Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 09:59   #1

Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Used Toyota Fortuner

I'm in the market for a new or used car and am confused between the Mahindra Scorpio-n and the used Toyota Fortuner. A well maintained Fortuner is around 27-30L.
Which one is the better option?
PetroNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Used Toyota Fortuner

I would personally go for the Scorpio-N. Reasons = better ride quality (Fortuner is too bumpy for my tastes), lighter steering (Fortuner too heavy at low speeds) and the Scorpio-N is a breeze to drive in the city (Fortuner requires effort).

Of course, the Fortuner is the indisputable big-daddy of the 40-50 lakh SUV segment, enjoying volumes that haven't been seen before in that price band. It is a "can't go wrong" SUV.

It all boils down to individual preferences. Mine are inclined toward the Scorpio-N or even better, the XUV700 .
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fortuners are overpriced in the used market. And you have to worry about the year-limit based restrictions enforced by local bodies like NGTs. The 27-30L Fortuner will be at least 5 year old. Just like 10-year diesel ban in Delhi, more states can come up with bans. Fortuner's resale value does not reflect such constraints and is inflated. Hence not a good option for a used diesel car. If buying a new one is not an option, go for the new Scorpio N. If you can afford new, it is a different story though.
padmrajravi is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroNerd View Post
I'm in the market for a new or used car and am confused between the Mahindra Scorpio-n and the used Toyota Fortuner. A well maintained Fortuner is around 27-30L.
I hope you have experienced body on frame SUV and fits your use case. Body on frames are not everyone's cup of tea and one should take long test drive before finalizing, unless you are used to its characteristics. Car to car Fortuner is a better product overall and clearly feels like a segment above. However the option you are looking here would be 3-5 years old, which might throw up additional tantrums. That said Scorpio being new, wont be safe either, most review here in TBHP point to wait a while before laying hands on brand new Mahindra product. If you are ok with wait times, go with Scorpio as you get brand new car else if you can get hands on a say something like 2019 very well maintained Fortuner , in case you find one.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:54   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Scorpio-N. Reasons = better ride quality (Fortuner is too bumpy for my tastes), lighter steering (Fortuner too heavy at low speeds) and the Scorpio-N is a breeze to drive in the city (Fortuner requires effort).

Of course, the Fortuner is a "can't go wrong" SUV.

-N or even better, the XUV700 .
The Fortuner and it’s second row in particular is rather bumpy and uncomfortable. But it feels so solid and indestructible that if you will primarily drive on highways and poor roads and semi urban and rural, it is a fantastic option, even though it is very expensive, even used. The Scorpio N is a very good choice, because, it also feels nearly as indestructible as the Fortuner does and weighs in at half the price. However, I decidedly do not like it’s too-light electronic power steering, vastly preferring the weightiness of a typical hydraulic power steering such as the one in my Thar. The XUV 700 is a phenomenal effort by Mahindra and they deserve full marks for it. It is really very good. All the finesse of the Koreans and Japanese and even the Germans is there in the XUV700.
You may want to consider the new Hyundai Tucson too, because it promises to be a highly accomplished vehicle. And the Jeep Compass, though a bit older now, is still a comfortable vehicle, a great handler and proven in terms of toughness too.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the Jeep Compass, though a bit older now, is still a comfortable vehicle, a great handler and proven in terms of toughness too.
Well, I considered the Jeep Compass, but there are no Jeep sales and service in Mangalore, and I would have to travel to Bangalore for service, which is 400KMs away from my home town. And Jeep is not a reliable car to buy where there is no service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I hope you have experienced body on frame SUV and fits your use case. Body on frames are not everyone's cup of tea and one should take long test drive before finalizing, unless you are used to its characteristics. Car to car Fortuner is a better product overall and clearly feels like a segment above.

Yes, that's true. Drove the Thar overall, it's a great product, but the ride quality is too bumpy, hence I dropped it. I expected a bumpy ride in the Scorpio-n as well, but it surprised me. It is so much better than the Thar and the bumpiness is negligible.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 21:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged
PetroNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:55   #7
One
BHPian

I am of the firm belief that with the current prices, a used Fortuner of current design 16-17 onwards is expensive whereas a new Fortuner is a cheaper option. Reasons are purely number crunching without any subjectivity:

1. Buying outright for cars is just a waste of money where a car loan's effective Rate of Interest is lower than current FD rates.

2. Taking a car loan to buy a used car is bad though with much higher rates and assumming the 10 year rule coming in nation-wide is a matter of when not if, it just doesn't make sense to risk the 30 odd lakhs in a used Fortuner.

Whichever way I slice and dice it, the used Fortuner, irrespective of any resale value (unless the plan is to get rid of it in a couple of years) is just not worth it. Would rather buy a new one.

All the best in your search

Last edited by One : 12th September 2022 at 21:13.
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

You get everything you need in the Scorpio-N, be it 4x4 with low range, MLD/BLD, safety features, all bells and whistles including Sunroof and Frequency selective Dampers in the suspension(robust too with Double wishbone setup in the front and multilink with Watts linkage at the rear) for a much better ride.

The Scorpio-N is significantly wider and roomier compared to the Fortuner and 3 adults can comfortably sit in the second row compared to Fortuner which feels a bit cramped and narrow (in relative terms).

Also a Fortuner is a part time 4WD, so a used Fortuner can have issues if it has been abused in 4x4 mode (eg: driving in 4x4 mode on paved/tarmac roads which can cause transmission windup as the part time 4WD is supposed to be used only in off-road/slush/gravel roads in slippery conditions off the tarmac).

If its a new vehicle, then Fortuner is a better choice (but not value for money), but a new Scorpio-N is anyday better than a used Fortuner (or any other used vehicle for that matter).

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th September 2022 at 21:09.
for_cars1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 21:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
You get everything you need in the Scorpio-N, be it 4x4 with low range, MLD/BLD, safety features, all bells and whistles including Sunroof and Frequency selective Dampers in the suspension(robust too with Double wishbone setup in the front and multilink with Watts linkage at the rear) for a much better ride.

The Scorpio-N is significantly wider and roomier compared to the Fortuner and 3 adults can comfortably sit in the second row compared to Fortuner which feels a bit cramped and narrow (in relative terms).
While dimensions shows us Scorpio is wider, the interior doesnot feel wide enough. The door pads are thick and eat space and there is considerable gap between door pads and seats. As an example, Endeavour despite being wider, the rear seats were about 1-2 inches narrower than Fortuner. While I didn't measure Scorpio seats, the extra width on paper could not be felt. The third row and boot in Scorpio is significantly poor too. For such a wide car, Mahindra could have done much better packaging.

That said, ScorpioN is much cheaper to own and you get what you pay for. And seeing crazy used car prices, i don't think it's good time to get a used car either.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 22:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having driven all 4 iterations of the Fortuner, I can safely say that the latest (facelift) one is the most evolved and refined. Assuming your budget is ₹ 30 lac, you will get a 2017-18 model at best, and finding one with less than 1 lac km on the odometer will be a matter of luck. A Fortuner of that vintage will certainly be crude compared to the Scorpio N across all aspects.

My suggestion - if budget permits, go for a new Fortuner, or else, a new Scorpio N.
cool_dube is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 21:57   #11
BHPian

My personal bet will be on ScorpioN:

1. Newer car with all bell and whistles
2. Capable and proven powertrains. Less hungry than Fortuner
3. More comfortable (have driven both), light steering is easy on you, 4WD for offroading
4. Cost less for a newer car (vs used one)
5. Low mileage Fortuner are difficult to find and abuse pattern are difficult to perceive unless you know the vehicle owner personally
6. It matters to many people- sunroof
Old 14th September 2022, 09:58   #12
BHPian

I’m in exactly the same boat and have been trawling the web for a used fortuner in the 15l bracket. Every single one is a dealer fiddled one with sketchy histories, I did miss out on a single owner 2011 fortuner with just 80k on the clock on the Tbhp classifieds (quoted at almost 14l). That was a unicorn, it was really clean with a documented history. Long sorry short , I’m still looking for one , and this thread is making me consider the Scorpio n. The only thing that puts me off new diesels is the dpf issues and ad blue top ups. A used t-fort that ticks all the boxes ( a unicorn) is still my no.1 choice though, that vehicle is built to last .
howler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 12:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
@mods apologies for the back to back posts - please merge if required
@OP - do see if this interests you https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...uner/d3118818/
The interiors look clean - a key condition for to when evaluating a used car. I did contemplate driving down to udupi to check it out.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 12:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the ScorpioN to be extremely overpriced, especially the higher trims. It comes with major utility compromises as well: the non sliding middle row and the non removable third row which kills the boot space when folded down.

Will definitely prefer a pre owned Fortuner over a new Scorpio N. The fact that the Toyota is sure sure to provide a trouble free ownership, compared to the niggle prone Mahindras, only makes the decision easier. Plenty of good pre owned Fortuners to be had in the 30-35L range.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th September 2022 at 12:22.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 13:07   #15
BHPian

Personally I think go for Fortuner. Its a better built vehicle. the materials used, the reliability of everything that makes this vehicle are many notches above. The Toyota service is way better than Mahindra (any day) and above all - a Fortuner will not fail you. Yes Scorpio is also solid build, can take some abuse but will start showing age, the service centre will not really take care of the vehicle, the parts used are not top notch and there is still (even after all these years) issues with Mahindra service.

So, I would go for Fortuner.
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks