1.5L Turbo Petrol + 6-speed iMT 13 4.18%
1.5L Turbo Petrol + 7-speed DCT 150 48.23%
1.5L Diesel + 6-speed iMT 9 2.89%
1.5L Diesel + 6-speed AT 93 29.90%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2023, 14:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
DCT in Indian conditions is a BIG risk. Would never buy it for my peace of mind. Although it’s among the best in the market. The diesel AT would’ve been my first choice, but it’s crippled with DPF and related issues. The petrol NA with IVT, though not the most powerful one, offers just the right combination of enough power, great drivability and above everything else, peace of mind.
I'm relatively new to this and keep reading concerns like this about DCT. But are there really any issues with Hyundai/Kia DCT or are these just speculations? How long have then been around? I'm yet to see anyone (Verna users?) having ANY sort of complaints against DCT. Hence confused.
Old 30th August 2023, 14:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post
I'm relatively new to this and keep reading concerns like this about DCT. But are there really any issues with Hyundai/Kia DCT or are these just speculations? How long have then been around? I'm yet to see anyone (Verna users?) having ANY sort of complaints against DCT. Hence confused.
Even I'm in the same boat and given my wish to enjoy a turbo engine before ICE become extinct I was wondering if the HTX+ variant with IMT+TGDI combo would make sense. I can still drive the turbo without the fear of DCT failures.
Old 30th August 2023, 15:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Oh No!!! The downside is that the way this variant is placed at just 60k below GTX+DCT. For this 60k I lose ADAS, 360 cam, auto hold, EPB etc.

Just when I thought to end this whole variant confusion by going with the head, your viewpoint has just reignited that confusion. HTX+DCT versus HTX IVT - - heart vs mind?
I would really suggest you to go for the GTX+ if you can. As you pointed out its just 60k premium over HTX+ and you are getting tonnes of useful features. Why not go all in
ssoni.1411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 15:59   #19
BHPian

I would choose the 1.5 Turbo DCT no matter what. 160 HP is excellent for Indian roads and the DCT will provide quick shifts.

There has been a lot of talk on the reliability of DCT's, but our family has 2 DCT cars:

1. Our 2019 Hyundai Venue SX+ Turbo DCT with 21000+ km.
2. My uncles 2023 Kia Carens Luxury Plus 1.5 DCT with around 2500 km.

Both of these cars have been running smoothly since delivery without a single transmission related issue, which makes the DCT reliable in our case.
Old 30th August 2023, 17:27   #20
BHPian

Always go for the most powerful engine option in any given price segment. For example if your budget is 15-20 lakhs:
Petrol - 1.5 Turbo Petrol DCT or 2.0 mStallion Mahindra. Couldn’t go wrong with Seltos, Kushaq, Taigun, Slavia, Virtus and XUV700.
Diesel - 2.2 mHawk Mahindra. Nothing else comes close.
Your smile from using shiny new features may wane over time but the exhilaration from tapping the accelerator of a powerful engine will not.
true_sedan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 17:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I'm relatively new to this and keep reading concerns like this about DCT. But are there really any issues with Hyundai/Kia DCT or are these just speculations? How long have then been around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post

1. Our 2019 Hyundai Venue SX+ Turbo DCT with 21000+ km.
This is exactly what I was asking for. 4 years and 20k+ km are good enough to know if there are any issues right? I'm sure many others would have clocked even more kms.

I wonder if most of these concerns are coming from what happened with DSG engines on VW 1.0.
Old 30th August 2023, 18:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni.1411 View Post
I would really suggest you to go for the GTX+ if you can. As you pointed out its just 60k premium over HTX+ and you are getting tonnes of useful features. Why not go all in
On a spec and price sheet analysis, you are right. That's where I wanted to put my money as well.

But couple of extensive test drives were more than enough for me to realize that the ride quality of GTX+DCT with 18 inchers is not for me. If I can't bear the ride quality, I am not sure what's the point of going all in.

On the contrary, HTX+DCT was very acceptable. Hence the dilemma HTX+DCT vs HTX IVT.

Last edited by headbanger : 30th August 2023 at 18:17.
Old 30th August 2023, 18:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Are the efficiency figures quoted for diesel including the extra fuel a Diesel vehicle consumes during regeneration? I believe we need to keep the vehicle running for 30 mins or so, and in the same duration the rpm would rise to around 2-4K and also we need to keep the AC on full blast.
This is when we run a forced DPF regen. Usually, if the vehicle detects that it can perform a regen on the move, it will happily do so in the background. The FE hit is minimal in that case.

Since the discussion is about Kia, the forced DPF regen usually takes around 20 min with the RPM hovering around 2-2.5K mark. I was told by the ASC that this consumes approximately 0.75 - 1 L of Diesel.
Old 30th August 2023, 18:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
We have a 2020 1.4 Turbo DCT in our extended family and it has shown DCT troubles a few times. Transmission heating is one of them - it just hates b2b traffic conditions and you have to take utmost care not to over stress it which takes away your peace of mind. I think there are similar experiences documented in TBHP as well.

But if you have the risk appetite and it’s not going to spend too much time in stop and go traffic, go ahead with the purchase, it will bring a smile on your face. I love driving that car on open roads though it does feel a little lethargic in lower gears.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 18:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

I chose the 1.5 turbo petrol + DCT combo. Our Altroz made us converts to dual clutch gearboxes and now there’s no turning back! I would rather keep a backup SIP reserve for the post 5 year mark when there’s a chance of the DCT gearbox problems. The smooth shifting of the DCA gearbox is so addictive in our Altroz, that I can imagine how beautiful a similar gearbox would be on the Seltos turbo petrol! Hands down this would be the choice if I had been in the market for a new car. If there was a second choice it would be the diesel + 6AT combo.
Old 30th August 2023, 19:03   #26
BHPian

Voted for 1.5 Diesel AT.

Power is king, but I cannot bring myself to fully trust a dual clutch, regardless of make, as my daily driver.
Old 30th August 2023, 21:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what I was asking for. 4 years and 20k+ km are good enough to know if there are any issues right? I'm sure many others would have clocked even more kms.
There is another Venue owner who had the same SX+ DCT trim as ours. He has written a whole ownership thread and had clocked 65000 km on it before selling it this year. I will give you the link to his thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...up-sold-8.html (Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!)
Raghav07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 21:38   #28
BHPian

The turbo petrol manual has performed par excellence in my approx 2 years journey with my Kia. One feels the difference especially after driving any other car with a either lesser power or a NA engine.

It was a mistake not to buy the DCT. With a more powerful engine, 1.5 DCT highly recommended.
Old 30th August 2023, 22:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I chose the 1.5 turbo petrol + DCT combo. Our Altroz made us converts to dual clutch gearboxes and now there’s no turning back! I would rather keep a backup SIP reserve for the post 5 year mark when there’s a chance of the DCT gearbox problems. The smooth shifting of the DCA gearbox is so addictive in our Altroz, that I can imagine how beautiful a similar gearbox would be on the Seltos turbo petrol! Hands down this would be the choice if I had been in the market for a new car. If there was a second choice it would be the diesel + 6AT combo.
I recently did an extensive test drive of the Seltos 1.5T+DCT along with a friend who owns the MG Hector with 1.5T+CVT. In my friend's view who drives his Hector in city, he felt the initial pick up of the DCT was slow- this statement coming from a Hector owner driving the sedate CVT gearbox surprised me. I again drove his car and arrived on the same conclusion that the initial response is a tad bit slow, albeit to protect the DCT gearbox, which is perfectly fine with me. This DCT gearbox is completely in its own element beyond the 2nd gear. DCT it is for me!
Old 31st August 2023, 04:12   #30
BHPian

I booked the GTX+ with the 1.5 Turbo Petrol and DCT combo after the TD. I have driven mostly turbo charged engines with my first being a Tata Indica with a Turbo Diesel, next was a Honda Amaze S-MT with a Turbo Diesel. All this while I was driving close to 600 kms a week so chose a Diesel. Now that most of my driving is going to be with the city with a Once a Quarter highway run I chose the more powerful 1.5 Turbo Petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks