Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep Compass would you buy?
1.4L Turbo-Petrol 6-Speed MT 12 3.52%
1.4L Turbo-Petrol 7-Speed DCT 30 8.80%
2.0L Diesel 6-speed MT 129 37.83%
2.0L Diesel 9-Speed AT 170 49.85%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 08:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?

This is a very tricky poll for me. I have no confusion about the engine; the 2.0 diesel engine is much more impressive than the 1.4 petrol engine in the tune that is offered on Compass.

However, for me, the biggest attraction in Compass is the 4x4. Therefore, I would for sure want a Jeep Compass with Diesel 2.0 and 4x4. Now unfortunately, they have coupled that with only AT in the new Compass. And I do not like this ZF9 at all (all my Test Drives with this gearbox were unimpressive). I would love to have the 2.0 Diesel 4x4 MT Compass. That is my ideal configuration in Compass. But unfortunately that does not exist any more in the new Compass. I have to unfortunately give up either MT or 4x4 when I configure a new Compass. And that makes it a big problem.

In short, my ideal vote would have been 2.0L Diesel 4x4 MT, which only exists in the previous Compass. Thus, for me, if I were to choose a Compass today, I would start searching in the used car market :-)

But since this option does not exist in the poll, I have voted for the nearest approximation of "2.0L Diesel 6-speed MT"

Last edited by Dr.AD : 8th April 2022 at 09:02.
Dr.AD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:01   #17
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?

I vote for the Compass diesel 4x4 Auto, another reason being I drive it to work daily. Its auto box is good enough for regular driving as GTO said, when traffic pattern gets erratic, the gearbox gets confused at times, but for the most part it’s good. The Diesel engine revs smoothly, it’s powerful and gives me a fuel efficiency of around 14.5-16 km/L on semi-highway roads which I travel most of the time on. Overall an excellent all rounder 4x4 SUV which feels the most car like to drive
Harsha89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:24   #18
BHPian

Though I drive 2.0D MT which is obviously fun to drive than AT, voted for 2.0D AT. Barring the initial inertia, Compass is the perfect tourer which has great ride and handling, competent 4x4, build and steering response.

Maybe someday upgrade to AT.
Old 8th April 2022, 09:41   #19
BHPian

Voted 2.0L Diesel 9-Speed AT since for starters I wouldn't prefer a DCT and although we don't know when a ban on diesel engines kicks in, I would still prefer it over the 1.4 petrol on the compass (the CR-V made a strong case for the petrol). MTs aren't even in much consideration given the ease of automatics and older parents who also might drive the car (this doesn't apply when I consider sedans over crossovers ).
Old 8th April 2022, 10:11   #20
BHPian

My vote goes to 2.0L D MT.
I own a 2019 Dec Jeep Compass Diesel MT and it is the most fun to drive car, extremely well mannered on highways, corners, etc. However, it is not that easy in the city bumper-to-bumper traffic as you need to be on 2nd gear half clutch and Neutral most of the times in these kind of situations. Clutch is not hard though.

On the other hand, Diesel AT brings in the convenience of driving but it is boring for my taste. So it depends on your ride needs. I suggest you take long test drives and choose accordingly
Old 8th April 2022, 10:13   #21
BHPian

Diesel AT any day. The petrol is known to be gas guzzler, having driven the diesel manual over long distances and dealt with the 1st gen clutch plates, the AT will definitely give additional piece of mind.
Old 8th April 2022, 10:54   #22
BHPian

I vote for 2.0 L Diesel MT which is my highway rider. Fantastic on highways but real pain in congested cities. You got to be on 1st gear most of the time ("clutch", "clutch" flashes in your brain all the time). Test drove 2.0 AT prior to deciding on MT. The car was okay on level, straight roads however was totally clueless on slopes + curves (Not ghats though).
josetom89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 11:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
On a related note, they really need to offer the diesel AT in basic front wheel drive configuration. Not everyone needs 4x4, and the current premium charged for this combo is simply exorbitant.
Jeep Meridian is offering 4x2 Diesel AT, so maybe such a day in Compass is not far away?

ref: (India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian)
Old 8th April 2022, 11:44   #24
BHPian

Petrol AT for me. I lust for Compass for its looks, sturdiness and brand. My driving does not warrant 4x4 or additional spend on a Diesel. Also don't want any DPF/DEF hassles since my car won't move on a daily basis. I have test driven Petrol AT and I did find the engine to be struggling on the steep incline of an underground parking lot but I guess I can live with it on the road.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 12:02   #25
BHPian

I have bought 1.4 DCT Limited and voted for it. Though I used to love torquey diesels, my reasons for the purchase below:

- I started staying closer to my work and office is hardly 6 kms. So do not wish to choke DPF.
- My kid and my mother gets nausea when travelling in diesel cars, especially when they are in back seat. [ I tested them on same make cars - diesel and petrol variants, and somehow their body/ brain reacts adversely to diesel even if I do not open the windows. ]
- I felt the car to be competent and rock solid especially when you drive on highways in close to triple digit speeds.
- Petrol AT is slow to respond and sometimes it just doesn't understand you on how you want the car to move. I came in terms with my car now and my foot somehow got programmed to it. It's no longer an issue now a days.
- I felt it to be overpriced ( and was beyond by budget ). But this might be my last ICE car and went for it.
- Fuel economy is around 7-9 kmpl on cities and 11-13 kmpl on highways
Old 8th April 2022, 13:00   #26
BHPian

Voted for 2.0L Diesel 6-speed MT since I own that. Only few words I can say after driving it for 1.5 years that being a petrol head, I had to unlearn first and I am still learning how to tame this bull.

The Torque is not only addictive but at lower gears some times its uncontrollable. I hate clutching and always consider clutch as a switch to change gears. So, once the diesel mill goes to 2nd gear the only way to keep it under control is apply brakes.

Yes, the car runs on brakes and NOT accelerator. While climbing a flyover just put it on 2nd/3rd gear and leave all pedals. It will crawl and take you up. Push the A pedal and immediately it unleashes sheer power to jump ahead.

Very addictive and very tricky to drive it properly and the game changes slightly when you need to engage 4x4 while off road and am eager to check all drive modes (snow, mud etc.) soon.
livetodrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 13:06   #27
BHPian

Voted for 2.0 MT because of one reason - COST! If at all I plan to spend 30L on a car, Octavia is a no brainer for me. Had they priced the automatic diesel variants more sensibly, I would have voted for the automatic but 30L is too steep a price for a compass. If I increase my budget then a Tiguan TSI on discounts would be accessible. Therefore, the only variant which makes sense to me are the Longitude or Limited MT 2.0
Old 8th April 2022, 13:53   #28
BHPian

Voted for the Diesel 2.0 with the 9AT.

I own a 2.0D 6 MT and while its a fantastic and efficient highway tourer, it is a difficult car to maneuver around town. The clutch is especially hard to operate and gets harder over time and isn't really suited for city driving.

The car is now delegated for chauffer driven purpose and I prefer to use one of our ATs only.
Old 8th April 2022, 13:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
In short, my ideal vote would have been 2.0L Diesel 4x4 MT, which only exists in the previous Compass.
+1.

No issues with my 2.0 MT as I primarily use it for highway runs and its loads of fun. Got my car in Sep 2020 and i guess my only regret has been if I could have stretched and got the 4X4 MT.

Its a bummer that this version isn't available now. Even though typically for 90 to 95% of use-cases, you might not need the 4X4 and would be carrying that added weight, it would have been an icing on the cake which ticked off a mental checklist And maybe you would have been more at peace if you did a Ladakh / Spiti / Arunachal Pradesh run...
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 14:16   #30
BHPian

Unless you are a hardcore JEEP lover, you can avoid the Diesel Auto version. if your driving is 70% city and 30% highway or offroad...you can rethink of your choice. I own a 4x4 AT and I can tell you it can frustrate you when you need the power the most :-). reconsider other options. if money is not an issue, check C5. if Brand is not a problem check Tucson.
Bsreecharan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks