Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 09:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Booked BMW X3, put down-payment on an apartment & now have a budget of 50-lakhs | Which SUV?

If you’re ever considering a used car market as an option, although might sound like a long-hard shot, also a complicated / a confused one at that, why not check for a pampered Endeavour I know, I know it’s not a sound decision but the car itself is way good even now than most of its competitors! I’m sure few would agree but most would disagree with Ford’s exit!
Old 19th May 2022, 12:14   #17

Re: Booked BMW X3, put down-payment on an apartment & now have a budget of 50-lakhs | Which SUV?

I hope I don't add to your dilemma, but here is another thought.

Since this will be primarily used by your wife, and you want an automatic, consider a EV - no gears or clutch, great drivability, and a lone woman will not have to visit a fuel station anytime. Add to it a lot of connected features, this will be a great package to even keep as your second car once you buy your big one.
RogerEphraim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:29   #18
BHPian

50 lakhs, Please wait for the New Tucson...Nothing in the current line up in India in this Price Tag is worth that much money
Old 19th May 2022, 13:06   #19
BHPian

Please take a look at XC40 once again, it's a small nifty car which is really great. Atleast I felt like that.

Just a tip from this side of the world, I have test driven the new Tucson for a friend who was seriously thinking about buying it. Had a really long test drive but I did not like it much to be honest. The ride was good(not great) but the power delivery and dumb transmission didn't do a lot for the car.
It looks great though but that's about it. I'd rather get the Creta if you want Hyundai or get the Jeep.

Also why not look for a sparringly used X3? Should fit the 50L budget.
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 15:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hello, I'm in the same boat as you. Prices have increased about 20% in the past 2 years and the amount of features in the car has been cut short. I would say this is the worst time to be buying a german car sadly.

I would not recommend getting an X1 since the new generation is about to be unveiled internationally. Also the old one used to be sold with an optional AWD system which has been removed now so you are basically paying 10l premium for a lesser car which is about to be outdated in a year or two. All of this turned me off the X1 which is a good car in it's own right if you can pick it up used.

If you absolutely must buy a car now, the best option at the moment is to scour the used car market for an actual owner selling their car and picking up a well maintained german at probably a bit less than whatever the owner paid for it back then (which is still substantially lesser than what the new ones are going for)

Best option is to just wait. The recent interest rate hikes mean that the amount of people throwing money at cars at heavily inflated prices is going to come down real soon.
Old 19th May 2022, 15:08   #21
BHPian

Why don't you checkout Taigun 1.0 Automatic!! That would be within your budget.
Just go for a long testdrive you may forget other options.
Old 19th May 2022, 15:20   #22
BHPian

Personally, anything beyond 30-35 lakhs, I will try to include the top 3 Germans plus Volvo as well. These brands are very aspirational, owning them means something extraordinary, just as the snob/brand value and as well, they give you high quality product/experience.

I strongly believe driving a Merc or Beemer or Audi (this order is significant as well), and lastly Volvo to wedding or a party is something completely different from even in a 40 lakhs Japanese car. Merc traditionally a respected brand with impeccable reliability, Beemer with that driving experience, Audi with the tech and finally the Volvo famous for the safety aspect, owning them actually means an achievement itself.

So, I suggest to test them. If you are ok for the used (no-no for new ones for me as it is absurd looking at the taxes etc.), there are plenty in the market now. GLC, GLE, X1, X3, Q5/Q7, XC60/XC90 all are good and typically, they are all reliable in the recent years compared to for e.g. 10 years back.

Last edited by sgmuser : 19th May 2022 at 15:21. Reason: typo
Old 19th May 2022, 15:48   #23
BHPian

Vehicle loan rates are better than home loan today. In my case, home loan(HDFC) ROI is 7.3% whereas vehicle loan(Punjab & Sind Bank) is 7.1%.

X3 is very much within reach if you ask me, provided you are in for the long tenure.
Old 19th May 2022, 16:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerandy View Post
- is it advisable to do advance booking of a car of which except for the exterior looks and engine specs, I don't know anything?
- Tucson or Meridian?
- Is any other suitable car in this price bracket except the ones already mentioned?

Hope to get my split thoughts settled down from your helpful inputs!
As luck would have it, I faced the exact same dilemma in 2019, and I too picked the house over the car. Let me tell you, I could not be happier with picking the house over the car and I am glad that I did that.

Due to the pricing restraints after the car purchase, my budget too was trimmed significantly but that made me realize that I don't need to spend the big bucks to get a good car, pre-owned was the route for me. The forum is already inundated with info on what pre-owned cars you can get in that budget, which is a huge buffet.

I would say NO to the Meridian since the long-term reliability is questionable being a new model. The Tucson simply isn't cut out for this price bracket IMHO. Do reconsider the Tiguan again, really good engine+gearbox combo and the VW badge also commands more power than the other options in consideration, albeit not enough power to be BMW levels obviously.

All the best and you made the right choice with the apartment!
Old 19th May 2022, 19:59   #25
BHPian

Any reason why you don't want to go with BMW X1 or Mercedes Benz GLA
Old 19th May 2022, 20:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on the apartment
You could look for pre-owned 330is. Multiple 2022/21 options available in the North fro around 50-55. Most of them have done under 5k.
Old 19th May 2022, 21:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
So 2 cars have been shortlisted as of now to be the beater car- Sonet gtx+ diesel auto / Kiger turbo CVT..
Of course the Sonet GTX+ D AT. While the Kiger may look fab on the outside, the NVH and engine tuning with the CVT leave a lot to be desired. The Sonet will make you think of money well spent and also fetch you a better resale apart from the well-speeced interiors and creature comforts.
Old 20th May 2022, 07:34   #28
BHPian

My 2 cents buying a German SUV

Quote:
Till now we were owning S Cross 1.3 alpha, which was bought after moving to Bangalore in 2016. It was a hasty decision as we needed a car in desperation due to my nature of the job and having 2 kids under the age of 10.

Now I am back to square one. Of course, X3 is out of the question! Now our budget has been restricted to 50 lakhs with a slight stretch of a couple of lakhs.

Quote:
One thing which was not mentioned on my end was that, my wife has suffered a serious left knee problem. It will take at least 6-8 months to fully recover. That's why I am in a hurry for automatic drivetrain.
I can also join ship by June end. Since she is chip designer, WFH is not a long term option.
Since your present ride was a hasty purchase:

If you need to pickup an automatic this vacation itself:

1. Purchase a small automatic second-hand, you will be back to your 70-85 lakh budget within 1-2 sailing contract and then pick up the car of your choice to retain long term.

2. Go the pre-owned route. All the best deals are from West / North India. Purchase a second hand German SUV and ensure seller gets you a NOC. Get the car to Bangalore and transfer the registration here. (About 15 lakh for the registration for the price you are looking at). I can DM you an agent number in Bangalore who can do registration.

3. German sedans are worth a try. You will be pleasantly surprised how well they do on Bangalore roads.

All the best and keep us posted.

Last edited by gungax : 20th May 2022 at 07:41.
Old 20th May 2022, 09:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
So 2 cars have been shortlisted as of now to be the beater car- Sonet gtx+ diesel auto / Kiger turbo CVT. These cars and models are the one only available with fast delivery (less then 1 month). Which will be perfect for me as wife will have an auto to drive and I can also join ship by June end. Since she is chip designer, WFH is not a long term option.
Got a confident message from the main dealer in chennai that the new Venue will be launched with Diesel Auto although it is not clear whether it will be in the N-line series. You may want to add this to your list as well since it is from Hyundai Stable and fresh as well. The launch is also very near.
Old 20th May 2022, 13:03   #30
BHPian

Now is simply not a great time to buy a car. Every car is overpriced while cutting down on features. It’s maddening to think such a huge amount of money only gets you the most basic trims of entry level markets. Used cars are the way to go, and if you’re against buying used cars, let a few more months pass for newer models to be unveiled. The Compass ought to be considered over the Meridian since it is the same car with an unusable third row. If you has to buy a car right away, then Superb is your best option. The SUV equivalents would be Fortuner or Kodiaq, but it’s very over priced. Simply put, not a good time to buy a car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks