Scorpio-N 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2022, 02:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 vs Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
... So unless XUV 700's suspension itself has undergone a change, the only likely explanation is that Mahindra team has just decided to describe the same suspension set up using a new collection of words. The XUV 700 brochure probably hasn't been updated since the last year while website must have.

Or has the XUV 700 suspension actually changed? People who understand these terms, please throw some light
McPherson and Double Wishbone suspensions are different. The former is cheaper and is very commonly used as the font suspension. The latter more often in more rugged/BoF/RWD as the font suspension; uncommonly as a rear suspension too (IIRC). So, it is not the same thing being described in different words.

Though complaints about suspensions have been there in the XUV700, I doubt Mahindra would have changed to a more expensive setup without any announcement. Double Wishbones also typically use more space - no idea if XUV700 would even have that. My guess is that it is a website issue. Only a small chance that Mahindra has solved the suspension issue of noise and that unsettling feeling over low speeds on moderate speeds found on the XUV700, but I optimistically hope for that to be the case and to soon see an announcement (or leak )

Last edited by Poitive : 3rd July 2022 at 02:22. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Disadvantages of a body on frame vehicle:

Over time various rattles and squeaks as the chassis and body flex differently. No amount of insulation or fastner tightening will completely eliminate these noises

An inherit roughness, vibration which can be felt via the floorboards, pedals and sometimes the gear lever again a character of such a configuration.

On even levelled roads a constant swaying or pitching movement will be felt in comparison of monocoque vehicles. The most advanced suspension can reduce but not eliminate these. Over long distances these tire passengers more.

Higher ride height leading to more body roll in corners, again tiring to occupants on long windy sections, possibly causing nausea in the rearmost seats.

Higher height is painful for older people, people with weak knees and children, pets. Sidesteps are a must, but they reduce ground clearance.

Possibility of rusting due to gaps between body and chassis over time. Requires more maintainance and care than monocoque vehicles over time.

Heavier components, higher body weight, long travel suspension may mean quicker tyre wear and alignment issues when compared to monocoque vehicles.
apachelongbow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:05   #18
BHPian

A person in his 20's or 30's will go for ScorpioN while someone in his 40's or 50's will buy XUV700.
Gaddibuddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:27   #19
MMV
BHPian

Very relevant thread, though both cars are fundamentally different.

Today morning, chanced to drop into Mahindra showroom (though had spoken to SA and confirmed TD on coming weekend). Had a look at the display ScorpioN! Needless to say, it looks huge! XUV700 was also placed nearby, naturally you end up comparing both, esp when someone is evaluating higher variants of ScorpioN. Mahindra definitely has given lot of thought and brainstormed on this, even prior to launch of XUV700. Its very evident from the way both vehicles look and feel (from a laymen perspective, for an enthusiast its even more clear)

Few observations/points (did not click pics)
  1. As per SA, they plan to start delivery from Ganpati (at least in Mumbai market)

2. Variant details are not yet communicated to dealers (thats the reply I got, when asked to reconfirm whether its Z8L after spotting Sony speakers), so its likely that Z8 would also get Sony Speakers (not just Z8L)

3. Finish of Scorpio is lacking, with rough edges on plastic cladding over doors jutting out prominently (can even scratch someone's legs). There are few other lacuna in fit and finish, which your eyes will not miss

4. The cladding, roof rails and side foot rest is standard fitment for Z8 (not sure if its true / whether SA was trying his luck with bundling accessories!)

5. Plastics on seat (side) and top of panel looks and feels ordinary (as mentioned by many). Also the back cover of seat is black in color and looks very ordinary

6. In comparison the interiors of XUV700 looks and feels more premium and classy. ScorpioN has more dark interior theme than XUV700

7. 3rd row seat of XUV700 is better in comparison (it has approx 20cm more length)

8. Doors feel light, weight optimisation is apparent. More heavy doors would have gone well with the character of the SUV

9. Visibility in ScorpioN is good, rather commanding (you will appreciate the difference once you sit in 2nd row seats) but its not so comfortable or plush as compared to XUV700

Though the pricing between XUV700 overlaps with this car, Mahindra has made the choice easy for all. If you need an SUV with some sophistication (but ready to overlook 'minor' irritants/glitches then its ScorpioN. If you want more luxury and finesse with SUV like qualities, then go for XUV700.

All said, car gazing is just half the story, looking forward for the test drive. Have reconfirmed with SA that need some 'quality' time with car to understand the suspension, road manners and ride comfort. Keeping fingers crossed, as XUV700 is also lurking in the corner of my mind after checking out both of them together (despite the reasoning on selection mentioned above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddibuddy View Post
A person in his 20's or 30's will go for ScorpioN while someone in his 40's or 50's will buy XUV700.
Possible, age group is one key question being asked by the Mahindra official after one registers on website for a TD. The fencing sitting ones are in 35-45 age group, who constitute largest buyer segment (and are mostly daddies)

Last edited by MMV : 3rd July 2022 at 12:35. Reason: Repeat post merged
MMV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 13:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, Cornering lamps are available. Please look from 02:16 to 02:32 in video .

Last edited by waypoint : 3rd July 2022 at 13:15. Reason: The video link with time hook did not work
waypoint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 13:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypoint View Post
Actually, Cornering lamps are available. Please look from 02:16 TO 02:32 in video Scorpio-N cornering lamp demo.
Nice! Strange that they haven't mentioned it on the brochure. But does seem to be working well in the video.
tarunjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:46   #22
BHPian

Does Scorpio N having navigation between speedo and tacho dials cast google maps or use some inbuilt map like mapmyindia?
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Nice! Strange that they haven't mentioned it on the brochure. But does seem to be working well in the video.
Cornering lamps seems to be one of easter eggs from Mahindra in Scorpio-N
waypoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 02:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Does Scorpio N having navigation between speedo and tacho dials cast google maps or use some inbuilt map like mapmyindia?
Yes, it does help with navigation. If you use mapmyindia which is inbuilt navigation you can see it being casted between dials whereas with apple car play and android auto it’s the usual directions only affair.

I feel if variant by variant cars are compared strictly from feature set pov for e.g z2 with MX, z4 with AX3, z6 with ax5 and so on.. I believe mid variants are better laid out in ScorpioN. For e.g if you need ESP you don’t need to go for Top variants and it’s available right from Z4 variant. Cruise control/HSA is also something which should have been provided in AX5 variant but isn’t available but, you get the same in Z6 variant.

From VFM perspective I am getting Z8 Diesel (introductory price) approximately at the price of AX5 Diesel.

ScorpioN is well suited for someone who loves BOF RWD frame and frequently will be exploring untraveled places where as XUV700 is well suited if you will be navigating through the urban jungle with highway rides here and there. I am not saying that XUV won’t take you places but off road I don’t think it would be as capable as the ScorpioN whereas on highway you won’t be getting the same thrill and comfort that you might with XUV.

I would pick the ScorpioN because of sentimental value (we own a 2011 Scorpio -which is ageing now) and second, do it all capabilities that it has. I have one dog and soon will be getting another, Scorpio has that rugged do whatever you want feel that even if it gets dirty I won’t mind.
With xuv I would always be fretting over the interiors.
Old 9th July 2022, 12:43   #25
BHPian

I was also too confused and wanted to go with Scorpio N primarily of less waiting times and superb front looks. But after lot of thinking decided to hold off for XUV 700.

ADAS may not be very useful now but its utility will increase, in times to come because of lot of expressways and world quality roads being developed currently. Adaptive Cruise Control is a feature that I just need to have.

Panaromic sunroof being other. My daughter has used her Veto power for panaromic.
Old 9th July 2022, 12:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.petro View Post
ADAS may not be very useful now but its utility will increase, in times to come because of lot of expressways and world quality roads being developed currently. Adaptive Cruise Control is a feature that I just need to have.
ADAS has almost no use case in Indian driving conditions. On the contrary, I think ADAS features might only contribute to more mishaps on the roads. Cruise control as a feature is certainly useful when driving on access controlled expressways. However, such roads are few and far between in India (as of today).

IMO Scorpio is a superior product as compared to the XUV700. The learnings from XUV700 must have fed back to the product team. As far as the sunroof is concerned, it is merely a gimmick whose novelty doesn't take long to vanish in thin air. The hot and humid climate will not offer many instances of using a sunroof. On the contrary, you might find yourself buying a sun film to save yourself from the sun!
Old 9th July 2022, 13:54   #27
BHPian

People who are thinking about getting the XUV700 AX5 should seriously consider the Z8. I'd say the Scorpio-N offers considerably better feature distribution under the 20L ex-showroom price bracket.

Those looking in price range of AX7 and above should definitely skip the Scorpio-N. XUV700 in AX7+ trim is just better in all aspects that matter.

Those wanting a true 4x4 already know which car to buy. XUV is out of question here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
ADAS has almost no use case in Indian driving conditions.
Only people who have never owned a vehicle with ADAS will say this. You simply cannot judge the effectiveness of a comfort system without using it yourself. Ask any owner of a vehicle with adaptive cruise and you will always get a positive feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
As far as the sunroof is concerned, it is merely a gimmick whose novelty doesn't take long to vanish in thin air.
It's not a gimmick if the kids love it. My kid nephews always make me open the roof blinds and it instantly brings a smile on their face. Such things are priceless.

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 9th July 2022 at 13:56.
Tanmay007 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 13:58   #28
BHPian

Hi all,

I took TD of
Scorpio N D MT
Scorpio N P MT
XUV700 P MT
XUV700 D MT

Of the above 4, I found Scorpio N D MT and XUV700 P MT more relaxed to drive (is it because of taller gear ratios?) and diesel quite close to petrol though petrol smoothness is noticeable
I have already booked Scorpio N Z8 D MT, but still confused between Scorpio N Z8 D MT and XUV700 AX7 P MT. the major doubts being around these areas
1) Mileage : some claim Scorpio N D MT should give good mileage but based on autocar's mileage tests on AT variants it looks bad (on the contrary mileage claims on XUV700 petrol manual seem to be good https://autocritiq.com/xuv-700-milea...manual_mileage)
2) Some features like hill/descent assist : Not that this will get used regularly but its a bit confusing if AX7 P MT has it or not (Mahindra brochure says ESP present in AX7) where as Scorpio mentions it clearly
3) Missing last row curtain airbag and overall safety on Scorpio N as compared to XUV. There is no NCAP rating yet. I also wonder why they ignored curtain AB for last row
4) I wonder if there are larger ORVMS available for XUV700 and if that voids warranty ? The ones on Scorpio are fantastic (size wise)

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated !
Revention is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 11:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noticed something interesting while comparing the suspension specs of Scorpio N and XUV 700. At first, I looked at both the brochures and found these:

So unless XUV 700's suspension itself has undergone a change, the only likely explanation is that Mahindra team has just decided to describe the same suspension set up using a new collection of words. The XUV 700 brochure probably hasn't been updated since the last year while website must have.

Or has the XUV 700 suspension actually changed? People who understand these terms, please throw some light
The information in the XUV700 brochure is correct and not the other one.
I am 100% sure that Watts Linkage is not there in the XUV 700.

M&M has changed the front strut mounting of the suspension after complains from initial customers.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 21:42   #30
BHPian

Scorpio N v/s XUV700 AX3/AX5

Dear fellow BHpians, I am in a bit of dilemma - unsure whether I should keep my current Z6 booking or switch over to XUV700 AX3 Diesel/AX5 Petrol and would be grateful to receive your feedback and suggestions. Let me explain.

I initially went for the Z6 because of the sheer VFM it offered - I needed a safe and comfortable 7 seater (occasional 7 seater use when my kids use it) that would primarily ferry around my parents (both non-drivers). It came with ESP (an absolute must for me), 5* rating (another must have) and I managed to get it with the introductory pricing. Expected annual mileage below 10K.

Didn't consider XUV700 at that point since ESP was only offered in the higher AX7/L variants and I didn't have the budget to stretch that far. So far so good.

Two things changed since then which has prompted this re-look:
1. ESP offered as optional extra on lower XUV 700 variants
2. Have the budget to stretch by another 3-4 lacs .

Positives for Scorpio N Z6:
1.Guaranteed delivery for when I need it (Aug '23)
2. Butch looks and minimal electronics compared to XUV700
3. Cheaper by 3-4 lacs vis-a-vis XUV700

Positives for XUV700:
1. Better space management, esp for 3rd row with 50:50 fold
2. ESP now available in AX3 Diesel and AX5 Petrol
3. Budget available to go for AX5 Petrol and avoid DPF related worries - our drive will be occasional but when driven, it will mostly be on highways. So the car would be sitting idle for 4-5 days in a week and see some highway runs of ~150 odd kms the other days.
4. More comfort for 2nd row passengers being monocoque

What I dont know is which of the two is relatively niggle free? Would it be fair to assume that most of the initial niggles in the XUV have now been sorted?
Also, my SA has guaranteed delivery of either AX3/AX5 by Aug if I were to book now.

Need your help. Thank you.

Note: Mods, I have posted the same on the Scorpio-N review thread. Please move/combine if appropriate. Thanks.
akannath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks