Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Used Toyota Fortuner

Friend, if you have to select a car from both the cars, then close your eyes and take a well-maintained Fortuner, because it is a safe, powerful and long-lasting car, Scorpio has got zero stars in safety, courage to buy Scorpio is Mostly in young boys, if I were you I would select Fortuner
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_bareta View Post
Scorpio has got zero stars in safety, courage to buy Scorpio is Mostly in young boys
It's the older gen Scorpio that scored zero.

The Scorpio N is built on an entirely new platform. It has not been crash tested yet but the expectations are that it will score 4/5 stars just like Thar/XUV700.

It will still take courage to buy a Mahindra vehicle in its launch year. Just see the list of niggles in the Thar/700 threads.

The XUV700, which is Mahindra's flagship vehicle, has been around for more than a year and the suspension, software glitches have still not been fixed.
naru80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 00:12   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The XUV 700 is a phenomenal effort by Mahindra and they deserve full marks for it. It is really very good. All the finesse of the Koreans and Japanese and even the Germans is there in the XUV700.
IIRC the XUV700 is just a rebadged Ssanyong Rexton correct? So all the credit for the design and engineering goes to the original companys engineering management and its foreign engineers. Mahindra is just doing manufacturing screwdrivergiri with some optimisations expected in manufacturing technology and surrounding processes for QA certification

Last edited by Ragul : 4th October 2022 at 00:15.
Old 4th October 2022, 09:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
IIRC the XUV700 is just a rebadged Ssanyong Rexton correct?
You’ve got confused between the Alturas G4 and XUV700. The Alturas G4 is the rebadged SsangYong Rexton.
Old 27th May 2023, 12:08   #35

Hello all!

My current dilemma is similar to the discussion on this thread, just that I already own a fortuner and am considering buying a Scorpio N.

To elaborate, I currently own and use a 2015 Fortuner 2WD AT. The car has done 1,50,000km and works perfectly fine. My annual usage is between 15 to 20 thousand kilometers of which around 10 thousand km per year is on the highway. Out of boredom from the usage of the same car, the urge for a change in the car started a few months back.

I have always been an SUV man and would want to change from the fortuner to another SUV with a budget of 10-15 lakh. Assuming my fortuner to fetch around 15-16 lakh, my new car price should be between 25-30 lakh. In this price range the car that actually got my attention is the Scorpio N. I did a test drive of the Z8L variant and liked the car in all respects. However, Iam concerned about the social perception about moving from a Fortuner to Scorpio.

I do not have the option of stretching the budget and can think of three options listed below keeping in view the social perception and financial prudence.

1. Sell my fortuner and buy a Scorpio Z8L. I will get to enjoy a car I like but a new car will depreciate more than my current old car and still leave me dissatisfied about the social perception.

2. Give myself some more time for a car change by sticking to my fortuner for a little longer till my budget improves and then look at options. I will have to live with a car which Iam bored with, but again options for cars equal to or better than a Scorpio N are very costly. I will have to wait for at least two to three years to be financially able to look at options that offer more than the Scorpio N and also satisfy the social perception quotient.

3. Keep the fortuner and stretch the budget by a few lakhs and go with buying a Scorpio N Z4 AT. This gives me a new car without bothering about social perception, but exposes me to fixed expenditure like insurance, depreciation etc on two cars.

Request your thoughts on what I should be considering and also regarding what am I missing in the current thought process. Thanks in advance!
Old 27th May 2023, 12:50   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobile0999 View Post
1. Sell my fortuner and buy a Scorpio Z8L. I will get to enjoy a car I like but a new car will depreciate more than my current old car and still leave me dissatisfied about the social perception.

2. Give myself some more time for a car change by sticking to my fortuner for a little longer till my budget improves and then look at options. I will have to live with a car which Iam bored with, but again options for cars equal to or better than a Scorpio N are very costly. I will have to wait for at least two to three years to be financially able to look at options that offer more than the Scorpio N and also satisfy the social perception quotient.

3. Keep the fortuner and stretch the budget by a few lakhs and go with buying a Scorpio N Z4 AT. This gives me a new car without bothering about social perception, but exposes me to fixed expenditure like insurance, depreciation etc on two cars.

Request your thoughts on what I should be considering and also regarding what am I missing in the current thought process. Thanks in advance!
Fortuner is a car valued highly by all in India, unless you go for Luxury brands, elsewhere (like in the Middle East) it is a car that only those who can't afford a Land Cruiser only buy, and is a car for the not-so-wealthy.

But with Toyota's rock-solid reliability, excellent resale value, and considering the fact that your Fortuner is just 8 years old, I wouldn't recommend selling it at this juncture, considering the fact that you are looking to get a car that is not at par with its stature.

So, the best option would be to wait a couple of years by the time you would be financially able to look at options better than the Scorpio-N.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 13:41   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, Iam concerned about the social perception about moving from a Fortuner to Scorpio.

I do not have the option of stretching the budget and can think of three options listed below keeping in view the social perception and financial prudence.

There are few cars that you can fearlessly stick onto for long, and the Fortuner is one of them. So, definitely you can keep it for 2-3 years while your budget improves. At the same time, if your budget doesn't grow as fast as how car prices grow (just look at the Fortuner pricing rise), then you may have to rethink.

About social perception, yes the ScorpioN is below the Fortuner in the pecking order. But then it also depends on the people who create the perception. For some, it may seem as you have a stable but stagnant wealth, as you just bought the next generation of the same car, not upgraded to the Landcruiser/Vellfire or the German 3. For others, you have bought a big burly SUV, as they may not care if it is a ScorpioN or Fortuner or Landcruiser as long as it is intimidating and in a specific colour. I have also seen people comfortable exchange their 1st gen Fortuner for the Innova Crysta without any lose in status.
Old 27th May 2023, 14:00   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello all!

My current dilemma is similar to the discussion on this thread, just that I already own a fortuner and am considering buying a Scorpio N.

To elaborate, I currently own and use a 2015 Fortuner 2WD AT. The car has done 1,50,000km and works perfectly fine. My annual usage is between 15 to 20 thousand kilometers of which around 10 thousand km per year is on the highway. Out of boredom from the usage of the same car, the urge for a change in the car started a few months back.

However, Iam concerned about the social perception about moving from a Fortuner to Scorpio.

!
Hi!

A lot of people do face this dilema.

Prices of vehicles have really shot up, I believe Toyota's are really leading the queue.

Coming to your query, in case you do not need a 4WD, do consider a Crysta / HyCross etc. And in case you do not need 2 vehicles, buying a lower variant ScorpioN and keeping the Fortuner does not make much of a case to me. Either spruce up the Fortuner (new tires, music system, seats, Android / CarPlay enabled HU) or sell it and get whatever suits your requirement (budget, plus body style type).

I will not comment on social perception as it's something which does not bother me, so can not help there. I think, we give much more weightage to it than required.
Old 27th May 2023, 14:34   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Z8L AT is a must , that is what would give you the satisfaction of a purchase. If you are using this vehicle everyday and you drive relatively high miles in a year, please exchange the old Fortuner and get the N , its silly how easy N is to drive around in the Bangalore traffic or expressways or Nilgiris.
Old 29th May 2023, 14:50   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
But with Toyota's rock-solid reliability, excellent resale value, and considering the fact that your Fortuner is just 8 years old, I wouldn't recommend selling it at this juncture, considering the fact that you are looking to get a car that is not at par with its stature.

So, the best option would be to wait a couple of years by the time you would be financially able to look at options better than the Scorpio-N.
Very true, and his is what makes an upgrade from a fortuner very tough. What budget do you think will open up options for a proper upgrade from a fortuner. Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
There are few cars that you can fearlessly stick onto for long, and the Fortuner is one of them. So, definitely you can keep it for 2-3 years while your budget improves. At the same time, if your budget doesn't grow as fast as how car prices grow (just look at the Fortuner pricing rise), then you may have to rethink.
Thank you for the reply. The indefinite wait for budget to improve is a factor that is pushing me to consider Scorpio N which is a vehicle I liked and can afford comfortably now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Coming to your query, in case you do not need a 4WD, do consider a Crysta / HyCross etc. And in case you do not need 2 vehicles, buying a lower variant ScorpioN and keeping the Fortuner does not make much of a case to me. Either spruce up the Fortuner (new tires, music system, seats, Android / CarPlay enabled HU) or sell it and get whatever suits your requirement (budget, plus body style type).

I will not comment on social perception as it's something which does not bother me, so can not help there. I think, we give much more weightage to it than required.
I do not need a 4WD. Also, like you suggested two vehicles do not seem a financially good option. I feel I can ignore the social perception part and enjoy a new vehicle I like, but as a person, I have a great susceptibility to regret in hindsight. Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Z8L AT is a must , that is what would give you the satisfaction of a purchase. If you are using this vehicle everyday and you drive relatively high miles in a year, please exchange the old Fortuner and get the N , its silly how easy N is to drive around in the Bangalore traffic or expressways or Nilgiris.
I too felt the Scorpio N is a good vehicle for my requirements. It carries the good traits of my old Tata Safari storme like seating posture, driving manners, comfortable ride quality and the like along with a decent feature list. The next available options seem to be very highly priced. Thank you for the reply.
Regards
Old 30th May 2023, 12:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not need a 4WD. Also, like you suggested two vehicles do not seem a financially good option. I feel I can ignore the social perception part and enjoy a new vehicle I like
You have resolved your own dilemma by putting these points across

My first suggestion would be to retain your current Fortuner for at least another 2 years (essentially an ownership span of 10 years, which is apt for a car as reliable and trouble-free as the Fortuner) and then take a call depending on options in the market.

If the itch to change is unbearable (I can relate to that too ), then sell your Fortuner and just go with the Scorpio-N, social perception be damned. It is an amazing vehicle - there is no other SUV like it in the market at its current price point, period!

Good luck!

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th May 2023 at 12:55. Reason: Reduced no. of emoticons
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks