Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 01:01   #1
VIZ
BHPian

2022 Maruti Brezza AT vs Tata Nexon AMT

Hi Motorheads,

I am searching for a car for past 1 year with below requirements.

Usage: 50 km/ week city usage for a family of two. 900KM round trip in highways once in 2 months to my hometown.

Requirements:
  • Safety 4 or more stars with ESP preferably.
  • Fuss-free ownership with good after-sale service and parts availability.
  • Great ride quality and good NVH levels for poor Bangalore roads.
  • Decent mileage.
  • Beginner-level driver with 3000KM driven so far. So I will need good visibility of the bonnet/rear and corners. I need a height-adjustable driver seat and rear parking camera. if I can get a 360-degree camera or front sensor, it will be great. But I can live without them.
  • Cruise control for highway rides. Paddle shifter optional.
  • Boot space minimum 300 litre and foldable rear seats.
  • Hill assist.
  • creep function for bumper to bumper traffic.

Initially after researching and few TDs, I decided to go for Nexon ZXA+ (O) in last October. At that time, I saw leaked images of new Brezza. Maruti's reliability, TC over Nexon's AMT and 360 degree camera lured me to wait till new Brezza is released.
I made a prebooking of Brezza ZXI+ AT in June with Bimal Autos, Whitefield, Bangalore.

Now that new Brezza is released, I find ZXI+ AT to be priced atrociously. I cannot bring myself to pay close to 18 lakh for a sub 4M compact SUV from Maruti. So here are my options now

1) Go with new Brezza ZXI+AT for Maruti's peace of ownership and decent safety rating (assuming previous generation crash rating still holds)

2) Compromise on 360 degree camera and safety a bit (live with only 2 air bags) and go for one variant lower at Brezza ZXI AT. I am also not sure if ZXI will have Suzuki connect subscription which I would like to have.

3) Go with Nexon AMT ZXA+ (O) which means compromise on gear box (AMT) and unreliable TASS.

4) Open to crowd wisdom here and consider other options which may fit by requirements. BTW, I found Slavia's look to be a head turner, but I am not sure of their claimed 179 GC which is essential for the Bangalore potholes. Another issue is Skoda car's reliability concerns and ASS.
VIZ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 06:33   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZ View Post
I am searching for a car for the past 1 year with the below requirements.
Considering your requirements, I would like to suggest to you the following cars besides the above:

1. Renault Kiger and Nissan Magnite
Although built to a cost, 1.0 litre the Turbo Petrol CVT is a great engine and gearbox combination, and you can get the feature loaded RXZ variant of the Kiger or XV Premium variant of the Magnite in this budget, Both have 4 star safety ratings from Global NCAP, although the after sales service of Nissan seems lacking, the Cars do offer everything else like 360 degree camera in Magnite or front parking sensors in Kiger (added accessory pack), 4 airbags in case of Kiger or much more passive safety features in Magnite. Boot space is good too and both these cars offer cruise control, creep function and foldable seats (60-40 split), moreover the Magnite offers Hill assist too.

2. Kia Sonet
You can take a good look at the KIA Sonet 1.5L HTX Torque Converter Diesel Automatic. It has almost all the features you need at an on-road price under 15 lakhs in Bangalore. Moreover, it comes with 4 airbags and the 1.5 litre diesel engine is lifted right out of the Seltos producing 113 bhp of power and 250 nm of torque, Mileage is great too and it offers great performance, Moreso than all of its other engine combinations.
Although not a crash tested car it is likely to score 3 stars considering it is based on similar platforms as its elder siblings, however you get almost all active safety features you need like ABS, EBD, TC, BA, ESP, Hill hold control, Highline TPMS and its feature loaded too with wireless android auto and apple carplay , sunroof along with a great engine and gearbox combination. Moreover, the interiors and quality, fit and finish are much better than its rivals.
You do get great ride quality and good NVH levels (you hardly would know whether it's a diesel or petrol), great mileage, rear parking camera, cruise control, paddle shifters, 392 litre boot as well. However, the seats are just bench folding and not 60-40 split. Also seats at the back are not as spacious as in the Nexon.

But if you are sticking to the above-mentioned options, i.e. Brezza and Nexon only, I would recommend Tata Nexon for its better value for money quotient as compared to the Maruti Suzuki Brezza.

Considering the Brezza ZXI+ AT, it has a 1.5 litre petrol engine and therefore we are paying a higher tax rate (43%) as compared to lower tax rate (29%) for sub 4 metre vehicles having petrol engines up to 1200cc for which the Tata Nexon and almost all other Petrol sub 4 metre SUVs qualify. As for diesel powered vehicles like Nexon, XUV300, Venue and Sonet, they qualifty for Tax rate of 31% being sub 4 metre SUVs with diesel engine of displacement lower than 1500cc.

The new 6 speed Torque Converter Gearbox also adds to the cost as it is imported.

So, the added features, new Torque Converter Gearbox and tax disadvantage are the major reasons for the higher pricing of the Brezza. However, the earlier Brezza still had the same engine though!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th July 2022 at 14:13. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 07:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2022 Maruti Brezza AT vs Tata Nexon AMT

Brezza’s pricing is atrocious, I see no sense in going for that car at that price. Especially when so many options are available.

You specifically mentioned good ride. Nexon has a very sorted suspension overall, but the low speed ride is rather stiff. Smoothens out nicely as speeds rise. Do take a long test drive to see if it works for you.

Your top choice should be the Honda City CVT. Comfortable, reliable, efficient, huge boot and much better street cred than Brezza and Nexon. Upgrade to fatter tires and that takes care of ground clearance issues for 99% people.

I have my reservations over the long term reliability and internal cost cutting of the Slavia. But since your expected usage is very limited, you may risk it. Go for the 1.0 TSi with the torque converter automatic.

Kia Sonet diesel AT could have been the car for you, but that weak crash test rating is not ideal for your long highway trips.

In case you are open to spending 20L, do consider the MG Hector petrol CVT. It’s not the most fuel efficient, but your expected running is too less for it to really matter. Otherwise, it ticks all the boxes and meets all your requirements. It’s urban ride quality is unmatched. Extremely comfortable for cruising.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 11th July 2022 at 07:32.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 08:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: 2022 Maruti Brezza AT vs Tata Nexon AMT

Between the Brezza and Nexon IMO Brezza has better executed features like the bigger and better screens, TC, 6 airbags etc. but that pricing!

The Nexon is quite capable but an AMT on a 14-16 lakh car isn't justified too.

In the end it's your call, do take detailed TD of all your shortlisted cars before taking a call.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 08:25   #5
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti Brezza AT vs Tata Nexon AMT

Since you have shortlisted Brezza, is there a specific reason why you kept the upcoming HyRyder and Vitara out of your consideration?
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:

1) Go with new Brezza ZXI+AT for Maruti's peace of ownership and decent safety rating (assuming previous generation crash rating still holds)
I don't know why nobody has mentioned this but I will.

If your budget is around 16-18 lakh and you're not keen on a sedan like the Skoda Slavia or Honda City then why not look at the KIA Sonet Diesel AT?

The safety kit is better than Maruti (although not at the same level as Tata) and about 16.9 Lakh (on-road Bangalore) gets you a top of the line KIA Sonet GTX+ Diesel Automatic, this goes up to about 17.1 Lakh (again, on-road Bangalore) if you want the GTX+ Dual Tone. The Sonet Diesel AT get a 6 speed torque converter automatic as opposed to the 7 speed DCT in the 1.0 Turbo Petrol so you probably don't have to worry about DCT failures in Indian conditions (Polo GT owners know the hell you must go through once a DCT gearbox goes KAPUT).

You could also wait for the Toyota Hyryder or Maruti Grand Vitara to see how they turn out (although the pricing of the new Brezza doesn't inspire much confidence)

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 11th July 2022 at 11:48.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:51   #7
BHPian

For automatics at this price range, I will suggest to avoid AMT. However since Brezza AT is overpriced, please look at other options too like Kiger or Magnite which also scored similar safety ratings.
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 13:10   #8
BHPian

How about checking Seltos HTK+ iMT. Comes to around ~15 lakhs on road. Although not a proper auto, it still can help free the left foot and you would jump a segment above as well.
lokesharo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:36   #9
VIZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedukrishnan199 View Post
Considering your requirements, I would like to suggest to you the following cars besides the above:

1. Renault Kiger and Nissan Magnite
Thank you. I test drove Magnite last year. We were not happy with interiors and ride comfort in city roads. Otherwise it is the perfect VFM car in this segment.

Only reason I did not consider sonet is because of its safety rating. It is an unknown at this point of time and even the best case scenario points to a potential 3 star rating only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain

Upgrade to fatter tires and that takes care of ground clearance issues for 99% people.
Do you mean 4th or 5th generation city? Will there not be a problem if we use a different size from OEM's recommendation? What is the tyre size you recommend without compromising on peformance and safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123
is there a specific reason why you kept the upcoming HyRyder and Vitara out of your consideration?
I am keeping an eye on that. But i am reluctant as safety rating of that car is unknown at this point of time and looking at Brezza pricing, I doubt if Maruti will price it appropriately for feature loaded top trims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokesharo
How about checking Seltos HTK+ iMT.
main reason to avoid korean twins is their poor safety crash rating.
VIZ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:56   #10
BHPian

I see the OP is almost sold on the Brezza top end AT except for its pricing.

Why not wait another year for the picture to pan out? My thinking is the market is just overheated right now with all the people going into Zindagi na mile dobara mode, as a bounce back from the pandemic.

I reckon as time passes by, the compitition will catch up to the Brezza in terms of pricing or vice versa. If you still like the Brezza, in all likelihood, it would be a less regrettable decision
Romeo_Mike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:57   #11
BHPian

Citroen C3 could be a contender if Manual is an option for you. If you can wait another 6 months, automatic might get launched by Jan 2023. I've driven a C5 and if the smaller sibling is anywhere close to the ride quality and comfort, it will definitely be worth the wait!
Old 12th July 2022, 16:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Do you mean 4th or 5th generation city? Will there not be a problem if we use a different size from OEM's recommendation? What is the tyre size you recommend without compromising on peformance and safety?
City = Gen 5.

I own a Gen4, it is too cost cut and compromised to be recommended.

Tyre upgrades are easily done, there are entire threads here on tyre upgrades for the City. My own car runs on 205/60 on the stock 15inch alloys. 205/50R16 is very doable on the Gen 5.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:13   #13
BHPian

I am in the same boat as you, However please add one more aspect for your considerations, the wait time! following are the wait times told on the phone for delivery in Bangalore.

Sonet - 1 year+
Brezza - 9 months
Nexon - 6 months
Slavia - Immediate (some colors only) and with 8 inch screen
Venue - 2-3 months for DCT, IMT and manual available immediately (some colors only)
Kiger - 15 days
Old 12th July 2022, 23:27   #14
VIZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
I see the OP is almost sold on the Brezza top end AT except for its pricing.

I reckon as time passes by, the compitition will catch up to the Brezza in terms of pricing or vice versa
Looking at recent price increases, In all likelihood it will be other OEMs to catch up with Maruti in pricing

Brezza is not the best , but it ticks the most boxes. I think a perfect car doesn't exist in sub compact SUV segment.
Old 12th July 2022, 23:31   #15
VIZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
Citroen C3 could be a contender if Manual is an option for you. If you can wait another 6 months, automatic might get launched by Jan 2023.
Ruled out new brands for lack of wide service reach and unknown status of their commitment to India operations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks