Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 19:12   #1
BHPian

Need a replacement for my VW Polo GT TSI - Confused!

Hi fellow BHPians,
I am in the market to replace my 6.5 years old VW Polo GT TSI. My other car is a 6 years old Mahindra Scorpio 4wd. The requirements for the replacement car as I have listed down are:
1. It has to be an automatic transmission since wife will also drive it.
2. Powerful engine (I am spoilt by the GT TSI)
3. Must be a sub 4m car, a compact SUV or a hatchback with good GC since in this part of the country the roads are full of potholes, especially in monsoon
4. Can be a petrol or a diesel
5. Safety kit and features
6. Budget is maximum 16 lacs on road
7. Good service centre network. Generally I am not posted in metro or tier 1 cities of India.
8. I was trying to avoid getting a car with a sunroof as I work in a thermal power plant ; the atmosphere here is always filled with ash/dust particles. But I am not having this criteria as a strict one since I am seeing that almost all the cars' top models these days come with a sunroof.
9. No VW group cars. The nearest service centre is around 350km from my location.
Now, the buyer's dilemma begins. The cars I have shortlisted and considered along with their pros/cons are mentioned below:
1. Hyundai Venue
I almost booked the Venue 1.0 turbo DCT S(O). But, various nightmarish stories regarding DCT reliability were running at the back of the mind. Though my GT TSI DQ200 7 speed DSG box did not break down in these 6 years, I am not sure whether I can live with that fear of uncertainty in my mind again. Also, the looks of Venue is not getting a green signal from home ministry. Though I haven't persuaded her since I am not sure about getting this car.
Otherwise, the S(O) variant was fulfilling all my needs. It is not having a sunroof also. It does have a rear wash and wipe. At 12.8 lacs on the road, indeed it is a sweet deal.
2. Kia Sonet
I am inclined towards the diesel AT in GTX+ variant. I am not considering the turbo petrol with DCT because in that case I can always buy the Venue which will be having a better service network coverage and resale value.
Now regarding the diesel AT, I drove the car and loved it. My monthly travel will be around 800-1000 kms in mainly typical rural Indian roads with some mix of highway.
The confusion in this car comes from the fact that how wide is Kia's service coverage network and the DPF issues in BS6 engines.
3. Mahindra XUV 3OO
I am considering the diesel AMT here. I am concerned about lack of rear AC vents and the infamous AMT jerkyness. Also, I am already having a Mahindra in my garage. (This is not a logical argument, I agree)
4. Tata Nexon
Same issue as of XUV. There is no proper auto box. Only AMT is available.
I am hell confused. Please give your valuable opinions so that I can make an informed decision. I am also open to comments suggesting a car which I haven't considered yet. Thank you all in advance.
By the way, I am not considering the Maruti cars because their engines don't excite me (no offence to the present/prospective owners)
DrivingNirvana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:01   #2
BHPian

re: Need a replacement for my VW Polo GT TSI - Confused!

Few questions before I could actually give a genuine comment:

1. How many KMs per day?
2. Feasibility of having a charging unit installed at your house?
3. Since you already have a diesel for long drives, why no electric been shortlisted?
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Few questions before I could actually give a genuine comment:

1. How many KMs per day?
2. Feasibility of having a charging unit installed at your house?
3. Since you already have a diesel for long drives, why no electric been shortlisted?
1. Around 60 kms daily for 4 days a week
2. Not at all possible , since live in a company owned township
3. Yes I have a diesel, but in this part of the country having a electric vehicle is not practical due to lack of infrastructure and other rural environment issues.
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

There are two issues with most cars: no proper automatic (AMT and DCT are not the best IMO) and potential issues with BS 6 Diesel engines.

My suggestion is to buy a car with conventional AT like TC or CVT. Don’t compromise on AT as it’s something you will have to deal with all the time. Engine risks should be fine if push comes to shove.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 22:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Any particular reason to replace the GT TSI? None of the shortlisted cars will give the pure driving pleasure of the TSI+DSG Combo. Especially the AMTs would be a strict no no. Will be a nightmare compared to the TSI+DSG combo.

The Venue seems an ok choice from the shortlist assuming there is a strong reason to upgrade
Rajeevraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Any particular reason to replace the GT TSI?
From my present place of posting, the nearest VW service centre is around 350km. So, firstly I need to take 3 days leave if I need to visit the service centre due to any reason.

Secondly, God forbid, if that DQ 200 fails, I will be stranded here completely. There is no RSA available here.

Thirdly, the eternal itch to drive a new car

So, I am thinking to replace the car till it can garner me some value in monetary terms.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2022 at 14:47. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:52   #7
BHPian

AMTs may not be as bad as pointed out by many BHPians if driven like MT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAD73 View Post
Having used the Celerio AMT for over 70000 kms, I can vouch for its trouble free operation and convenience in city traffic. The jerkiness of the AMT unit can be controlled to a large extent by simply releasing the accelerator pedal momentarily at the right speeds to facilitate gearshifts, once this is mastered the drive is quite pleasurable. Do check out the new Celerio as well, its the most fuel efficient hatchback at the moment.
I TD'ed Swift, Santro and it10 AMTs, and I felt Hyundai AMTs are much better, but unfortunately Huyndai does not have AMT in compact SUV/SUV segment.

Please TD Nexon AMT and i10 AMT, if you find Nexon is better or on par with i10, you may consider it.

I was initially going to mention Brezza VXI AT, but looks like you ruled it out due to your #2 condition, which is non-negotiable, I guess?
bivision is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

No mainstream car is going to come close to the driving experience of your Polo. Let’s be clear. Your car is only 6 years old. Give it some love, and it will serve you well for another 3 years. The automotive scene should be very different then with all kinds of hybrid and EV options to choose from.

That being said, your best option for a new car today is the Kia Sonet diesel AT. DPF issues are something all buyers must learn to live with now.

You have a budget of 16L. Consider adding another 2 and go for the Mahindra Thar. Diesel or petrol, your choice. Sub 4m, automatic, powerful, safe, high GC, and Mahindra service is everywhere. Meets all of your requirements. It is very easy to drive around, women love it. And it is MAD fun.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 23rd August 2022 at 08:05.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
1. Around 60 kms daily for 4 days a week
2. Not at all possible , since live in a company owned township
3. Yes I have a diesel, but in this part of the country having a electric vehicle is not practical due to lack of infrastructure and other rural environment issues.
Then go for Thar AT. You already own a Mahindra so I suppose servicing isnt a problem. Thar may need additional few lakhs over 16L budget and some wait time. However it should be well worth the money, time and efforts.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:12   #10
BHPian

Re: Need a replacement for my VW Polo GT TSI - Confused!

Here are my 2 cents , considering your preference list (have recommended all petrol).

1. XUV 300 facelift (expected in 2-3 months) - powerful engine, will hopefully come with proper TC

2. Sonet DCT - Considering your low running , DPF issue will trouble you in diesel. Hence recommended petrol.

3. Nissan Kicks 1.3 turbo CVT - Drivers car with sorted handling, hydraulic steering; Suspension will easily take care of those craters. No latest gizmos though.

4. Brezza AT - all rounder, and safe choice (although may not be fun drive)

Last edited by baarish84 : 23rd August 2022 at 14:14.
baarish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 18:54   #11
BHPian

Non of the options mentioned are replacement of Polo GT but with service centre issue non negotiable, plus keeping in mind high running in rural roads, I would suggest you to go for punchy Diesel with tough build.
Its XUV 300 !
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 14:09   #12
BHPian

It's a really tough job to find a worthy car that can replace the legendary Polo GT TSI. I would've recommended you to stick with the Polo for some more time but the distance of the Service Centre from your location isn't allowing me to do so!

From my perspective, the Hyundai's DCT is nowhere near to the VW's DSG in any aspect, so the safe bet would be to look for a car with either CVT or AT.

Nissan Kicks 1.3 Turbo CVT is a great car, very much underrated! Engine is powerful but the gearbox is CVT, so ehhh it's ok it will get your job done.

If you've got some time to spare, you can wait till the launch of XUV300's facelift (expected in the coming months).
If you can't wait and you want a car immediately, then the safe bet would be to choose the Venue DCT Petrol since your running is low and, God forbid, if the DCT fails you've got Hyundai Service Centre near you. But you will have to convince the home ministry to adjust with the looks of the car.

Hope my reply helps you in some way or the other!
Good Luck.
TechnoBloop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 14:44   #13
BHPian

Hey,

Why lose a diamond when the market is filled with nothing but coal.
Show her some love. Get a remap and an exhaust and air filter. Invest in an upgraded head unit with some sweet speakers.

If looks excite you, get a wrap and some nice wheels.

Trust me, no car will be as exciting as the power hatches of yesterday. I have seen people pick up Jetta and Laura to do the same and still save lakhs than the top end city or slavia.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 15:35   #14
BHPian

Not going to comment on Polo - it is your call to keep it, however 6 years is too young to update for the sake of updating.

Amongst the choices - I would pick up the Sonet Diesel AT. A powerful and super refined engine mated to a stress free TC box. Repeating that - its a small car with a healthy engine displacement.

I would like to believe that the DPF issues with Diesels aren't as serious as DCT issues. Would be glad to be corrected if my assumption is wrong.
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 20:10   #15
BHPian

Honestly Thar makes the most sense. Also, did you have a look at i20 N-Line?

Personally recommend a honda city with tyre upgrade for added ground clearance. I mean though not being a sub 4m it's reliability will surely be a plus in a 2nd tier or below area
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks