Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 13:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Used Toyota Fortuner

If you plan to cover a lot of Kms in the next 7-8 years, please go for the Fortuner. It will be less troublesome to maintain. I own a Fortuner and have tried the Scorpio N in test drive etc, so I think I have some context.

However, if you can up your budget somewhat, a new XUV700 is ANYDAY a better buy than an used Fortuner
Old 14th September 2022, 15:47   #17
BHPian

On one hand you have the famed Toyota reliability and finesse, and on the other hand you have a new Mahindra product that will definitely have it's fair share of niggles going by precedents, and is definitely not in the same class of SUV's as the Fortuner. You might also want to check what you'll be missing in the Fortuner when it comes to in car tech, considering it'll be a few years old. However, you'll need to ensure you get a really well maintained Fortuner for what you're paying and that might be the difficult part. If you manage to secure one, then it's really a no contest. Fortuner it is.
BrakeDancer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 19:32   #18
BHPian

Personally, I would prefer to have Scorpio N as it brings some freshness. It will be very light on your pocket in the long term. You can take it anywhere in India and still you will be able to fix issues. The ride quality of S-N still not in the level of e.g. Duster or even XUV700, and as well some shortage of space here and there. I see XUV 5OO driven like mad and holding together well and Scorpio-N should easily replicate this phenomenon.

Fortuner's reliability and Toyota badge is unmatched by even the SUVs in the same range (e.g. Endeavour etc.), so, Scorpio N is not all a match for that for sure. But, with the half the price almost, whether Fortuner justifies the price difference? No (if it is new!). Here it is 2nd hand and if you could find one less than 50k mileage, single owner, D-AT, for around 26-29 (updated version, not the old one), then it is a deal. The added advantage with Toyota Fortuner is that the resale value. Expect higher maintenance costs on average per year.

If you can not find a good used Toyota Fortuner, then Scorpio N is the way to go and no other SUV is there that can give the value that this one gives. PERIOD.

I was in the market to upgrade my Innova 2013. Just by looking at the on the road price of Fortuner, I decided to go for X1! Thanks Toyota!

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, MS, T-Fort, ANHV, JC) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2022 at 19:51. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 14th September 2022, 22:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
@mods apologies for the back to back posts - please merge if required
@OP - do see if this interests you https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...uner/d3118818/
The interiors look clean - a key condition for to when evaluating a used car. I did contemplate driving down to udupi to check it out.
The car looks neat and well-maintained, but I'm specifically looking for the current generation Fortuner. I have decided to get the Scorpio-N since most of them are considering it.
Old 14th September 2022, 22:48   #20
BHPian

Hey PetroNerd,

I was in a similar state of mind about a month or so back, having booked the Scorpio-N but the heart still wavering for the ever elusive good condition Endeavour!

I found an absolute gem of a car with less than 10k kms on the ODO, a 2019 Ford Endeavour 3.2ltr AT 4WD, of course a couple of lacs more expensive than what the Scorpion-N would have costed but I just couldn't resist letting the Endeavour slip and went for it.

So my (biased) vote would be for the Fortuner in your case, even though logic says otherwise. Yes the pre-owned pricing for the Fortuner and Endeavour is just crazy as of now so from a financial stand point and a lot of other factors too, the Scorpio-N is more sensible but to me car/ bike decisions have never been based on logic or sense

Cheers and all the best,
Ankit

Last edited by ankitwanchoo : 14th September 2022 at 22:54.
ankitwanchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 01:37   #21
BHPian

After owning/driving all the iterations of Tata Safari and Mahindra Thar, XUV and Scorpio, I am happy that I picked the 2021 Fortuner. It's a great product and somehow I feel the price justifies it when you put the Pseudo SUVs into the picture. If you want to take your car on cross country runs, Toyota wins, Scorpio N is not a match of the new Fortuner. Other than Ride quality, I don't feel anywhere any other Ladder Frame comes closer(Except Endeavour 3.2). The power with which the new engine pulls and the rattle free experience without any electronics going wrong is the Forte of Fortuner. It will take you anywhere without any drama and the newer iteration is a hoot to drive in the Sports mode.

My suggestion, if the budget allows, pick a newer one i.e 2019/20 Year. I know from my own experience of driving Land Cruisers and the crude earlier gen fortuners/Hilux in remote Africa, these cars are solid and can take a lot of abuse without missing a beat. If money is a constraint, pick a scorpio. If you can find a 3.2 Endeavour, give it a spin and if your heart says yes, pick it.

If you want to drive through the urban jungle, pick a lower variant of the XUV and it will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. But, none of the vehicles mentioned will be able to match the robustness of the Fortuner, I may be wrong, but it's my opinion based on driving 4x4s to the places where only 4x4s can go.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Slushmaster is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroNerd View Post
The car looks neat and well-maintained, but I'm specifically looking for the current generation Fortuner. I have decided to get the Scorpio-N since most of them are considering it.
Hope you have a confirmed booking already, else this is going to be a long wait.

Link (Mahindra Scorpio-N commands a waiting period of 2 years)
Old 15th September 2022, 15:46   #23
BANNED

Any day go in for Scorpio. I am big fan of pre-owned vehicles but very hard to get lesser driven good condition fortuner at a good price. Most of the cars will be prices higher than what you would.like to spend on. As GTO said ride is indeed very harsh. Once inside it doesn't even feel like a 50lakh car.

Go in for XUV 700 if you can are ok with insane waiting period
Old 15th September 2022, 17:35   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would personally go for the Scorpio-N. Reasons = better ride quality (Fortuner is too bumpy for my tastes), lighter steering (Fortuner too heavy at low speeds) and the Scorpio-N is a breeze to drive in the city (Fortuner requires effort).
I totally agree with GTO. I had the Fortuner for 6 years and the ride quality was poor and the steering was heavy and tiring to drive at low speeds in traffic.
I do not know the noise levels in the Scorpio-N but the Fortuner was noisy as heck. I was unaware of the noise deadening solutions at the time, but, If I had known, that was the first thing I would have done to the Fortuner.
chandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 18:48   #25
BHPian

I own the Toyota Fortuner. And I would vote for it for its "indestructibility". Whenever you get in a tricky situation, Fortuner would make no fuss about it and at the same time do for lakhs of KMs.
How many Scorpios exist with several lakhs of KMs on odo, and still be reliable as reliability goes?

I'm not sure of Scorpion'N, but old Scorpio's handling was outright dangerous. Taking data from my ex-employer Zoomcar, the majority of fatalities happened in Scorpios.

Yes, it is noisy at a higher speed, and even I need to get the noise deadening work. But my guess is Scorpio'N will as well be.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th October 2022 at 09:18. Reason: T-Fort -> Toyota Fortuner. Kindly use full names.
Old 15th September 2022, 19:52   #26

Despite how much I dislike the treatment given to the backside of the ScorpioN it's a great car to drive. It's easy to drive in the city traffic ( not something you'll experience with a fortuner) and planted on the highways. Moreover, with all the latest bells and whistles it would be my pick out of the two ( ScorpioN and second hand T-Fort).
I have had an Xuv500 ( 2012 and 2018) as my primary car for last many years and my experience with Mahindra Service Centers have mostly been quite smooth. The only thing I would watch out for is the first batch niggles in Mahindra cars. My first batch XUV had too many to count ( which got resolved eventually) compared to my second one.

Another thing to consider would be how soon you want to be driving your new car. These days it might be easier to plan for a baby than to plan a mahindra.
Old 15th September 2022, 19:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroNerd View Post
I'm in the market for a new or used car and am confused between the Mahindra Scorpio-n and the used Toyota Fortuner. A well maintained Fortuner is around 27-30L.
Which one is the better option?
I'd stay away from a Mahindra at all costs if that's your primary vehicle. Or even secondary. If what you need (not want) is a vehicle with reliability, ease of maintenance and no headache, I'd say go with a Toyota.
However, go with a vehicle which you connect with.
Old 17th September 2022, 22:48   #28

My two cents. Going to agree with Sandy here.

The fortuner is a stiff ride. The XUV is a new product, waiting for its niggles to be sorted.

Why not consider the top spec Innova Crysta in automatic?

It'll tick boxes of reliability and comfort with ease.
Old 18th September 2022, 00:15   #29
BHPian

A Toyota is anyday a good purchase. But having rode in fortuner, the ride is stiff.

Provided your use case justifies a pre worshipped fortuner, I would recommend Scorpio-N after waiting for sometime as it is a Mahindra.

Out of the box, as someone suggested, Hyundai Tucson diesel AWD is a good alternative. It is not a body on frame but you won't go wrong with a Hyundai as well.
Old 20th September 2022, 10:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Isn’t the waiting period of Scorpio-N more than a year? Book the Scorpio-N and get the used Fortuner. Use it for a year and if you like it, cancel Scorpio booking. If not, sell the Fortuner & go ahead with the Scorpio-N. You will anyways get great resale for the T-Fort so no losses & you get to experience the best of both worlds

Last edited by SoumenD : 20th September 2022 at 10:48.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks