BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti Brezza AT vs Tata Nexon AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Sonet - 1 year+
Brezza - 9 months
Nexon - 6 months
Slavia - Immediate (some colors only) and with 8 inch screen
Venue - 2-3 months for DCT, IMT and manual available immediately (some colors only)
Kiger - 15 days
Is this applicable even if i have a pre-booking before launch? I booked Brezza 10 days before launch.
Old 13th July 2022, 09:41   #17
BHPian

I can just say book your car soon because Maruti has set the segment higher in terms of pricing and very soon other players will also catch up. Today you feel Brezza atrociously priced, in coming days you will start feeling the whole segment is atrociously priced.

If safety is priority for you, leave aside Korean twins no matter how good their package is.

Test drive Slavia/Virtus to understand their ground clearance capabilities. Regarding ASS go with the buy process if a workshop is close to you.

The biggest factor IMO is :
If you keep your cars for a long period of time, go with Brezza top model eyes closed even if you feel it is atrociously priced. However if your ownership timeline is short then you can go for another model/car.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:39   #18
BHPian

Since your shortlisted cars are Brezza and Nexon, I assume that you are looking for SUV body styles. You should add the new Hyundai Venue to your list (ASEAN NCAP rating of 4 stars). Although it's available with a DCT, my pick would be the iMT for its long term reliability. The endless number of features including cruise control and paddle shifters are just a set of bonus! Cheers!
Old 13th July 2022, 11:08   #19
BHPian

Between Brezza and Nexon, Brezza surely has a better AT solution, but Nexon's turbo petrol is more powerful on paper and on road. I've test driven the older petrol S-Cross, which came with the 1.5 engine of last gen Brezza, coupled with a 4 speed AT, and dropped the idea because of lacklusture performance when I wanted to overtake. From the reviews, it looks like the newer 1.5 engine + 6 speed AT is even less eager to move. On the other hand, Nexon in sport mode is surprisingly torquey for overtaking.

Last edited by SlowRider : 13th July 2022 at 11:09. Reason: Revised to add the piece about latest 1.5 engine on Brezza
Old 13th July 2022, 11:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZ View Post
Is this applicable even if i have a pre-booking before launch? I booked Brezza 10 days before launch.
Not sure about that, however going by my experience, what the dealer commits vs when the car gets actually gets delivered are too far apart.
Old 13th July 2022, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Motorheads,

I am searching for a car for past 1 year with below requirements.

Usage: 50 km/ week city usage for a family of two. 900KM round trip in highways once in 2 months to my hometown.

Requirements:
  • Safety 4 or more stars with ESP preferably.
  • Fuss-free ownership with good after-sale service and parts availability.
  • Great ride quality and good NVH levels for poor Bangalore roads.
  • Decent mileage.
  • Beginner-level driver with 3000KM driven so far. So I will need good visibility of the bonnet/rear and corners. I need a height-adjustable driver seat and rear parking camera. if I can get a 360-degree camera or front sensor, it will be great. But I can live without them.
  • Cruise control for highway rides. Paddle shifter optional.
  • Boot space minimum 300 litre and foldable rear seats.
  • Hill assist.
  • creep function for bumper to bumper traffic.
Hello Viz

Though in all probability this may be an option you would have considered and discarded, I can't help but notice that all these features are available in the Baleno Zeta AMT which retails for 10.5L on road in Bengaluru with extended warranty. You even get 6 airbags and Suzuki connect on the Zeta variant.

To list down the cons compared to Brezza ZXI+:-
  • Rear seat space - small advantage - and since you're a family of 2, should't be a problem. Baleno is still having one of the best rear seat space in the segment
  • Boot space - 328L for Brezza vs 318L for Baleno - again a very insignificant difference
  • AMT vs TC automatic - You have to take a call whether this is a deal breaker, personally for me TC isn't worth the price premium paid (in this case ~7 L)
  • Ground clearance - 170 mm for Baleno vs 198 mm for the Brezza. This would probably concern you the most, considering that you mentioned pathetic Bengaluru roads. However, this is again remedied by up-sizing the tyres on the same rims - from 195/55R16 to 195/60R16. Note that this will increase the diameter by just over 3%, which is still acceptable and I have personally verified this on a friend's car as he was facing persistent issues with the 195/55R16 size on poor roads and there was enough clearance with the wheel wells, he has done 10k+ km trouble free. This size bumps up the GC by ~10 mm.
  • Sunroof Lack of Sunroof on any variant of the Baleno. You didn't mention this as a strict requirement so I'm assuming this is not a deal breaker.

If I were you, I would pocket the 7L and go for the Baleno Zeta AMT, but do go through my points once and see if the cons are a dealbreaker for you.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 13th July 2022, 19:07   #22
VIZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post

The biggest factor IMO is :
If you keep your cars for a long period of time, go with Brezza top model eyes closed even if you feel it is atrociously priced. However if your ownership timeline is short then you can go for another model/car.
yes, I plan to keep car for long term unless GOI comes up with some crazy restrictions for petrol cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Hello Viz

If I were you, I would pocket the 7L and go for the Baleno Zeta AMT, but do go through my points once and see if the cons are a dealbreaker for you.

Cheers and good luck!
Thanks for your detailed input. Even though I was looking only for CSUVs, I did like Baleno look. But it was ruled out due to perceived poor safety rating even though GC may be manageable with updated tyres.
Old 13th July 2022, 23:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed input. Even though I was looking only for CSUVs, I did like Baleno look. But it was ruled out due to perceived poor safety rating even though GC may be manageable with updated tyres.
In my opinion, a poor crash rating of a particular model (where the base variant is tested) is easily offset by going for a variant with the maximum safety features. For example, I would rather go for a Baleno Zeta or Alpha variant with 6 airbags than a 5 star rated Nexon with 4 airbags (No curtain airbags). Just some food for thought.

Also if you’re particular about cSUVs, there’s Maruti’s upcoming YTB which is coming early next year, which will compete with Kiger/Magnite/Punch if you have the bandwidth to delay your purchase.

Cheerio
Old 14th July 2022, 08:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'd say pick the Brezza Vxi AT between the two vehicles you have mentioned. It's got most of the basics covered -except maybe the rear wiper. Zxi and Zxi+ are way overpriced for what they offer. You might as well wait for / book the Hyryder/ Grand Vitara. Their entry models might make more sense than the top 2 variants of the Brezza. Sonet fared poorly in NCAP rating - the main reason not to pick the Sonet over the Brezza.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 11:10   #25

Quote:
I am in the same boat as you, However please add one more aspect for your considerations, the wait time! following are the wait times told on the phone for delivery in Bangalore.

Sonet - 1 year+
Brezza - 9 months
Nexon - 6 months
Venue - 2-3 months for DCT, IMT and manual available immediately (some colors only)
Kiger - 15 days
//
Tata motor dealer in Bangalore North says 5 months for Nexon XZA; MUL Dealer is confident of getting Brezza ZXI AT in about 6 weeks. - these are yesterday's (13 Jul) feedback. You are right - lead time is also becoming a serious consideration nowadays. ///
Old 14th July 2022, 11:24   #26

Quote:
Hi Motorheads,

I am searching for a car for past 1 year with below requirements.

Usage: 50 km/ week city usage for a family of two. 900KM round trip in highways once in 2 months to my hometown.

Requirements:
  • Safety 4 or more stars with ESP preferably.
  • Fuss-free ownership with good after-sale service and parts availability.
  • Great ride quality and good NVH levels for poor Bangalore roads.
  • Decent mileage.
  • Beginner-level driver with 3000KM driven so far. So I will need good visibility of the bonnet/rear and corners. I need a height-adjustable driver seat and rear parking camera. if I can get a 360-degree camera or front sensor, it will be great. But I can live without them.
  • Cruise control for highway rides. Paddle shifter optional.
  • Boot space minimum 300 litre and foldable rear seats.
  • Hill assist.
  • creep function for bumper to bumper traffic.

Initially after researching and few TDs, I decided to go for Nexon ZXA+ (O) in last October. At that time, I saw leaked images of new Brezza. Maruti's reliability, TC over Nexon's AMT and 360 degree camera lured me to wait till new Brezza is released.
I made a prebooking of Brezza ZXI+ AT in June with Bimal Autos, Whitefield, Bangalore.

Now that new Brezza is released, I find ZXI+ AT to be priced atrociously. I cannot bring myself to pay close to 18 lakh for a sub 4M compact SUV from Maruti. So here are my options now

1) Go with new Brezza ZXI+AT for Maruti's peace of ownership and decent safety rating (assuming previous generation crash rating still holds)

2) Compromise on 360 degree camera and safety a bit (live with only 2 air bags) and go for one variant lower at Brezza ZXI AT. I am also not sure if ZXI will have Suzuki connect subscription which I would like to have.

3) Go with Nexon AMT ZXA+ (O) which means compromise on gear box (AMT) and unreliable TASS.

4) Open to crowd wisdom here and consider other options which may fit by requirements. BTW, I found Slavia's look to be a head turner, but I am not sure of their claimed 179 GC which is essential for the Bangalore potholes. Another issue is Skoda car's reliability concerns and ASS.
//

Thanks for the detailed post bro. Am in identical dilemma and my requirements are almost what you have mentioned.

Saw new Brezza yesterday; vehicle look good and spacious. To me MUL is one of the Electronics first (automobile engineering next) companies and loaded Brezza with good feature sets. Yes - pricing is a dampener; TD not available yet. Crash worthiness yet to be ascertained - though the sheet metal and welding joints appear a tad better than the outgoing Vitara Brezza. Judgement reserved till TD.

A suggestion : XUV 300 AT Petrol / Diesel is another choice - guess not appearing in your shortlist due to low boot space. Else the car appear good. Wait period still close to 4 months for W8Opt. petrol AT. Since you are two in travel mostly, you may manage with foldable rear for extra boot needs.

Couple of shortcomings about XUV300 though are : a) No rear AC Vent; b) Hill assist has to be activated through a switch is what I am told (what is automatic then ?

Friends responding to this main post may also consider XUV 300 as a choice to share your views so that I can piggy bag in this post itself.

PS : I had booked and cancelled Taigun 1.0AT a month ago and back to the next ordering process.

Thx.
Old 14th July 2022, 12:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the same boat as you, However please add one more aspect for your considerations, the wait time! following are the wait times told on the phone for delivery in Bangalore.

Sonet - 1 year+
Brezza - 9 months
Nexon - 6 months
Kiger - 15 days
None of the above should be taken at face value!. These are vague numbers quoted by dealers usually with a huge margin. Under promise and overdeliver is what they follow. There are so many factors in it. The variant, color, transmission type, city, district, state, a bit of influence here and there, somebody canceling, and God knows how many other factors like these covid restrictions, chip shortage, plant issues, transportation, RTO related, etc.

Obviously, they cannot pinpoint even a tentative date with so many challenges. So luck plays a huge part on when we get to lay our hands on the car.
Old 15th July 2022, 07:28   #28
BHPian

The new Brezza is similarly spec'd like the good old Ford Ecosport AT (which I use to own). Except a few more features added like HUD, 360 camera etc. But that 1.5 l K15C engine's power and Torque output is underwhelming to say the least. But we know what happened to Ford India.

For your budget, Don't even consider an AMT if Automatic transmission is a must have feature on your next car. Torque Convertor AT is the best option to go for.

I will also strongly suggest to stay away from the Korean twins at all costs. Not worth the money for brands with hideous structural build for India. Sadly people still consider Korean twins to be safer than Maruti Suzuki cars. But Global NCAP results say otherwise. But Brezza is already well above other Maruti Suzuki cars because of its use of Global C platform over Heartect.

So, having said all this. The reason why Maruti Suzuki is comfortably pricing the Brezza AT like this, its because they know, there is not much option to consider for the buyer.

New Grand Vitara AT might be a bit more costly but if budget is flexible, can be given a consideration.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 15th July 2022 at 07:31.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 08:12   #29
BHPian

I was also scouting for a well packaged product in a similar budget. My top three recommendations for your usage would be:

1.Nexon EV which gives a driving experience like no other. It has much better auto than AMT and provides adequate range for your usage, offer best safety features and hill hold. Even if you are not buying it yet take a Test Drive.

2. Honda City Gen 4, I have been using a 3rd gen City, it is a very likeable car overall. Fuss free and reliable ownership, that addictive Ivtec experience, spacious interiors and a proper sedan at the cost of compromised CSUVs. Speed builds smoother (though little slower) but offers much better driving experience than turbo petrols.

3. Slavia. Only for its stunning looks and Skoda badge. As your usage is less hence maintenance should not be much of problem. Do purchase comprehensive service packages.

Do take comprehensive test drives with your family before purchase.

All the best.

Cheers!
Old 15th July 2022, 09:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that new Brezza is released, I find ZXI+ AT to be priced atrociously. I cannot bring myself to pay close to 18 lakh for a sub 4M compact SUV from Maruti.
Just on the pricing part, it is atrocious but to give you an insight, here are some findings I had done a while ago on the S-Cross's Zeta vs Alpha variants.

Alpha was about 1.2 lakhs more than the Zeta which was quite well kitted so did some research(courtesy Boodmo) and found the following :
- The headlights on the Zeta were halogen projectors at 5500 a piece so 11000 for the the set.
- Alpha had LED units with DRLs and those were about 22000 a piece so 44000 for the set.
- Alpha also has automatic headlights so the auto headlight controller was 30000 in itself and the right headlight was 800 more than the left so I am assuming that the auto sensor was housed in the right unit.

So just for the LED headlights with automatic control the cost delta was (44+30-11) = 63000
The Alpha also had LED tail lights, auto wipers, leatherette seats and some more stuff on the ICE which was covered in the remaining 60000.

Point is that it isn't palpable but anything automatic costs a lot and so does anything LED at least when MSIL is concerned so do consider that when selecting your variants whether the features being offered are actually what you really need.
Like in the example above using your hand to switch on the headlights can save you 30800 + tax and likewise for other features

I am assuming similar stuff for the other manufacturers too but I haven't delved into them.

Last edited by shancz : 15th July 2022 at 09:13. Reason: grm
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks