Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Keep or sell a 4.5 year old Ecosport S TDCI ?
Sell 32 21.05%
Keep 120 78.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2023, 16:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?

Don't sell it, it's a keeper. You already got a good one both financially and mechanically when you purchased it pre-owned. Ecosport was well built and can give both Sonet and City a run for their money. Plus you live in Pune with Mumbai in vicinity there should be no major problem in getting spare parts for the car even in foreseeable future.

You can further future proof yourself by buying replacement parts in advance or keeping stock of ones (like headlamps, taillight, etc) which might be hard to get in future. Plus Ecosport sold in good numbers so spare part support will be good even 5 years down the line. Also, to further alleviate your fears the same car was sold till last year in US and Latin American markets. So lots of ways to get the spare parts, even if they are not the common ones.

That said, reading between the lines I feel you are having an itch to upgrade and want to jump ships since you are getting a good price for it. If that's the case, keep hunting City is definitely not its replacement. Remember Ecosport owners find it very hard to upgrade, same which happens with Octavia and Jetta owners. In my opinion a true upgrade would be XUV700 for the Ecosport without breaching 20-30 lakh price bracket.
AROO7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 17:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Keep! That's a no-brainer decision. They don't make cars like that anymore. I have a 2018 Ford EcoSport myself and similar thoughts had come to my mind. But later on, I decided to keep the car for 10+ years at least. It's built to last, the quality of components is good and moreover, it runs absolutely fine without any issues. This is my comfort zone, and although our Altroz has made us converts to automatic gearboxes, I am not going to sell my EcoSport in a hurry; simply because it is one of a kind!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 20:54   #33
BHPian

It’s an excellent competent vehicle, but I’ll go against the tide & say the City makes more sense. It’s an automatic fun to drive sedan and will give you enough reasons to smile every time you drive it.

For all tasks that require high ground clearance or driving in rougher terrain - your Sonet would happily oblige.
Old 27th January 2023, 11:16   #34
BHPian

Similar dilemma. Had posted on the Ford exit thread. Posting it here now as this is a more relevant thread.

Have a 22K run 2018 top end Eco sport petrol. Been hearing stories of spare parts shortage on Facebook owner forums. I was planning to drive the Eco sport for another couple of years before a proper upgrade.

After listening to spare shortage stories, I'm doubting my decision to hold on to the car. I have been trying to take a decision based on the below parameters:

Reasons to sell:
1. Sellers market now and the Ecosport will fetch a good resale
2. Ford's exit hasn't impacted resale values significantly yet
3. Need an automatic for use in Bangalore and this could be an opportunity to switch
4. High fuel consumption
5. Lack of good FNGs in Bangalore

Reasons to keep:
1. Its barely run and still in top condition
2. Loan free
3. Newer cars in the market lack comparable value for money or safety
4. Fun to drive & engaging
5. Petrol and is pretty future safe

Fellow ecosport owners, what are your plans?
anoopGTkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 16:46   #35
BHPian

I own a diesel ecosport which just turned 5. And i had a really hard time finding a replacement thats worth it! Because it is such an awesome car. I easily get about 15 to 17 kmpl in the city and long drives are incredibly economical. It rides so well on the highway. Drives like new even today. I abandoned the idea of selling it and would advise you the same!
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 20:02   #36
BHPian

Keep it. Ecosport is a very capable vehicle. I do not have one but several of my friends have and we have taken them to several destinations where we could not have ever thought of taking a Suzuki or a Hyundai. Recently, we went on a trip along a difficult terrain in two Ecosports which is actually an area meant for Boleros. Please check the video below for details.

amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Just completed a 1000 + Km Pune-Goa round trip in the car. I feel like I already knew I should keep the car, but was just looking for some affirmations from a third person's POV. Have decided to hold on to this car for atleast another 5 years!

Ecosport S is a keeper! I had infact changed the 205/50/17 Bridgestone Ecopia's to the Ceat Securadrive 205/55/17 size just a day prior to this trip. Now even the low speed ride quality has improved by about 20 %, and the car too appears a bit taller.

Couldn't help but have the car washed at a wash centre nearby to my hotel in Goa. Everyone kept staring at it, like it was a brand new vehicle. Will let the picture do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?-img_20230130_110816.jpg  

07CR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 16:13   #38
BHPian

I would suggest Keep the car. You will never get the cornering ability or piece of mind on bad roads. Honda city has awesome legroom but the softer suspension and huge speed breakers will make you regret the change

Last edited by Safedriver2023 : 30th January 2023 at 16:18. Reason: Typos
Safedriver2023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 17:28   #39
BHPian

I would sell it.

Infact, I used to have a '13 City and 'upgraded' to the ' 19 Ecosport Titanium +. While I enjoyed the City with its smooth drive and great rear leg room as well as the huge boot, my reason for selling it was due to the service.

Had a lot of issues with the service centres here in Bangalore and just don't think they matched that Honda level that I had experienced in other countries. They even damaged my car during one of the services! Infact, that turned out to be the last service!

With the Ecosport, you get the peppy engine and the great ground clearance. While it is superb with its compactness, there just isn't enough legroom in the rear seat and the boot is awfully small.

Given Ford's exit, I will also be selling my Ecosport in a few days. Figured I am still getting a good price for it, so why not take the plunge now rather than lose out on more later.

Hope this helps. Would love to hear on what you've decided.
Cruzn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 18:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver2023 View Post
I would suggest Keep the car. You will never get the cornering ability or piece of mind on bad roads. Honda city has awesome legroom but the softer suspension and huge speed breakers will make you regret the change
Thanks, decided to keep it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post

Thanks, but I decided to keep it. Infact even upsized the tyre (with same width, but larger sidewall), and the performance has got even better. You can read about my recent Goa trip(1000+ km) in above posts, where the Ecosport just flattered me with great power delivery, excellent dynamics, great fuel efficiency and it's off roading abilities (patches in Chorla ghat and WLS were scary)!
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 18:22   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, if my eight year old and 1.45 lacs kms run Ecosport can be driven without any fuss, I don’t see any reason for the newer Ecosport S not to. Service is still great and parts are not a problem, at least not in the major cities and towns. I can only talk about my experience and going by the responses here in the thread, I am sure OP will surely not regret to keep this gem of a vehicle.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 00:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Able to get a pre loved a low run (28000 kms)great condition Honda City zx CVT (5th gen, late 2020 model) at about ecosport selling price + 3 lakhs. Wise decision?
I own a 5th Generation 2021 Honda City with 8,000 kms and I can guarantee you that it will not make you happy. Don't get me wrong, its a decent comfortable car to putter around in town, but won't give you the Diesel punch and fuel economy is around 10 kmpl in and around town. I haven't done serious highway runs on it so can't vouch for the highway economy. The CVT sucks the joy out of this thing. Headroom is very limited for people over 6 feet.

Pros - ride is excellent, A/C is great, good leg room in the rear, comfortable seats.

Cons - CVT, handling is poor and not like the old first gen City, lots of missing features, interior fit and finish, cheap interior (except those comfy seats), rear camera and infotainment sucks, lots of rattles and creaks, LED lights vibrate, headroom is limited in front and especially in the rear.

The forum has already voted, but to sell or not to sell the EcoSport is up to you, either way don't get a Honda City.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 13:29   #43

You have an excellent product with you (EcoSport TDCI S). Those alloy wheels are one of the best design's that any OEM could offer. I personally would love to see those whole day and night with out getting bored. No other product in the same segment, +1 segment could match the overall feel factor of the EcoSport added with excellent ground clearance. Since its a BS4 variant you don't have the DPF issues too.. It's way too value for money product and makes sense to retain rather than selling.. Happy driving and enjoy.
MC@1986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 21:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Would suggest to retain it, even if it goes to scrapyard at the end of its life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would suggest retaining the EcoSport S. While the 5th-gen City is a great car, the EcoSport too is among the best Compact SUVs ever sold in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Easiest decision ever. Keep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You will never get another one quite like it.
Please keep it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If you are worried about the re-sale value of the car post 5 years, may as well use it and sell it 2-3 years down the road by when the re-sale value would be low anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Your resale will come down very quickly once it passes 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
If your Ecosport is Manual transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
I guess the second reason listed by you under "Keep" settles the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
RETAIN

You do not get cars like the EcoSport now, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
Depends upon your financial outlook for this particular case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidg View Post
Keep the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
weighed up nicely, the engine spooled up quickly and the chassis answered every question I asked of it, taking me back to the Fiesta and Icon Rocam/Duratec days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
When it comes to handling, the Ecosport is a fantastic car, so its not easy to take a call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Voted for sell as
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Keep it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I’m going to provide a counter view here against the general tide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you don't need the ground clearance or the diesel - I would look at selling it purely because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_S View Post
If you are person who always has worry of spare parts availability on back of your mind. I would suggest you sell it.

Couple of years down the line, when parts availability becomes little difficult you might not even use this car so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
100% Hang onto it. Selling the car won't get you much monetarily and the true 'cost of replacement' of this car is well beyond the 20 lakh mark. The Ecosport was a gem of a car and given the fact that you have only done 33,000 Kms the car is brand new (at least in my dictionary).

My suggestion would be to spruce up the car a bit and carry out any overhauls that might be required at the 5 year mark according to the maintenance schedule. Fords are also one of the most mod friendly options out there in the mass market after VW, you will find many threads on the forum with tastily modified ecosports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
Definitely keep. Ecosport is one of the new cars with minimum or zero known/unknown issues. The service is also good and parts availability is okay.
You will surely get a buyer and a good price if you want to sell. But if I were you I would keep it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I would suggest you to take a trip to few of the pre owned car shops in your vicinity and have a casual look at the prices mentioned. This one step would be enough for you to realise it's a no brainer to retain the Eco Sport, that too in TDCi guise, Ford non existent in the country notwithstanding.

Such good diesels are a thing of the past. And no modern car in the price range can hold a candle to Eco sport's driving dynamics. If I were you, that itself is a big enough reason to hold onto that tightly and enjoy her(sans the BS6 tantrums)while it lasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I have owned both Ecosport and Honda City and both cars are absolutely flawless.

It's nearly impossible to upgrade from EcoSport as for me this is pretty much the perfect sub-4m pseudo suv. Fun to drive, good ride, and absolutely niggle free experience.

BUT City is a touch better in every aspect. More fun to drive, more luxurious inside out.

If you don't care about the ground clearance or the slightly lower mileage definitely upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I would recommend that you "ghasao" the car for at least 12-15 years. I own a 2018 Ecosport Petrol AT and for me this car is a go-anywhere car; very reliable and service costs/spares are reasonable.

In nearly 5 years of ownership and 56k done, I still love to drive the Ecosport. One thing that we all know - its not the best in terms of fuel economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
As you getting the same price that you paid more than 2 years ago, I would say sell it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
I would recommend keeping the Ecosport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My Ecosport S is 4.5 years old and similar thoughts crossed my mind as well, but I just could not think of any vehicle upto 25Lakhs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiVW View Post
Thats an easy one.! Definitely keep the Ford Ecosport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
[b]Don't sell it, it's a keeper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Keep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
It’s an excellent competent vehicle, but I’ll go against the tide & say the City makes more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I own a diesel ecosport which just turned 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
Keep it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver2023 View Post
I would suggest Keep the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
I would sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Well, if my eight year old and 1.45 lacs kms run Ecosport can be
Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I own a 5th Generation 2021 Honda City with 8,000 kms and I can gua], handling is poor and not like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC@1986 View Post
You have an excellent product with you (EcoSport
As many of you have already suggested. I would be keeping the car. Recently concluded a 1000+ kms trip and my faith in car was multiplied a lot. Ecosport remains a marvel and gave unbounded satisfaction. I have posted a pic of the car on the trip just above in this thread, it still looks marvelous.

Thanks all for your opinions
07CR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 16:19   #45
BHPian

I'd say retain it! There's no other car under 30 lakhs which gives such a package. It's fill it shut it and forget it attitude has made me fall in love more with it. Parts aren't an issue as it can be procured from Europe or SE Asia and tons of shops in Chennai to provide parts. I bought my Red dragon after Ford announced its exit and I currently have 2 EcoSports (both the same model and engine type) at home and will keep it till scrap. EcoSport=RX 100 on 4 wheels! Just see the used car prices for the 2018 Ecosport: All are above 9L in Bangalore for a Titanium+ and due to me, a dozen of them have bought EcoSport after I bought my red dragon. That's the craze this little car has. I've driven to every nook and corner of the country in both my cars and they have been very reliable except for punctures and battery swap for the dragon.

Here are pics of both my cars: Red Dragon and Blue Baby!Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?-20230213_16590801.jpeg

Such and advanced interior even Ford failed to replicate in India. The AC can be controlled via voice too
Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?-20230118_165052.jpg

The Semi - identical twins
Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?-20230108_141009.jpg

Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?-20230213_165523.jpg

Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?-20221231_080916.jpg

Last edited by jithin23 : 16th February 2023 at 16:28.
jithin23 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed