Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2023, 12:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I sell my 2-year old Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel?

Sell it off immediately. That price is insane and it will only go down from here.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 13:25   #17
BHPian

Sell the Crysta -> Get the money -> Book an Automatic Hybrid HyCross -> Move out -> The HyCross will be ready for delivery or nearing delivery when you come back home.
QuentinTino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 13:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKannan View Post
I have a Crysta VX Diesel 2021 Dec model which has hardly run 11k km and is maintained in excellent condition.
That's as good as new.

Quote:
I also have a Jazz CVT which is used by my wife since she is not comfortable driving the Crysta.
Sell the Jazz. Employ a driver to drive your wife around in the Crysta.

Quote:
I will be travelling out of India for 6+ months and would have to keep Crysta idle for this period (also there is a car loan EMI to be paid). And I am not sure what will be the effect of this long hibernation on the engine or vehicle.
6 months is nothing if the car is used once in a while. But if you take my above suggestion, you won't have that problem.

Quote:
So I was exploring the option of selling the Crysta, and I am getting offers up to 27L. I bought it for 27.15L a year ago.
Tempting as it seems, you have mentioned that you need a 7 seater and you plan to buy one on your return. Just retaining the Crysta makes more sense.
pedrolourenco is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 15:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need your views/suggestion since I am in a dilemma.

So the question is should I sell the Crysta and get a diesel (no petrol pls) automatic 7 seater (TATA, Mahindra, KIA) later this year/next year or hold on to it?

Thanks in advance.

Kannan
I would say keep the car.

If you can't or won't let someone else drive the car for you and you have permanent parking, I would say store the car.

Add StaBil for diesel to the fuel and run the engine for 5 minutes. Link here

Disconnect the battery

You should be good when you come back. At worst, you will have to replace the battery.

You would definitely need to service the car and replace fluids.

Otherwise you should be good
Old 26th February 2023, 15:38   #20
BHPian

Just sell your innova now as 27 lakhs is no joke. You can gift your self something more modern and premium like an xuv700. You are going out of station for 6 months plus and it makes sense to book the xuv now in diesel. You might get the delivery when you return back to India. Your wife and you will like the features and your wife will not face a problem to drive the xuv700 in the city or highway as it is very easy to drive when compared to the innova. The xuv boasts a lighter steering too. You can check out the safari facelift too.
Old 26th February 2023, 15:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting offers up to 27L. I bought it for 27.15L a year ago.

So the question is should I sell the Crysta and get a diesel (no petrol pls) automatic 7 seater (TATA, Mahindra, KIA) later this year/next year or hold on to it?

Thanks in advance.

Kannan
I’m with the other members who are of the opinion that you should let the car go.

Only thing, when you’re considering a replacement, do reconsider your “diesel only” policy. It’s only a matter of time before the NCR rule banning 10+ year old diesel vehicles from plying on the roads will be extended to other metros (I see that you reside in Bangalore).
Old 26th February 2023, 16:09   #22
BHPian

One key variable you missed out in the equation is your EMI.

Let's assume it's Rs. 40,000 and you'll be out of the country for 8 months. Then it's a cash outlay of 3.2 lakhs.

That's enough money to upgrade to an Innova Hycross Hybrid VX when you come back. Or an XUV700 if that's your thing.

There are tangible and intangible benefits. You'll get a newer better car, you get the automatic you desire, don't have to deal with the hassle of upkeep etc.

I would sell it.
inwester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 19:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need your views/suggestion since I am in a dilemma. I have a Crysta VX Diesel 2021 Dec model which has hardly run 11k km and is maintained in excellent condition. I also have a Jazz CVT which is used by my wife since she is not comfortable driving the Crysta. I will be travelling out of India for 6+ months and would have to keep Crysta idle for this period (also there is a car loan EMI to be paid). And I am not sure what will be the effect of this long hibernation on the engine or vehicle. So I was exploring the option of selling the Crysta, and I am getting offers up to 27L. I bought it for 27.15L a year ago.

About my usage & requirement, we usually travel 2 road trips a year for around 6k km and need a 7 seater since we are a family of 5 + luggage. And I don't prefer rentals.

Thanks in advance.

Kannan
You mention that you'll be traveling for 6+ months.

If it's only six months, I would say hold on to the car. You've clearly invested not just money but emotions too, and have perhaps done a lot of research before buying this car. Also, it will likely be the last practical diesel you may own, before being forced to move the EV/Hybrid way. The joy of owning a a torquey diesel with Toyota's bulletproof reliability is not a combination that can be easily matched. Six months of storage is nothing for a Toyota if done properly, using the suggestions others have given.

If there's a chance your stay abroad may extend to a year or beyond though, the equation may start to change. You'll have to start factoring in the cost of capital (EMI, interest), depreciation of the car, etc. At that point, it might even make sense to come back and buy a pre-owned Diesel Innova of the same vintage at a substantially lower price. You would have benefited from having earned interest on the capital you saved, as well as buying the next one at a good depreciation to the price today. That's the bean counter in me speaking!
Old 26th February 2023, 21:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

6 months is hardly a period to worry about. IT will be perfectly fine when you return. Get it frequently cleaned.

Why are you worrying about EMI? That is last thing to worry about. When you borrowed money, you pay. Thats all right. Most in the country did the same for good part of Covid too.

IF you dont like the car or care less about it, sell it. But, you will not get a new Crysta diesel when you are back if you want one also. If Toyota relaunches one, of course will be much more expensive.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 23:24   #25
BHPian

6 months is completely fine for a reliable vehicle like a Toyota. The Innova is a very comfortable vehicle and can easily withstand the 6 months of inactivity. But if your better half finds the Innova to be cumbersome and the price for resale is nearly the price that you paid selling it would be the best decision. But do be mindful of the fact that you will not get another Innova and even if you do it will be super expensive. If you want to purchase another 7 seater automatic do remember that it will not be as reliable as the Crysta. Other option is to keep it and hire a driver to drive the missus around town. Also if you do sell it just invest the money for like 8 to 12 months and you can easily get something like Octavia or some pre owned luxury class vehicle. Hope I was helpful.
Old 27th February 2023, 05:51   #26
BHPian

At 27L for a VX, its definitely best to let it go. If Diesel scrapping rule hits other states in the next few years, the resale value will drop drastically.
Old 27th February 2023, 08:48   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I suggest you keep it. Takes a lot to break a Crysta and it will crank easily even after a year (provided the battery has charge).
As others before have suggested, make sure it is protected from rats and other animals who can chew through wiring and have someone drive it once a week for best results.
Besides, the way things are going, you may still be able to sell it for 27L 2-3 years down the line.

Edit: If you still want something automatic, evaluate the XUV700/Scorpio N. If you book now, you might be able to take delivery once you're back.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 27th February 2023 at 08:49.
Old 27th February 2023, 10:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Unless its your dream car which I doubt an Innova Crysta can be, go ahead and sell it without thinking again. Resale prices are bonkers right now and you are not losing a penny after 2 yrs. When you come back relook at the market and buy something more fresh, maybe Innova Hycross. This decision in my view is specially easier given that you have a 2nd car in the family which keeps the show running.
Old 27th February 2023, 12:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizaro View Post
27L for VX model seems unrealistic. Im here expecting 25L my July 2021 ZX 2.4.

You should sell the car asap then.
I have been getting many offers from North Karnataka for 26.5L to 27L, but none from Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
If the car is going to be useful for you in 6 months for another 5-6 yrs, keep it. If you want to anyway switch to automatics, sell it.
Yes, my plan was to keep the Crysta for at least 10 yrs or till the diesel vehicle ban rule kicks-in in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
Just sell your innova now as 27 lakhs is no joke. You can gift your self something more modern and premium like an xuv700. You are going out of station for 6 months plus and it makes sense to book the xuv now in diesel. You might get the delivery when you return back to India. Your wife and you will like the features and your wife will not face a problem to drive the xuv700 in the city or highway as it is very easy to drive when compared to the innova. The xuv boasts a lighter steering too. You can check out the safari facelift too.
This did cross my mind - booking an XUV Auto or Scorpio N Auto before leaving India, and it would be ready for delivery when I return !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
You mention that you'll be traveling for 6+ months.

If it's only six months, I would say hold on to the car. You've clearly invested not just money but emotions too, and have perhaps done a lot of research before buying this car. Also, it will likely be the last practical diesel you may own, before being forced to move the EV/Hybrid way. The joy of owning a a torquey diesel with Toyota's bulletproof reliability is not a combination that can be easily matched. Six months of storage is nothing for a Toyota if done properly, using the suggestions others have given.

If there's a chance your stay abroad may extend to a year or beyond though, the equation may start to change. You'll have to start factoring in the cost of capital (EMI, interest), depreciation of the car, etc. At that point, it might even make sense to come back and buy a pre-owned Diesel Innova of the same vintage at a substantially lower price. You would have benefited from having earned interest on the capital you saved, as well as buying the next one at a good depreciation to the price today. That's the bean counter in me speaking!
The possibility of the trip extending beyond 6 months is just 5-10%. And I had done a lot of research before going in for Crysta - I wanted a trouble-free, torquey diesel, with less gizmos and electronics, and most important "old school" Body-on-frame design for its rugged build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I suggest you keep it. Takes a lot to break a Crysta and it will crank easily even after a year (provided the battery has charge).
As others before have suggested, make sure it is protected from rats and other animals who can chew through wiring and have someone drive it once a week for best results.
Besides, the way things are going, you may still be able to sell it for 27L 2-3 years down the line.

Edit: If you still want something automatic, evaluate the XUV700/Scorpio N. If you book now, you might be able to take delivery once you're back.
Rats is a problem at my place though the car is in closed parking. Only other option is to get few cats I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Unless its your dream car which I doubt an Innova Crysta can be, go ahead and sell it without thinking again. Resale prices are bonkers right now and you are not losing a penny after 2 yrs. When you come back relook at the market and buy something more fresh, maybe Innova Hycross. This decision in my view is specially easier given that you have a 2nd car in the family which keeps the show running.
Crysta was my dream and "Final" car (this is my 5th car) and I had no plans of changing unless the diesel vehicle ban rule came up forcing a change.
SKannan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 12:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crysta was my dream and "Final" car (this is my 5th car) and I had no plans of changing unless the diesel vehicle ban rule came up forcing a change.
If that's the case then its an easy answer. 6months is hardly a long enough duration to sell car unless you are not certain of your return. Most of us didnt use the car for years during the pandemic. Your wife can always drive it around in parking lot and start the car every week for 15mins. keep the car and enjoy it upon return

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks