Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep Compass would you buy?
1.4L Turbo-Petrol 6-Speed MT 12 3.52%
1.4L Turbo-Petrol 7-Speed DCT 30 8.80%
2.0L Diesel 6-speed MT 129 37.83%
2.0L Diesel 9-Speed AT 170 49.85%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 15:36   #31
sbm
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?

Though I haven't driven the Jeep Compass, I can give my 2 cents about the FIAT 2.0MJD MT based on my TD of Safari/Harrier.
1) The clutch is on the heavier side. It won't matter much if you're using it just to change gears but when you're stuck in city traffic and have to crawl ahead just by constantly regulating the clutch, that's where its weight is felt more. The returning force is too much IMO and to avoid straining of the left leg, one has to constantly shift from 1st to neutral and release clutch completely.
2) The car stalls in 2nd gear if you cross a speed breaker without giving some clutch slip (that can cause another problem as discussed later). In city traffic low speed driveability is severely compromised if one has to shift constantly from 2nd to 1st.
3) Earlier iterations of this engine (in Compass,Hector &Harrier) suffered from clutch burn issues. A big contributor to clutch burnouts might be the characteristic of stalling in 2nd gear. If you loan your to someone who's not familiar with this and drives it like any other car, it can end up burning a hole in your pocket. Isn't it a little bit too delicate for a 'SUV' that's supposed to be rugged and tough?
Also want to add that I had a long chat with a SA at TATA service centre who said that TATA has modified clutch and pressure plates to avoid this but I can't verify this. So if you buy 2.0MJD MT, please don't forget to pamper it in traffic.
4) On the highways it's a beast. Period. No one can come close to when it starts streching it's legs and I feel only an MT would do justice the raw power.

I would say you first accept that you're buying a car that will give you pain in traffic. Then think about the joy it'll provide on the Highways. Then listen what your heart says (only if you have enough money to go just by your heart)and go with it.

Also, I have a question of my own. Mods,please delete this part is it's too OFF Topic. As a petrol car owner (Baleno) I wonder if I would ever be able to get accustomed to the heavy clutch on diesel cars (if I buy one)? Anyone shifting from petrol to diesel car and able to relate to me,please do comment on this.

Last edited by sbm : 8th April 2022 at 15:57.
sbm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:44   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?

A fundamental advantage of the diesel AT has been overlooked in this thread. It’s a torque converter. Not only is reliability assured, you are also free of the hassle of periodic clutch, pressure plate and flywheel replacements. This in itself will provide a significant saving over a long and healthy ownership of the car.

My car has done 20k km. They way the clutch has hardened over time, (it was feather light when brand new), I will assume I will have to get it changed by the 50-60000km mark. The character of the drivetrain is such that it is easy to stall and needs frequent half clutching in second gear in city traffic.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th April 2022 at 15:46.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 20:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
2) The car stalls in 2nd gear if you cross a speed breaker without giving some clutch slip (that can cause another problem as discussed later). In city traffic low speed driveability is severely compromised if one has to shift constantly from 2nd to 1st.
Stalling issues and driveability will get solved to a large extent if one is going for a remap.
Octavia TDI MT was notorious for stalling abruptly and it indeed required some getting used to. Even after 5 years of ownership, I had stalled it many times while trying to take a hump in 2nd gear or going through a pothole slowly.

After stage 1 remap this has changed entirely and driveability has improved a lot. Though that was not my requirement from the remap
Old 8th April 2022, 20:46   #34
BHPian

Test drove the 2.0 MT earlier and fell in love with the car. Had a chance to drive my uncle's 1.4 AT recently for a long time. The car felt more underpowered than my Fiesta 1.6S. Thought the gearbox was a regular AT till I read the review. It's quite slow for being a dual clutch gearbox. And kickdown response time is strictly average, and the going post that is also quite muted.

My choice would be to buy a pre worshipped 2.0 MT 4x4. And get a small AT hatchback for the in-town duties with the spare amount.
Kumaran93R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 22:16   #35
BHPian

Voted 2.0L Diesel 9-Speed AT. I have test driven both cars. The diesel manual is more fun to drive and more responsive but the automatic is also good. I'd say, if you want the car for family trips with occasional spirited driving, then the automatic would be just fine. However, 4x4 should have been optional and I think they'll introduce it soon since Meridian is offering it.
Old 9th April 2022, 00:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Diesel AT anyday. The Manual is fun to drive but the clutch is too long. The AT is just so much more comfortable. Also, I own one.

Here is the ownership report.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (My Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 Diesel Automatic | Ownership Review)
Old 9th April 2022, 09:38   #37
BHPian

If it's for the highways and roadtrips, it cannot get better than the 2.0 Diesel MT. If it's for the city or if 4x4 is necessary, then it will be the Diesel AT. Would've loved to have a 4x4 Diesel MT though.

PS: Is the 1.4 turbo petrol in the compass the same T-Jet motor that was used in the Linea T-Jet and the Abarth Punto? Because both belong to the FCA?
Old 9th April 2022, 09:48   #38
BHPian

My slightly contrarian opinion as an automatic noob - I知 ok with the petrol DCT! More on that below but first a question - Your experienced opinions on how fishy you find this are very welcome!

So I took a quote for the Petrol DCT in Limited trim yesterday from the Dehradun dealer for my Delhi based girlfriend. I had shown them the quote she had from a Delhi dealer. The GM matched the Delhi dealer痴 quote - Rs 27.83 lakhs - but said this is for UK registration, a DL plate will cost you 20-30k more. I said OK we値l buy from Delhi dealer then. Left his office and the sales rep, a personable chap, immediately offered a further discount of 15k, so about 27.68 lakhs now AND said he would get me a Delhi plate at no further cost. So basically the GM quoted 27.83 lakhs for UK registration plus 20-30k for Delhi registration. And the SA quoted 27.68 lakhs all inclusive for DL registration or UK registration, whichever we want.

I知 really not convinced and my girlfriend, who is buying the car and is Delhi based, will likely stick with the Delhi dealer. Everyone knows that DL registration costs more. But Doon SA says my guys can avoid MCD charges or something in Delhi!

She intends to stick with her Delhi dealer. Unless the colour she finalises is in ready stock in Doon - black and white currently are - and waitlisted in Delhi, in which case maybe I値l speak to the Doon GM and get something in writing from him to support the SA痴 verbal assurance.

Now about the Petrol DCT and why I liked it - I test drove the 1.4 DCT yesterday in Dehradun since my Delhi-based girlfriend is getting it in Limited trim. I am an automatic noob and quite liked it. I drove on a hilly stretch, made several overtakes, tried the manual mode etc.

Kickdowns were adequate. I知 sure they池e quicker in other autos, but ok.

Manual shifts were slower than my own shifting in a manual car, but ok in an SUV that, however dynamic, is not a car category that you buy in order to drive at more than 8/10ths.

Since I drive the wheels off a sluggish petrol Punto regularly I actually found this turbo petrol car very easy to overtake with.

The rest was great. Much less body roll than our duster. Firm suspension that invites hustling the car and soaks up bumps better when you drive hard. Great interior. And of course the tank like build.

I知 very cognisant that @GTO gave the petrol DCT a 4/10, and many of you agree. I知 sure if I drove the Compass diesel AT or a DSG I might feel the same. But this is the car she wants, she relies entirely on her trusty chauffeur, and since she is based in NCR diesels are out. Compass diesel pricing is too close to German territory too for her taste. Given all this and my brief drive I found it is easy to give her my concurring opinion in favour of the car, for what it痴 worth. And if she does getting I知 going to enjoy hustling it around the hills roads around Dehradun.
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 09:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV17 View Post
PS: Is the 1.4 turbo petrol in the compass the same T-Jet motor that was used in the Linea T-Jet and the Abarth Punto? Because both belong to the FCA?
Same block, but with a much more sophisticated Multi-air head, responsible for the bump in power.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 12:17   #40
BHPian

The torque, frugality, and the sheer driving pleasure of the diesel manual were the deciding factors for me. Yes, in stop start traffic the clutch may tire you out after a while, but the joy of slotting the car in the right gear and racing ahead in an open stretch while watching other mortals struggling in your rear view mirror is an indescribable feeling. And yes, the diesel manual regularly gives me a mileage of 17-18kmpl in a mix of city and highway drive (eastern express highway, Mumbai).
AniChaudhuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 16:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If it's a compass, it has to be the 2.0MJD.

The only dilemma is choosing between the 6 speed Manual or the 9 speed DCT.

If this was any other city, I'd probably pick the more value for money 6 speed manual in a lower trim but unfortunately Mumbai traffic and a city oriented commute means the 9 speed DCT would be the practical choice.
As far as I remember, the diesel has a 9spd TC. Only the petrol comes WITH 7spd DCT which I assume is dry clutch
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 22:26   #42
BHPian

Voted for Diesel MT (not just because I own one, but after driving it on highways there is no match for other combinations). I am really surprised to see Diesel AT winning the poll here. I did back to back test drives of Diesel MT and AT, the AT gearbox was really sluggish on open roads. Even the reviews from Tbhp and other major YouTube channels highlighted the same thing. Has Jeep updated their AT gearbox for Diesel recently? I heard some updated software made it better. Not sure.

I would really suggest Diesel MT any day, any time eyes closed to anyone.
Old 10th April 2022, 01:07   #43
BHPian

I got Diesel MT and kept my old Polo for city drives. As mentioned by GTO, the fun of driving the Diesel MT is unparalleled in this category. If you love to drive on open roads with some punch, do not hesitate however it is certainly not very comfortable in bumper to bumper scenario.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 02:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
As far as I remember, the diesel has a 9spd TC. Only the petrol comes WITH 7spd DCT which I assume is dry clutch
Yes, my bad! Thank you for pointing it out!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 10:13   #45
BHPian

The Diesel is the choice to go for between engines.

The Diesel MT if you can get used to the torque and keep the vehicle from stalling in the lower gears, especially in traffic! You''ll get a leg workout for free.

The Diesel AT if you don't mind the occasional hiccups with the shifting behaviour, overall a very nice experience and ease of navigating city + highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks