Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Keep or sell a 4.5 year old Ecosport S TDCI ?
Sell 32 21.05%
Keep 120 78.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 08:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?

I own a pre loved Ecosport S TDCI purchased in June 2020. It's a July 2018 make and currently run 33000 kms. It's doing perfectly fine for now and without any issues or even minor niggles. I also have a 2021 Kia Sonet HTX iMT (turbo petrol)

I had also posted an ownership report about my Ecosport a few months back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...cosport-s.html (My Pre-Owned Black Ford EcoSport S)

Since in a few months it will turn 5 years old, I am now contemplating whether to keep or sell this car (worried the resale will nosedive post 5 year mark). Reasons to keep or sale-

Keep-
  • It's perfectly fine for now. Even gives healthy mileage in low traffic Pune conditions (18-20) or on highways 22-24.
  • Love this car a lot. Still looks like new and in all black shade turns heads !
  • Everything else in the market (10-13 L) feels a downgrade in the built quality, high speed ride and handling departments.
  • The service costs still have been reasonable (done 2 services post Ford left)

Sell-
  • I am still able to get about the price when I purchased it pre loved! Not sure how long this will stay the same.
  • Been reading news Ford dealerships taken over by Tata, can't be sure the service will remain same.
  • Able to get a pre loved a low run (28000 kms)great condition Honda City zx CVT (5th gen, late 2020 model) at about ecosport selling price + 3 lakhs. Wise decision?
  • Will the service cost increase a lot in near future? Better sell it off ? What if a major part replacement is needed ?

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd January 2023 at 09:57. Reason: Minor formatting edit.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 08:16   #2
BHPian

re: Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?

Would suggest to retain it, even if it goes to scrapyard at the end of its life.
1. You love it and it's niggle free with low service cost and healthy mileage.
2. No BS6 rubbish and the best phase of an engine to own.
3. Nothing good can be bought in the budget you paid for the Ecosport. Either you will have to settle for less powerful petrol or dpf/adblue problem ridden diesels.
4. The S trim came with considerable amount of goodies.
5. Safe build with 6 airbags.
6. Ecosport was a hit and sold in large numbers and there will be no issues with aftermarket parts even if ford shuts its official service centers.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2023 at 15:43. Reason: Word replaced
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 09:28   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Keep or sell my 4.5-year old Ford EcoSport S?

Would suggest retaining the EcoSport S. While the 5th-gen City is a great car, the EcoSport too is among the best Compact SUVs ever sold in India. Vis a vis the City, you get higher ground clearance, diesel fuel economy & your black S variant looks hot!

As any car ages, the ownership costs do increase because of wear & tear. But that's always cheaper than splurging on a new car (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!).
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 09:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Easiest decision ever. Keep.

GTO and others have made good points. To add to it; Instead of evaluating on the point that you'll get the price you paid from a new buyer, focus instead on the other points.
1. You probably got an excellent deal when you purchased it hence the above benefit.
2. You aren't going to get any such benefit given the sellers market (in used) or the much higher prices given the equivalent car options.
3. Still a far way to go (atleast till 8th year mark) before major maintenance costs might hit you.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd January 2023 at 09:58. Reason: Minor typo
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 09:52   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

You will never get another one quite like it.
Please keep it. And the icing on the cake is that you are being more ecologically sensitive too by running your 5 year old car.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 09:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are worried about the re-sale value of the car post 5 years, may as well use it and sell it 2-3 years down the road by when the re-sale value would be low anyway.
Since you have mentioned the car is in good condition as well, there is no point in selling it unless you want a change.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would sell it If I were in the same position. I have had some bad experiences trying to live with a car after Chevrolet exited the market. If you are getting the price you paid for it, this is a good time to exit the relationship. When the manufacturer leaves, the service center experience declines steadily. The number of touchpoints will come down and the remaining ones will try to fleece you. Your resale will come down very quickly once it passes 5 years.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 23rd January 2023 at 10:10.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:13   #8
BHPian

Retain!

1) Sweet spot for pre-owned car is 10-30K kms for getting one and 60-90K kms for getting rid of one. Yours is at starting range

2) EcoSport is an amazing car and you will have to shell out a lot more to get something similar in diesel (Brezza / Venue/ Nexon no match for dynamics / build), combo of fun to drive + amazing fuel economy

3) Yes, service cost will go up , but trust me it will be a better value proposition than selling it and getting a new car,

According to me one should keep new car for atleast 8-10 years , and pre-owned for 5-6 years/ 40-50k kms (after purchase) to extract most out of it. In 5+ years depreciation due to ownership drop spreads out. By 2026 you would have covered 60-70K and in a position to opt for better upgrade. In fact yours is just 33K driven you could even keep it till 2030 and by then resale value will become immaterial as you would have recovered everything invested.

I got a petrol 2014 Duster in 2018 (pre Covid) 30K on ODO , now it is 80K ODO and i am planning to sell (post Covid prices) , i am getting only two lakh less then my purchase price of 2018. 2L for 4.5 years / 50K kms is nothing

Last edited by Asoon : 23rd January 2023 at 10:17.
Asoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:42   #9
BHPian

If your Ecosport is Manual transmission, sell it and go for the CVT Honda. That is the only reason I can find to justify your thought process from my point of view.
riteshritesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:56   #10
BHPian

I guess the second reason listed by you under "Keep" settles the matter.

Plus, there is no financial prudence in selling a car after just 5 years.

Also, the EcoSport would definitely be the more practical car to have compared to a City.

So keep the Eco and enjoy it while it lasts
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

RETAIN

You do not get cars like the EcoSport now, period.

The City may give all the passengers the same comfort all around, but it won’t give the FTD feel behind the wheel that the EcoSport gives!

NGL, even-though I sold my EcoSport to upgrade to a BMW, I still miss my EcoSport everyday! In the CSUV segment, nothing even comes close, the steering feel, the handling, the solid tank-like build and the stability at high speeds is simply unmatched out there!

If you plan to upgrade to a Compass, only then sell the EcoSport S, because according to me that is the best upgrade from a EcoSport considering the FTD nature.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd January 2023 at 13:31.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:04   #12
BHPian

Depends upon your financial outlook for this particular case. If you would like to get a good resale value money from which you would like to use for purchasing another car or to make an investment, then sell it. If money is not a consideration at all at this time, retain it.

The resale value is bound to nosedive and your apprehensions about service continuity and quality is also a reality. But a point to remember is that Ford left all of a sudden - so one can not be so sure that same situation will not reoccur with another company other than Maruti, Hyundai and Tata that does not sell in huge numbers.
Tarrodie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:34   #13

Keep the car.

As almost everyone suggested, this was the best era for diesel powered cars. I own a Chevy cruze which is over 12 years old. No problem maintaining it with a trusted FNG.

Ford Eco sport requires relatively less maintenance so it would be best if you keep this car.
sidg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 14:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Had it not been for the uncertainty surrounding Ford's tenure in the Indian market, I would probably be driving an Ecosport S TDCi right now. Of all the compact SUVs I tested, this was the car that impressed me the most with the way it felt from behind the wheel.

Somehow, inspite of the strong and heavy feel of every body panel, the little Ford felt sprightly and nimble. Out on the highway the steering weighed up nicely, the engine spooled up quickly and the chassis answered every question I asked of it, taking me back to the Fiesta and Icon Rocam/Duratec days.

It is an absolute joy to drive and a perfectly running Ecosport should be treasured. Anything else in that segment will feel like a significant step down in the driving dynamics department. If this isn't particularly important to you, change can also be good. Do what feels right for you.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 15:49   #15

With my Figo, I am in a comparable predicament and am still keeping it. The last time I went to Ford for service, they weren't sure if the parts would still be available after a year. When it comes to handling, the Ecosport is a fantastic car, so its not easy to take a call.
Autonaut is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks