : 9th February 2022 at 23:35.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

At 14 years and constant issues, whatever the reason I would suggest to sell/exchange for something new.

Based on your usage I would suggest to reset and rethink your requirements for a new car and choice of fuel/engine.
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:07   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Keep or sell our Tata Safari Dicor?

14 years up, while the model (design) itself is 25 years old. Best to sell the car and move onto something fresher + more contemporary.

For which model to buy, please search through the many 7-seater comparo threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
There have been many issues like the car not starting when cranked and the ac not cooling even though the car has spent almost 10 days a month in the workshop (where it currently is).

1) Is it worth keeping the safari? We have had issues with spares and trustable mechanics to work on the car and since Bangalore still has no rule of the 10 year old diesel car ban, we are still not sure.
Don't throw good money after bad. The writing is on the wall.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Hello everyone!

We have a Tata Safari Dicor 2.2, a 2008 model which has given us so much pride and happiness over the course of 14 years with 75000km.

There have been many issues like the car not starting when cranked and the ac not cooling even though the car has spent almost 10 days a month in the workshop (where it currently is). We have had issues with spares and trustable mechanics to work on the car
I see two key points to consider
- you have done 75k in 14 years (~ 5000 kms per year)
- you are still evaluating / looking for good FNGs/mechanics to work on this car

The first one doesn't really quantify financially for a new car as of now. Certainly not a diesel at all (if you are looking at new diesel options). Look at your riding habits, if it's mostly short distances then you should wait for a year or two and go the EV route - the choices are only going to increase going ahead.

The second one can be kind of mitigated through team-bhp if used properly. I'd reach out to someone like @condor or other Safari owners in Bangalore to get trustworthy contacts.

Work out the financials on an excel and decide taking in your family's inputs. After 14 years of ownership, it isn't just your decision if you ask me.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 07:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

I feel like the Hector and the new Safari are half a size smaller. Used Hexa would be a better choice.

If you want something that feels like an upgrade, get a (used) Innova Crysta or a Ford Endeavour. If not, a get new XUV 700 since you keep your vehicles for long.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 08:09   #13
BHPian

Hey arnav17,

14 years and 75k kilometres thats a long time with so little covered on the odo, My Scorpio is the same age with close to 150k on the odo. My suggestion to you is considering the issues you reported with car its better of to sell if you don't.

I'm not to very keen on recommending something like the XUV500 second gen or the Hexa as they are almost 6-7 year old products and the Hector and Current Safari won't feel like a proper upgrade.

My suggestion is lookout for a neatly kept Innova Crysta 2.8 or a Fortuner 3.0 (there is currently one for sale in blr, odo is less than 40k) Hector I find to gimmicky and the XUV700 is too long a waiting period.

The last option would be wait for the new Scorpio, it surely won't disappoint you when it comes to the driving dynamics and will give you a proper SUV feel in comparison to the FWD Hector, Safari and XUV700

Cheers

Cliff
Cliff9091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 09:46   #14
BHPian

I recently sold my first gen Safari Storme. I would not consider the new gen Safari as a replacement of the old ladder frames because of the reasons listed below. Please see if it makes sense to you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...i-owner-3.html (New 2nd-gen Tata Safari | Perspective of an Old Safari Owner)

If you are looking pre owned, you could even snare a deal from a segment above . Read my full 7seater shoot out here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...hootout-7.html (The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout)

In summary, the Safari is always emotional for owners like us, and it’s hard to let it go, I agree. But my suggestion is sell it while you still can.

I even notice that there might be relatively better resale now for a well maintained old Safari, with the dying of the original Safari DNA. Few people are on the lookout to buy good examples of their childhood dreams, and it can work out as a win win for both you and buyer.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 10:08   #15
BHPian

You seem like someone who keeps their cars for long and appreciate the long term use. Why not go for a new Innova in the AT avatar. Would last you well and is a proper 7 seater.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks